Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Anderson Watch...

Started by N HOG, February 07, 2009, 09:06:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Table Rocker

I get that n hog, but I've heard similar arguments with petrino- he had all success in c-usa, he can't handle the sec, etc. BP got a no-questions-asked free pass because we were young and returned almost nothing, sound familiar?

N HOG

Quote from: Coondog Hog on February 07, 2009, 11:39:45 pm
Nolan never quit recruiting, sanctions cut into our schollies and he refused to kiss the arse of some AAU pimps coaching a few good players.  He was starting to pull better players in his recruiting his last two years and has proved thus far to be the best thing the UofA has or ever will see as a basketball coach and 2nd isnt close.

Agree -- and if JFB hadn't been so jealous over his success and the undisputed NC, he might still be coaching here.

Coondog Hog

I make no bones about loving me som Nolan and Mike, but that being said its not time to quit on Pel yet.
'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan
Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 08, 2011, 11:02:18 pm
I've had alot of things in and out of my butt, but never Monkeys..

rude1

Quote from: TuckerRay on February 07, 2009, 10:15:44 pm
So how long do you stay with a bad coach?
Unfortunately, even if you suspect that you made a hiring mistake with your coach, you can't toss him after two seasons, unless the program totally collapses. Pel deserves four seasons IMO to turn the train wreck around, it is only fair. With that said, with his inability thus far to land high profile recruits, I am starting to believe that he isn't going to be the one who leads this program back into league contention and national contention.

donewithdale

Quote from: Coondog Hog on February 07, 2009, 11:39:45 pm
Nolan never quit recruiting, sanctions cut into our schollies and he refused to kiss the arse of some AAU pimps coaching a few good players.  He was starting to pull better players in his recruiting his last two years and has proved thus far to be the best thing the UofA has or ever will see as a basketball coach and 2nd isnt close.

Where did I say Nolan quit?  Nolan got JJ Sullinger who was a very average college player because he knew his father.  Like I have repeated here many times, Igoudala avg 9 ppg in college.  Nine ppg was not leading Gomez, Lane, Satchell and Sullinger to any kind of success.  Nolan with Coach A right at his side did not adapt to the college game in recruiting and on the court.

The Boar War

Quote from: chiefsfan on February 07, 2009, 10:56:13 pm
They didnt compete in the SEC though.   They played in a bad basketball conference

The SEC is not a good basketball conference anymore.  Not even close.

donewithdale

Quote from: The Boar War on February 07, 2009, 11:52:31 pm
The SEC is not a good basketball conference anymore.  Not even close.

One season.

Merle Hawggard

February 07, 2009, 11:59:21 pm #57 Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 12:01:20 am by Merle Hawggard
Quote from: Table Rocker on February 07, 2009, 11:44:25 pm
I get that n hog, but I've heard similar arguments with petrino- he had all success in c-usa, he can't handle the sec, etc. BP got a no-questions-asked free pass because we were young and returned almost nothing, sound familiar?

im not taking a side here, but i firmly believe you can turn a basketball team around a lot easier than a football team. 5 starters vs at least 22 starters (not including special teams). do the math. petrino's 5-7 is impressive to me in that he has a lot of positions to rebuild. 2 of those games (kentucky, ole miss) could have went our way and then its 7-5. same might be said about our basketball team this year. truth is it's just too early to judge the bball coach just yet.
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"If I tell you a rooster can pull a freight train....hook his a$$ up!!\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" Terry Whitlock

Table Rocker

Your last sentence is all I was looking for.

dhornjr1

February 08, 2009, 12:05:57 am #59 Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 12:09:44 am by dhornjr1
You hit the nail on the head about Coach Richardson, Coondog Hog.

Count me as one who wanted Mike Anderson as well. However, the untenable situation with Broyles and anyone who was perceived as being in the Richardson camp Anderson's hiring an impossibility while Broyles was still on his throne.

That being said, don't give up on Coach Pelphrey just yet. If nothing else , he is a class act. How refreshing does that continue to be in the wake of the devastation Houston wrought in Fayetteville for ten years? I think you have to give him a couple more years to get his players in there so he can fully implement his system. Right now, he can't press and go balls-to-the-wall as he would like to do because he simply doesn't have the manpower.             

N HOG

Quote from: Table Rocker on February 07, 2009, 11:39:02 pm
By the way you don't need me to embarass you, your posts are doing the job just fine.

Okay, you keep challenging me on my perspective on this.

Let's turn the tables.

Please explain to me what you see in John Pelphrey's RECORD that makes you believe he is going to lead us to national prominence in basketball.

That's a simple question, isn't it?

And, while you are at it, since you understand basketball a lot better than I do -- please explain what we are TRYING to do in our halfcourt offense.

Table Rocker

Bottom line n hog, we have pel, he aint going anywhere for another year or two- firing him now would hurt our program even worse than it is now. He might not be the answer but I'll give more than one year of his recruits, like any sane fan would do.

N HOG

Quote from: Table Rocker on February 08, 2009, 12:13:09 am
Bottom line n hog, we have pel, he aint going anywhere for another year or two- firing him now would hurt our program even worse than it is now. He might not be the answer but I'll give more than one year of his recruits, like any sane fan would do.

So, in other words, you are not even going to ATTEMPT to answer either one of my two simple questions.

I wasn't being facetious -- I simply thought maybe you could answer them.

dhornjr1

Quote from: Table Rocker on February 08, 2009, 12:13:09 am

Well, you're a St. Louis Cardinal fan. That makes you sane in my book.         

coach, my back hurts

I DO NOT believe that Pel should be fired this season.  If next yr is alot like this, considering the in-state class coming up, then he needs to be let go next yr.

And if Petrino has another 5-7 season next yr, followed by a mid-30's recruiting, this board will have a melt down.  What if Petrino followed up two 5-7 seasons with a 6-6 or 7-5 season?  Ppl would be getting impatient as well.

Bball teams can get turned around much quicker than fball.  1 or 2 recruits in bball can get you to the Sweet16 probably.  Of course McFad/Jones/Hillis almost got us a BCS, so i guess the same can hold true in fball.  But lightning hit the Ark football team twice with those two players.  Most likely wont happen too often.

Pel should get 3yrs and Petrino should get 4 maybe 5.  After those respective yrs are up the direction the program is heading will begin to take shape.  For the better or worse.