Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A-State focused on Offensive Line & Safety in Recruiting

Started by Seminole Indian, January 23, 2017, 07:18:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Seminole Indian

January 23, 2017, 07:18:33 am Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 07:41:43 am by Seminole Indian
With the recent commitments of Iowa State grad transfer Jaypee Philbert (6-5, 315), Nour-Eddine Seidnaly (6-5 ,305 JC) and Marcus Brown III (6-2, 340, 2nd team JC All-American) to go along with mid-term JC signee Chase Johnson (6-4, 290, Memphis bounce-back), shoring up the offensive line appears to be A-States top priority.

These recent OL commits, along with three freshmen OL commits, will join some players who sit out 2016 for various reasons: Lanard Bonner (6-5, 330, JC redshirt), Alex Knovak (6-4, 305,JC redshirt), Tyrell Reed (6-5, 330, RS transfer), Klint Harvey (6-6, 330, RS transfer), Allen Byrd(6-1, 300,JC Blue-shirt), Jacob Atnib (6-5, 325,RS Freshman) and Jacob Still (6-1, 285, RS Freshman).

All the newbies' will join 2016's young but promising backups: Troy Elliott (6-5.5, 295), Dalton Ford (6-4, 307), Cam Davis (6-4, 303) ,Jhamahl Bell ( 6-3, 295),and Jamal Fontenot (6-4, 302).

Elliot (who started one game), Ford( who can play several positions),  Davis, and Fontenot ( who was limited by preseason back problems), all saw limited  playing time in 2016, but face a stiff challenge beating out the influx of talented, older newbie's for a starting spot in 2016.

Other than the kicking game, the OL was probably the weakest performing  unit on the team, so change was coming regardless( A-State fans wanted a coaching change), and they at least appear to have the pieces to put together a much more  physically talented OL in 2017, than 2016.

At Safety, A-State picked up commitments from JC transfer Javon Burriss (6-2 185), and Michael Johnson (6-2, 185, former Louisville, and Oregon State commit) over the weekend. They will join JC commit Jeff Gibson 6-4, 195 (Clemson Bounce-back), and freshman commit Caleb Bonner (6-1, 190).

A-State only returns BJ Edmonds (6-0, 203), Ben Sukut (6-0 209, RS Freshman), and Mark Johnson (6-2, 183), at the position but only Edmonds has any meaningful pt.

Another priority was the defensive line but they do not have any players committed at this point.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Seminole Indian

January 24, 2017, 08:35:02 am #1 Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 08:51:04 am by Seminole Indian
One other thing that is obvious is that A-State is continuing to engage in what their HC calls "funky" recruiting, especially in addressing immediate needs, which makes it hard to evaluate their success without doing some digging.

To cut to the chase in describing their efforts in addressing this years big concerns (the OL and safety positions)- A-State will be able to field an OL 2-deep next year that will be comprised of players with more FBS offers individually, than all five of their 2016 starters combined, and most will have taken an unusual (funky) path to Jonesboro. 

Same at safety.

To make matters worse, look for them to continue to add players for 2017, even after fall camp starts.

Of course the big issue with this approach has been getting these players on the same page at the start of the season, as evident by their 1-3, and 0-4 starts in the last two seasons.

The good news of course is after a few games these players have gotten on the same page, and the other SBC teams have struggled to compete with their "talent".

Look for this trend to continue in 2017.

"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Seminole Indian

The bottom line for A-State is that they appear to have addressed the immediate needs in the OL and at safety, and if all their commits, mid-term signees, and the players sitting out, join the current players on the roster at those positions in the fall, both units will actually be more talented than in 2016.

They do need to add a quality player or two to the interior DL to improve the depth ( have a solid 2-deep already in place), and shore up the kicking game, but the other positions on the team should be stronger than 2016.

Seminole Indian

January 29, 2017, 12:44:32 pm #3 Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 02:40:47 pm by Seminole Indian
After entertaining a number of players this weekend, several that are committed to other schools, A-State enters the most entertaining (and nerve-racking for the coaches) part of their recruiting cycle-the last few days before signing day.

This is when the P5's, and handful of well heeled G5's with deep pockets, make their move on players committed to  G5 schools, especially the better G5's.

Anderson did say that they are again having to try and hold on to several committed players who are getting late offers from bigger schools.

They did lose an OL Commit to Wake Forest this week, but apparently have added a replacement OL this weekend, who has been shown as committed to Arkansas and then ULM.

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on January 29, 2017, 12:44:32 pm
After entertaining a number of players this weekend, several that are committed to other schools, A-State enters the most entertaining (and nerve-racking for the coaches) part of their recruiting cycle-the last few days before signing day.

This is when the P5's, and handful of well heeled G5's with deep pockets, make their move on players committed to  G5 schools, especially the better G5's.

Anderson did say that they are again having to try and hold on to several committed players who are getting the late offers from the bigger schools.

They did lose an OL Commit to Wake Forest this week, but apparently have added a replacement OL this weekend, who has been shown as committed to Arkansas and ULM at various points in the recruiting cycle.

Yeah, we moved on from him when he wouldn't take his academics seriously. I'm sure the Wolves will be happy on "stealing" a commit from us, haha.

Seminole Indian

January 29, 2017, 02:19:10 pm #5 Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 02:42:22 pm by Seminole Indian
No they stole one from ULM (modified my post to show that). That Arkansas liked him early does give them a better feel for what kind of a prospect he is.

Seminole Indian

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on January 29, 2017, 02:19:10 pm
No they stole one from ULM (modified my post to show that). That Arkansas liked him early does give them a better feel for what kind of a prospect he is.
Oh, I know all about him, he was committed for about a month or so to Arkansas, then moved on, lol.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Seminole Indian on January 29, 2017, 12:44:32 pm

Anderson did say that they are again having to try and hold on to several committed players who are getting late offers from bigger schools.

They did lose an OL Commit to Wake Forest this week, but apparently have added a replacement OL this weekend, who has been shown as committed to Arkansas and then ULM.

What does their "deep pockets" have to do with it? Are you saying the P5's and bigger G5 schools would have to pay an ASU commit for him to reneg on his promise to ASU and come to their schools? I would think the bigger name, So Cal, Bama or Ohio St for example, would be enough to entice the kid to turn his back on ASU.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: GolfNut57 on January 29, 2017, 04:31:53 pm
What does their "deep pockets" have to do with it? Are you saying the P5's and bigger G5 schools would have to pay an ASU commit for him to reneg on his promise to ASU and come to their schools? I would think the bigger name, So Cal, Bama or Ohio St for example, would be enough to entice the kid to turn his back on ASU.
Sorry for the confusion, I meant those few P5s with the facilities and support that are close to P5 Standards.

Those names you mentioned are normally enough to entice a kid to turn his back on the Razorbacks much less ASU.

As far as the P5's I was thinking of the schools like  Purdue, Kentucky, Wake Forest, Vanderbilt, Arizona State, Arizona, Colorado, Louisville, Miami and others that I cannot remember off the top of my head, who their coach mentioned as having come in with late offers in their recruiting roundup. Some were successful, some were not.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: ricepig on January 29, 2017, 01:59:33 pm
Yeah, we moved on from him when he wouldn't take his academics seriously. I'm sure the Wolves will be happy on "stealing" a commit from us, haha.
I did not remember him at all.

ricepig

Seminole Indian

January 30, 2017, 07:29:05 am #12 Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 08:35:00 am by Seminole Indian
I really was not that interested in his history with the Razorbacks, and only mentioned it because it was mentioned on the site where I first saw he committed to A-State.

I figured some Razorback fans might have remembered him and wondered what happened to him.

He popped up on the 247 Commit List for 2017 yesterday, and I've linked to the recruiting timeline they are showing, that excludes his commitment to ULM.

Included in this timeline was this about his decommit from the Razorback-"Fisher was scheduled to be among the recruits at the Red-White game on Saturday, April 23, but wasn't able to make it to Fayetteville. Fisher said in his tweet the Razorbacks are still in the Top 10, but that he wants to take his other visits. Arkansas Coach Bret Bielema has generally opposed committed prospects taking other visits. Fisher was being recruited by Michael Smith and Kurt Anderson for the Razorbacks."

I would probably say ricepig is a more credible source  about the real scoop than these sites.

http://247sports.com/Player/Dwayne-Fisher-81945/TimelineEvents

He is just the latest in a number of very good OL prospects that are committed to the Redwolves, came on board at mid-term or were already on the roster after sitting out 2016. You are going to be really impressed in the upgrade in talent on their OL in 2017.

Seminole Indian

February 01, 2017, 10:02:28 am #13 Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 02:22:07 pm by Seminole Indian
Looks like they did what they had to do to address their immediate needs on the OL, DL and safety, and as a result have put themselves into position to repeat as SBC Champ in 2017.

Looks like they only lost one player they had committed, a very good JC safety, but picked up a Boise bounce-back at that position.

Held off Arizona State, TCU, and Penn State  for a JC DL they really, really needed for depth.

Seminole Indian

February 01, 2017, 10:11:20 am #14 Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 01:16:43 pm by Seminole Indian
Quote from: ricepig on January 29, 2017, 03:04:46 pm
Oh, I know all about him, he was committed for about a month or so to Arkansas, then moved on, lol.
The "insider" scoop is that the Razorbacks made another run at him this week with an offer, supposedly to play on the DL. He wants to play on the OL.

Ricepig-what's the real scoop?

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on February 01, 2017, 10:11:20 am
The "insider" scoop is that the Razorbacks made another run at him this week with an offer, supposedly to play on the DL. He wants to play on the OL.

Ricepig-what's the real scoop?

I never heard of him being mentioned by anyone since his offer was pulled for academics.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: ricepig on February 01, 2017, 04:57:14 pm
I never heard of him being mentioned by anyone since his offer was pulled for academics.
Me either, thanks.

Could be wrong but I really don't ever expect to see him on their roster. Most likely headed to JC.

Seminole Indian

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on February 01, 2017, 07:06:13 pm
The Razorbacks offered him Monday.

Umm......well this is the only place I've read that. I follow and read several recruiting guys, and I didn't see that anywhere, haha.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: ricepig on February 01, 2017, 07:18:22 pm
Umm......well this is the only place I've read that. I follow and read several recruiting guys, and I didn't see that anywhere, haha.

Apparently their HC was discussing the late offers some of their players got in their recruiting roundup, and said he got the offer Monday. Has apparently repeated it when asked directly, and did mention the fact they had been on him before.

The video of their recruiting roundup is on their Athletic site, but I did not watch it.

Their fans are also posting that he is now "OK" as far as academics.

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on February 01, 2017, 07:59:28 pm
Apparently their HC was discussing the late offers some of their players got in their recruiting roundup, and said he got the offer Monday. Has apparently repeated it when asked directly, and did mention the fact they had been on him before.

The video of their recruiting roundup is on their Athletic site, but I did not watch it.

Their fans are also posting that he is now "OK" as far as academics.

Well, I asked a recruiting writer a little while ago and he said Fisher called Arkansas on Monday offering to play DT, haha. It doesn't matter anymore, hopefully he qualifies and does well.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: ricepig on February 01, 2017, 08:33:22 pm
Well, I asked a recruiting writer a little while ago and he said Fisher called Arkansas on Monday offering to play DT, haha. It doesn't matter anymore, hopefully he qualifies and does well.
Thanks for checking.