Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Young Talent Looking Good in Fall Workouts at A-State

Started by Seminole Indian, August 14, 2016, 02:02:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Seminole Indian

August 14, 2016, 02:02:03 pm Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 02:26:21 pm by Seminole Indian
Despite the fact they return almost everyone  that contributed to their nine win season last year, and have added a large number of transfers , a surprising number  freshmen( true and redshirts) are making  it clear this fall they have the talent to contribute in 2016.

Redshirt freshman Damon Foncham (5-8, 190), is currently the #1 punter.

Redshirt freshman Omar Bayless (6-2, 187), has shown the talent that made him one of their top gets and should contribute at WR.

Redshirt freshmen Dalton Ford (6-4, 307), and Cam Davis( 6-4, 303), son of former Razorback Issac Davis, look to be in the 2-deep in the OL.

Redshirt freshman Tajhea Chambers (6-2, 246) has began to display the talent that made the coaches say he could be the best LB every at A-State, and he looked the part against USC before being hurt.

True freshmen BJ Edmonds (6, 203, 4.5), son of a former Razorback by the same name, and Ben Sukut (6, 207, 4.5)  have looked very good, and will probably get pt at safety as trues.

True freshman  Jermey Smith (5-11, 167. 4.3), who many thought was more a track and field guy, has been a big surprise and has used his exceptional speed and quickness to more than hold his own at the corner position, and could earn pt as a true.

True freshman Trenton Ellis Brown (6-2, 212, 4.5) appears to  be in line for pt at the Nickel position, and on ST.

Redshirt freshman D.J. Pearson( 6-2, 190) is currently #3 at QB, but the gap between him and the top two is not huge.

Redshirt freshman Jamal Jones (5-9, 183) will get pt at RB.

Redshirt freshman TJ Harris(6-2, 240) will get pt at DE.

Redshirt freshman  Javier Carbonell(6-2, 297), will get pt in the DL.

Redshirt freshmen  Darveon Brown (5-11, 175), and Jaylon Marshall (6-2, 190), from Warren, have a chance at pt at the AB and WR positions respectively, and on special teams.

Redshirt Freshman Avery Johnson (6-2, 233) could get pt at TE, as could true freshman Javon Issac (6-2, 214). Both are very good athletes.

True freshman  William Bradley-King (6-4, 240, 4.7), who like Smith was thought to be  more of  a track and field guy, has been very impressive at DE, but their depth at that position probably means he will  redshirt.

True freshman Logan Bonner (6-1, 224), has looked very good  at QB, but barring injuries to the other three QB's should redshirt.

That so many young players are showing they have the talent to contribute on this very experienced, and talented team this year is just another sign that the current coaches are continuing to recruit well.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

hawginbigd1

Bobby Joe Edmonds has a Kid with D1 talent and he doesn't get a scholly to the Hogs, that is a shame. Oh well hope he does well at ASU.

Seminole Indian

August 15, 2016, 01:51:33 pm #2 Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 02:19:31 pm by Seminole Indian
In this Scout Interview says he was hoping Arkansas, and Auburn would be interested but looks like only Auburn, (and Alabama) showed a little interest.
http://www.scout.com/college/football/recruiting/story/1620141-offense-or-defense-in-college-for-bj-edmonds

IMO he is like guys like Josh Liddell, Drew Morgan, and Dre Greenlaw( who were committed to them before getting their late SEC offer), in that he may not have had SEC size out of HS but has  SEC talent and is a great kid, with a high football IQ, who had some good offers.  He is a little over 200lbs now.

247 Profile
http://247sports.com/Recruitment/BJ-Edmonds-85670/RecruitInterests

Rivals Provile
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/maple/164237

Little FYI, they have a roster full of players just like him and those guys I mentioned, and that is why they are winning at the G5 level, because they have SEC speed and talent everywhere, just in smaller bodies, but they are getting bigger every year.

"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Seminole Indian

August 16, 2016, 07:24:43 am #3 Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 06:56:34 am by Seminole Indian
With the announcement that starting TE Warren Leapheart, their only true TE, is out for the season it looks like freshmen Avery Johnson (6-2, 233), and Javon Issac (6-2, 214) will play this year.

Both are are very athletic but more HB types.

Junior Blake Mack(6-5, 245) who is also an outstanding athlete, will be the starter, with Jonah Hill (6-3, 251) his backup. Hill has been very, very injury prone during his carrier, and has been sidelined most of the fall.

The loss of Leapheart  is really a game changer for their offense according to their HC, but he noted that they are fortunate to have enough  talent and depth at receiver to be still be very effective. I'm sure it will hurt them in short yardage situations.

hawginbigd1

August 16, 2016, 05:59:29 pm #4 Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 06:56:51 am by Seminole Indian
Quote from: Seminole Indian on August 16, 2016, 07:24:43 am
With the announcement that starting TE Warren Leapheart, their only true TE, is out for the season it looks like freshmen Avery Johnson (6-2, 233), and Javon Issac (6-2, 214) will play this year.

Both are are very athletic but more HB types.

Junior Blake Mack(6-5, 245) who is also an outstanding athlete, will be the starter, with Jonah Hill (6-3, 251) his backup. Hill has been very, very injury prone during his carrier, and has been sidelined most of the fall.

The loss of Leapheart  is really a game changer for their offense according to their HC, but he noted that they are fortunate to have enough  talent and depth at receiver to be still be very effective. I'm sure it will hurt them in short yardage situations.
I may be missing it but I don't believe they have had a true TE for a couple years.

ricepig

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on August 16, 2016, 05:59:29 pm
I may be missing it but I don't believe they have had a true TE for a couple years.

Griswold?

Seminole Indian

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on August 16, 2016, 05:59:29 pm

I know Griswold was signed as a QB but all he played was TE.

Darion Griswold, TE, Arkansas State
Height: 6-3. Weight: 249. Arm: 33.5. Hand 9.25.
Projected 40 Time: 4.67.
Projected Round (2016): 5-7.
4/26/16: Griswold had 13 receptions for 187 yards with two scores in 2015. He flashed some receiving skills at the East-West Shrine and earned a late invitation to the Senior Bowl. Griswold needs some development, but he could turn into a nice contributor in a passing offense. He did not work out at the combine.

8/10/15: Griswold recorded 18 receptions for 221 y.ards and four touchdowns in 2014. He totaled 24 catches for 312 yards and three scores the year before.
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2016TE.php#TIojs6b1YdYCjLLh.99

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Seminole Indian on August 16, 2016, 06:18:51 pm
I know Griswold was signed as a QB but all he played was TE.

Darion Griswold, TE, Arkansas State
Height: 6-3. Weight: 249. Arm: 33.5. Hand 9.25.
Projected 40 Time: 4.67.
Projected Round (2016): 5-7.
4/26/16: Griswold had 13 receptions for 187 yards with two scores in 2015. He flashed some receiving skills at the East-West Shrine and earned a late invitation to the Senior Bowl. Griswold needs some development, but he could turn into a nice contributor in a passing offense. He did not work out at the combine.

8/10/15: Griswold recorded 18 receptions for 221 y.ards and four touchdowns in 2014. He totaled 24 catches for 312 yards and three scores the year before.
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2016TE.php#TIojs6b1YdYCjLLh.99
He was a H-back type, 2 or maybe it was 3 years ago he lined up in the slot or at WR only, so that's what I mean they really haven't had a true TE. He kind of tried to grow into a TE.

Seminole Indian

August 16, 2016, 09:54:40 pm #8 Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 10:06:15 pm by Seminole Indian
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on August 16, 2016, 07:01:42 pm
He was a H-back type, 2 or maybe it was 3 years ago he lined up in the slot or at WR only, so that's what I mean they really haven't had a true TE. He kind of tried to grow into a TE.
They just don't sign many true TE's for some reason. 

Chris Stone, Jonah Hill, and Javon Issac are the only recent players I can recall that were listed as TE's out of HS, and IMO they more fit the profile of "athlete" than TE's.

Stone ended up as an All-SBC DE, and Hill spent time as an HB and DE before moving to TE.

The top two TE's this year, Warren Leapheart (6-5, 243), and Blake Mack( 6-5, 245), were recruited as WR's and started out as WR's.

I think there is a chance that Javon Issac (6-2, 220) could end up on defense if necessary, and IMO he is one of their more talented freshmen. Even though he was a  2-star recruit, he had the offer sheet of a 3-star, which means he really came on his senior year.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/maple/172357