Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I hope the Razorbacks stay keyed in on this kid here in Memphis (lean, Joe Jackson)

Started by HognotinMemphis, January 28, 2009, 10:15:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HognotinMemphis

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=68259&Sport=2

I saw him play two years ago as a freshman. I've kept up with him in the paper since then. I can't recall the last time he didn't score at least 30 points when I look at the boxscores for White Station's games. He's a 5'11" PG and been the leading scorer on this team for 3 years. He's lightning in a bottle fast and has as feathery a jumper as I've ever seen.

White Station plays in the state's top HS classification. My daughter graduated from there two years ago.

Jackson is one of the top 2 or 3 PG's in the country in the junior class. It will be difficult to beat out Memphis and Calipari for him but Pelphrey needs this kid worse than Calipari does...Joe Jackson is levels better than Fortson.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Razorod

do you know anything about the hogs' chances? as of now, i can't see pel beating calipari out for a recruit calipari wants.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Smithian

Had we not bombed following the Texas game, we'd be in good sitting with him.

rude1

Quote from: HoginMemphis on January 28, 2009, 10:15:37 am
http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=68259&Sport=2

I saw him play two years ago as a freshman. I've kept up with him in the paper since then. I can't recall the last time he didn't score at least 30 points when I look at the boxscores for White Station's games. He's a 5'11" PG and been the leading scorer on this team for 3 years. He's lightning in a bottle fast and has as feathery a jumper as I've ever seen.

White Station plays in the state's top HS classification. My daughter graduated from there two years ago.

Jackson is one of the top 2 or 3 PG's in the country in the junior class. It will be difficult to beat out Memphis and Calipari for him but Pelphrey needs this kid worse than Calipari does...Joe Jackson is levels better than Fortson.
Not wanting to dampen anyones enthusiasm over a recruit. But we are currently trying the 5'11"(which means the kid is probably closer to 5'9"), point guard experiment, and it doesn't work very well. I know there are some small kids who can play at this level at that size, but they are so far and few between. Unless a kid is lightning quick with a deadly outside shot, he is going to have a very tough time playing at this level.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Razorod on January 28, 2009, 11:17:25 am
do you know anything about the hogs' chances? as of now, i can't see pel beating calipari out for a recruit calipari wants.
Generally speaking, you are correct. In this particular case however, Memphis already has a great freshman PG. So Jackson coming into Memphis won't get the playing time that he would at Arkansas. He would start immediately at Arkansas - not even the slightest unlikelihood of this.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: rude1 on January 28, 2009, 11:43:58 am
Not wanting to dampen anyones enthusiasm over a recruit. But we are currently trying the 5'11"(which means the kid is probably closer to 5'9"), point guard experiment, and it doesn't work very well. I know there are some small kids who can play at this level at that size, but they are so far and few between. Unless a kid is lightning quick with a deadly outside shot, he is going to have a very tough time playing at this level.
Did you read my post thoroughly?

Lightning quick? Check. Deadly outside shot? Check. Scores as much as he wants? Check. In the toughest and largest HS classification in a state of over 5 million people? Check. Being recruited by the top programs in the country? Check. Proved himself since his freshman year? Check.

Porkatarian

Rude1, go talk to anyone in the Memphis area that knows basketball, and they'll tell you that this kid is the REAL DEAL.

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

donewithdale

Quote from: HoginMemphis on January 28, 2009, 12:03:13 pm
Generally speaking, you are correct. In this particular case however, Memphis already has a great freshman PG. So Jackson coming into Memphis won't get the playing time that he would at Arkansas. He would start immediately at Arkansas - not even the slightest unlikelihood of this.

That's all good.  But when jumping into the Memphis cesspool to recruit, other factors come in.  Who is in the kid's entourage?  Top adviser?  Did he play for that liar Easterwood? 

Razorod

great to hear. i would love to get Luke Cothron (who i believe is also from Memphis) and Jackson for the 2010 class. That would give me a little confidence that perhaps the future does have some hope.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: donewithdale on January 28, 2009, 12:09:12 pm
That's all good.  But when jumping into the Memphis cesspool to recruit, other factors come in.  Who is in the kid's entourage?  Top adviser?  Did he play for that liar Easterwood?

Jesus. Not everyone is a bad seed. This Jackson kid is a good one.

razorhead94

Quote from: Razorod on January 28, 2009, 12:10:07 pm
great to hear. i would love to get Luke Cothron (who i believe is also from Memphis) and Jackson for the 2010 class. That would give me a little confidence that perhaps the future does have some hope.

actually luke cothron is from alabama, but yeah jackson would be good.  Dont count out wade either from east poinsett for 2010.  If you are talking guys from memphis, then tarrik black is another guy.
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

hawgsav1

I've watched some video of Joe Jackson, and he's pretty solid.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

yodcw2003

upperdeck_hawg

chris paul is about 5'10 with an average outside shot
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

The Realist

A couple things on this kid
A) I couldn't give a crap less if Joe Jackson is 5'2...watch him play once and then say one thing about his height or any other part of his game.  All it does is make you look stupid and anyone who has seen the kid will agree.

B) We have no shot with the kid so talking about him is a moot point.  He is on the Fedex Express to Calipari
"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

rude1

Quote from: HoginMemphis on January 28, 2009, 12:05:16 pm
Did you read my post thoroughly?

Lightning quick? Check. Deadly outside shot? Check. Scores as much as he wants? Check. In the toughest and largest HS classification in a state of over 5 million people? Check. Being recruited by the top programs in the country? Check. Proved himself since his freshman year? Check.
He is also listed at a 150 lbs. Not saying this kid is going to be a bust, but at under 6' and 150 lbs., I would have some serious reservations about his ability to handle the pounding on a major college level.

3kgthog

To save our program some NCAA dirty looks that we don't need I'd say stay away from any player in Memphis. You get involved in that FedEx intern factory and you are asking for the eventual hammer to your program. Maybe not in the next few years, but 6, 7, 8 years down the road the turd is going to hit the fan.

The Hogfather

THIS!  I want TALL GUARDS!

Marc Maggard

There is nearly no chance that Arkansas or any other team besides Memphis gets Joe Jackson.  I've spoken to him 10 times this summer and he tells me every time that he is almost certainly going to Memphis.  Something huge would have to happen for him to not go to Memphis.

mm

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: rude1 on January 28, 2009, 06:15:31 pm
He is also listed at a 150 lbs. Not saying this kid is going to be a bust, but at under 6' and 150 lbs., I would have some serious reservations about his ability to handle the pounding on a major college level.
Mike Conley, the starting PG for the Grizzlies, is 6'1" and 160. He took it at Ohio State and has taken it in the NBA for a year and a half. If he can, so can Joe Jackson.

chiefsfan

You can never beat the Fed Ex Internship program.  You can only hope to contain it,  or blow the whistle to the NCAA, whichever comes first
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

hawgsav1

6-0 guards can make it to the NBA if they learn how to have handles.  Yes everyone wants taller guards, but there are plenty of examples of smaller guards who have done quite well in the NBA. 
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

adavis517

calipari would only sign a one year contract last year maybe he wont even be there.

HawgnCorona

hey, thats great if we can get him.nothing wrong with that...but we do need some height at our guard positions.

A fair question would be whats the priority at the PG position as far height? do we need a do it all PG under 6ft or an over 6'4" PG that can do it all, along with being a good flr leader,defending the 3pt line etc, etc, etc...im just sayin'.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

HawgnCorona

Quote from: hawgsav1 on January 28, 2009, 11:12:22 pm
6-0 guards can make it to the NBA if they learn how to have handles.  Yes everyone wants taller guards, but there are plenty of examples of smaller guards who have done quite well in the NBA. 

yep, true story...
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

Brass Knob

Quote from: rude1 on January 28, 2009, 06:15:31 pm

haha.... Are you guys serious?  At what point this year did Arkansas get so good that they have started having the luxury of picking and choosing what 5* players they will bring in?  Only a handful of programs can do that!  Arkansas will take any top 20 player they can get their hands on regardless of height and weight!  This is all for not though, Joe Jackson is going to stay home and play for Memphis!  BTW... I would say if he is good enough to play for Memphis he is good enough to play at Arkansas...

Brass Knob

What freshman point guard does Memphis have?  Evens?  If he stays, a big if, he will move to SG if they bring in a true PG.... A true PG is exactly what Memphis is lacking this year.

HognotinMemphis

Bump. Jackson still scoring 30+ every game. This kid is amazing. I see a need for him MORE THAN EVER. He will make Fortson look like a Div III player.

The Hogfather

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 08, 2009, 11:38:05 am
Bump. Jackson still scoring 30+ every game. This kid is amazing. I see a need for him MORE THAN EVER. He will make Fortson look like a Div III player.

No.  We need taller guards.

HognotinMemphis

The Hogfather

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 08, 2009, 11:55:09 am
Hahahahahaha. Tell that to Chris Paul, you fool.

I'm not saying he's not a good player, fool.  I'm saying this team doesn't need more 6'0" or under guards.  Period.  We need taller guards.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: The Hogfather on February 08, 2009, 11:56:59 am
I'm not saying he's not a good player, fool.  I'm saying this team doesn't need more 6'0" or under guards.  Period.  We need taller guards.
I don't care if Jackson is 5'11" OR 6'9"...the Hogs want him and need him in the worst kind of way. He is an assist and scoring machine. The Hogs need him now. Period.

jonesark™

hopefully playing time is high on his list!!

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 08, 2009, 12:55:47 pm
I don't care if Jackson is 5'11" OR 6'9"...the Hogs want him and need him in the worst kind of way. He is an assist and scoring machine. The Hogs need him now. Period.

Two words: Dejaun Wagner

Three more words: one and done

Seven words: Weak team perimeter defense due to length

One word: Needs
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

akp4105

Why all the hate on Fortson. He is the one of the best freshman PG's in the NCAA.. infact he's one of the best freshman in the nation period. Just because all he has around him is Mike Washington and a bunch of inconsistent offensive players does not mean he isnt one of the best PG's in the nation. He's a great player and will have a great career.

Smithian

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on February 08, 2009, 01:00:07 pm
Two words: Dejaun Wagner

Three more words: one and done

Seven words: Weak team perimeter defense due to length

One word: Needs
Dejuan Wagner had a funky illness or he would have been very good in the NBA. His first year in the NBA he average 13 points a game.

And, so what if he is one and done? We need something good to happen next year or we're gong to lose the in-state guys.

Do we even have a chance at this guy?

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Smithian on February 08, 2009, 01:12:23 pm
Dejuan Wagner had a funky illness or he would have been very good in the NBA. His first year in the NBA he average 13 points a game.

And, so what if he is one and done? We need something good to happen next year or we're gong to lose the in-state guys.

Do we even have a chance at this guy?

I'm not worried about what he did in the NBA. I was talking about his career at Memphis. He's another undersized SG that is labeled as a PG. We already have one of those in Clarke.

Don't hold your breath on Jackson. Pel has bigger needs than to sign another undersized chucking SG, who might be gone after one season.

We've got talent that just needs time to mature. No matter who we put in the backcourt, we need improvement in the frontcourt more than anything.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Hogbody

razorbackfan4life

Quote from: akp4105 on February 08, 2009, 01:00:27 pm
Why all the hate on Fortson. He is the one of the best freshman PG's in the NCAA.. infact he's one of the best freshman in the nation period. Just because all he has around him is Mike Washington and a bunch of inconsistent offensive players does not mean he isnt one of the best PG's in the nation. He's a great player and will have a great career.

I agree..  Courtney is a hell of a PG.  He does need work on his shot though.

rude1

Quote from: Brass Knob on January 29, 2009, 12:56:40 pm
haha.... Are you guys serious?  At what point this year did Arkansas get so good that they have started having the luxury of picking and choosing what 5* players they will bring in?  Only a handful of programs can do that!  Arkansas will take any top 20 player they can get their hands on regardless of height and weight!  This is all for not though, Joe Jackson is going to stay home and play for Memphis!  BTW... I would say if he is good enough to play for Memphis he is good enough to play at Arkansas...
Of course nobody is talking about not taking the kid, what I am speaking of is taking a kid that size and thinking he is going to be the savior of your program. How many teams in the current top 25 are lead by a player of this size? I haven't did the research, but none jumps off the top of my head.

Brass Knob

Quote from: rude1 on February 08, 2009, 06:07:10 pm
Of course nobody is talking about not taking the kid, what I am speaking of is taking a kid that size and thinking he is going to be the savior of your program. How many teams in the current top 25 are lead by a player of this size? I haven't did the research, but none jumps off the top of my head.

Ok.  I agree that I do not think he would be able to turn the team around by himself.  But Jackson would be a great get and is probably better than any current player, although I think Fortson is a very good PG.  Some teams I could think of with PG that are 6'0 or shorter are:
Ty Lawson          UNC             5'11
Levance Fields     Pitt              5'10
Kalin Lucas         Mich State     6'0
Steph Curry        Davidson
Patty Mills          St. Mary (I think)
All of Marquette is undersized..... That is all I can really think of but obviously most NCAA guards are 6'2 and taller but there are some great guards who are "undersized".  Regardless, I dont think it matters because he is almost definitely headed to Memphis.

akp4105

Quote from: Brass Knob on February 08, 2009, 07:05:00 pm
Ok.  I agree that I do not think he would be able to turn the team around by himself.  But Jackson would be a great get and is probably better than any current player, although I think Fortson is a very good PG.  Some teams I could think of with PG that are 6'0 or shorter are:
Ty Lawson          UNC             5'11
Levance Fields     Pitt              5'10
Kalin Lucas         Mich State     6'0
All of Marquette is undersized..... That is all I can really think of but obviously most NCAA guards are 6'2 and taller but there are some great guards who are "undersized".  Regardless, I dont think it matters because he is almost definitely headed to Memphis.

Curry is 6'3

Brass Knob

Quote from: akp4105 on February 08, 2009, 07:07:20 pm
Curry is 6'3

Really?  I didnt take the time to look him up but he always looked small... I guess its because he so skinny. 

Smithian

EDIT: Forgot he was a junior.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Brass Knob on February 08, 2009, 07:14:06 pm
Really?  I didnt take the time to look him up but he always looked small... I guess its because he so skinny. 

Mush like his little brother (at Liberty), they both had growth spurts in their late teens which kept better schools away.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Brass Knob on February 08, 2009, 07:05:00 pm
Ty Lawson          UNC             5'11
Levance Fields     Pitt              5'10
Kalin Lucas         Mich State     6'0

But, they don't have ALL OF THEIR GUARDS AT THAT SIZE.  We already have 4 guards that play the majority of our minutes, who all happen to be under 6'2".  If we didn't have Fortson, Clarke, and Welsh already, then I'd take this kid in a heartbeat.  I'd rather have Jeremy Adams because he can help create problems for opposing teams' shooters because of his height and he would probably be able to score just as much.

We need to get taller/bigger as a team, not smaller.  This guy is a great talent, but he doesn't fit our needs to become a much better team right now.

jkstock04

LOL...no way Pel can recruit this guy away from Memphis....no freakin way.  If Memphis wants him, thats where he's gonna go.  Besides, I would like to see us go after some proven athletic guys with some real size and physical dominance in the post...thats what we need mostly to stop all this bleeding.

Not to mention kids that can shoot free throws.  We haven't had that in years.  Do they even practice free throws in high school any more?
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

The Hogfather

Quote from: jkstock04 on February 08, 2009, 08:38:33 pm
LOL...no way Pel can recruit this guy away from Memphis....no freakin way.  If Memphis wants him, thats where he's gonna go.  Besides, I would like to see us go after some proven athletic guys with some real size and physical dominance in the post...thats what we need mostly to stop all this bleeding.

Not to mention kids that can shoot free throws.  We haven't had that in years.  Do they even practice free throws in high school any more?

My point is we should go after a guy like him in 2 years after we've stocked up on some tall, athletic guards and post players.  THEN, go after another 5'11" guard that takes 23 shots a game.