Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jim Harris the Little Rock Trojans and the Arkansas Razorbacks

Started by SportsLife, March 11, 2016, 10:05:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SportsLife

"As Arkansas-Fayetteville becomes more northwest focused with its teams, relegating its central Arkansas fanbase to low-level opponents in both major sports, Little Rock basketball fans deserve their own team."

http://www.sportinglifearkansas.com/jim-harris-trojans-take-aim-at-ncaa-and-taking-over-little-rock/

chiefhawg

Good article.
I remember those days of glory for both UALR and Arkansas State. Wally Hall had a Sunday night TV show and both Nelson Catalina and Mike Newell would come on and gloat and boast about their programs and make not so respectful comments about Nolan and the Razorbacks. Newell was very arrogant.
How did things play out? Newell is coaching NAIA Dillard University in New Orleans, Catalina is doing what? Selling insurance maybe. Nolan? Well we all know he is in the Naismith Hall Of Fame.

root_hawg

When their coach leaves next year and maybe this year if they make the tourney and win a game, they will be back to being second tier

ShadowHawg

Quote from: root_hawg on March 11, 2016, 10:48:52 pm
When their coach leaves next year and maybe this year if they make the tourney and win a game, they will be back to being second tier

He could stay and they will more than likely fall back to nothing. It's life in the Sunbelt.

LZH

Thus rejoining the Hogs on that level.

HoopS

Quote from: LZH on March 12, 2016, 07:47:55 am
Thus rejoining the Hogs on that level.
Let's see them actually make the tournament first. Haven't done it yet. I'm rooting for them. Just saying that right now, they've had a nice season but they have work to do to be considered any higher level than any other Sun Belt team.

LZH

Quote from: HoopS on March 12, 2016, 08:24:43 am
Let's see them actually make the tournament first. Haven't done it yet. I'm rooting for them. Just saying that right now, they've had a nice season but they have work to do to be considered any higher level than any other Sun Belt team.

:)

phadedhawg

I hope Little Rock can establish themselves as the basketball team for Central Arkansas.  We aren't getting all the key in state recruits anymore so it's not like being a 2 team state would hurt the hogs

HoopS

One step closer with the win today. Play at noon tomorrow I think.

Sivad

Quote from: phadedhawg on March 12, 2016, 01:32:33 pm
We aren't getting all the key in state recruits anymore...
Quite the understatement.
In any event, wishing UALR well, they don't publicly complain, moan, whine and disparage the Hogs the way their brethren in Jonesboro do.

root_hawg

Wish them well, hope they win so we have someone to root for in the tourney but they wont ever replace the hogs

greasy_corner

How many people read jim harris?  Probably much less than Razorback basketball averaged this year. 

Go get a real job.   

SportsLife

Quote from: root_hawg on March 12, 2016, 06:15:41 pm
Wish them well, hope they win so we have someone to root for in the tourney but they wont ever replace the hogs

40 minutes away from giving us all somebody to pull for in the tourney...

http://www.sportinglifearkansas.com/jim-harris-trojans-within-40-minutes-of-fifth-ncaa-tourney-bid/

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Sivad on March 12, 2016, 04:05:09 pm
Quite the understatement.
In any event, wishing UALR well, they don't publicly complain, moan, whine and disparage the Hogs the way their brethren in Jonesboro do.

They do when their little team wins some games. I lived in LR back when Nolan was here. The Trojans were in their second straight tourney as were the Hogs. It was the first year of Mayberry and Day. The mouthing being done by supposed Hog fans in that area of the state was ridiculous. In the papers, in your face, it didn't matter.

I would watch the televised Hog games in our apartment. Every single twerp who had grown up around LR would laugh at me and make fun of Richardson and the team. It was sickening.

This is literally a rehash of then from what I can see and I am more than sure it will turn out just like it did back then.

ShadowHawg

hobhog

UALR will never replace Hogs but there is room for them to have success. I went to a couple of games and it's a very nice arena and fun- I pull for them. But it's a community school and no threat to UA.

Silly to think otherwise

root_hawg

popcornhog

Second tier? Aren't they like 4th tier? The hogs aren't even 2nd tier.
WPS

azhog10

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

root_hawg

Seminole Indian

Losing Beard was a loss for the SBC, not just UALR. Their program appears to be in good shape, so hopefully they can build on the success of this year.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

root_hawg

Wes F will be their next coach; perhaps an attempt to build some stability

DeltaBoy

As a Student at UALR from 1986-1991 it was great to see the Trojans win so much and it was great time for us as students.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

root_hawg