Is today when we find out

Started by HogNTX, January 02, 2018, 01:04:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogNTX

Chavis or Venables or someone else????

What role does Lunney officially have?

What about Bobby Allen???

Is Steve Caldwell coming home?

How about John Scott Jr. ... is he staying?

What roles will all the SMU dudes fill?

Will we actually have a special teams coach or the same analyst we've had all along?

Patience is wearing off now that everyone should be available!

colbs

grayhawg

ricepig

Doesn't appear to be, check back tomorrow......

SooieGeneris

The dead period ends a week from Friday. I would guess we'll have a staff in place by Friday, no later than early next week. We will lose some defensive recruits if they don't know who the DC and their position coach are pretty soon.

Other schools may have guys like Mincey swayed if we wait any longer than that, and there is no reason to wait any longer than that. All but two college teams' seasons are over and I don't think anyone from either staff is on our radar.

We'd like to know, but as long as it's a few days before the 12th, it doesn't matter that much.
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on January 02, 2018, 01:08:22 pm
Doesn't appear to be, check back tomorrow......

Doesn't tomorrow never come?
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Oklahawg

We are playing a $1M game of poker with A&M.  Once someone flinches everything with the coaches should fall into place quickly.  Damage to recruiting is that it has to be incognito and other staffs can try to wedge against it. And, it is a dead period so that is an advantage.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

SDZ_Hog

GoHogs1091

It will be interesting to see if Mike Stoops becomes a possibility.

He needs a fresh start at another school, and we are looking for a DC who has a lot of experience.

There might have been a reason why Bob Stoops toured our facilities when Bob was in NWA the day he spoke at the NWA TD Club (Bob may have been scouting and finding out information for his Brother in case Mike won't be back at OU).

The real Hogules

After Jimbo Fisher/A&M were turned down by LSU's DC, perhaps Ole Jimbo will choose to keep Chavis. I believe that it was reported that Chavis has another year remaining on his A&M contract, so if Fisher chose to honor that contract, either Chavis, or the UofA would be responsible for the buyout amount, if we wanted Chavis that bad, correct?
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Smashmouth2004

Quote from: The real Hogules on January 02, 2018, 02:30:54 pm
After Jimbo Fisher/A&M were turned down by LSU's DC, perhaps Ole Jimbo will choose to keep Chavis. I believe that it was reported that Chavis has another year remaining on his A&M contract, so if Fisher chose to honor that contract, either Chavis, or the UofA would be responsible for the buyout amount, if we wanted Chavis that bad, correct?
When A&M announces a DC then we'll know ours. I still don't know if Chavis has a no compete clause in his contract so if a Jimbo chooses to keep him he can't come to Ark.

shshark00

Quote from: SooieGeneris on January 02, 2018, 01:17:27 pm
The dead period ends a week from Friday. I would guess we'll have a staff in place by Friday, no later than early next week. We will lose some defensive recruits if they don't know who the DC and their position coach are pretty soon.

Other schools may have guys like Mincey swayed if we wait any longer than that, and there is no reason to wait any longer than that. All but two college teams' seasons are over and I don't think anyone from either staff is on our radar.

We'd like to know, but as long as it's a few days before the 12th, it doesn't matter that much.
I've seen the "dead period" thing mentioned a few times as a reason not to rush the hire and to calm down the fan base. All the dead period does is prevent face to face contact. Coaches can still call and text players and parents. So each day we go by without a staff in place, dead period or not, we are falling further and further behind not only this year's recruiting class, but establishing relationships with future players as well.

Flrazrback

As I understand it, as of January 1 we have ONLY a Head Football Coach with NO assistants. The contracts they signed were through December 31, 2017 and were signed to allow recruiting of the 2018 class.  Correct me if that's not the case.

lakecityhog

I work with Caldwell's nephew and he told me today that Caldwell is for sure coming back. Probably be here this week, just waiting on some things to get ironed out contractually.

shshark00

Quote from: Flrazrback on January 02, 2018, 03:33:00 pm
As I understand it, as of January 1 we have ONLY a Head Football Coach with NO assistants. The contracts they signed were through December 31, 2017 and were signed to allow recruiting of the 2018 class.  Correct me if that's not the case.

Fairly certain that is accurate. The only possible exception is Lunney. Since he wasn't terminated with the others, I assume he is still working under his prior/existing contract. But the others that came from SMU with him are no longer under a contract.

Grizzlyfan

There is no way Jimbo Fisher keeps a DC that just gave up 55 points to Wake Forest.

There's also no way we should hire a DC that just gave up 55 points to Wake Forest.  But that's another topic.

LZH

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 02, 2018, 04:04:51 pm
There is no way Jimbo Fisher keeps a DC that just gave up 55 points to Wake Forest.

There's also no way we should hire a DC that just gave up 55 points to Wake Forest.  But that's another topic.

Naw, I'd pretty well say that's the same topic. 55 points is 55 points.

opineonswine

There is no way Jimbo Fisher keeps a DC that just gave up 55 points to Wake.

Course that's not how the world works. Jimbo having a hard time apparently.
Aggie mod on who all has turned down their dc job

"Aranda, Elko, Robinson that I'm aware of."

colbs

Quote from: LZH on January 02, 2018, 04:07:39 pm
Naw, I'd pretty well say that's the same topic. 55 points is 55 points.
It's not great but hard to put much stock in a game where Chavis knows he's gone.  I'm not sure what the players were 100% there with a coaching change.  Not to mention that their best defensive player was out. 

King Kong

Defense only gave up 48 points if it makes you feel better

(notOM)Rebel123

Would you take the defensive coordinator from the team with the 9th ranked defense (total defense) and the 15th ranked scoring defense in the country?

FYI....His defense gave up 55 to Iowa.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

opineonswine

Quote from: colbs on January 02, 2018, 04:15:14 pm
It's not great but hard to put much stock in a game where Chavis knows he's gone.  I'm not sure what the players were 100% there with a coaching change.  Not to mention that their best defensive player was out.

Looking at that one game is just asinine.

LZH

Quote from: colbs on January 02, 2018, 04:15:14 pm

May be. But it sure made me queasy watching some of that....WF ran the same play over and over and trotted right down the field making their QB look like Tom Brady. I thought, hell we can save $700k-$800k and just call PR back to town. Chavis knows football, no doubt, but damn....35 pts would have been plenty.

Hogtimes

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on January 02, 2018, 02:09:30 pm

He needs a fresh start at another school, and we are looking for a DC who has a lot of experience.

There might have been a reason why Bob Stoops toured our facilities when Bob was in NWA the day he spoke at the NWA TD Club (Bob may have been scouting and finding out information for his Brother in case Mike won't be back at OU).

Wow...now that is a reach

JusJim

Bobby Allen isn't a coach, and thus, doesn't count towards the 9 (soon to be 10) coaches that a team can have.  He's been with Arkansas in one capacity or another for 20+ years I believe.  The last few years he's been like a "go between" for High Schools and the NFL.  Hopefully they keep him.

opineonswine

Quote from: LZH on January 02, 2018, 04:23:04 pm
May be. But it sure made me queasy watching some of that....WF ran the same play over and over and trotted right down the field making their QB look like Tom Brady. I thought, hell we can save $700k-$800k and just call PR back to town. Chavis knows football, no doubt, but damn....35 pts would have been plenty.

Have you done any research on WF's season?  They scored a lot of points. For example, they scored 37 on then #3 ND and had almost 600 yards. Jimbo Fisher was apparently  recently turned down by that DC.

LZH

Quote from: opineonswine on January 02, 2018, 04:29:06 pm
Have you done any research on WF's season?  They scored a lot of points. For example, they scored 37 on then #3 ND and had almost 600 yards. Jimbo Fisher was apparently  recently turned down by that DC.

That's the first I'd seen of them. They definitely were better than I expected.

deedster84

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on January 02, 2018, 02:09:30 pm

Didn't his defense just give up 54?

The real Hogules

Quote from: opineonswine on January 02, 2018, 04:29:06 pm

Yes, and they also scored 51 on Presbyterian, 46 on Utah State, and 23 in a loss to Duke. My point being that while Wake did put up plenty of points in some games, it was "usually" against a lesser opponent. And although their overall record is a respectable 8-5, they only finished 4-4 in conference play. And if we're going to hire a DC based on a single game, then we might ought to go after the App. State DC, whose defense only gave up 20 points to this same Wake Forrest team, in a 20-19 loss. I'd much prefer that we looked at any potential DC's entire body of work, rather than a single game, though.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

opineonswine

Quote from: The real Hogules on January 02, 2018, 04:40:43 pm
Yes, and they also scored 51 on Presbyterian, 46 on Utah State, and 23 in a loss to Duke. My point being that while Wake did put up plenty of points in some games, it was "usually" against a lesser opponent. And although their overall record is a respectable 8-5, they only finished 4-4 in conference play. And if we're going to hire a DC based on a single game, then we might ought to go after the App. State DC, whose defense only gave up 20 points to this same Wake Forrest team, in a 20-19 loss. I'd much prefer that we looked at any potential DC's entire body of work, rather than a single game, though.

I'm afraid I don't see your point. For Arkansas to be able to hire a DC with Chavis credentials would be quite an achievement.

deedster84

Here's my simple take on Chavis. We are going to get looked at because of his name alone. The number 1 JUCO DT is looking at us because of him. If we can get better defenders because of him and he doesn't work out, then our new DC will have talent to work with. If he does work out, we could have a bright future.

LZH

Quote from: The real Hogules on January 02, 2018, 04:40:43 pm

To be fair, the only other A&M game I saw this year was against us, and I wasn't even paying attention to Chavis being their D.C. So that piss poor performance in the WF game just smacked me in the face.

imtad16

Ohio State looks to be finalizing the hire of Alex Grinch, who many around here were excited about the possibility of him coming to Arkansas(including me), that gave up 58 to Arizona and 44 to Boise State. I think for one reason or another in this age of fast moving high scoring spread offenses even good DC's are gonna have those games.

(notOM)Rebel123

"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

HogNTX

Hopefully we get clarification on roles etc today... or A&M blinks and we get to announce Chavis too.

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: HogNTX on January 03, 2018, 07:44:29 am
Hopefully we get clarification on roles etc today... or A&M blinks and we get to announce Chavis too.

Looks like we didn't get clarification today.
I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton

imtad16

Good grief Dave Aranda is getting paid a lot.

That would make him the 48th highest paid coach. He is making more than Barry Odom and Lincoln Riley(probably not for long though).

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

NuttinItUp

Quote from: imtad16 on January 03, 2018, 09:25:31 pm

That would make him the 48th highest paid coach. He is making more than Barry Odom and Lincoln Riley(probably not for long though).

Wow. I guess LSU had to match Texas A&M's courting. $2.5 mil to be an assistant is a good gig, though. Good for him.

HogNTX

Pork Twain

None of this matters without a post from PRJ
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

WOOPIGDOOIE

Quote from: HogNTX on January 03, 2018, 09:33:27 pm
Now they keep Chavis???
With all the reports saying Chavis is "In&working" for Arkansas, i dont see that happening.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 03, 2018, 09:42:29 pm
None of this matters without a post from PRJ

And here is said post.

I got nothing....except we hired a great head coach!!

PRJ

redeye

Quote from: imtad16 on January 03, 2018, 09:25:31 pm

How much is Orgeron making?

I don't blame LSU here.  Aranda's worth that much, imo.

WOOPIGDOOIE

Quote from: redeye on January 03, 2018, 09:48:42 pm
How much is Orgeron making?

I don't blame LSU here.  Aranda's worth that much, imo.
3.5Mil

redeye

Quote from: WOOPIGDOOIE on January 03, 2018, 09:50:32 pm
3.5Mil

Canada makes 1.5 mil, so they're paying their HC and coordinators 7.5 mil altogether.

Or a little more than Auburn's paying Malzahn...  ;D

shshark00

Quote from: WOOPIGDOOIE on January 03, 2018, 09:44:05 pm
With all the reports saying Chavis is "In&working" for Arkansas, i dont see that happening.

One. One report is saying that. Multiple other outlets have taken it and ran with, but only one source originated the "in & working" quote, and they aren't the most reliable source.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: redeye on January 03, 2018, 10:01:27 pm
Canada makes 1.5 mil, so they're paying their HC and coordinators 7.5 mil altogether.

Or a little more than Auburn's paying Malzahn...  ;D

I think LSU is getting a better deal than Auburn. (minus perhaps Orgeron...but maybe with good assistants they can minimize the damage he can do)

HogPharmer

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Tim Harris on January 02, 2018, 02:08:23 pm
Pressers are always at 4

Someone needs to let us know which time zone....................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi