Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Meeting Cost of Attendance (COA) Impact on Arkansas Schools

Started by Seminole Indian, April 11, 2015, 09:46:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Seminole Indian

April 11, 2015, 09:46:30 am Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 09:57:17 am by Seminole Indian
Kicks in this fall and I'm sure is already changing the 'dynamics' of recruiting around the country.

Not expecting this to effect the Non-FBS football programs in Arkansas Schools, because most don't take players from FBS schools anyway, but am interested in seeing it's effect on men's basketball.

Per this article Arkansas ($4002) is one of at least 15 athletics programs to offer more than $4,000 in Extra Aid to Athletes under the new cost of attendance.

http://chronicle.com/article/At-Least-15-Athletics-Programs/229229/

Also per this article,"Ten other athletics programs have plans to distribute at least $4,000 more in aid.". While I have not read the official release from Arkansas State, they are expected to be one of them at around $4500.

Looks like Arkansas (one of the top P5's), and Arkansas State (one of the top G5's) when it comes to recruiting student athletes in football, plan on being more than competitive with their competition.

"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on April 11, 2015, 09:46:30 am
Kicks in this fall and I'm sure is already changing the 'dynamics' of recruiting around the country.

Not expecting this to effect the Non-FBS football programs in Arkansas Schools, because most don't take players from FBS schools anyway, but am interested in seeing it's effect on men's basketball.

Per this article Arkansas ($4002) is one of at least 15 athletics programs to offer more than $4,000 in Extra Aid to Athletes under the new cost of attendance.

http://chronicle.com/article/At-Least-15-Athletics-Programs/229229/

Also per this article,"Ten other athletics programs have plans to distribute at least $4,000 more in aid.". While I have not read the official release from Arkansas State, they are expected to be one of them at around $4500.

Looks like Arkansas (one of the top P5's), and Arkansas State (one of the top G5's) when it comes to recruiting student athletes in football, plan on being more than competitive with their competition.

I assume you read the article?? The athletic department's aren't setting this, it's a federal guideline that affects every student on campus.

Seminole Indian

Your lost me. This article was about college athletics.

"The money, part of a new spending allowance approved in January by the five biggest conferences, allows Division I colleges to cover the full cost of players' scholarships. Previously, colleges could cover only the cost of a basic scholarship — tuition, fees, room and board, and books."

and

"But at least one athletics official said that it would be difficult to persuade the admissions office to increase the university's cost-of-attendance allowance, even if it would benefit the athletics department."
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

ricepig

The cost of attendance is a federally mandated item. It appears in every brochure, ad, website, and publication. I'm telling you that Arkansas or Bama can't say it costs $35,000, when it cost $23,000. They can, but then they run the risk of losing regular students, student loans, grants, etc...

Seminole Indian

Quote from: ricepig on April 11, 2015, 11:29:20 am
The cost of attendance is a federally mandated item. It appears in every brochure, ad, website, and publication. I'm telling you that Arkansas or Bama can't say it costs $35,000, when it cost $23,000. They can, but then they run the risk of losing regular students, student loans, grants, etc...
I agree 100% with that, but really don't think it changes the fact some schools will have to pay more to cover the full cost of attendance.

Eventually, each FBS Conference may set up guidelines that each school in it has to met, but right now no school is  forced to meet the 'full' cost of attendance.

Arkansas, and A-State are going to do so.

While I'm sure the athletes the Razorbacks are interested in are all being recruited by schools that will pay the full cost, that is not the case with those being recruited by A-State.

Seminole Indian

April 11, 2015, 01:48:01 pm #6 Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 02:57:39 pm by Seminole Indian
Very nice article, and thanks had not seen it. 

That there are a lot of details to be hashed out just muddies the water for me, because my only point in using the article( because I saw it used to open discussion on the competitive effect of the new 'stipends' on another site)  was to discuss the impact on Arkansas.

Fact is the two schools with FBS programs are going to cover the 'full cost of attendance' , and pay more than most to do so.

I do think it is more of an advantage to A-State than any other Arkansas school, and may end up helping FBS schools where the 'out of pocket cost' for their student athletes are higher than the schools they compete against.

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on April 11, 2015, 01:48:01 pm
Very nice article, and thanks had not seen it. 

That there are a lot of details to be hashed out just muddies the water for me, because my only point in using the article( because I saw it used to open discussion on the competitive effect of the new 'stipends' on another site)  was to discuss the impact on Arkansas.

Fact is the two schools with FBS programs are going to cover the 'full cost of attendance' , and pay more than most to do so.

I do think it is more of an advantage to A-State than any other Arkansas school, and may end up helping FBS schools where the 'out of pocket cost' for their student athletes are higher than the schools they compete against.

Doubtful, there won't be kids not go to USC and come to Arkansas or some other school over $2500. They'll just make sure the "handshakes" are numerous.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: ricepig on April 11, 2015, 03:46:17 pm
Doubtful, there won't be kids not go to USC and come to Arkansas or some other school over $2500. They'll just make sure the "handshakes" are numerous.
For the "super stars" that will probably always be true.

There have oodles of  athletes from economically disadvantaged backgrounds  that had offers from the likes of USC, and UCLA, but had to settle for an Ole Miss, or Mississippi State because  the "out of pocket expenses" associated with taking advantage of the extra-curricular activities at those schools was to much, even with the occasional 'handshake'.

A poor athlete finds the few extra $ they have go further in places like Auburn, and Tuscaloosa, Alabama, Oxford and Starkville, Mississippi, and even Lexington Kentucky, and Fayetteville, Arkansas, and the girls just as pretty,and much easier on the pocket book.

The coaches at those schools have no intention of this changing, because it would be bad for business.

Also why the SEC, which has a number of schools located in less than ideal locations, chose to take the lead in crafting this effort, and lucky for A-State has taken the SBC along for the ride( there is a reason the SEC Commissioner let the SBC Commissioner announce that all the major conferences were on board with this).

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on April 11, 2015, 04:47:59 pm
For the "super stars" that will probably always be true.

There have oodles of  athletes from economically disadvantaged backgrounds  that had offers from the likes of USC, and UCLA, but had to settle for an Ole Miss, or Mississippi State because  the "out of pocket expenses" associated with taking advantage of the extra-curricular activities at those schools was to much, even with the occasional 'handshake'.

A poor athlete finds the few extra $ they have go further in places like Auburn, and Tuscaloosa, Alabama, Oxford and Starkville, Mississippi, and even Lexington Kentucky, and Fayetteville, Arkansas, and the girls just as pretty,and much easier on the pocket book.

The coaches at those schools have no intention of this changing, because it would be bad for business.

Also why the SEC, which has a number of schools located in less than ideal locations, chose to take the lead in crafting this effort, and lucky for A-State has taken the SBC along for the ride( there is a reason the SEC Commissioner let the SBC Commissioner announce that all the major conferences were on board with this).

I bet it doesn't make a bit of difference in who the top 25 recruiting teams will be.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: ricepig on April 11, 2015, 05:33:17 pm

I bet it doesn't make a bit of difference in who the top 25 recruiting teams will be.
It might open up opportunities for the token G5 not named Boise, or in the AAC, or enable a bottom feeder P5 an occasional visit ,but other than that I agree. Its impact will probably be felt more at the bottom of the P5, and the G5.

A-State lost a couple of recruits to the low-hanging-fruit of the P5 late last year in part because they bum-rushed them with the idea that as P5's they could pay more, which may not be the case. They may have been  just as well off, if not better off, $ wise to have stuck with A-State.

Again it comes down to what is in the players  wallet when all is said and done, because they talk to the recruits.

This will sort itself out over time, and probably to the advantage of the SEC, and those they chose to take along for the ride.