Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Practice updates (Arkansas college or university without a pig as their mascot).

Started by Seminole Indian, August 05, 2016, 07:39:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Seminole Indian

A-State coaches said their defense, especially cb Blaise Taylor, satisfies Cody Brown,,Allen Sentimore and Chris Humes and receivers looked very  good, and Texas transfer Kendall Sanders looked best of all and made spectacular plays all trough practice.

Returning DL starter Robert Mondie, recently given a 6th year by ncaa, and who did not go through spring is in much better shape than expected, but can't tell much about DT's and OL's without pads.

Returning RB's Warren Wand, Johnston White, and JV transfer Armond Weh Weh looked good.

Better practice than yesterday..not as hot.

"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Seminole Indian

"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

ricepig

Seminole Indian

Seminole Indian

On lighter side video of 340+ lb Pre-Season All-SBC  DT Waylon Robertson intercepting a pass and running it in for tb in practice with a little help from his friends on the defense.

https://vimeo.com/177929804?ref=tw-share

Seminole Indian

Word is they were very "chippy" ( I think that is the word they are using) in the first day in pads today at A-State, which is their head coaches way of saying they were overly aggressive.

Here Texas transfer Kendall Sanders #4, and All-SBC Safety Cody Brown #21 get "chippy" with each other.

https://vimeo.com/178080796

Seminole Indian

Things seem to be progressing nicely this fall at A-State, and the consensus is that the team is noticeably more talented, and further along than last year.

The QB race is still neck and neck, which probably is a plus for Pitt transfer Chad Voytik ( who did not go through spring practice), but all the QB's are looking good and RS-Freshman D.J. Pearson, is not far behind the top two.

Defense has looked very strong , especially the front four (where they are probably 3-4 deep), linebacker, and safety. Only, one spot has been settled ( pre-season 1st team all-sbc Waylon Robertson is a lock at NG), so the competition has been very good. Some concern with depth at corner.

On offense the OL( where all 5 starters return, and three are pre-season all-SBC) continues to be dogged by injuries, and have struggled against their defensive front. Developing quality depth is a major focus.

The skill positions looked exceptionally strong during spring practice and that continues to be the case this fall. Transfer's like  WR Kendall Sanders (6, 186, 4.3), and JC transfer RB Armond Weh Weh (5-11, 225, 4.4) have now joined the fray, and are impressing the coaches, and should be major contributors in 2016.

What can you, say they look like what they are, a good football team.

Seminole Indian

A-State held their 1st scrimmage today, and all reports indicate it was a pretty good outing.

"We did some good and bad things on both sides of the ball," said A-State head coach Blake Anderson.  "Offensively, we controlled the ball pretty well with the exception of one interception.  We didn't have nearly the number of big plays – explosive plays – we are capable of having."

http://www.astateredwolves.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7200&ATCLID=211120398

In an all transfer play Chad Voytik (Pitt), almost connected for 58 yards with former Razorback Kendrick Edwards II (6-5, 212), who was covered by Miami transfer Marques Gayot (6-1, 214).

https://twitter.com/codydoessports/status/764546740556935168

No real separation at the QB position, and both their HC and OC seem to like what they are seeing at that position. A consensus is growing that A-State can't go wrong with Chad Voytik, Justice Hansen, or D.J. Pearson for that matter. All are very talented, and are playing well.

On a bad note Jr TE Warren Leapheart, who was a strong candidate to start, suffered what might be a serious injury, that their HC  called a "potential Achilles-type situation."

Seminole Indian

Not much on how it is going at the other Arkansas schools other than the UCA HC is somewhat pleased with his talented teams progress after their 2nd scrimmage Saturday.

"You're never where you want to be, and that's a good thing,' said Campbell. "This year we're not there yet, which will keep us fighting, scratching, clawing to Week 1. Because we're not there yet. There are a lot of good things, a lot of positives. I'm very pleased with a lot of things. But then there are some things that you know you got to get a lot better at. And I'm glad we still have the time to do it. We need every day."

http://www.ucasports.com/news/2016/8/13/football-campbells-bears-run-through-second-scrimmage.aspx

Like A-State UCA is absolutely loaded at all the skill positions going into 2016.

Seminole Indian

UAPB HC also pleased, but not a lot of detail.

"Preseason camp is going real good for us right now.  The number one objective right now is to stay healthy.  We have been playing with a lot of enthusiasm on defensive side of the ball, we are running to the football with 11 eleven guys on the field," Head Football Coach Monte Coleman said.

http://www.uapblionsroar.com/news/2016/8/8/football-uapb-gridders-complete-fourth-day-of-preseason-camp.aspx?path=football

Seminole Indian

Looking ahead to their last week of fall camp A-State coaches are conceding that this years team is further along than their previous two teams, and attributes that to having a large senior class that is fully involved.

They are especially pleased with the defense, especially the front four, which has dominated fall camp, and  where they are 4-deep at each position.

In today's edition of the Jonesboro SUN, their new OC Buster Faulkner confirmed what everyone that has seen the team this fall have been saying, " I don't know if we'll play a defensive line that's as physically imposing, except for maybe one opponent. That D-line is a legitimate defensive front," and "we've got a great secondary. great linebackers and an extremely well-coached defense that has played a lot of football together. They are very physical, they run to the ball. That is only going to make us (offense) better."

Just how physical their defense is was noted by their HC in the same article who when asked which defensive players stood out said it was hard to tell because he was busy "trying to protect the quarterbacks".

Have a feeling protecting their QB's is going to be job #1 for a lot of their opponents OC's this fall.

Even with one of the best OL's in G5, the front four on defense have simply overwhelmed their OL all spring and thus far this fall. This is a far cry from two years ago when their DC said they could not stop a "hard charging marching band". Their 4th team front four this year are better than their starters were two years ago.........a lot better.

Seminole Indian

Not a lot out of A-State, other than the coaches seem to to be leaning toward using both Chad Voytik, and Justice Hansen at QB. Both are playing very well, as is RS-Freshman D.J. Pearson. Think they can win with all three.

Because this team is so much further along than their first two teams, ( was reported that their HC said they have not taken a step backwards in any practice, and are further along than "any" team he has been involved with) the coaches have really been focusing on getting/staying healthy, and getting the younger players ready.

Will hold a fan appreciation scrimmage Saturday at 6:00 pm, and start preparation for Toledo on Wednesday.

Seminole Indian

Listening to part of AStateNation radio it appears tomorrow's A-State scrimmage has been scaled back, and is more for show than a spot in the 2-deep, so fall practices is over, and on to Toledo.

Looks like a two QB rotation is on tap for 2016, at least to start. 

IMO when A-State fan see both, they will understand why the coaches could not pick one. They are both a cut above, and their #3 could start for many, maybe most G5's, and a lot of P5's as a RS-Freshman.

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on August 19, 2016, 06:57:48 pm
Listening to part of AStateNation radio it appears tomorrow's A-State scrimmage has been scaled back, and is more for show than a spot in the 2-deep, so fall practices is over, and on to Toledo.

Looks like a two QB rotation is on tap for 2016, at least to start. 

IMO when A-State fan see both, they will understand why the coaches could not pick one. They are both a cut above, and their #3 could start for many, maybe most G5's, and a lot of P5's as a RS-Freshman.

What flavor is that koolaid, lol.......

Seminole Indian

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on August 19, 2016, 09:06:06 pm
You know Ricepig, I've never really drank any so I don't know.

You're full of something if their #3 would start at P5's and is a #3, lol.

Seminole Indian

ricepig

HogCzar1

Quote from: Seminole Indian on August 19, 2016, 09:17:54 pm
It ain't koolaid,

No, there are 2 four star QB's battling it out. ASU is so deep that injuries are really not a serious concern. I'm sure, as the moderator said, that most schools in the SEC and Big 10 wish they had the 3rd string ASU QB as their starter for this fall.

Also, as I mentioned earlier in the summer, the ASU AD is preparing the ASU presentation for the Big 12. It is supposed to be 2 hours long. There is a cautious sense of optimism among the ASU leaders. There is no current movement for ASU to join anything other than the Big 12.

ASU should not have a competitive game on their schedule. Their talent level is that far above everyone. The biggest challenge they will face is playing down to a lower level of competition. Their coaching staff will have to keep them interested, which they will.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: HogCzar1 on August 19, 2016, 11:32:23 pm
No, there are 2 four star QB's battling it out. ASU is so deep that injuries are really not a serious concern. I'm sure, as the moderator said, that most schools in the SEC and Big 10 wish they had the 3rd string ASU QB as their starter for this fall.

Also, as I mentioned earlier in the summer, the ASU AD is preparing the ASU presentation for the Big 12. It is supposed to be 2 hours long. There is a cautious sense of optimism among the ASU leaders. There is no current movement for ASU to join anything other than the Big 12.

ASU should not have a competitive game on their schedule. Their talent level is that far above everyone. The biggest challenge they will face is playing down to a lower level of competition. Their coaching staff will have to keep them interested, which they will.
Actually the moderator said nothing of the kind, and because I have them finishing with 9 wins +/= I obviously I think they will have competitive games.

Think you guys forget to take off your rose colored glasses and put down the koolaid when you visit this  forum, and you have a hard time processing things.

No hyperbole needed when it comes to A-State's football program.

Seminole Indian

Looks like the biggest question coming out of 2015, who would start at QB in 2016, has been settled, sorta.

Looks like they are going to play both Pitt transfer Sr. Chad Voytik, and JC transfer So Justice Hansen. Both have similar skills, so the offense does not change with one or the other in. Both have performed very well, and Voytik has the added benefit of having started a year at the FBS level.

Nipping at their heels is talented RS-Freshman D.J. Pearson( who most recruiters thought would go the baseball route).

http://247sports.com/Recruitment/DJ-Pearson-40076/RecruitInterests

The primary reason the A-State coaches chose to go after a JC QB, was that Pearson was coming off two hip surgeries, and his status for 2016 was unknown. Had he been healthy they would not have taken a JC transfer (Hansen).

The reason they went after a grad transfer (Voytik) was that last years #2, and leading candidate to start in 2016, James Tabary, was dismissed from the team, and his backup, Cameron Birse, decided to transfer after they brought in Hansen.

A winding road for sure but everyone involved with their program concedes they are much more talented at the QB position than at anytime in recent history, and can achieve their goals in 2016  with any of the top three players.

Seminole Indian

Just a reminder,  while I don't take offense at being associated with any of the fine schools in this State, I'm not a fan of any school and will delete any post implying I am.

ricepig

Well, you just ran off the only poster who wasn't trolling you, 100% of the time, lol.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: ricepig on August 20, 2016, 08:10:08 am
Well, you just ran off the only poster who wasn't trolling you, 100% of the time, lol.
Don't run off I need you to keep me between the ditches, like you do for everyone. 

GoHogs1091

It is looking like UCA's starting Offensive Line could be the following, compared to what is looking like could be the UofA's starting OL.  The sizes are from the Roster on the respective athletic web sites.

UCA                                                        UofA

LT:  Lee   6'6"  310 lbs.                        LT:  Skipper   6'10"  319 lbs.

LG:  Mallett   6'3"  307 lbs.                 LG:  Froholdt   6'4"  318 lbs.

C:    Cook   6'4"  319 lbs.                     C:    Ragnow   6'5"  319 lbs.

RG:  Tachie   6'4"  313 lbs.                 RG:  Raulerson   6'4"  301 lbs.

RT:  Chastain   6'6"  330 lbs.              RT:  Jackson   6'6"  300 lbs.

Total Weight:  1,579 lbs.                    Total Weight:  1,557 lbs.
Avg. lbs.:  315.8 lbs.                           Avg. lbs.:  311.4 lbs.

Seminole Indian

Read on their message board UCA may have lost their starting center for the year.

UCA has a lot of size, and talent on the DL also.

Just a talented team , with a lot of players who held FBS offers on their roster.

Still think their skill players, because of their speed and talent, are the key to exceeding expectations, which are pretty high considering all the players they lost from last year.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Seminole Indian on August 22, 2016, 06:45:11 am
Read on their message board UCA may have lost their starting center for the year.

I went over to their message board, and saw that post stated it was Cade Camp who was injured.  Their starting Center may be one of the following.

John Cook   6'4"  319 lbs.   Sophomore
Gilberto Garcia   6'2"  305 lbs.   Junior

Their Offensive Line play will be interesting in the future.  They have a True Freshman Offensive Lineman who is 6'7" 347 lbs.

Seminole Indian

Going into the fall practices at A-State the biggest questions were finding a QB, and developing depth in the OL and CB. The QB question looks like they have been answered, but  the issues in the OL and at CB, have not.

At the corners, they expected to lose only one player from last year, Rocky Hayes (their best cb), but then Jai Knight (6, 185) decided to transfer, and potential starter Jamaris Hart (5-9, 173) was lost for the year with an injury this summer.

They have been attempting to bring in some JC help, and Kyle Martin (5-9, 175) came on board last week, and they are still waiting on Glbert Glidersleeve (5-11, 183).

Three players are locks for pt at the corner position. Blase Tarlor https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/27749, Nehemiah Wagner, http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Nehemiah-Wagner-32696/RecruitInterests, and Brandon Byner https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/32434.

After them no one knows for sure but look for safety Chris Humes (5-11, 206) https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/maple/121750, to make the move to corner if necessary. That is the position that the coaches feel he will have the best shot at in the pros and he has looked  very good there in practice, and scrimmages.

In the OL look for RS-Freshman Dalton Ford (6-4, 307) http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Dalton-Ford-45751/RecruitInterests, Cam Davis  (6-4, 303) http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Cameron-Davis-37539/RecruitInterests, Jamal Fontenot (6-4, 302) https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/5207, Brandon Berg (6-2, 284) https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/maple/168313, and perhaps their newest addition Lanard Bonner (6-5, 330) to be their primary backups. Only Berg has many saps for them as a backup.

Thus far in fall camp the corners have looked very good, and the OL has been manhandled by their defense.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on August 22, 2016, 02:04:07 pm
I went over to their message board, and saw that post stated it was Cade Camp who was injured.  Their starting Center may be one of the following.

John Cook   6'4"  319 lbs.   Sophomore
Gilberto Garcia   6'2"  305 lbs.   Junior

Their Offensive Line play will be interesting in the future.  They have a True Freshman Offensive Lineman who is 6'7" 347 lbs.

Like the Razorbacks, if they can get good play from their OL they could be pretty salty on offense at some point, but must stay healthy.

A-State was suppose to one of the top OL's in G5( ranked as high as # 27 in FBS by one source), but have not been able to get all their starters healthy since the last part of last season. Their HC said maybe this week they will get everyone back.

Seminole Indian

In A-States first practice since the end of fall camp Pitt transfer QB Chad Voytik, took all the snaps with the 1st team, and Justice Hansen spent some time at WR.

Safety Chris Humes (5-11, 206) practiced at CB. The talented senior will probably play both positions.

GoHogs1091

A lot of positives for UCA going into the season.  They will need to stay healthy though during the season, which is even more magnified because of a lower amount of scholarship players on a FCS Roster compared to FBS Rosters.

They return a QB, Hayden Hildebrand, who has quite a bit of prior playing experience.  Like the UofA, UCA also has a 6'7" back-up QB, Kolt Harfield, but unlike Cole Kelley at the UofA this is Harfield's 2nd season at the collegiate level.  Also, Harfield probably played against better competition in High School than Kelley (Harfield played in high-level Texas High School football).

UCA has some good depth at the RB position, which is a change over the last few seasons.  They have 4 upperclassmen RBs who will probably be getting some carries (Antwon Wells, Kelton Warren, Jarvis Cooper, and Darrien Daniels).  They have some impressive Freshmen RBs (Carlos Blackman, Kierre Crossley, Jackie Harvell, and Keshawn Ledet).  Blackman probably should have received Offers from SEC schools.

Regarding their Wide Receivers, it is a very deep group, and perhaps will be one of the best WR groups at the FCS level.  It has a combination of size and speed.  The following is their WR group.

Jatavious Wilson   A lot of speed, and is an All-Conference selection in 3 categories, Wide Receiver, Kick Returner, and All-Purpose.

Brandon Cox   A lot of speed.

Jacquez McMillian    6'4"

Jakari Dillard   6'4"  A transfer from Texas Tech. 

Brady Moore   6'6"

Roman Gordon   6'2"

Jose Moore   6'2"

Fernando Van Hook   Has speed

Brandon Northcross is an impressive Freshman WR from Ashdown, AR.

On Defense, the hire of DL Coach, Larry Hart, was a very good hire by Steve Campbell.  Hart was a relentless Defensive Lineman when he played at UCA, and he got drafted in the NFL Draft.   Hart also served as a Graduate Assistant at Arkansas State in 2014.  Hart's DL coaching should help UCA's DL play the relentless style that Hart played.

Their Linebacker group has good size and instinct.  I presume their starting LBs (they use a 3-4 Defensive Scheme) could be the following.

James Pope   6'3"  238 lbs.
Dalvin Simmons   6'2"  242 lbs.
Garrett Sharp   6'3"  220 lbs.   He played very well against Oklahoma State last season
George Odum   6'2"  190 lbs.  They use him as a hybrid type of LB.   Usually is very active.  He had 69 total tackles last season, including 2 tackles for a loss against Oklahoma State.

A major key for UCA will be to get better Secondary play compared to last season.  They got a Transfer DB from the University of Nebraska, Trai Mosley, who redshirted there in 2014, and he played in 9 games for Nebraska in 2015.  He was a Top 60 in the nation CB by Scout.com when he was coming out of High School.  UCA also hired a new Cornerbacks Coach, Josh Jones, who was named an All-American at 2 different schools when he played DB at the collegiate level.  Jones later played in the Arena Football League.  Jones' experience at playing DB should help their CB play improve.

UCA should have the talent and the coaching to be able to win at least 8 games this season (11 game schedule), if they don't get a lot of injuries during the season.  I don't see them being able to win against Arkansas State, but they could play Arkansas State tough for 3 Quarters.  ASU won't necessarily out-talent UCA, but it will probably be an ASU out-depth UCA situation.  It is just a huge advantage for a FBS team to have more scholarship players on their Roster than a FCS Roster. 

The other 2 high chance possible losses for UCA are at McNeese State and at Sam Houston State.  McNeese State gets a lot of players that LSU has 4th or 5th on their Offer List/Offer Board, and those players that McNeese State gets that were passed over by LSU are good enough to play for a lot of Power Conference teams.  Sam Houston State is usually loaded with players who are good enough to play at the FBS level.  Sam Houston State also gets quite a few of Transfers from Power Conference Texas schools.

Seminole Indian

That UCA is is rebuilding, but is a very talented team is a no brainier.

They have FBS talent all through their roster, especially at the skill positions.

That is why they have so many on the preseason All-SLC team, and are picked third in the SLC. That shows how much talent they have.

The only question is when they finally gel as a complete team. A-State coaches, and fans hope it is after they play them.

Depth is absolutely key when an FBS plays a quality FCS, and because A-State is not far removed from 1-AA, the A-State coaches, players and fans know this, and FBS teams that don't, even mighty P5's, get beat.

They will certainly try to tucker UCA out.

The biggest advantage for A-State vs UCA, as opposed to other FBS vs FCS match-ups is they will not, not be ready. You will get their "A" Game, in front of  an almost packed house.

Should be a fun game to watch.

Seminole Indian

The biggest takes from the various practice reports at A-State is how good the offense looks with their starting OL finally on the field together. Night and day difference.

Not that the defense has taken a step back, they still look dominant, just that the offense got very good, very fast, and the explosive plays their HC  has said throughout fall camp would be there come Toledo are now there.

Kicking Wing

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on August 24, 2016, 05:17:40 pm
A lot of positives for UCA going into the season.  They will need to stay healthy though during the season, which is even more magnified because of a lower amount of scholarship players on a FCS Roster compared to FBS Rosters.

They return a QB, Hayden Hildebrand, who has quite a bit of prior playing experience.  Like the UofA, UCA also has a 6'7" back-up QB, Kolt Harfield, but unlike Cole Kelley at the UofA this is Harfield's 2nd season at the collegiate level.  Also, Harfield probably played against better competition in High School than Kelley (Harfield played in high-level Texas High School football).

UCA has some good depth at the RB position, which is a change over the last few seasons.  They have 4 upperclassmen RBs who will probably be getting some carries (Antwon Wells, Kelton Warren, Jarvis Cooper, and Darrien Daniels).  They have some impressive Freshmen RBs (Carlos Blackman, Kierre Crossley, Jackie Harvell, and Keshawn Ledet).  Blackman probably should have received Offers from SEC schools.

Regarding their Wide Receivers, it is a very deep group, and perhaps will be one of the best WR groups at the FCS level.  It has a combination of size and speed.  The following is their WR group.

Jatavious Wilson   A lot of speed, and is an All-Conference selection in 3 categories, Wide Receiver, Kick Returner, and All-Purpose.

Brandon Cox   A lot of speed.

Jacquez McMillian    6'4"

Jakari Dillard   6'4"  A transfer from Texas Tech. 

Brady Moore   6'6"

Roman Gordon   6'2"

Jose Moore   6'2"

Fernando Van Hook   Has speed

Brandon Northcross is an impressive Freshman WR from Ashdown, AR.

On Defense, the hire of DL Coach, Larry Hart, was a very good hire by Steve Campbell.  Hart was a relentless Defensive Lineman when he played at UCA, and he got drafted in the NFL Draft.   Hart also served as a Graduate Assistant at Arkansas State in 2014.  Hart's DL coaching should help UCA's DL play the relentless style that Hart played.

Their Linebacker group has good size and instinct.  I presume their starting LBs (they use a 3-4 Defensive Scheme) could be the following.

James Pope   6'3"  238 lbs.
Dalvin Simmons   6'2"  242 lbs.
Garrett Sharp   6'3"  220 lbs.   He played very well against Oklahoma State last season
George Odum   6'2"  190 lbs.  They use him as a hybrid type of LB.   Usually is very active.  He had 69 total tackles last season, including 2 tackles for a loss against Oklahoma State.

A major key for UCA will be to get better Secondary play compared to last season.  They got a Transfer DB from the University of Nebraska, Trai Mosley, who redshirted there in 2014, and he played in 9 games for Nebraska in 2015.  He was a Top 60 in the nation CB by Scout.com when he was coming out of High School.  UCA also hired a new Cornerbacks Coach, Josh Jones, who was named an All-American at 2 different schools when he played DB at the collegiate level.  Jones later played in the Arena Football League.  Jones' experience at playing DB should help their CB play improve.

UCA should have the talent and the coaching to be able to win at least 8 games this season (11 game schedule), if they don't get a lot of injuries during the season.  I don't see them being able to win against Arkansas State, but they could play Arkansas State tough for 3 Quarters.  ASU won't necessarily out-talent UCA, but it will probably be an ASU out-depth UCA situation.  It is just a huge advantage for a FBS team to have more scholarship players on their Roster than a FCS Roster. 

The other 2 high chance possible losses for UCA are at McNeese State and at Sam Houston State.  McNeese State gets a lot of players that LSU has 4th or 5th on their Offer List/Offer Board, and those players that McNeese State gets that were passed over by LSU are good enough to play for a lot of Power Conference teams.  Sam Houston State is usually loaded with players who are good enough to play at the FBS level.  Sam Houston State also gets quite a few of Transfers from Power Conference Texas schools.
It isn't just depth.  UCA will have just as many on scholarship as they can split scholarships.  Your statement was closer to being true 10 to 15 years ago, of course.  In 2011, ASU did not punt vs. UCA in a blowout.  There will be a talent and depth gap.  Montana State is probably the best program from FCS we have played in a long time and it was not much of a game.

Seminole Indian

Anderson, and the other coaches for that matter, is not shy about letting people know about what he thinks about the talent on this team that is for sure.

Was quoted in today's Jonesboro Sun Newspaper as saying "...he had never gone into a season in 24 years of coaching with as much anticipation of something special happening as this year." 

"What I expect, I expect this team to go out and find a way to win every week."

Their coaches to a man think they are loaded for bear ( no offence UCA, just a figure of speech).

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Kicking Wing on August 25, 2016, 03:09:02 pm
It isn't just depth.  UCA will have just as many on scholarship as they can split scholarships.  Your statement was closer to being true 10 to 15 years ago, of course.  In 2011, ASU did not punt vs. UCA in a blowout.  There will be a talent and depth gap.  Montana State is probably the best program from FCS we have played in a long time and it was not much of a game.

That was one of the weaker Montana State teams.  Montana State's record in 2014 was 8-5.

Yall won't be facing the same UCA that you faced in 2011.  First of all, in 2011 UCA did not have their normal starting QB against yall.  That made a big difference for UCA in regards to being a disadvantage.

Also, the current UCA is overall better coached at specific key areas than 2011 UCA,

Steve Campbell is better at OL coaching than Brooks Hollingsworth.  Campbell does a lot of the coaching of UCA's OL.  When Campbell was hired as Head Coach by UCA, a member of the national media sent out a message stating that Campbell was the best OL Coach in the State of Mississippi regardless of level.  It should be remembered that Campbell has OL coached in the SEC (he was an OL Coach for Jackie Sherrill at Mississippi State).

Greg Stewart is a better Defensive Coordinator than Matt Williamson.  Stewart is more experienced than Williamson, and Stewart has defensive coordinated at the Div. 1 level (Louisiana-Lafayette from 2010-2012 ).  Stewart's ULL Defenses ranked 2nd in the Sun Belt in both 2011 and 2012.

Larry Hart probably will be a better DL Coach than Dan Augustine.  Augustine was not a bad DL Coach, but Hart's DL coaching should mean UCA will be more physical and more aggressive.  Hart is a hungry, young Coach and as he played (Hart played hard and was relentless) means his DL should have the culture/mentality of Hart.

Josh Jones, their new CB Coach, should be better than any Defensive Back Coach that Clint Conque had.  Jones' CB coaching should lead to a significant improvement.  He played DB, and he was an All-American at 2 schools at the collegiate level, so he should know how to coach CBs so that they play the position at a high-level.

Lastly, the Strength and Conditioning Coach that Steve Campbell brought in when Campbell was hired, Robert Stiner, is light years better than the S&C Coach that Clint Conque had.  Stiner has worked in the S&C Program at a school in the Big 12 (Baylor), and the S&C Program at 2 schools in the SEC (LSU and Mississippi State).  Stiner has also worked at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, CO.  The current UCA players are better conditioned and stronger/more physical than the 2011 UCA players.     

HogCzar1

Quote from: Seminole Indian on August 26, 2016, 06:52:39 am
Anderson, and the other coaches for that matter, is not shy about letting people know about what he thinks about the talent on this team that is for sure.

Was quoted in today's Jonesboro Sun Newspaper as saying "...he had never gone into a season in 24 years of coaching with as much anticipation of something special happening as this year." 

"What I expect, I expect this team to go out and find a way to win every week."

Their coaches to a man think they are loaded for bear ( no offence UCA, just a figure of speech).

And this is why ASU should expect to win them all. There are people who have said they could win the SEC with this team. And no, that's not hyperbole. Rather, that comes from some of the most ardent ASU supporters.

The game against Toledo shouldn't be close. One supporter I talked with said he thought 52-10 was about right. 

Seminole Indian

Coach Anderson is in fact on the record saying he expects this team to find a way to win every game this year, and their goad is to be in Dallas.

That they could win the SEC.......wow!!!

Don't want to sound like a debbie downer, but the idea of any Arkansas team winning the SEC seems a little far fetcher to me, but I go strictly by recruiting and no Arkansas team has recruited the series of classes necessary to win the SEC IMO. Just an opinion mind you, nothing etched in stone.

HogCzar1

Not sure it's at all fair to go strictly by recruiting. Bielema did go to 3 Rose Bowls without highly ranked recruiting classes. The Big 10 would be considered even by most Sun Belt fans as a solid league. Also, since joining the SEC, Arkansas has gone to 3 SEC Championship games, and while not winning them, they still have gotten there without highly recruited classes.

Also, Petrino finished the year as #3 in the BCS after winning the Cotton Bowl vs. Kansas State. While its fair to say Arkansas hasn't won the SEC, it's not fair to create the narrative that they have been nowhere near it.

What will be interesting this year is to see where ASU winds up after going undefeated. People will argue they likely will not have played, or beaten, anyone in the top 25 during the season. That's likely true, but as we have read on the board, the talent ASU has should overcome that.

In listening to Jonesboro radio, reading some of the threads on the ASU message boards, and talking to ASU supporters, they do feel this team is a national championship challenger.

Seminole Indian

No I agree that you can't go strictly by talent, and all I use it for is the overall record +/-. It is pretty good for that.

My take from probably the same sources is "they" think A-State  could contend for the best G5 team this year.

Of course I have them winning 9 games +/-1, with a slight lean toward 10, so even that is a stretch IMO.

Kicking Wing

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on August 27, 2016, 08:46:05 pm
That was one of the weaker Montana State teams.  Montana State's record in 2014 was 8-5.

Yall won't be facing the same UCA that you faced in 2011.  First of all, in 2011 UCA did not have their normal starting QB against yall.  That made a big difference for UCA in regards to being a disadvantage.

Also, the current UCA is overall better coached at specific key areas than 2011 UCA,

Steve Campbell is better at OL coaching than Brooks Hollingsworth.  Campbell does a lot of the coaching of UCA's OL.  When Campbell was hired as Head Coach by UCA, a member of the national media sent out a message stating that Campbell was the best OL Coach in the State of Mississippi regardless of level.  It should be remembered that Campbell has OL coached in the SEC (he was an OL Coach for Jackie Sherrill at Mississippi State).

Greg Stewart is a better Defensive Coordinator than Matt Williamson.  Stewart is more experienced than Williamson, and Stewart has defensive coordinated at the Div. 1 level (Louisiana-Lafayette from 2010-2012 ).  Stewart's ULL Defenses ranked 2nd in the Sun Belt in both 2011 and 2012.

Larry Hart probably will be a better DL Coach than Dan Augustine.  Augustine was not a bad DL Coach, but Hart's DL coaching should mean UCA will be more physical and more aggressive.  Hart is a hungry, young Coach and as he played (Hart played hard and was relentless) means his DL should have the culture/mentality of Hart.

Josh Jones, their new CB Coach, should be better than any Defensive Back Coach that Clint Conque had.  Jones' CB coaching should lead to a significant improvement.  He played DB, and he was an All-American at 2 schools at the collegiate level, so he should know how to coach CBs so that they play the position at a high-level.

Lastly, the Strength and Conditioning Coach that Steve Campbell brought in when Campbell was hired, Robert Stiner, is light years better than the S&C Coach that Clint Conque had.  Stiner has worked in the S&C Program at a school in the Big 12 (Baylor), and the S&C Program at 2 schools in the SEC (LSU and Mississippi State).  Stiner has also worked at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, CO.  The current UCA players are better conditioned and stronger/more physical than the 2011 UCA players.     
I appreciate your enthusiasm.  ASU has gone on to win their conference 4 of 5 year since we last met and this year's team is better on paper than any of those 4.  The RBs and WRs on that 2011 team could not crack the 2 deep this year.  UCA was better under Conque than they have been since.

Larry Hart was a GA for us last year and now he is your DL coach.

UCA will probably compete for a top 3 Southland finish and have a solid year.

Seminole Indian

Noticed Coach Anderson said he expects UCA to be in the top 25 (FCS) when they play A-State so they know they have talent.

I can't get enough recruiting data on most of UCA's roster to rally compare the two rosters, and of course cannot factor in player development.

It does appear that A-State has a decided talent advantage over UCA even just looking at the expected starters( I could get recruiting info on many of these players for UCA) not depth, something the quality FCS programs can normally match-up better with.

The problem for UCA is this is just an exceptional year for A-State when it comes to talent, and because A-State covers the full cost of attendance, that is probably not going to change going forward. That is a decided recruiting advantage that they have never had before in the past.