Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Was Pel a Jeff Long hiring?

Started by Hogtropolis™, February 07, 2009, 07:26:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogtropolis™

Or was it a Frank Broyles hire?

If it was Broyles, do you think that puts more pressure on Pel?

Do you think he can survive a 2-14 or 3-13 conference record?  Stan never had worse than a 4-12 conference season and I feel like his circumstances were worse than what Pel has right now.

I really don't think he will be able to survive two seasons with 5 or less conference wins, which means this recruiting class is make or break for him.  Right now it is decent which means the late signing period is crucial for him.

I hate to get down on Pel, but I am having my doubts right now.

HawgAdvocate

He'll survive because he just replaced 90% of the team.

It's not as if we were a top 10 program with 5* kids from all over just itching to replace Gary Ervin, Charles Thomas, Vince Hunter, Steven Hill, & Darian Townes.

"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

COACHINTEXAS

You guys that are using the excuse of being young are just looking for something to blame. If I remember right and I know I do, Corliss, Scotty and that group was young, but didn't play like it. Mayberry, Day and Big O won the SWC their freshman year and the SEC as sophmores. I'm sorry, but 2 years just doesn't mean that much when most of these guys have been playing ball since they could bounce one.
No one plans to fail, they fail to plan!!!!

HogBreath

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on February 07, 2009, 07:29:01 pm
He'll survive because he just replaced 90% of the team.

It's not as if we were a top 10 program with 5* kids from all over just itching to replace Gary Ervin, Charles Thomas, Vince Hunter, Steven Hill, & Darian Townes.

I'm not captain of the Pelphrey fan club, but he did inherit a short squad for sure, and then we lost Beverley for this year, McDonald flaked out too.  We may just have to be patient for a few years and see if he can get it rebuilt.  Truth is, we've been a bad basketball team for a while now.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Smithian

Jeff Long did not hire Pelphrey.

Yeah, I agree, it is horrible to fire after two years, but if we go 1-15 or 2-14 and it happens, I guarantee if we give Jeff Long a blank check he'll find a good coach, call him, and refuse to take "no" as an answer.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: COACHINTEXAS on February 07, 2009, 07:33:31 pm
You guys that are using the excuse of being young are just looking for something to blame. If I remember right and I know I do, Corliss, Scotty and that group was young, but didn't play like it. Mayberry, Day and Big O won the SWC their freshman year and the SEC as sophmores. I'm sorry, but 2 years just doesn't mean that much when most of these guys have been playing ball since they could bounce one.

Wrong, Day and crew were seniors when they won the SEC.

Corliss was a Mickey D's AA from instate that had just replaced Final Four talent. When you fall off the map from 1998 till 2007, you don't suddenly become good with a snap of the fingers.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

3kgthog

Jeff Long is smart enough to know that ditching Pelphrey after 2 seasons would be a PR nightmare worse than what BP went through. He also knows the UA is light on cash right now hence us having to borrow money. A new coach ain't happening no matter the record.

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: HogBreath on February 07, 2009, 07:35:17 pm
I'm not captain of the Pelphrey fan club, but he did inherit a short squad for sure, and then we lost Beverley for this year, McDonald flaked out too.  We may just have to be patient for a few years and see if he can get it rebuilt.  Truth is, we've been a bad basketball team for a while now.
Let me preface this by saying that I am not abandoning supporting Pel, I am just simply posing questions.

But as someone else pointed out, when does that become the coaches fault? We recruited a stud at SF (Payne) who couldn't qualify or something, McDonald replaced him but couldn't make it past 10 games without getting kicked off team, and Beverley did something to get kicked off the team on Pels watch.

Again, when do things like that start falling back on the coach?

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on February 07, 2009, 07:46:59 pm
Let me preface this by saying that I am not abandoning supporting Pel, I am just simply posing questions.

But as someone else pointed out, when does that become the coaches fault? We recruited a stud at SF (Payne) who couldn't qualify or something, McDonald replaced him but couldn't make it past 10 games without getting kicked off team, and Beverley did something to get kicked off the team on Pels watch.

Again, when do things like that start falling back on the coach?

PB's thing was in motion before Heath signd him.
Payne was a risk, but the #2 JUCO can be a risk worth taking when you have a class as big as ours was.
Pel wouldn't have signed McDonald if he envisioned having to kick him off. He obviously wasn't a first option.

I do blame Pel for McDonald, but he needed to try and balance the class as best he could. He needed a JUCO singman, and McDonald was a decent player with an attitude problem. 90% of all teams have kids with attitude problems. You think Rick Pitino didn't know Character had an attitude problem? It happens.

Conway4Hogs

I may be wrong on this but I believe Coach Pel was hired by no other than John "Golden Handcuffs" White

elkhog

Quote from: Smithian on February 07, 2009, 07:35:25 pm
Jeff Long did not hire Pelphrey.

Yeah, I agree, it is horrible to fire after two years, but if we go 1-15 or 2-14 and it happens, I guarantee if we give Jeff Long a blank check he'll find a good coach, call him, and refuse to take "no" as an answer.

Please no Big 10!
GO HOGS!!!

moses_007

Quote from: Conway4Hogs on February 07, 2009, 08:07:09 pm
I may be wrong on this but I believe Coach Pel was hired by no other than John "Golden Handcuffs" White

I think you are right.  Didn't John White hire him while Broyles was in Georgia golfing?

ArkieBrat

I don't know if anyone remembers this or not but after the Dana Altman fiasco UA could not find anyone who would accept the job.  I think Pel was like 7t or 8th on the list when he was finally offered the coaching job.  Heath had been fired, Altman had backed out after the acceptance press conference, FB had failed to even have Altman sign a contract, and we were without a coach for what seemed like forever.  And to make it even worse, every name on the list turned us down.....until Pel agreed.  Maybe there is a reason that he was 7th or 8th on the list.
My all time Razorback favs.....

1. 1969 Shootout (Longhorns 'n Hogs football)
2.  Great Alaska Shootout under Eddie Sutton
3.  Orange Bowl CLASSIC under the Great Lou
4.  Rollin w/Nolan AND the '94 NC
5.  Being able to see Nolan and Company at the Aloha Classic in Honolulu (Dec '94) & all of us breaking bread together at a luau, & watching Nolan do the hula after being called onstage. AWESOME!  It doesn't get any better than that.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: ArkieBrat on February 07, 2009, 09:24:31 pm
I don't know if anyone remembers this or not but after the Dana Altman fiasco UA could not find anyone who would accept the job.  I think Pel was like 7t or 8th on the list when he was finally offered the coaching job.  Heath had been fired, Altman had backed out after the acceptance press conference, FB had failed to even have Altman sign a contract, and we were without a coach for what seemed like forever.  And to make it even worse, every name on the list turned us down.....until Pel agreed.  Maybe there is a reason that he was 7th or 8th on the list.

The bad thing was that Altman was choice #6 or 7 already. We had Rick Majerus eating his way through the door to coach us, and had rumors of either Anthony Grant, Oliver Purnell, Mike Dunlop, or Pel being the next choices.

ArkieBrat

HawgAdvocate, you are correct.  Goodness, all that drama seems like a lifetime ago.  I remember FB and JW being at the presser with the Altmans calling the hogs and looking very uncomfortable.  I knew then something was not right.  FB was in such a hurry to get to the golf tourney in Georgia that a binding contract was not even signed.  JW called FB in GA and had him to fly his butt right back to UA.  I still remember FB's plane flying in around midnight or so with FB trying to avoid the media.  In spite of it all, I still have to chuckle.
My all time Razorback favs.....

1. 1969 Shootout (Longhorns 'n Hogs football)
2.  Great Alaska Shootout under Eddie Sutton
3.  Orange Bowl CLASSIC under the Great Lou
4.  Rollin w/Nolan AND the '94 NC
5.  Being able to see Nolan and Company at the Aloha Classic in Honolulu (Dec '94) & all of us breaking bread together at a luau, & watching Nolan do the hula after being called onstage. AWESOME!  It doesn't get any better than that.