Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What are those things our players wear on their arms?

Started by jkstock04, February 04, 2009, 11:11:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jkstock04

Whats up with these things?  I've noticed all season a good majority of our guys wear those spandex sleeves on one arm.  What is the purpose of these things?  The main reason I'm bringing this up is because the past 2 or 3 games I haven't seen one player from any of the opposing teams wearing those things...so is this just a Razorback fashion statement or do those things actually provide a purpose?
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

HawgAdvocate

It's called a shooter's sleeve. Although many use them for the fashion, they are also used to keep the arm warm and compressed.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Hogbody

jkstock04

Quote from: Hogbody on February 04, 2009, 11:24:11 pm
basically fashion.  Might help a little bit, but not likely enough for much difference.

http://basketbawful.blogspot.com/2007/07/pickup-gear-shooting-sleeve.html
LOL...thats hilarious.  Kinda what I figured but honestly I wasn't 100% sure.  Call me old fashioned but I guarantee u Jordan or Bird would've never wore those freakin things.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Hogbody

They are kinda nice for keeping sweat from running onto your shooting hand, but they get old after wearing it for a while

Swine & Cheese Club

Quote from: jkstock04 on February 04, 2009, 11:33:38 pm
LOL...thats hilarious.  Kinda what I figured but honestly I wasn't 100% sure.  Call me old fashioned but I guarantee u Jordan or Bird would've never wore those freakin things.

Yeah, probably wouldn't go too well with those short shorts they wore.

aredwolfrazorback

yea its a compression sleeve. allen iverson wears one.  keeps the arm warm and provides a little extra support.

go :razorback:
With all the beers and all the cheers, I'm a hog fan for the rest of my years.

UA 2010
ASU 2008

clifflee4mvp

iverson's originally had something to help his elbow bursitis too i think. better than the tights that lebron and tmac and those guys were wearing before the NBA banned them.
Quote from: Cooper on May 25, 2009, 08:52:19 am
I have no idea. I don't know anything about it. I just click the first server on the list, follow some people around and stare in awe at the pets that look like He-Man's battle cat.

Arkansas Football, it's the players running through the "A", hog hats, it's more than 70,000 fans calling WOO PIG SOOIE. Arkansas football, it's the state of Arkansas banding together behind one team and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are chosen, they wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks. Together we stand as tall as the tower of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walks and our blood flows Razorback Red. For 100 years, we've been Hog Wild and today we continue the tradition. We are Arkansas Razorbacks!

ArkansasFan

Somebody tell Rotnei to put it on his right arm.  Maybe no more 0-6 shooting nights.

JFHWGBKRIII

An arm girdle.  What will they come up with next? ;D
Maybe a head girdle.
No,  we already have those.

zebra

Call it what they want, it is just for fashion, i.e. headband, sleeves, wristband on the leg......

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: clifflee4mvp on February 05, 2009, 02:56:18 am
iverson's originally had something to help his elbow bursitis too i think. better than the tights that lebron and tmac and those guys were wearing before the NBA banned them.

Iverson originally had a thin plastic-like tube that slid over his elbow, but was beneath the sleeve, to help nullify that bursitis. The sleeve was there to cover the tube, originally. But most now wear the sleeve without any protective tube. I'm not even sure if Iverson still wears the tube or not.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

BrooklynRoss

I don't know. I can see if someone has a problem with keeping their arm straight on their release that an off-color sleeve might be useful for lining up shots. But, if you're 18-years-old playing division 1 basketball and still can't keep your elbow in when you shoot, you've got bigger problems than a sleeve can solve.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

clifflee4mvp

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on February 05, 2009, 09:44:52 am
Iverson originally had a thin plastic-like tube that slid over his elbow, but was beneath the sleeve, to help nullify that bursitis. The sleeve was there to cover the tube, originally. But most now wear the sleeve without any protective tube. I'm not even sure if Iverson still wears the tube or not.

yeah i think it was a rip hamilton (face mask) where originally he needed it, then he just felt normal with the sleeve. He is so beat up year to year that I wouldn't be surprised if the tube is still there. However i also wouldn't be surprised if he just wears it to be AI.
I have no idea. I don't know anything about it. I just click the first server on the list, follow some people around and stare in awe at the pets that look like He-Man's battle cat.

Arkansas Football, it's the players running through the "A", hog hats, it's more than 70,000 fans calling WOO PIG SOOIE. Arkansas football, it's the state of Arkansas banding together behind one team and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are chosen, they wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks. Together we stand as tall as the tower of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walks and our blood flows Razorback Red. For 100 years, we've been Hog Wild and today we continue the tradition. We are Arkansas Razorbacks!

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

ArkansasFan

Quote from: ProfusionalHog on February 05, 2009, 09:39:45 am
Allen Iverson Wannabees!!!

Speaking of Allen Iverson, Bobby Maze for Tennessee looks just like him.  He just needs the sleeve.

Pigmund Freud

I wish they would wear something that works.. And they could lose the white headbands , as far as I'm concerned.

Maybe we could get them on google latitude so the Hog dishing the ball in transition could locate the Hog under the basket. At least , within a few feet.

olivebranchhog

How bout we just have the team do this crazy new fashion statement I started......All you do is put this little orange and black ball through this orange circle with white lace trim. It's sure to be a big hit!
Sometimes it takes a loss to make us realize what's really important

hei5manhog

Quote from: clifflee4mvp on February 05, 2009, 02:56:18 am

any reason why they banned the tights?
"If I can't practice, I can't practice. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?

Zen_Hog

I'm pretty sure Iverson has to wear it to cover up his tattoo's. Some of them on his arm is R-rated.

rolyat_2008

Quote from: Dmac4Heisman on February 06, 2009, 01:32:51 am
I'm pretty sure Iverson has to wear it to cover up his tattoo's. Some of them on his arm is R-rated.

Your exactly right. Other players in the league also wear them because of tattoo's.

hoggin25

idk.. I'm pretty sure it was from the elbow injury and it turned into just a normal thing. I don't think that 20+ players across the league have vulgar tattoos.
WPS

smw62485

Quote from: ArkansasFan on February 05, 2009, 07:58:27 am
Somebody tell Rotnei to put it on his right arm.  Maybe no more 0-6 shooting nights.

seriously...clarke needs to leave that thing in the locker room. maybe with his natural arms he could make it rain like it's high school.

clifflee4mvp

not true. his forearm has a panther and a demon that says "fear no one"

show me vulgar. he covered up the grim reaper with the panter

http://www.alleniversonlive.com/tattoos/

hei5manhog

"If I can't practice, I can't practice. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?

razorbackfan

CampuspostmanHOG

Quote from: Hogbody on February 04, 2009, 11:24:11 pm
basically fashion.  Might help a little bit, but not likely enough for much difference.

http://basketbawful.blogspot.com/2007/07/pickup-gear-shooting-sleeve.html

I like this comment:

I always thought the league made Iverson wear his because he had a big tattoo running the length of his arm that said DEATH TO LARRY BROWN with a drawing of Larry getting run over by a bus.

StewDogg11

Allen Iverson started this trend during the 2000-2001 Finals when he hurt his arm I believe.

StewDogg11

The NBA can't make you cover up any tattoos.  I remember Cherokee Parks had a naked woman tat and a player about 10 years ago for the T'Wolves I believe had a naked woman tat that I guess his team forgot about when they sent him to a local elementary school to tell kids to stay in school.  It was SI's Sign of the Apocalypse.