Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

John Brady Era Ended at A-State

Started by Seminole Indian, March 06, 2016, 08:11:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Seminole Indian

Will not make the tournament for the second year in a row, after a 80-73 road loss to  Appalachian State on Saturday, so he is allowed to just fade away, after announcing his retirement at the start of the season. Finished with 121 wins, in eight years at A-State.

"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

DeltaBoy

I guess the fire in the belly is gone for him.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Seminole Indian on March 06, 2016, 08:11:24 am
Will not make the tournament for the second year in a row, after a 80-73 road loss to  Appalachian State on Saturday, so he is allowed to just fade away, after announcing his retirement at the start of the season. Finished with 121 wins, in eight years at A-State.

Successor been announced?
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Seminole Indian

No.

The JB Sun filed a FOI and published a list of people that had applied but that is all we know (only names I knew that had applied were Darrel Walker, Stan Heath, and some former A-State basketball players). Some candidates teams are involved in the NCAA tournament, so maybe not until that plays out.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Dropkick

Hire Pelphrey. I would love to see him get another shot somewhere.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Dropkick on March 09, 2016, 05:04:54 pm
Hire Pelphrey. I would love to see him get another shot somewhere.

never going to happen........
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Seminole Indian

Visited AStateNation.com, and found a link to Hoopdirt.com about some possible candidates:

Stan Heath – Assistant Coach Boston College.  Former head coach at Arkansas, South Florida, and Kent State.  Has an overall career record of 209-207 in 13 seasons as a DI head coach.  Also served as an assistant Tom Izzo at Michigan State.

Bob Cantu – Assistant Coach UTEP.  In his third season with the Miners, and 19th overall as a college coach.  Spent twelve seasons as an assistant at USC where he served as the interim head coach for the final 15 games of the 2012-13 season.

Butch Pierre – Associate Head Coach Oklahoma State.  Has been on the staff at OSU since 2008.  Also spent 11 years as an assistant at LSU where he worked for John Brady, and spent 10 games as the interim head coach for the Tigers after Brady was released.

Darrell Walker – Former Raptors and Wizards Head Coach.  Ten-year NBA veteran (1983-93).  In addition to his stints as an NBA coach, has also been an assistant with the Hornets, Pistons, and Knicks.  Played at both Arkansas and Arkansas-Fort Smith.

Dwayne Stephens – Associate Head Coach Michigan State.  Has been with Tom Izzo for the past 13 seasons.  The former Spartan also spent 1999-2003 working for Tom Crean at Marquette.

Steve Lutz – Assistant Coach Creighton.  A Texas native who has been at Creighton since 2010.  Has also been an assistant at SMU and Stephen F. Austin.

http://hoopdirt.com/arkansas-state-dirt-2/

GolfNut57

Quote from: Seminole Indian on March 10, 2016, 07:55:52 am
Visited AStateNation.com, and found a link to Hoopdirt.com about some possible candidates:

Stan Heath – Assistant Coach Boston College.  Former head coach at Arkansas, South Florida, and Kent State.  Has an overall career record of 209-207 in 13 seasons as a DI head coach.  Also served as an assistant Tom Izzo at Michigan State.

Bob Cantu – Assistant Coach UTEP.  In his third season with the Miners, and 19th overall as a college coach.  Spent twelve seasons as an assistant at USC where he served as the interim head coach for the final 15 games of the 2012-13 season.

Butch Pierre – Associate Head Coach Oklahoma State.  Has been on the staff at OSU since 2008.  Also spent 11 years as an assistant at LSU where he worked for John Brady, and spent 10 games as the interim head coach for the Tigers after Brady was released.

Darrell Walker – Former Raptors and Wizards Head Coach.  Ten-year NBA veteran (1983-93).  In addition to his stints as an NBA coach, has also been an assistant with the Hornets, Pistons, and Knicks.  Played at both Arkansas and Arkansas-Fort Smith.

Dwayne Stephens – Associate Head Coach Michigan State.  Has been with Tom Izzo for the past 13 seasons.  The former Spartan also spent 1999-2003 working for Tom Crean at Marquette.

Steve Lutz – Assistant Coach Creighton.  A Texas native who has been at Creighton since 2010.  Has also been an assistant at SMU and Stephen F. Austin.

http://hoopdirt.com/arkansas-state-dirt-2/

The only viable candidate from that list is Stephens. The rest are not going to happen. Especially Darrell Walker. ASU is not going to repeat UALR's mistake with Moncrief.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Seminole Indian

Per a poster on AStateNation.com, some more names:

http://www.scout.com/college/arkansas-state/forums/4546-scaife-city/14618857-hoopsdirt-com-astate-coaching-rumors-article

"Arkansas State: Last week, I published a list of candidates at Arkansas State (Arkansas State Dirt).  Word on the street is that interviews have started there and in addition to the names on the original list, there are a few others involved.  I've heard they are: Kurtis Townsend (assistant coach Kansas), Steve Henson (assistant coach Oklahoma), and Grant McCasland (assistant coach Baylor).  I've also heard that a current DI head coach is involved as well."

SuperSid4Ever

If Travis Ford is shown the door at Okie State, I can honestly see him coming to ASU.

pigture perfect

I hope they get a good one. I like A-State.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

GolfNut57

And it is Grant McCasland.......who is to be the next head basketball coach at ASU.

LZH

Wonder if ASU will pitch it's basketball program to prospective coaches the way they have with their football program....."come here, work hard & recruit well and in a few years you'll have a big time Power 5 gig."

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on March 15, 2016, 12:36:03 pm
Wonder if ASU will pitch it's basketball program to prospective coaches the way they have with their football program....."come here, work hard & recruit well and in a few years you'll have a big time Power 5 gig."

Doubtful, while high school basketball is big in NEA, it isn't at ASU. There were more people at some JHS games this year, than ASU's.

Dropkick

Total rebuild at ASU. It will be a tough job initially.

ricepig

Quote from: Dropkick on March 15, 2016, 03:49:02 pm
Total rebuild at ASU. It will be a tough job initially.

Yeah, I doubt he will get to do a total overhaul of the roster like at UALR.

GolfNut57

Quote from: ricepig on March 15, 2016, 02:40:52 pm
Doubtful, while high school basketball is big in NEA, it isn't at ASU. There were more people at some JHS games this year, than ASU's.

That was more indicative of peoples dislike for Brady and the product he was putting on the floor this year than it was of general interest in basketball at ASU. Now will McCasland return ASU to the days of averaging 8,000+ per game like they were doing during the peak of Catalina's days? Only time will tell. One thing is for sure though. People in and around Jonesboro and alumni around the state are hungry for something to support at ASU besides the football team. And a good mens basketball team would serve as a great filler in between football seasons.

GolfNut57

Quote from: ricepig on March 15, 2016, 04:31:50 pm
Yeah, I doubt he will get to do a total overhaul of the roster like at UALR.

I hope McCasland gets to do just that. There was some dead wood on that roster this year that don't deserve a shot at coming back next year.

SuperSid4Ever

Quote from: GolfNut57 on March 15, 2016, 04:41:09 pm
I hope McCasland gets to do just that. There was some dead wood on that roster this year that don't deserve a shot at coming back next year.

And there is nothing that will drag a team down more quickly than even a small sum of players half-way pulling their own weight.  It weighs on teamwork, discipline and morale all at the same time.

Schollies are renewable at the end of the year.  The new coach should have a pretty significant say in who stays and who transfers or joins the outta town club.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: SuperSid4Ever on March 15, 2016, 08:07:49 pm
And there is nothing that will drag a team down more quickly than even a small sum of players half-way pulling their own weight.  It weighs on teamwork, discipline and morale all at the same time.

Schollies are renewable at the end of the year.  The new coach should have a pretty significant say in who stays and who transfers or joins the outta town club.
I think the turnaround will be rather quick ( they have more than enough talent to compete in the SBC), and there is no doubt that their fans will back a winner.

IMO A-State has as much or more potential in basketball than football, and just need a spark, like Freeze was in football, to get the thing going.

mhuff

They were a Nutt to fire Nelson Catalina.

ricepig

Quote from: mhuff on March 17, 2016, 02:25:28 pm

Saw the Cat yesterday at a JHS baseball game.

GolfNut57

Quote from: mhuff on March 17, 2016, 02:25:28 pm

At the time it seemed like a good idea with the previous player revolt, decreasing wins and declining attendance.