Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

no Montrell McDonald, Marcus Monk, Patrick Beverley. Pel's fault?

Started by mathhog, February 07, 2009, 04:24:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ICEman

You gotta do your homework on these, in the case of Monk, men.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

Razorod

i will say this--it is becoming more and more apparent why altman walked away from the job. i do appreciate pel taking the job.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

BentonvilleJeff

Not being a hater but I don't see Pelphrey playing those guys even if he had them. The first half today was awesome. Everyone played, shared the ball and did their part. Then the 2nd half starts and we go back to a 7 man team.

This game in my mind is on the head coach. He has to live and die with the whole team and not get into a rut and wear out our main guys and not sub one bit. How come he can't figure out we have two young big men with potential? I've lost a whole lot of confidence in the head coach in just a matter of weeks.

linze82

let's see..........

pel recruited mcdonald, so i would say that was a bad call on pel.
bev- maybe not pel's fault, but whatever happened w/ bev and his grades happened on pel's watch
monk- are you serious? he fell in pel's lap. he wasn't even supposed to be on this team.
smite me bishes

Porkatarian

Matt,

I'm a big Pel supporter, but lets be realistic about this:

Pel and his staff got on McDonald late and didn't do their homework on the kid before signing him.

No coach in the SEC should ever count on a player being cut from an NFL roster to come in and make a major impact on his squad.

Pel knew that Beverly was a risk with "off the court issues".  He tried to sign Devin Dumes (sp?) as a potential replacement, but the kid went to Indiana.

This late signing period will make or break Pel's future at Arkansas. 

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: Porkatarian on February 07, 2009, 05:38:31 pm
Matt,

Pel and his staff got on McDonald late and didn't do their homework on the kid before signing him.

No coach in the SEC should ever count on a player being cut from an NFL roster to come in and make a major impact on his squad.

Pel knew that Beverly was a risk with "off the court issues".  He tried to sign Devin Dumes (sp?) as a potential replacement, but the kid went to Indiana.

Porkatarian out...
BINGO is your name-O.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

forrest city joe

Matt,

Porkatarian out...
Bingo! right on the money.

jethro

Is that the same Dumas that was ejected for excessive elbows (including one to the groin) today against MSU?

hmmm.
Registered in 2003.

Least post per day average on this board.

Pel also knew Beverly was a standout BB player.  I suspect McDonald was an emergency grasp.  The fact that we can stay with other teams and actually beat 1 or 2 good teams shows that our players can play a little.  We are simply too young, too in-experienced, too short and no depth that the coach will play.  I think we should blame Lanny Van Emmon (sp).  I think he was coach before Sutton.  If he had coached a little better, we never would have hired Sutton and Sutton wouldn't have sharpened his skills at Arkansas while upgrading the team and then left for KY.  If Sutton hadn't ever been here and raised the expectations, we wouldn't have hired Nolan and Nolan couldn't have screwed us up by winning.  The fact that we are back to Lanny Van Emmon level has escaped many on here.  Pel MAY be able to pull us out of this.  Hopefully, he reads Hogville where he can surely find the recipe for the next NC. 

WilsonHog

Matt,

Porkatarian out...

I was going to respond to mathhog's post, but all debate ends right here.

Nice job, Pork.