Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ASU

Started by welchog, September 03, 2016, 07:02:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

welchog

Got Toledo'd 31-10.

asuato

Yeah we did. No excuses, they were bigger, huge in the O-line, and better.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: asuato on September 03, 2016, 03:13:59 pm
Yeah we did. No excuses, they were bigger, huge in the O-line, and better.
Yes, but you had the more talented team, and that is a big reason you were a 4+ point favored by those that bet real money, forget what message board posters think. 

Really not sure what the problem was Friday, but it was not being out talented, that is pure BS. Should have beaten Toledo.

Don't know why teams you totally out talent in SBC play, can preform better  in OC games (even against SEC teams),and Bowl games than A-State can under Anderson  & Company, but it is not because they don't have the talent.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

j-mann

it comes down to anderson  is just a good recruiter     A-St had 3 great hires  in a row if Anderson does not win by 2017  he will be Steve Roberts by 2020   
calling the hogs from Jonesboro    i have  cerebral  palsy  Rheumatoid arthritis   and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome   i cannot space  well  or spell well   but i still  love the hogs

Seminole Indian

As far as coaching, I think they win the games they do based more on talent than coaching, but that is true at most places.  Anderson has only been a HC for a little over two years, so too early to tell if he will, or will not  become a great coach.

They are in fact good recruiters, and this A-State team is loaded with talent, and as long as they win conference championships they are probably good.

Like many of these current SBC with a lot less talent than A-State, a Steve Roberts coached teams could go out and beat a Texas A&M, or hang close with a ranked P5 like Texas or a Iowa, but then fall on their face against SBC competition.

"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

GolfNut57

The offensive coordinator blew that game for ASU with his dumb play calling.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Dropkick

Quote from: GolfNut57 on September 05, 2016, 08:17:48 pm
I agree, very poor.

Seminole Indian

Dropkick

I look for a more spirited effort against Auburn. It may not be enough but I think they show up and give a respectable performance.

Seminole Indian

They have the talent, I promise you that.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Seminole Indian on September 05, 2016, 09:14:56 pm

without points on the board talent don't mean crap! That is like a pitcher that can throw 100 mph but can't throw strikes.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Seminole Indian

Did not catch the game so I really don't know what happened,but whatever it was it was bad.

HogCzar1

Quote from: GolfNut57 on September 05, 2016, 08:17:48 pm

Must have watched a different game than me.

The game I saw featured Toledo gaining about 550 on offense against a defense that was said to be one of the most talented in the nation according to top ASU supporters.

What I also saw were 2 Quarterbacks for ASU who were not ready to throw the ball down the field.

The ASU OC has his share of blame, but by no means was he alone.

Seminole Indian

September 06, 2016, 02:29:34 pm #13 Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 06:12:05 pm by Seminole Indian
That game simply does not make since.

They are without a doubt the most talented team in the SBC (more all SBC players than any SBC team) and among the most talented in G5's on both sides of the ball, and were last year when they started out 1-3 for the year. They return almost everyone and have added a lot of 3-4 star types to boot.

That tends to point toward a coaching issue IMO, but did read where they had eight plays early on where their center did not snap the ball cleanly to the QB resulting in a busted play, plus  about five dropped passes, and they did not give the ball to a RB until the 2nd quarter. That will normally get you beat even against a bad team and Toledo is not a bad team. Hard to say if it is is coaching or not.

Back to the center/QB exchange, which their HC seems to think was the biggest reason they let the game get away from them in the 2nd qtr.  IMO not getting the ball to the QB 2-3 times is probably a player/ execution issue, but eight times is a coaching issue, because at the very least they should have sit him down.  As I understand it, they did not remove him until their guard got hurt and moved him there, and brought the backup center in.

I find it inconceivable that a senior center on the Remington watch list could do that 8 times in one game unless he wanted to, so maybe they need to ask him what his beef is. Maybe he wants to play guard, not center.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: HogCzar1 on September 06, 2016, 09:21:20 am
Must have watched a different game than me.

The game I saw featured Toledo gaining about 550 on offense against a defense that was said to be one of the most talented in the nation according to top ASU supporters.

What I also saw were 2 Quarterbacks for ASU who were not ready to throw the ball down the field.

The ASU OC has his share of blame, but by no means was he alone.
As far as that 550, their HC said about 180 came after a missed tackles. Their fans concur but say the root cause for many missed tackles was players trying to strip the ball, and get that turnover belt. They went in wanting to contain their running game,and other than a 40 yr run  because of a missed assignment did.

As far as his other excuses about breaking in a lot of new players that is probably true to a degree on offense except most that watched the game attribute most of the problems to the old, not new players. Especially their starting center, who was apparently a one man wrecking crew, with them on the receiving end.

No one is giving their OC, or OL coaches much slack, and their HC apparently does not listen.

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on September 06, 2016, 06:08:23 pm
As far as that 550, their HC said about 180 came after a missed tackles. Their fans concur but say the root cause for many missed tackles was players trying to strip the ball, and get that turnover belt. They went in wanting to contain their running game,and other than a 40 yr run  because of a missed assignment did.

As far as his other excuses about breaking in a lot of new players that is probably true to a degree on offense except most that watched the game attribute most of the problems to the old, not new players. Especially their starting center, who was apparently a one man wrecking crew, with them on the receiving end.

No one is giving their OC, or OL coaches much slack, and their HC apparently does not listen.

Getting your info off of message boards can lead you astray, but if you don't watch it yourself, you have to rely on some jackwagon's opinion, lol.

Seminole Indian

September 06, 2016, 06:26:40 pm #16 Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 06:44:37 pm by Seminole Indian
Quote from: ricepig on September 06, 2016, 06:14:09 pm
Getting your info off of message boards can lead you astray, but if you don't watch it yourself, you have to rely on some jackwagon's opinion, lol.
Well in the talent department the company that I contracted with (I just retired last week, and coaches pay them not the other way around when it comes to evaluating talent, and pay dearly I might add), are my source, and are the gold standard. A-State could not began to afford them.

Beyond that I know squat, so I am very vulnerable too being duped, but I really don't care. What a coach does with the talent they have is not my concern, and I don't evaluate talent, just verify where it is at, and what it is up to.

I also used newspapers, radio, TV, official sites, etc. but that was just to monitor who is on a teams roster, and any "issues", for the schools assigned to me. None of it means anything to me. I was selected to be a "domain expert" as far as A-State but it was a part-time job, nothing else.

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on September 06, 2016, 06:26:40 pm
Well in the talent department the company that I contracted with (I just retired last week, and coaches pay them not the other way around when it comes to evaluating talent, and pay dearly I might add), are my source, and are the gold standard. A-State could not began to afford them.

Beyond that I know squat, so I am very vulnerable too being duped, but I really don't care. What a coach does with the talent they have is not my concern, and I don't evaluate talent, just verify where it is at, and what it is up to.

I also used newspapers, radio, TV, official sites, etc. but that was just to monitor who is on a teams roster, and any "issues", for the schools assigned to me. None of it means anything to me. I was selected to be a "domain expert" as far as A-State but it was a part-time job, nothing else.

I said nothing about talent/recruiting, I was talking about the game....not recruiting......but the game.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: ricepig on September 06, 2016, 07:10:11 pm
I said nothing about talent/recruiting, I was talking about the game....not recruiting......but the game.
Right but I've responded to the first two post here that were about talent(the OL) and coaching( recruiter or coach).

I chimed in with my 2 cents about A-State having enough talent, and kinda pointed to coaching as the issue.

Just pointing out to you i don't rely on message boards, coaches, or anyone when it comes to what "talent" is on a team, which is all i know anything about, and use multiple sources for everything else (mostly their official site on this game).

I do enjoy reading what posters here and on their message board that actually watched the game think about what they saw, because I did not watch a second of their game.

Seminole Indian

September 06, 2016, 08:17:37 pm #19 Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 08:30:26 pm by Seminole Indian
What I would focus on if I were Anderson is finding out why my senior the remington watch center snapped the ball so my QB could not execute the play on eight plays, because that could not happen by accident, per my former boss, who keeps up with these things, or at least their clients do.

ricepig

Seminole Indian

Quote from: ricepig on September 08, 2016, 05:15:57 pm
They might focus on better security for the visitors locker room.

http://m.arkansasonline.com/news/2016/sep/08/thieves-steal-more-2100-property-toledo-players-vi/
Obviously the culprit is their center, because he sure as hell was not on the field. Must if been a stand-in that looked like him,but had never played a "snap" of college football.

See......case solved.

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on September 08, 2016, 06:00:01 pm
Obviously the culprit is their center, because he sure as hell was not on the field. Must if been a stand-in that looked like him,but had never played a "snap" of college football.

See......case solved.

Mystery solved.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Seminole Indian on September 05, 2016, 09:14:56 pm

IF you are such a good talent evaluator you should be working for an NFL team drafting players..........................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Seminole Indian

September 10, 2016, 10:21:14 am #24 Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 10:36:21 am by Seminole Indian
Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 10, 2016, 09:35:48 am
IF you are such a good talent evaluator you should be working for an NFL team drafting players..........................
I'm not the company I was contracted with is? They all look great to me.

Fact is there are normally less than 500 players coming out of HS every year that everyone agrees are can't miss, and most of them miss.

After that there are around 2500 players where your coaches guess is probably as good as the next, because player development is the key. Of course it helps to have some of those "can't miss" types on the roster.

Seminole Indian

September 12, 2016, 12:29:43 pm #25 Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 07:10:09 am by Seminole Indian
Listened to Anderson's weekly press conference on their official site, and as expected there were lots of questions, but to cut to the chase he thinks they will match up better starting this week, and going forward.

Did not match-up well against Toledo or Auburn, but sees the Utah State game as an even match-up across the board.

Did say he thought their OL played pretty good against Auburn, and they will not face that caliber of DL again this year.

Said Toledo, and Auburn threw a lot of new stuff at their defense that they had not prepared for, and they never really got a handle on either. Thinks that will not be the case in the games going forward.

Not sure they could have beaten either even if they had played well, which they did not.

Said their starting QB, Chad Voytik, started to get more comfortable in the 2nd half of the Auburn game, and his backup, Justice Hansen, looked comfortable when he was in the game late. Neither had looked comfortable against Toledo..

DeltaBoy

I was not expecting Tigger2 to drill them like they did.  Good Luck next game Running Joe.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Seminole Indian

Probably a little more lopsided than expected, but not sure how good/bad Auburn is, or Toledo or A-State for that matter. Just know Auburn and Toledo are a lot better than A-State right now.

Here is a link to "The 5th Quarter with Coach Anderson"  on AStateNation.com.

"We're excited about the fact that our athletic ability is going to start giving us more chances moving forward so we need to utilize those talents and exploit them on game day. "

I think their fans would certainly agree, and hope so.

http://www.scout.com/college/arkansas-state/story/1705839-5th-quarter-auburn

Seminole Indian

September 13, 2016, 07:42:06 am #28 Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 07:59:20 am by Seminole Indian
Listened to the Monday practice report by Anderson on A-StateNation.com, and he said they had a very good practice.

He noted that they should get back Johnston White for Friday's game at RB, but it looks more and more like Warren Wand will be the featured back going forward.

Also getting backup QB D.J. Pierson and TE Jonah Hill back from 2 game suspensions.

DT Robert Mondie should be ready Friday.

Getting White, Mondie, and Hill back would be a big plus.

Bottom line is that while most of the teams they play from here on out are playing better, they have a talent advantage over all of them( not sure about Toledo's talent compared to their's, just that it was better prepared to play, and very few teams match Auburn in the talent department), and their coaches and players know it. Will be interesting to look back and see if they can take advantage of their talent advantage over the course of the remainder of the season, like they did last year. You get the feeling their HC thinks they will.

Seminole Indian

Wish I could get a glimpse of the Utah St game on replay. How in the world could a team get that many penalties? Did a brawl break out?

Anyway a good match up with UCA is next, and while A-State has a talent advantage in this, and every other game left on their schedule(just like they did against Utah St), who knows.

Should be a fun game to watch, so enjoy.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Seminole Indian on September 18, 2016, 05:25:44 pm
Wish I could get a glimpse of the Utah St game on replay. How in the world could a team get that many penalties? Did a brawl break out?

Because several "me first" jerks on the team thought it would be more cool to play like thugs instead of putting the team first.

Seminole Indian

September 19, 2016, 07:17:48 am #31 Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 07:45:04 am by Seminole Indian
Quote from: GolfNut57 on September 18, 2016, 11:34:05 pm
Because several "me first" jerks on the team thought it would be more cool to play like thugs instead of putting the team first.
Looks like an across the board coaching issue to me.

Anderson pointed to eight bad snaps by their center ( along with five dropped passes I think) as being the big reason they did not keep pace early against Toledo. Of course it is inconceivable to me that a coach would ever admit he allow a player to stay on the field with 2-3 bad snaps much less eight.

I was told yesterday that they might have won the game Friday, except an an offensive lineman who had jumped off sides a couple of times earlier in the game, jumped off side when they were on like the 1/2 yard line, and they settled for a FG. A TD would have pulled them within 3 and they had all the momentum.

My question is, do the coaches ever sit players down?

Was also told Anderson was quoted  after the game as saying he overheard the players discussing among themselves the need to  "play between the whistles" , and walk away from anything else.

Think a coach might mention that to them, and again do they ever sit players down?

Sorry, it looks like an across the board coaching issue to me, and someone needs to sit their HC down and have a heart to heart.

Seminole Indian

Got this link to a Utah St message board on AStateNation.com, and A-State fans for the most part agree with these posters, and all agree it probably cost them the game.

"The officials should have gotten more involved as the first bits of chippy behavior occurred. I'm surprised the teams even shook hands at the end of the game and in the second half I was waiting for a major fight to break out. Arkansas State was very undisciplined and it may have cost them the game as I believe they really lost it in the first half."

"ASU is the dirtiest, least-disciplined team that I have ever seen. Even worse than BYU. I hope those guys go 0-12. I am proud that our guys never lost their heads."

"Yeah no discipline at all from the coaches and even worse, then seemed to encourage their behavior."

"Haven't seen such a collection of classless, pre-Madonna punks since the last time we play NMSU in basketball.
I too hope they go 0-12."

"Under normal conditions, I think USU would have taken a knee those last few seconds. Scoring that last TD was the Aggies way of payback."

http://www.usufans.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=41754&sid=bf5216035785944ba2082a627d2cc51f

Still looks like an across the board coaching issue to me, and hopefully their coaches will let a few sit out the UCA game.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Seminole Indian on September 19, 2016, 07:43:07 am
Got this link to a Utah St message board on AStateNation.com, and A-State fans for the most part agree with these posters, and all agree it probably cost them the game.

"The officials should have gotten more involved as the first bits of chippy behavior occurred. I'm surprised the teams even shook hands at the end of the game and in the second half I was waiting for a major fight to break out. Arkansas State was very undisciplined and it may have cost them the game as I believe they really lost it in the first half."

"ASU is the dirtiest, least-disciplined team that I have ever seen. Even worse than BYU. I hope those guys go 0-12. I am proud that our guys never lost their heads."

"Yeah no discipline at all from the coaches and even worse, then seemed to encourage their behavior."

"Haven't seen such a collection of classless, pre-Madonna punks since the last time we play NMSU in basketball.
I too hope they go 0-12."

"Under normal conditions, I think USU would have taken a knee those last few seconds. Scoring that last TD was the Aggies way of payback."

http://www.usufans.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=41754&sid=bf5216035785944ba2082a627d2cc51f

Still looks like an across the board coaching issue to me, and hopefully their coaches will let a few sit out the UCA game.
ASU has players on the roster older than Madonna?

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on September 19, 2016, 09:34:37 am
ASU has players on the roster older than Madonna?
Got one almost thirty, but no.

Back to  the penalties, A-States HC said that there were 17 penalties not called by the MWC refs in that game.

That aside he pretty shifted the blame from undisciplined play to his his starting QB, who had a couple of costly turnovers early, and resulted in him being benched.

At least we know they will sit a players down.

Dropkick

Lack of discipline. It's not a new thing, maybe Trooper is in charge of it.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Dropkick on September 19, 2016, 04:50:22 pm
Lack of discipline. It's not a new thing, maybe Trooper is in charge of it.
I don't think any coach is in charge and they have delegated everything to he players.

While I can't deny they have been playing better since the 1st half of the Auburn game, they should have beaten Utah State regardless. Wish I could see that game.

Seminole Indian

Totally threw Chad Voytik under the bus in today's Jonesboro Sun. Anderson said regarding the QB competition, "...so it's taken us three weeks to find out. Unfortunately we've done it at the expense of three loses maybe."

Dropkick

Quote from: Seminole Indian on September 20, 2016, 06:29:23 am
Totally threw Chad Voytik under the bus in today's Jonesboro Sun. Anderson said regarding the QB competition, "...so it's taken us three weeks to find out. Unfortunately we've done it at the expense of three loses maybe."

Don't know about USU but the other 2 were just better teams regardless of QB

Seminole Indian

September 20, 2016, 04:38:20 pm #39 Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 08:46:23 pm by Seminole Indian
Quote from: Dropkick on September 20, 2016, 12:17:16 pm
Don't know about USU but the other 2 were just better teams regardless of QB

They are in fact better than Utah St, and even spotting them those two scores because of Voytik's miscues, and a record number of penalties to boot, they still should have won. In hindsight they should have gone with Justice Hansen at the start of the Utah St game.

A-State simply has not been able to get their running game going this year( White missed 2 games and losing Armond Weh Weh for the year hurt big-time) and IMO that took away lot of what Voytik brought to the table. Just bad luck, nobody's fault, just football.

Seminole Indian

September 20, 2016, 07:11:13 pm #40 Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 08:46:55 pm by Seminole Indian
I will add that without a strong running game going with Justice Hansen makes since because he went through spring practice ( I thought he looked every bit  a 4-star when I saw him play), and Voytik did not. Sure there will be bumps in the road but that's also football, and Hansen will be back.

No fault of Voytik , Hansen is just further along in the passing game, and with the running game suspect, and talent galore at the receivers why not.