Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

...and for my 4000th Post!

Started by SpareRib, November 10, 2008, 05:25:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SpareRib

My wife would kick my butt for posting necked wimmens in the DST, so here are some of my favorite Political/Financial cartoons.

Credit to  http://www.pritchettcartoons.com/index.htm   I've enjoyed his stuff for quite a while.

A picture of me as a trader in 2000 -

Not many old friends left

My opinion of Committees  (a camel was a horse put together by a committee)

What the Internet is doing to print media

The last thing I heard when leaving my broker's office last week.

Regards to all, and Go Hogs  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

I'll fish 'til the money's gone ... then I'll fish for food!<br /><br />My heritage - Dutch/Polish/German on one side, English/Welsh on the other.  I'm a mutt, not a show dog.  Proud to be an American!

Masshog

4000 posts?  You need to fish more, post less.
My feets hurt.

SpareRib

Quote from: Masshog on November 10, 2008, 05:42:48 pm
4000 posts?  You need to fish more, post less.

That's the best advice you've given.   However ...

6 generators running, 42 degrees, and rain.  Nuts to you.  It's  warm in here, and I'm posting.
I'll fish 'til the money's gone ... then I'll fish for food!<br /><br />My heritage - Dutch/Polish/German on one side, English/Welsh on the other.  I'm a mutt, not a show dog.  Proud to be an American!

Masshog

Umm... your first post now reads...4001.  I think you goofed.  ;)

Six Gens?  In November? 
My feets hurt.

SpareRib

Quote from: Masshog on November 10, 2008, 06:14:47 pm
Umm... your first post now reads...4001.  I think you goofed.  ;)

Six Gens?  In November? 

They've been running six most of the year trying to dump the spring flood waters.  There's talk that they may be able to reduce the flow by Christmas, but if they don't get the lakes back to normal before the next wet season (spring), we're in trouble again.

Masshog

I had forgotten about the rain last spring.  Not a good year for wading. 
My feets hurt.

john c

Quote from: SpareRib on November 10, 2008, 06:21:29 pm
They've been running six most of the year trying to dump the spring flood waters.  There's talk that they may be able to reduce the flow by Christmas, but if they don't get the lakes back to normal before the next wet season (spring), we're in trouble again.

It's raining upstream from you now.

SpareRib

Quote from: Masshog on November 10, 2008, 08:24:14 pm
I had forgotten about the rain last spring.  Not a good year for wading. 

Quote from: john c on November 10, 2008, 08:31:57 pm
It's raining upstream from you now.

There's been almost no wading except on rare occasions, and yes, rain is forecast for the next week.

Masshog

November 11, 2008, 04:54:44 am #8 Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 04:58:17 am by Masshog
This has been my worst fishing year in the last thirty.  They kicked my ass.  Of course, for some reason I haven't been nearly as focused on fish as I usually am.   Hell, the fishing was so bad that I lost a practically new Orvis rod and reel into a rip off of the Vineyard.  Watching several hundred dollars being sucked under the rip was not at all pleasant. 

Like I said, this year the fishies won the battle.   
My feets hurt.

SpareRib

November 11, 2008, 08:03:59 am #9 Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 08:07:08 am by SpareRib
Quote from: Masshog on November 11, 2008, 04:54:44 am
This has been my worst fishing year in the last thirty.  They kicked my ass.  Of course, for some reason I haven't been nearly as focused on fish as I usually am.   Hell, the fishing was so bad that I lost a practically new Orvis rod and reel into a rip off of the Vineyard.  Watching several hundred dollars being sucked under the rip was not at all pleasant. 

Like I said, this year the fishies won the battle.   

Reminds me why it's called "fishing" and not "catching."  ;)

I'll turn fish loose, but go in over my waders for a dropped rod and reel.  Go figure.

By the way, my fish catching in 2008 suffered a greater percentage drop than my IRA.  I'm not sure what to make of that.

HOGSCALD

This may be the new correlation some of you guys have been looking for.  How does various fishing - trout, crappie, beach casting, etc. - relate to the market as an indicator.  I think you could write a book and start a new fund and probably make a mint.  Wow, The Cotter Fund, based on new indication technology.  Size, strike force, type of reel, line size, ....

INVESTMENT ALERT:  This morning white bass were striking red worms on 10 Lb line with Garcia Model xxx reels.  Our model indicates a strong Wal-Mart buy. Had the strikes been on grubs and 15 Lb line we would recommend selling Wal-Mart.  We find the type of rod to be inconsequential to our recommendation.

You guys are going to make a fortune!!!!!
You give 100 percent in the first half of the game, and if that isn't enough, in the second half you give what's left.
--  Yogi Berra

SpareRib

November 11, 2008, 09:36:31 am #11 Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 09:38:11 am by SpareRib
Since this thread is basically trash anyway, let me add to the pile.

Questions for the gurus -

Hogville reports that I have spent (invested) 71 days, 9 hours and 34 minutes of my time in this site over a period of about two and a half years.  How do I book this?  Can I capitalize it or do I take it as an expense?  If I am advised to capitalize it, is it subject to depreciation (since I'll never get any of it back.)  Is time spent rationalizing opinions thru extrapolation on MMQB more valuable than bragging in Hunting and Fishing Forum?

How do I justify this time to the family stockholders?

1.  Politics - My civic responsibility to enlighten those of opposing opinion.  (This year an overwhelming majority didn't tune in to my show.)  There is much yet to be done.

2.  Finance - Where else can a guy go for higher quality advice from guys who are qualified to give it but don't because they can't?

3.  The Tavern - I know time spent there is legal, but is it sinful?  I'm so conflicted about this.  Telling my VP of Finance that I went there to save depraved souls would get me laughed away from the dinner table.

4.  Hunting and Fishing - We are looking at hard times.  I may have to kill so that we can eat.  These guys know how it's done (and if I can get their addresses, I can raid their freezers.)

5.  MMQB and Jump Ball -  Pure entertainment and I deserve it!  Besides, it feeds my propensity for wishful thinking.  This is the one category I don't feel the need to justify.

Oh, my ... so many questions.

SpareRib

Quote from: HOGSCALD on November 11, 2008, 08:33:35 am
This may be the new correlation some of you guys have been looking for.  How does various fishing - trout, crappie, beach casting, etc. - relate to the market as an indicator.  I think you could write a book and start a new fund and probably make a mint.  Wow, The Cotter Fund, based on new indication technology.  Size, strike force, type of reel, line size, ....

INVESTMENT ALERT:  This morning white bass were striking red worms on 10 Lb line with Garcia Model xxx reels.  Our model indicates a strong Wal-Mart buy. Had the strikes been on grubs and 15 Lb line we would recommend selling Wal-Mart.  We find the type of rod to be inconsequential to our recommendation.

You guys are going to make a fortune!!!!!

The theory will never be worth ten cents.  So what we do is prepare an infomercial on it with slick statistics, a great sales pitch and teary eyed advocates.  Couple this with a booklet we can reproduce on our copier telling how anyone can do it in less that 30 days, sell it for $29.95 with a smoked mullet giveaway, and  ...

... YES, we're gonna make a fortune.

SultanofSwine

SpareRib

Thanks, guys.  I've had waaaay too much time on my hands lately.  Bumping around in that big dark room between my ears ain't always healthy.