Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All 2016 A-State Football Prediction Post

Started by Seminole Indian, April 16, 2016, 05:31:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Seminole Indian

July 12, 2016, 06:23:08 am #50 Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 07:25:12 am by Seminole Indian
Interesting that the only team on their schedule with a real talent advantage this year is coached by their ex-coach, who according to posters on this site can't coach, so maybe that does open the door.

The question is can A-States Coach, coach.

Third year is when we are suppose to know one way or another......about both I guess.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

BPsTheMan

PonderinHog

Quote from: ricepig on June 07, 2016, 07:57:11 pm
True, they increased it a lot the last couple of years, but I was wondering where the next influx is coming from.
Car wash fundraisers ???

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC 3m3 minutes ago

Non-conference preview: Arkansas State vs. Auburn analysis, prediction http://sec.news/2ahJ9r3

QuoteThe unknown at quarterback, along with a could-be strong defensive line, should worry Auburn...
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Seminole Indian

July 21, 2016, 08:16:06 am #54 Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 10:28:37 am by Seminole Indian
Playing on the road against a team who has a boat load of talent makes that seem about right.

One thing they are missing in this write-up is that the players A-State is bringing in are head & shoulders better prospects, than those leaving. I mean you are talking about replacing 2-3 star players with 3-4 star players.

4-star Chad Voytik started 16 games at Pitt and won two bowl games, (departed 2-star Fredi Knighten would never have seen the field at Pitt as a QB), and 4- star Justice Hansen is a huge upgrade in talent over Knighten. Heck, A-States deepest, and most talented position was, and is at receiver (WR, AB. and TE), and Knighten at his very best was average in the passing department.

Departed 2-Star receiver Tres Houston ( who was very good), 3-star J.D. McKissic ( who was good but always hurt), and 2-star TE Darion Griswold ( good enough to get a free agent contract) were all good but  3-star newbies Omar Bayless, Christian Booker, Justin McInnis, Cameron Echols-Luper, Darveon Brown,  and 4-star Kendall Sanders, are even more talented, and a lot faster. Plus they move 2-Star Blake Mack,( from WR), 2-star Jonah Hill( from DE),and 3-star Avery Johnson( from LB) to TE where they are a better fit.

They only lose 3-star Michael Gordon at RB (even though he rushed for more than a 1000 yards, like McKissic, had a penchant for being hurt) and they really split the carries between three backs., with 3-star Wand and former walk-on White returning.  They add 3-star Jamal Jones, and Armond Weh Weh (225lb, 4.4), and super fast 2-star Daryl Rollins‐Davis back from an injury that sidelined him for a year.

IMO they will be better at QB, WR, AB, RB  and with a little droop-off at TE.

"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

BPsTheMan

I"m tired of these 1AA schools coming in and taking over the Sun Belt and then moving to CUSA. Screw them.

not going to happen anyway. asAte is going undefeated

I wish we had Freddie Knighten back

Seminole Indian

July 22, 2016, 07:29:37 pm #56 Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 09:04:00 pm by Seminole Indian
Poor Red Wolves, they have not been picked to win in 16 years, but this year was suppose to be different and end in a tie. Someone got confused.

Both A-State and AppSt are expected to go undefeated.

I thought every SBC team but UL and NMSU were 1AA call-ups, or crawl-ups or whatever. Just keep headed up and everything will workout.

Overtheroadtruckdriver

A few years ago I remember driving through little rock and seeing a big picture of Gus and I believe all it said was "Game on".

I've always considered ASU my third favorite Arkansas college behind u of a and ATU.  It is a shame that Gus didn't stick around long enough for the red wolfs to see if he could bring them to national prominence.  I hope they have a good season and I hope that we see them on tv and even a bowl game this year.  I'll admit I don't know as much about them this year as previous years but that's not gonna stop me from cheering them on and reading as much about them as I can here on Hogville.  What I appreciate about hogville is that the bosses here allow us to talk about second tier schools and debate and discuss the issues with these programs as well as the hogs. 

Does anyone have any insight into the team this year that would let a guy who admittedly hasn't done his homework get up to speed in a hurry?

BPsTheMan

Quote from: OTR on July 23, 2016, 03:21:28 pm

Does anyone have any insight into the team this year that would let a guy who admittedly hasn't done his homework get up to speed in a hurry?

theyre going to go undefeated - how's that for insight

did you not buy an Atholons magazine this year? It's easy as pie to take the Atholons breakdown and see where Atholons gets it wrong, then correct what they get wrong, and figure an undefeated season. Kind of a connect the dots and bam

12-0

I can't predict the bowl game yet

Overtheroadtruckdriver

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on July 23, 2016, 05:35:58 pm

theyre going to go undefeated - how's that for insight

did you not buy an Atholons magazine this year? It's easy as pie to take the Atholons breakdown and see where Atholons gets it wrong, then correct what they get wrong, and figure an undefeated season. Kind of a connect the dots and bam

12-0

I can't predict the bowl game yet

I hope so. Are they that good?

Fort Dweller

Anything can happen with Blake Anderson at the helm.
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

Overtheroadtruckdriver

Quote from: Fort Dweller on July 23, 2016, 07:18:27 pm

That is the truth.

Now who is Blake Anderson again?

BPsTheMan

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Fort Dweller on July 23, 2016, 07:18:27 pm

Truth. Just wonder how long he'll be around before he gets a call from another school. Going 12-0 this fall will really garner some interest.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

Overtheroadtruckdriver

Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on July 23, 2016, 08:22:43 pm
Truth. Just wonder how long he'll be around before he gets a call from another school. Going 12-0 this fall will really garner some interest.

If he wins 12 games he'll be gone faster than you can take down a Gus Malzahn Game on billboard.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: OTR on July 23, 2016, 08:31:54 pm
If he wins 12 games he'll be gone faster than you can take down a Gus Malzahn Game on billboard.

Agreed. And, that's what I fear. Continued revolving door at the stAte football operation center's head coach entrance.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

HogCzar1

Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on July 23, 2016, 08:34:22 pm
Agreed. And, that's what I fear. Continued revolving door at the stAte football operation center's head coach entrance.

Wouldn't be quite so sure. I still think that a Power 5 Conference invitation, and dramatic increases in ASU money can keep Anderson. Even if they go undefeated, as quite a few predict.

BPsTheMan

Quote from: HogCzar1 on July 23, 2016, 09:05:44 pm

Wouldn't be quite so sure. I still think that a Power 5 Conference invitation, and dramatic increases in ASU money can keep Anderson. Even if they go undefeated, as quite a few predict.

ASU going undefeated is becoming the common opinion of some of the media now too

I believe Sporting Life Arkansas has made that prediction as well

Better give Head Coach Blake Shelton the Free Gus Malzahn House quick, or he will be whisked away by some P5

Seminole Indian

He will have been there three years..........don't want any coach nesting in.

Time to let the next hot-shot get on the fast track up the coaching ladder.

They have by far more talent than anyone in their conference so winning should not be a problem from the get-go.

thebignasty

I really figured they'd have moved  into second place for you OTR with the deer blind giveaway.

Overtheroadtruckdriver

Quote from: thebignasty on July 24, 2016, 09:59:18 am
I really figured they'd have moved  into second place for you OTR with the deer blind giveaway.

Still like the wonder boys second.  I almost thought about getting my ged and going to Atu at one time.  I even met a instructor there and he encouraged me to go back to school and get a diploma!  If I ever get my ged the first place I'm going to apply is atu.  I wonder if they offer any truck driving courses?  I might even be able to a teacher there.  Imagine!

BPsTheMan

Quote from: OTR on July 23, 2016, 03:21:28 pm
A few years ago I remember driving through little rock and seeing a big picture of Gus and I believe all it said was "Game on".

I've always considered ASU my third favorite Arkansas college behind u of a and ATU.  It is a shame that Gus didn't stick around long enough for the red wolfs to see if he could bring them to national prominence.  I hope they have a good season and I hope that we see them on tv and even a bowl game this year.  I'll admit I don't know as much about them this year as previous years but that's not gonna stop me from cheering them on and reading as much about them as I can here on Hogville.  What I appreciate about hogville is that the bosses here allow us to talk about second tier schools and debate and discuss the issues with these programs as well as the hogs. 

it all starts with Quantico Heath at linebacker

ricepig

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on July 24, 2016, 11:54:23 am

it all starts with Quantico Heath at linebacker

Just wait until they get their Queretaro, Mexico campus up and running, lots of futbol players will come from there as transfers.

BPsTheMan

Quote from: ricepig on July 24, 2016, 12:26:29 pm
Just wait until they get their Queretaro, Mexico campus up and running, lots of futbol players will come from there as transfers.

no doubt ricer

BPsTheMan

Quote from: HogCzar1 on July 23, 2016, 09:05:44 pm

I still think you're being too pessimistic

Seminole Indian

July 24, 2016, 02:40:18 pm #75 Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 08:23:33 am by Seminole Indian
College football season in the South is something special, and it is looks like everyone here is in absolutely beside themselves for the off-season to be behind them, but I'm to old to be like minded.

While the enthusiasm here almost got me excited about the actual season, because IMO how a team will do overall is pretty much written in soft stone based on the talent on that teams roster compared to that on the teams they play,  I will again just catch bits and pieces of a few games and attend none.

I do like the fact that recruiting is now 24/7/365, so the actual season does not really prevent me following recruiting like it use to in the past.

With that said IMO based on the data I have about the talent on A-States roster verses the teams on their schedule, IMO only one team (Auburn) has a talent advantage, plus gets the next biggest advantage in that the game is at their place.

IMO only a couple of teams on their schedule match A-States overall roster talent, but I don't have either matching the talent of A-States expected contributors, and only one has the home field advantage (Utah State).

I'm sticking with my 9 win's +/- 1 overall record prediction, with a slight lean toward 10, a conference championship, and another bowl game.

Why not predict 10 or 11 wins based on talent?

I don't have to tell Razorback fans that other factors enter into the picture, and teams with the most talented roster of players do not always win. That fact has been an embarrassment to Razorback Nation on occasion in their out of conference games , but a huge blessing inside the SEC.

Hopefully all the Colleges and Universities in Arkansas are about experience a successful season, but regardless it is still a special time of the year so enjoy.

Feel free not to respond to this post, because I intend to keep it between the ditches. Just this one.

BPsTheMan

Quote from: Seminole Indian on July 24, 2016, 02:40:18 pm
College football season in the South is something special, and it is looks like everyone here is in absolutely beside themselves for the off-season to be behind them, but I'm to old to be like minded.

While the enthusiasm here almost got me excited about the actual season, because IMO how a team will do overall is pretty much written in soft stone based on the talent on that teams roster compared to that on the teams they play,  I will again just catch bits and pieces of a few games and attend none.

I do like the fact that recruiting is now 24/7/365, so the actual season does not really prevent me following recruiting like it use to in the past.

With that said IMO based on the data I have about the talent on A-States roster verses the teams on their schedule, IMO only one team (Auburn) has a talent advantage, plus gets the next biggest advantage in that the game is at their place.

IMO only a couple of teams on their schedule match A-States overall roster talent, but I don't have either matching the talent of A-States expected contributors, and only one has the home field advantage (Utah State).

I'm sticking with my 9 win's +/- 1 overall record prediction, with a slight lean toward 10, a conference championship, and another bowl game.

Why not predict 10 or 11 wins based on talent?

I don't have to tell Razorback fans that other factors enter into the picture, and teams with the most talented roster of players do not always win. That fact has been an embarrassment to Razorback Nation on occasion in their out of conference games , but a huge blessing inside the SEC.

Hopefully all the Colleges and Universities in Arkansas are about experience a successful season, but regardless it is still a special time of the year so enjoy.

Feel free not to respond to this post, because I intend to keep it between the ditches. Just this one.

I can't wait to get back to the campus and see all my old friends

Seminole Indian

Quote from: ricepig on July 24, 2016, 12:26:29 pm

Maybe a few female soccer players( don't they call soccer football in some corners of the world), and maybe a kicker or two.

https://twitter.com/jefflongUA/status/756998426722656256?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Overtheroadtruckdriver

A lot of positive vibes here.  Wish we had our own forum for ASU sports.

thebignasty

Quote from: OTR on July 24, 2016, 10:41:18 am
Still like the wonder boys second.  I almost thought about getting my ged and going to Atu at one time.  I even met a instructor there and he encouraged me to go back to school and get a diploma!  If I ever get my ged the first place I'm going to apply is atu.  I wonder if they offer any truck driving courses?  I might even be able to a teacher there.  Imagine!

Fine academic institution, OTR, would certainly get you a diploma that is worth at least as much as the fancy card stock its printed on. College kids take real well to old, wizened, arthritic truckers and I imagine you'd be a hit on campus, particularly if you could tell them some 'real world' truck driving stories. I see a fraternity invite and maybe even headboy status in your future, if you get that ged lined out an all as I am sure you will.  Just think, professor OTR, nice ring to it, something to really and truly strive for.

Overtheroadtruckdriver

Quote from: thebignasty on July 24, 2016, 07:45:26 pm
Fine academic institution, OTR, would certainly get you a diploma that is worth at least as much as the fancy card stock its printed on. College kids take real well to old, wizened, arthritic truckers and I imagine you'd be a hit on campus, particularly if you could tell them some 'real world' truck driving stories. I see a fraternity invite and maybe even headboy status in your future, if you get that ged lined out an all as I am sure you will.  Just think, professor OTR, nice ring to it, something to really and truly strive for.

I've bought a lot of college textbooks through the years so I ain't as uneducated as your average truck driver.  I've studied logic and psychology and sociology and anthropology and the history of western civilization.  I don't know about the ged.  That kind of scares me.  But I think I could pass some of the classes at atu and I bet a opinionated truck driver taking freshman classes would be a big hit on campus. 

Seminole Indian

I'm having flashbacks of those Smokey and the Bandit movies.

Overtheroadtruckdriver

Quote from: Seminole Indian on July 24, 2016, 09:51:17 pm

That movie is a classic but would have been more of a classic if Burt Reynolds and Jerry reed both drove big trucks and not that dumb firebird.

Seminole Indian

I've always associated those movies with the fascination everyone had with CB's and trucking at that time.

Overtheroadtruckdriver

Quote from: Seminole Indian on July 25, 2016, 04:59:51 pm
I've always associated those movies with the fascination everyone had with CB's and trucking at that time and still have today.

Fixed that for you, dummy.  People still love cb's.

Overtheroadtruckdriver

This thread needs to get back on topic.  Now let's start talking up the team and not worry about my lack of education. I can read what I want to read and need to read as long as it's not above a 8th grade level.

Jackrabbit Hog

Does Benny Ellender still coach ASU?  He's a darn good coach.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

BPsTheMan

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on July 25, 2016, 08:45:06 pm
Does Benny Ellender still coach ASU?  He's a darn good coach.

JackrabbitHog, your flippant disingenuous trolling of Wolve Nation will not be tolerated here  >:(

JIMMY BOARFFETT

How's the ASU cheer leading squad this year, I haven't seen anything about them.
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

ricepig

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on July 25, 2016, 09:12:14 pm
How's the ASU cheer leading squad this year, I haven't seen anything about them.

I heard they grazed well this summer......

Seminole Indian

Quote from: ricepig on July 25, 2016, 09:13:26 pm
I heard they grazed well this summer......

That's really not a very nice thing to say ricepig.

Seminole Indian

Speaking of grazing, I've gained about 4 lbs trying out some of those Restaurants. I needed to gain the weight, wife said she did not, so WE are on a diet. 

Overtheroadtruckdriver

Quote from: Seminole Indian on July 25, 2016, 09:29:09 pm

Agree.  We need to keep riff raff like rice pig and boarfett and Harry Vonner out of this thread

Seminole Indian

Quote from: OTR on July 25, 2016, 10:08:00 pm
Agree.  We need to keep riff raff like rice pig and boarfett and Harry Vonner out of this thread
Lets give them another chance to behave themselves.

Jackrabbit Hog

Is that Lisko kid still blocking punts for the Indians?  Kid's got a real talent for that.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

JIMMY BOARFFETT

Quote from: Seminole Indian on July 26, 2016, 05:08:35 am
Lets give them another chance to behave themselves.

I thought I was behaving.  I was interested in a football support group that does a lot of hard work with very little acknowledgement. 
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on July 25, 2016, 09:29:09 pm

It's something I picked up off the old "Den" board, I figured if it was good for the natives, it was Kosher! And, you know it was in jest, I didn't even bring up the A-Team....

ricepig

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on July 26, 2016, 07:19:05 am
I thought I was behaving.  I was interested in a football support group that does a lot of hard work with very little acknowledgement. 

They actually do a good job, a couple of my daughter's high school friends are on both cheer and dance.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Seminole Indian on July 25, 2016, 09:46:36 pm
Speaking of grazing, I've gained about 4 lbs trying out some of those Restaurants. I needed to gain the weight, wife said she did not, so WE are on a diet. 

I wish someone would have warned me about those type things before I got married.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Seminole Indian on July 24, 2016, 09:51:17 pm

I'm still waiting on that clam chowder delivery..............................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi