Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dont get to excited...Arkansas basketball won't be back anytime soon. (12 yrs)

Started by batmanfan, February 08, 2009, 02:17:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

batmanfan

It's going to be a long while before we get the program we want and deserve again.  The only way we are going to get back to where we want to be is to hire a coach who can come in here and consistently get the big time talent to compete with the big boys.  And I'll give you a hint, it WONT be John Pelphrey.

Pelphrey is another Heath, a scrub with a fiery attitude.  But under that attitude is a lack of skill in coaching and recruiting.

To be a successful program you either have to know how to recruit to cover up your coaching woes, or you have to be a great X's and O's guy to cover up your recruiting mistakes.

But to be an ELITE program you have to be able to recruit AND coach.  And my dear friends our head guy has neither of those two qualities. 

The sooner we pony up the money, the better.

BAT
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

donewithdale

Quote from: batmanfan on February 08, 2009, 02:17:52 am
It's going to be a long while before we get the program we want and deserve again.  The only way we are going to get back to where we want to be is to hire a coach who can come in here and consistently get the big time talent to compete with the big boys.  And I'll give you a hint, it WONT be John Pelphrey.

Pelphrey is another Heath, a scrub with a fiery attitude.  But under that attitude is a lack of skill in coaching and recruiting.

To be a successful program you either have to know how to recruit to cover up your coaching woes, or you have to be a great X's and O's guy to cover up your recruiting mistakes.

But to be an ELITE program you have to be able to recruit AND coach.  And my dear friends our head guy has neither of those two qualities. 

BAT

Please give us your list of potential candidates and why they would leave their current positions for our job.  Also, please list what makes our job attractive to coaching candidates. 

batmanfan

Sean Miller, Jamie Dixon, Nova's coach, Mike Anderson, Andy Kennedy, a total unknown (like Petrino in football) just to name a few.
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

donewithdale

Quote from: batmanfan on February 08, 2009, 02:26:49 am
Sean Miller, Jamie Dixon, Nova's coach, Mike Anderson, Andy Kennedy, a total unknown (like Petrino in football) just to name a few.

Why would a Big East coach leave the best conference, great recruiting territory, newer and better facilities for our job?  Money?  And yes, we could get lucky with a great coach being unhappy in their current situation and wanting a change. 

31to6

batmanfan

Donewithdale, I just threw some names out there, but something is going to have to change if we ever want to mean something in college basketball again.  I'm not trying to be negative, but this is theStan Heath era all over again and it may even be worse.

I thought Jeff Long may have a connection with Dixon.  I think Miller would like to jump to the SEC from the A10.

donewithdale

Quote from: batmanfan on February 08, 2009, 02:32:06 am
Donewithdale, I just threw some names out there, but something is going to have to change if we ever want to mean something in college basketball again.  I'm not trying to be negative, but this is theStan Heath era all over again and it may even be worse.

I thought Jeff Long may have a connection with Dixon.  I think Miller would like to jump to the SEC from the A10.

I am concerned with recruiting.  And I have no idea if Pel will make it even to year 5.  But I think we may have an overinflated view of our job because of what Eddie and Nolan did from 77 to 96. 

Take Miller, he has a much newer arena in a city that likes basketball and is much closer to more recruits in a conference that focuses on basketball.  If he were to leave, it would mean we are paying him a bunch of money.  That adds to the pressure and expectations to win immediately.  Our fans have no tolerance or patience as its been too long since we have last had success.  So Miller would be immediately expected to produce a top 15-20 team with a home recruiting base that is inferior to much of the conference and certainly to upper tier programs in college basketball.  Our facility is still large and rather nice but is aging while even programs like Auburn and Ole Miss upgrade facilities and build practice facilities. 

3kgthog

Also, please tell us where the cash will come from for this ponying up. The RF is almost broke.

roundball

Quote from: donewithdale on February 08, 2009, 02:20:29 am
Please give us your list of potential candidates and why they would leave their current positions for our job.  Also, please list what makes our job attractive to coaching candidates. 

Our facilities are top notch along with an arena that will put nearly twenty thousand butts in the seats every night if we start winning. This was once the prime time of college basketball! We have more money than anyone thinks..

kuhog

Didn't we try throwing big time money out there after Heath was let go? We saw what happened next. We couldn't really get any high profile coach to sniff in our direction. Sorry folks, but just because we can throw money and facilities to a coach, doesn't guarantee high interest in our program. The fact is, our basketball program has fallen off so far, we are no longer relevent. So we can either give Pel an opportunity to see if he can make us relevent again, or we can fire Pel after 3 years, then become the joke we were a couple of years ago when we thought we could attract any big time coach we wanted to come to Arkansas. And we all remember that debacle, don't we?

Ulysses_S_Grunt

If we fire Pel after this year, we will be the joke of the college coaching world. Nobody worth anything would come to a program that fires a guy after ONE year. I honestly don't think you can count last year, the good or the bad of it, for Pel. He had a group of seniors that had underachieved for their entire career, and he hadn't recruited any of them. This year we have virtually no depth and are playing mostly freshman. If you fire a guy for sucking it up with a team of mostly unproven freshmen, then nobody will want to come and coach for that program. Our fans got their hopes up after the Oklahoma and Texas games, and now we've been taken back down to reality. Some are able to deal with it, some are freaking out and calling for someone's head. Most people expected us to suck it up in the SEC this year, and thats exactly what we are doing. Let Pelphrey have another year, get a few more guys in here, and have some experienced sophomores and see what he does. If we end up doing horrible next year as well, then sure, put him on the hot seat. But IMO, you cannot fire this guy without major major repercussions until the end of the 2010 season. At the moment, I still have faith in the guy, and will continue to call the hogs. Hopefully we'll be back to where we were in the late 80s/early-mid 90s.

Go Hogs, and WPS!

forrest city joe

Quote from: kuhog on February 08, 2009, 10:01:51 am
Didn't we try throwing big time money out there after Heath was let go? We saw what happened next. We couldn't really get any high profile coach to sniff in our direction. Sorry folks, but just because we can throw money and facilities to a coach, doesn't guarantee high interest in our program. The fact is, our basketball program has fallen off so far, we are no longer relevent. So we can either give Pel an opportunity to see if he can make us relevent again, or we can fire Pel after 3 years, then become the joke we were a couple of years ago when we thought we could attract any big time coach we wanted to come to Arkansas. And we all remember that debacle, don't we?
For the last time. nobody wanted to work for John White and Broyles. if it comes to it.Jeff long will get us a bigtime coach.

TNhawgfan

Phil Jackson said next year may be his last with the Lakers, so put him on your list too
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

TNhawgfan

Quote from: forrest city joe on February 08, 2009, 05:35:29 pm
For the last time. nobody wanted to work for John White and Broyles. if it comes to it.Jeff long will get us a bigtime coach.
Sure, all the big name coaches will want to work for the AD who fired the coach with the best first year record in Arkansas history after one bad season. Makes sense to me
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

Oliver

BAT

+1 Bat

HawgAdvocate

"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: forrest city joe on February 08, 2009, 05:35:29 pm

Link? It sure doesn't help that we have a fanbase pushing for constant change, at the drop of a dime, over and over and over and over and over.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on February 08, 2009, 06:01:34 pm
Link? It sure doesn't help that we have a fanbase pushing for constant change, at the drop of a dime, over and over and over and over and over.
The only fanbases not pushing for change are the ones with good programs and even some of them are still doing it.   
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Dr. Starcs

I like how Batmanfan wants a big name coach and then proceeds to mention the "Nova coach."

I motion for a new HOGVILLE LAW.  If you don't know the name of a coach, then you can't call for Pel's head to be replaced with said coach. 

dotnet

Quote from: batmanfan on January 07, 2009, 02:50:35 pm
Its a special time friends...I'm back for a speical post for all of my fans! The non. conf. state is completed for the most part and now it's time for the annual Bat predictions. Read and learn from the master fiends!

East
1.UT (Pred. Rec.: 11-5)- This team is good but not nearly as good as the teams the past few years. Long and athletic have replaced the jump shooting teams of years past. This team is the best in a very mediocre SEC Eastern Division.
2.UK (Pred. Rec: 10-6)- I'll go with last years record here, because Billy G seems to get them ready for conference play. Its hard to get tops in the SEC East with only two SEC caliber basketball players on your team.
3.UF (Pred. Rec: 9-7)- I've been disappointed with the progress of the sophmore class. Calthes is the an though but I don't see much else here to really get me fired up about the Gators.
4.USC (Pred. Rec: 9-7)- Downey is amazing but whos gonna step up and be the force inside? Holmes? They need someone else, but this team cold go as high as 2 if things go right for them.
5.Vandy (Pred. Rec: 7-9)- Big O is still having a nice year, but I just don't see much else around for Vandy to really do much this year.
6.UGA (Pred. Rec: 3-13)- This team is bad, very bad....Albert Jackson looks pretty cool out there though!

West
1.Arkansas- (Pred. Rec: 11-5)- How can you now love the Hogs right now? The job Pel and his team have done is way beyond anyones expections. They could possible bring oe the POY award (Washington), FOY (Fortson) and COY (Pel). Any they are ALL coming back next year. Be scared SEC,be very afraid.
3.Alabama- (Pred. Rec: 7-9)- Steele and Gee have really came along, but after that I dont see the "talent" everyone always gleems about....Look for this to be Gottfried's swan song. Playing wiht Clemson was nice, so I'm putting them in a 3 way tie with...
3.Miss. St.- (Pred. Rec.: 7-9)- This team does the same thing every year...suck it up in non. conf. but always seems to do well in conf.
3.LSU- (Pred. Rec.: 7-9)- The lose to Utah was a real joke, and that really brings them down a notch in my book.
5.Auburn- (Pred. Rec.: 5-11)- This team has a chance to be decent, but it seems like that has been the case the last 2 years. This team doesnt have any all sec stars, or even really good players, just a bunch of guys who would be nice role players on the other teams in the SEC. Will be interesting to see how hat frmular works for LEbo and staff.
6.Ole Miss- (Pred. Rec: 3-13)- Sorry Kenedy, but to many injures and youth for your boys this year.

All SEC 1st Team
Washington
Downey
Meeks
Patterson
Cathletes
Fortson
Smith
Vanerdo

ALL SEC 2nd Team
Oligivy
Barber
Steele
Gee
Mitchell
Thorton
Welch
Chism

SEC FOY- Fortson
SEC COY- PEL

SEC Teams in the NCAA Tourney-
UT, Arkansas, UK, Flordia

What do you guys think?

Luckily, the Batman isn't prone to making erroneous statements based off of emotion.

Rooka

Quote from: dotnet on February 08, 2009, 06:46:22 pm
Luckily, the Batman isn't prone to making erroneous statements based off of emotion.
Damn....Burn.

Pork Twain

BAT
This post doesn't make you appear to be the brightest bulb.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

dotnet

Quote from: batmanfan on February 08, 2009, 02:26:49 am

Andy Kennedy?  I agree, we should hire him.  Talk about all the exposure.  It would certainly be an international incident. 

http://ncaabasketball.fanhouse.com/2009/02/02/cincinnati-police-release-andy-kennedy-arrest-video/