Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Red Wolves vs the Gophers in basketball

Started by GolfNut57, December 23, 2016, 09:05:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GolfNut57

ASU loses 82-75 to the Gophers in Friday night action. A lot closer than I thought it would be. The ASU mens basketball team just might be pretty darn good this year.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

holeinthewall

Quote from: GolfNut57 on December 23, 2016, 09:05:44 pm
ASU loses 82-75 to the Gophers in Friday night action. A lot closer than I thought it would be. The ASU mens basketball team just might be pretty darn good this year.

Problem is gonna be the Sun Belt other than Texas -Arlington all have low RPI. ASU needed a top 50  win against TCU or Minnesota to really solidify any chance at an at large bid.  ASU will need to be almost perfect in Sun Belt play to have any shot at an at large if they don't win the Sun belt.

GolfNut57

Quote from: holeinthewall on December 24, 2016, 04:47:06 am
Problem is gonna be the Sun Belt other than Texas -Arlington all have low RPI. ASU needed a top 50  win against TCU or Minnesota to really solidify any chance at an at large bid.  ASU will need to be almost perfect in Sun Belt play to have any shot at an at large if they don't win the Sun belt.

It is a rare year when the Sunbelt gets more than just the auto qualifying team into the NCAA Tourney. I don't expect this year to be any different. I don't care how many wins any Sunbelt team has, if they don't win at least 25 games the Sunbelt will only be sending its post season tourney winner to the NCAA tourney. Believe the regular season winner might still go to the NIT should they lose in the Sunbelt post season playoffs. It sucks that many years a team in the Belt deserving of an at-large bid stays home but it is what it is. The Sunbelt just doesn't get the respect from the NCAA selection committee.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

GolfNut57

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 24, 2016, 07:55:21 am
Add Georgia State to UT Arlington as teams having a decent (or better) RPI but after that, Holeinthewall is spot on about the Sun Belt.  Check out Arkansas State's RPI profile on ESPN and look at the RPI numbers for all conference opponents. 

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/rpi/_/sort/RPI/teamId/2032

Nice informative link. Thanks.