Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

HDN's RECORD vs TOP 25 and SEC Teams

Started by John Futrall, October 05, 2005, 08:50:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

CorningHog

I think if Houston Nutt has the more dominant linemen, a great kicker, and very good punter, and some healthy running backs, his philosophy usually works.  But how many times has his linemen been superior to other good SEC teams?  How many years has it been since we have had a dominant defensive line?

Nutt uses the old "Football 101" tactic that was held dearly by the old NFL types in the 60's and the early to mid 80's and prior in college football.  With the advent of the spread offense and 4 and 5 receiver sets, it has gotten to where you need an offense that can put some points on the board OR win with defense.  It doesn't really matter if you can do it with RB's or WR's, but either way, you had better put points on the board.

Had we been able to score 35 pts on USC, it would have been a different ballgame.  But, punting is not a bad thing, so we did and the didn't and you saw the score.

Had we been able to run to the corners against Vandy with our speed backs, you may have seen a score in the high 30's for Arkansas and a WIN.

That is what you have to do, put defenses on their heels and put points on the scoreboard.
"Seek ye first the Kingdom of Heaven"

HogDodging

Quote from: JDW on October 05, 2005, 02:39:21 pm
"Good Ole Boy" system? I don't know about that? Why do you think we went 5-6 last year?

Because Houston is a lousy game day coach who can't recruit. 
There's no excuse, none, why a 7th year coach should have gone 5-6 with the following year starting out looking even more bleak.  WE LOST TO VANDERBILT AT HOME!
Yet, there are those who insist on giving him one more year.  Enough already.  He couldn't win with the 2003 group.  That's proof right there about how bad a coach he is.

jacob

Quote from: mikeyg31 on October 05, 2005, 08:50:42 am
SEC and Top 25 teams records (to present) Under Nutt

Alabama 4-4
LSU 3-4
Auburn 4-3
Ole Miss 4-3
MSU 6-1

Georgia 0-4
Florida 0-2
South Carolina 5-2
Tenn  1-4
Kentucky 2-2
Vandy 0-1

Michigan 0-1
Texas 2-1
Oklahoma 0-1
Minn 0-1

Mizzou 1-0

vs SEC West (21-15)
vs SEC East (8-15)

Check my math, but I think that's right.

here is HDNs record vs SEC Teams.

HDN vs non SEC Top 25 teams

JDW

Quote from: Deep Shoat on October 05, 2005, 03:06:41 pm
"Good Ole Boy" system? I don't know about that? Why do you think we went 5-6 last year?

There's no excuse, none, why a 7th year coach should have gone 5-6 with the following year starting out looking even more bleak. WE LOST TO VANDERBILT AT HOME!
Yet, there are those who insist on giving him one more year. Enough already. He couldn't win with the 2003 group. That's proof right there about how bad a coach he is.

HDN can't get on the field and make the plays. Your arguement is lame and holds no water. Your giving your opinion rather than any facts of eveidence. Oh no I take that back you pointed out that we lost to Vandy at home. I stand corrected, you're a  mental giant.

SultanofSwine

There have been many telling comments from opposing players and coaches this year that show Deep Shoat's coments to indeed be fact. Vandy coaches commented that we made no adjustments after the 1st Qtr.(obviously they don't know that is only allowed starting the 4th Qtr. when we are way down), Everyone from Carroll to the waterboy fricken laughed thier asses off at us in LA, Bama players said watch the first 5 plays and that is all we would run(they were right). Nutt is runnig a Kangaroo Court coaching staff and the results reflect it. What evidence is ther that this will change other than the fact that we are going to play a couple of teams as bad as we are? Beating them is no sign of improvement even if it does happen. The program is headed south and there are several of us that have been pointing to it for three years now atleast and guess what, nothing is changing other than we have a guy in the pressbow slinging his headset around because Nutt is to arrogant to listen to sound judgement.

If you performed at 50% at your job would it take 8 years to get fired?

corndo

Quote from: HogsRule on October 05, 2005, 03:02:36 pm
Quote from: Marty Houston's Boy on October 05, 2005, 02:39:19 pm
Its difficult to not write a team off that lost at HOME to Vanderbilt. Vandy is still not as good as SCarolina, Miss State....

You've got to be kidding me. Vandy is definitely better than those programs this year. You must not be paying attention this year and just see the School names.

Middle Tenn. St. 17, Vandy 15 - Vandy just lost to one of the worst teams in football and you are accusing someone else of not paying attention???

HogDodging

Quote from: JDW on October 05, 2005, 03:27:34 pm

There's no excuse, none, why a 7th year coach should have gone 5-6 with the following year starting out looking even more bleak. WE LOST TO VANDERBILT AT HOME!
Yet, there are those who insist on giving him one more year. Enough already. He couldn't win with the 2003 group. That's proof right there about how bad a coach he is.

HDN can't get on the field and make the plays. Your arguement is lame and holds no water. Your giving your opinion rather than any facts of eveidence. Oh no I take that back you pointed out that we lost to Vandy at home. I stand corrected, you're a mental giant.

Who's the "mental giant"? 
You're the one resorting to personal attacks.

You want to give Nutt credit for the wins, yet you don't want to blame him for the losses.  Sorry, but you can't have it both ways.
OK, here are some facts.  The 2003 team was loaded with talent bound for the NFL.  It was a senior laden team.  We had a very favorable schedule.  Care to argue any of those?
Yet, we couldn't score more than 3 points against Auburn in Fayetteville.  Then, the next week Florida made us look silly, again in Fayetteville.
Do you remember the LSU game that year?  We didn't belong on the same field as LSU.
Where is my opinion in saying we went 5-6 last year?  That seems like a fact to me. 
Nutt was a 7th year coach last year, correct?
And, losing at home to Vanderbilt is another fact.
The only opinion I offered was that no 7th year coach should go 5-6, with the next season looking even worse.
So, sue me.

HogsRule

Quote from: corndo on October 05, 2005, 03:39:31 pm
Its difficult to not write a team off that lost at HOME to Vanderbilt. Vandy is still not as good as SCarolina, Miss State....

You've got to be kidding me. Vandy is definitely better than those programs this year. You must not be paying attention this year and just see the School names.

Middle Tenn. St. 17, Vandy 15 - Vandy just lost to one of the worst teams in football and you are accusing someone else of not paying attention???

So what. Look at how bad the other teams are 0 fer in SEC. Vandy is 2-0. They also look better on the field.
**Judgement on coaches withheld pending further information**

No Hate Zone

JDW

I'll try to address this as parts.

If you performed at 50% at your job would it take 8 years to get fired?

No. I can perform my job at 50% and my boss not even know it. What time is right now? Where do you think I am?

There have been many telling comments from opposing players and coaches this year that show Deep Shoat's coments to indeed be fact. Vandy coaches commented that we made no adjustments after the 1st Qtr.(obviously they don't know that is only allowed starting the 4th Qtr. when we are way down)

Not calling a game change is not what lost us the ball game. HDN doen't control the D. Why were they allowed to score on the last drive w/seconds left in the game. RJ ran out of bounds instead of eating up the clock. HDN did have poor clock management. But his play calling alone did not loose us that ball game.

Everyone from Carroll to the waterboy fricken laughed thier asses off at us in LA

Rightfully so.

Bama players said watch the first 5 plays and that is all we would run(they were right).

And how many yards rushing did we have against them? Did our D step up from that debacle at USC?

Nutt is runnig a Kangaroo Court coaching staff and the results reflect it. What evidence is ther that this will change other than the fact that we are going to play a couple of teams as bad as we are? Beating them is no sign of improvement even if it does happen.

I again will disagree. While HDN's play calling may not be up to par with what you or I think that does not mean we can not and will not win.

The program is headed south and there are several of us that have been pointing to it for three years now atleast and guess what

If the program has been headed south for 3 years now why did we go 9/5, 9/4 and the bad of the 3, 5/6? I thought we were to win it all in '03?

nothing is changing other than we have a guy in the pressbow slinging his headset around because Nutt is to arrogant to listen to sound judgement.

I can not argue with this. The only comment I can give is that HDN is scared to throw the ball.

idochog

Nice summary of a thread all over the place.  Bottom line is HDN is not cut out for SEC level football.

2003 was proof HDN will never be able to do it, He will cycle the same set of lame excuses until he has a team like he had in 2003 and then he will choke again.  Havent you History repeats itself.
I love Jesus!

JDW

Quote from: Deep Shoat on October 05, 2005, 03:43:03 pm

HDN can't get on the field and make the plays. Your arguement is lame and holds no water. Your giving your opinion rather than any facts of eveidence. Oh no I take that back you pointed out that we lost to Vandy at home. I stand corrected, you're a mental giant.

Who's the "mental giant"?
You're the one resorting to personal attacks.

You want to give Nutt credit for the wins, yet you don't want to blame him for the losses. Sorry, but you can't have it both ways.
OK, here are some facts. The 2003 team was loaded with talent bound for the NFL. It was a senior laden team. We had a very favorable schedule. Care to argue any of those?
Yet, we couldn't score more than 3 points against Auburn in Fayetteville. Then, the next week Florida made us look silly, again in Fayetteville.
Do you remember the LSU game that year? We didn't belong on the same field as LSU.
Where is my opinion in saying we went 5-6 last year? That seems like a fact to me.
Nutt was a 7th year coach last year, correct?
And, losing at home to Vanderbilt is another fact.
The only opinion I offered was that no 7th year coach should go 5-6, with the next season looking even worse.
So, sue me.

Deep Shoat,

I was playing and did not mean to offend. I appologize for my rude comments. I can be onrey and very stubburn at times.

And yes I would like to discuss the '03 season. And no I can point the finger at HDN when it needs to be pointed at him. I didn't think we should or would win it all in '03, did I ever say we should have? I dont think MJ should have been the QB. Yes he is a gifted player but not a drop back passer. Last year that is what HDN tried to make him. For the NFL maybe??

SultanofSwine

A 9 win season sounds good to most folks but add 4 losses  to that and it is barely better than .500. That is not my definition of a good team. A good team is ranked at the end of the year.

I will have to respectfully disagree that not making game plan changes as the game progresses is EXACTLY what has cost us several games, not just this year. And it doesn't mean diddly-squat how yards rushing we had against Bama, they won the damn game.

If you wish to be a blind follower, by all means knock your self out but you can forget convincing us that things are anywhere close to good with the program right now because the rest of us are not blind.

JDW

Quote from: SultanofSwine on October 05, 2005, 04:20:30 pm
A 9 win season sounds good to most folks but add 4 losses to that and it is barely better than .500. That is not my definition of a good team. A good team is ranked at the end of the year.

I will have to respectfully disagree that not making game plan changes as the game progresses is EXACTLY what has cost us several games, not just this year. And it doesn't mean diddly-squat how yards rushing we had against Bama, they won the damn game.

If you wish to be a blind follower, by all means knock your self out but you can forget convincing us that things are anywhere close to good with the program right now because the rest of us are not blind.

I don't think I am following blindly. Patiently, watchfully, but not blindly. I would like to think that others would look at the positives more than the negatives. About the 'bama game I was simply pointing out our improvement from when we played USC. Are we going to win 9 games this year? Absolutely not, there's not 9 games left for one, and we are in my opinion building a young team.

SultanofSwine

Sevral people spotted various negatives a long time ago and we have sort of patiently watched for any of those to be addressed and to date they haven't. Six months or another year or two is not going to change that after 7 full years of no change. In my view that is blindly following. Hoping upon hope that some miraculous event will occur and cause a turn around is not going to benefit anyone and I don't need a used car.

three

I'm confused.  What's the argument here?  Is it Houtson Nutt is average vs. Houston Nutt is good?  If so, the averages have it.  Thumbing through a few of the media guides we have here in the office, I came up with some numbers.  Granted, this isn't everyone, but it pretty much sums it up.

1998-2004

Mississippi State:   VS East...........11-10
                         VS West..........11-25
                         Bowls...............2-1 (one SEC champ. appearance, 2 bowl games vs. Top 25 opp.)

South Carolina:    VS East............10-24
                        VS West...........6-12
                        Bowls...............2-0 (only 2 bowls in 7 yrs, plus the forfeit last year equals three, not good, but both bowls were JAN 1 games.)

LSU:                  VS East..........10-11  (10-5 since 200, that's since Saban)
                        VS West.........21-14
                        Bowls.............3-2  (All 5 vs. Top 15/4 straight on/after Jan. 1/two SEC champ. appearances)

Tenn.:              VS East...........27-7
                       VS West..........17-4
                       Bowls..............3-4  (All on or after Dec. 31/1-2 in SEC Champ. Games)

Ole Miss:          VS East............14-7
                      VS West..........13-23
                      Bowls..............4-1 (3 on or after Dec. 31)

Georgai:           VS East...........24-11
                      VS West..........16-6
                      Bowls.............6-1 (4 New Year's Day Games/One SEC Champ. thrashing of Arkansas)

Arkansas:         VS East..........8-15
                      VS West........21-15

Here's what should jump out at you, we're not anywhere close to Tenn., GA., etc.  We are even with LSU and though I can't find Bama's stats, I'd venture we're pretty close to them.  The difference is this, we have not improved, we've stayed pretty much even throughout Nutt's tenure.  Now, I think everyone will agree, Arkansas is not going to be a Nat'l contender every year.  But once every four should be expected.  In 2003, we had the chance to do what Auburn did last year and LSU the year before.  We climbed to #7 in the country, and then faltered. With so many JR/SR in key positions on both side of the ball, and, if you include Mark Pierce as having NFL talent (even though the guy was a nut case, he was talented) you had 8 guys with NFL potential, and yet, the best you can do is the Toilet Bowl in Shreveport?  That is where the mediocrity comes in.  out of 7 bowl games, three are New Year's Day games, with one being a win.  You've then made a habit of losing bad bowl games to bad teams.  Arkansas has become the benchmark for medicority.  You win games you shouldn't (at Texas, LSU (miracle on Markham) and lose games you shouldn't (at South Carolina '04, Auburn '03, Florida 03, at Ole Miss 03, Kentucky '02).  The question is, is that good enough, or does the University of Arkansas and its fans deserve/need more?
Worrying is like a rocking chair...it gives you something to do, but you don't get anywhere.

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: JDW on October 05, 2005, 11:42:33 am

I ain't arguing that were not #1 right now, but we are young. Can any argue that?

Can we PLEASE stop using that excuse EVERY year?  Were we young last year??? If we are young every year, then Nutt has not done a proper job of recruiting....Fire him NOW!
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

hogken

unfortunately for yall my fair weathered friends thats not happening! according to Frank
one fist is iron the other is steel,if the right one dont get you,the left one will!

BuschHawg

Man, Ken you've got to be the ultimate Jockstrap.

BuschHawg

hogken

nope, its easy to bash and jump on the coach and join the haters. thats the easy thing to do. I just am thankful and grateful to be a Razorback fan form birth and I will be there when Nutt turns it around again!
one fist is iron the other is steel,if the right one dont get you,the left one will!

JDW

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on October 05, 2005, 08:11:42 pm
Quote from: JDW on October 05, 2005, 11:42:33 am

I ain't arguing that were not #1 right now, but we are young. Can any argue that?

Can we PLEASE stop using that excuse EVERY year? Were we young last year??? If we are young every year, then Nutt has not done a proper job of recruiting....Fire him NOW!

Who was the returning starter last year? Who are the returning and starting lineup this year? How many of our offense and defense are last years players? I'm not saying all are young but as a whole I feel like they are.

BuschHawg

You don't understand Ken....A Nut Supporter is a Jockstrap.

No matter how misguided your beliefs may be, you're certainly entitled to them. Welcome to the Razorback Athletic Entitlement Program. Just like the government. Get hired for life, no matter how productive a person is.

BuschHawg

JDW

Quote from: RedRazor on October 05, 2005, 08:12:57 pm

JDW, I agree with you that Houston cannot make the plays BUT, he is in charge of recruiting the players he has and he has to be able to know which of those players WILL make the plays. Once again, no way out for HDN. As for the Defense...he is the one that hand picked Herring and hired him...so once agian, it is HIS job that should be on the line if he chose the wrong person. You can't pick a coach and look like you did against USC...I dont' care if you just walked up to the team off the streets...I mean JDW...8 plays 28 points??!! All of this is HDN's responsibility and he needs to be held accountable.

So are all of HDN's players bad? If he is in charge of recruiting who are the good and who are the bad? I was in the military so I understand the chain of command concept. The platoon leader is in charge of the platoon, section sgts for the sections, squadleaders for squads, so and so forth. I understand what you are saying. Hold him accountable? I will when I feel the time is right, and I don't feel like that needs to happen right now. What if we did fire him? What then? Let him play out his recruits that he has brought in, Jones, McFadden, Hillis, Monk, Mustain(next yr) Williams?(next yr)

I think we made a turn around after the USC game when we play 'bama close. Yes RJ made some mistakes. How many games has he played now? 4 complete?

A couple of questions.

1. Did our D line improve from USC to AL?
2. Did our DB's improve from USC to AL?
3. Did our QB improve from USC to AL?
4. Did our TB's improve from USC to AL?
5. Should we have lost to Vandy?
6. What qtr did we lose the Vandy game?
7. How many dropped passes have we had this year?

hogken

Busch..its easy again to come up with clever, negative, one liners and comments, but just the same I believe in the Razorbacks and to focus my positive outlook on this situation is also how I remain.......aw what the hell, fire ! em! all!
NOT!

JDW

How can you not? Alabama has a good WR core. DJ Hall, Prothro, Davis, Darby out of the back field and a QB that is seasoned. Our defense lost their minds when playing USC and got their heads on straight when playing 'bama. Is that not improvement?

Anti-OtisII

Quote from: JDW on October 05, 2005, 02:13:12 pm

Scott,

I'll go on record and make a bet with you stating that we will be closer to 35-29 rather than 29-35. Wanna bet? ;D

:razorback:
John

Now we are talking.  Here is a true HDN believer that is willing to put his money where his mouth is.  JDW is willing to bet that over the next 6 SEC games that we will go 4-2 or better.  I'm willing to bet that we will go 2-4 or worse.  If we (I'm a true HOG fan and will always say we even if we have a dumass HC) go 3-3 this bet will be a push because our overall SEC record will be 32-32 (still mediocre in my book) and will be equally close to either 29-35 or 35-29. 

The attached photo shows the $100 bill that I just pulled out of my "emergency" storage compartment in my wallet (reference the folds) that I try to keep for a rainy day.  Well, in terms of the Razorback football program we are officially suffering in the throes of another "rainy day", so I'm willing to risk this money for the opportunity to turn around the fortunes of our team so that they can finish 6-5 this year, play in another crappy bowl game, and save the golden child's job as HC for at least one more year.  Besides, I'm equally excited about the opportunity to double my "rainy day" fund in less than 2 months time. 

What do you say JDW? 

[attachment deleted by admin]

Ben Steiger

Buschhawg, that is a complete lie, and incorrect statement.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

bknight33

HogsRule, Vandy will lose to SCarolina...book it.

JDW

Quote from: Anti-OtisII on October 06, 2005, 09:48:01 am
Quote from: JDW on October 05, 2005, 02:13:12 pm

Scott,

I'll go on record and make a bet with you stating that we will be closer to 35-29 rather than 29-35. Wanna bet? ;D

:razorback:
John

Now we are talking.  Here is a true HDN believer that is willing to put his money where his mouth is.  JDW is willing to bet that over the next 6 SEC games that we will go 4-2 or better.  I'm willing to bet that we will go 2-4 or worse.  If we (I'm a true HOG fan and will always say we even if we have a dumass HC) go 3-3 this bet will be a push because our overall SEC record will be 32-32 (still mediocre in my book) and will be equally close to either 29-35 or 35-29. 

The attached photo shows the $100 bill that I just pulled out of my "emergency" storage compartment in my wallet (reference the folds) that I try to keep for a rainy day.  Well, in terms of the Razorback football program we are officially suffering in the throes of another "rainy day", so I'm willing to risk this money for the opportunity to turn around the fortunes of our team so that they can finish 6-5 this year, play in another crappy bowl game, and save the golden child's job as HC for at least one more year.  Besides, I'm equally excited about the opportunity to double my "rainy day" fund in less than 2 months time. 

What do you say JDW? 

I'll take the bet but not for $100. $20 is more along my budget. If you want to bet that's about all I can go.

hogsanity

SO since every1 seems to enjoy comparing coachign records, and pineing for the "good ole days" ( you know when we went to our conference champs bowl game once every blue moon ) what was Holtz and Hatfields record agaianst the so called elites of the swc?

I know Holtz beat Tx twice  and HAtfiled took em down a couple times when TX really was down.  I'll bet Holtz and HAtfield racked up huge numbers against bad teams too.   
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

JDW

Quote from: hogsanity on October 06, 2005, 10:07:24 am
SO since every1 seems to enjoy comparing coachign records, and pineing for the "good ole days" ( you know when we went to our conference champs bowl game once every blue moon ) what was Holtz and Hatfields record agaianst the so called elites of the swc?

I know Holtz beat Tx twice and HAtfiled took em down a couple times when TX really was down. I'll bet Holtz and HAtfield racked up huge numbers against bad teams too.

Actually Holtz's #'s are not that good against TX. HDN has the best record of the 3. And Holtz did not do that well against a few of the "weaker" SWC teams. I think they were TCU, Houston, & TX. We saw what Holtz did for SC. NOT SQUAT! Hatfield I regret loosing.

Anti-OtisII

Fair enough.  Anything to help the team.  I'll PM you with my contact info.  Hopefully we can go 4-2 the rest of the way out in the SEC to finish up 4-4 again in the SEC and maintain our "mediocre" status as a SEC football program under HDN.  wps.

JDW

Against Texas

Holtz
2/5

HDN
2/1

Hatfield
2/4

JDW

Quote from: Anti-OtisII on October 06, 2005, 10:13:05 am
Fair enough. Anything to help the team. I'll PM you with my contact info. Hopefully we can go 4-2 the rest of the way out in the SEC to finish up 4-4 again in the SEC and maintain our "mediocre" status as a SEC football program under HDN. wps.

Deal. And I'll give you my info so you can send me my $20 you'll owe me.

:D

Anti-OtisII

Quote from: JDW on October 06, 2005, 10:10:23 am

I know Holtz beat Tx twice and HAtfiled took em down a couple times when TX really was down. I'll bet Holtz and HAtfield racked up huge numbers against bad teams too.

Actually Holtz's #'s are not that good against TX. HDN has the best record of the 3. And Holtz did not do that well against a few of the "weaker" SWC teams. I think they were TCU, Houston, & TX. We saw what Holtz did for SC. NOT SQUAT! Hatfield I regret loosing.

How many years did both Holtz and Hatfield last as the Head Coach of the Razorbacks?  They both caught hell for not winning the conference or the "big game" enough and both lasted less than HDN.

Anti-OtisII

Quote from: JDW on October 06, 2005, 10:19:57 am
Quote from: Anti-OtisII on October 06, 2005, 10:13:05 am
Fair enough. Anything to help the team. I'll PM you with my contact info. Hopefully we can go 4-2 the rest of the way out in the SEC to finish up 4-4 again in the SEC and maintain our "mediocre" status as a SEC football program under HDN. wps.

Deal. And I'll give you my info so you can send me my $20 you'll owe me.

:D

Easy money.  That $20 bill will never have to leave my wallet.  No way we do better than 3-3.  4-2 with our remaining SEC schedule is a pipe dream.

JDW

I would rather dream big.

;D   :P 

Aim small, miss small.

Anti-OtisII

Quote from: JDW on October 06, 2005, 10:24:57 am
Aim small, miss small.

You're absolutely right.  That is what we are doing with HDN as our Head Coach.

JDW

Quote from: Anti-OtisII on October 06, 2005, 10:28:20 am
Aim small, miss small.

You're absolutely right. That is what we are doing with HDN as our Head Coach.

Touché. Ok then how about, You can't beat the mule if ya aint on the wagon.

hogsanity

Quote from: Anti-OtisII on October 06, 2005, 10:20:06 am

How many years did both Holtz and Hatfield last as the Head Coach of the Razorbacks? They both caught hell for not winning the conference or the "big game" enough and both lasted less than HDN.

THats fine Otis, I am not question who should or should not have been fired.  What made me think of this was some guy on Press row this morning saying he longed for the days when Lou was in the Cotton Bowl.  Guess what, Lou never made the Cotton Bowl.  Hatfield made it twice.  And I think everyone knows Hatfield left fro reasons other than his record. 

As with fine wine, our fb prgram seems to get better with age, or atleast the perception of the good ole days gets better.  In another 10 years people will be swearing we won 5 NC's in the 60's. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Anti-OtisII

Quote from: JDW on October 06, 2005, 10:31:45 am
Quote from: Anti-OtisII on October 06, 2005, 10:28:20 am
Aim small, miss small.

You're absolutely right. That is what we are doing with HDN as our Head Coach.

Touché. Ok then how about, You can't beat the mule if ya aint on the wagon.

My season tickets are on row 7 of Section 505 so the wagon has been a pretty bumpy ride over the last 3 years as I've watched our football program fall almost completely apart playing its "home" games in Fayetteville.  Our home record in Fayetteville SEC games over the last few years is a total embarassment and I'm getting really tired of the 3 hour drive home on Saturday night (usually Sunday morning before I'm home) after yet another hapless loss.

I will be back for more punishment against Auburn, but my Arkansas Razorback shirt will be Black instead of Cardinal Red.  Hopefully everyone that is getting tired of this same old bull will do the same as a symbolic gesture to JFB that as season ticket holders we expect to field a prepared team and quit having to listen to excuse after excuse.

I guess I'm one of the only 5%.

Anti-OtisII

Quote from: hogsanity on October 06, 2005, 10:44:19 am

How many years did both Holtz and Hatfield last as the Head Coach of the Razorbacks? They both caught hell for not winning the conference or the "big game" enough and both lasted less than HDN.

THats fine Otis, I am not question who should or should not have been fired. What made me think of this was some guy on Press row this morning saying he longed for the days when Lou was in the Cotton Bowl. Guess what, Lou never made the Cotton Bowl. Hatfield made it twice. And I think everyone knows Hatfield left fro reasons other than his record.

As with fine wine, our fb prgram seems to get better with age, or atleast the perception of the good ole days gets better. In another 10 years people will be swearing we won 5 NC's in the 60's.

Holtz's teams finished in the Final AP/UPI Top 10 4 times and played in the Orange, Fiesta, and Sugar Bowls during his 7 year tenure.

hogsanity

Quote from: Anti-OtisII on October 06, 2005, 10:51:29 am
Quote from: hogsanity on October 06, 2005, 10:44:19 am

THats fine Otis, I am not question who should or should not have been fired. What made me think of this was some guy on Press row this morning saying he longed for the days when Lou was in the Cotton Bowl. Guess what, Lou never made the Cotton Bowl. Hatfield made it twice. And I think everyone knows Hatfield left fro reasons other than his record.

As with fine wine, our fb prgram seems to get better with age, or atleast the perception of the good ole days gets better. In another 10 years people will be swearing we won 5 NC's in the 60's.

Holtz's teams finished in the Final AP/UPI Top 10 4 times and played in the Orange, Fiesta, and Sugar Bowls during his 7 year tenure.

I am well aware of that.  Why though was he in those bowls, instead of the cotton?  Oh yea, couldnt win the SWC. 

My main point was though, many people just spout off as fact things like that guy this morning " I remeber Holtz in the Cotton Bowl"  when it did not happen.  Just like the guy last week " HDn lost to SMu's death penalty team"  That did not happen either.

Anti-OtisII

Quote from: hogsanity on October 06, 2005, 10:56:49 am
I am well aware of that. Why though was he in those bowls, instead of the cotton? Oh yea, couldnt win the SWC.

My main point was though, many people just spout off as fact things like that guy this morning " I remeber Holtz in the Cotton Bowl" when it did not happen. Just like the guy last week " HDn lost to SMu's death penalty team" That did not happen either.

I understand your point and it is well taken.  But you have to remember that it might be pretty easy for someone to get a little confused when you consider that the 79 team did win the SWC (tied with Houston because of 3 pt loss), lost to NC Alabama in the Sugar Bowl, and still finished in the Top 10.  That followed the great 77 team and was a predecessor to 82 team that was probably as talented as any to play at Arkansas but was kicked in the stomach by Baylor on the road and never really recovered.