Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Does The Recent Success Of A-State Football Say About Arkansas' In-State Recruiting?

Started by sportster365, January 06, 2014, 12:04:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sportster365

Are our guys being underrated or overlooked?

Those kids at A-State have proven to be winners despite whomever's making the calls. Sure they've had 2 really good coaches in Malzahn and Freeze, but even the best coaches need the proper tools to work with.

If Arkansas is going to go state to state settling for 3*  then we might as well get stay right here at home and get some kids who TRULY want to be Razorbacks. I mean it could be just me, but it seems you get more out of an in-state kid who's grown up a Hog fan.... Bobby Portis is a prime example.

Pork Twain

It proves that A-State is in the Sunbelt, not the SEC.  A 3* in Florida or Texass is likely much better than a 3* in Arkansas, based on level of competition alone.  It is also about fit.  Far too often we saw HDN offer every in-state kid out there even if they all played the same position.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

1highhog

I'm going to say, and this is not going to be popular with those that follow rankings and such, that there are many young men in Arkansas that simply get overlooked.  I personally feel as though you could go to the Pine Bluff area, recruit from Dollarway, Whitehall, and the Zebras and come away with high profile players to go toe to toe with any group of players that you could hand pick in the rest of the State with a little weight training.  I see great talent slip through the cracks there every year.

Pork Twain

Quote from: 1highhog on January 06, 2014, 12:33:56 pm
I'm going to say, and this is not going to be popular with those that follow rankings and such, that there are many young men in Arkansas that simply get overlooked.  I personally feel as though you could go to the Pine Bluff area, recruit from Dollarway, Whitehall, and the Zebras and come away with high profile players to go toe to toe with any group of players that you could hand pick in the rest of the State with a little weight training.  I see great talent slip through the cracks there every year.
Where do they usually end up playing?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

ricepig

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: sportster365 on January 06, 2014, 12:04:48 pm
Are our guys being underrated or overlooked?

Those kids at A-State have proven to be winners despite whomever's making the calls. Sure they've had 2 really good coaches in Malzahn and Freeze, but even the best coaches need the proper tools to work with.

If Arkansas is going to go state to state settling for 3*  then we might as well get stay right here at home and get some kids who TRULY want to be Razorbacks. I mean it could be just me, but it seems you get more out of an in-state kid who's grown up a Hog fan.... Bobby Portis is a prime example.

A McD's AA is your example?

In terms of Arkansas recruiting, I would think when most of us are discussing in state recruiting, we are looking at it from an SEC point of view.  From an SEC point of view, the state produces comparatively little.  However, if you want to expand it to include Sun Belt and lower auto qualifying conference programs, our state does pretty good in producing players.  The state may only produce 6-8 SEC level players but it can produce 15 more who can contribute at an ASU or ULM or LT.  And programs like Ok St, Iowa, Illinois, Vandy, Memphis etc come in and get players as well occasionally.  And yes, every once in a while it turns out that a player could have been a very good Razorback in the SEC.  A week or so ago, I watched the highlight of the qb from Morrilton.  Good looking athlete.  Arkansas has a lot of them.  Knighten was one of those.  Just relative to the UA's competition, the state doesn't produce.

As far as offering in state kids, I'm good with it if it looks like all things are close to even with other recruits or if we have an opening for some reason near signing day.  Give an in state kid the opportunity like Marshall got. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Tripod1

TNhawgfan

You don't think Arkansas could beat ball state? It's not like they beat bama
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

1highhog

Quote from: ricepig on January 06, 2014, 12:45:24 pm
Yeah, he seemed to fail to mention where they played their D-I ball.

I didn't FAIL to mention it guys, they fall through the cracks, many do around the State each year.  It's not just the Pine Bluff area, that's just and area I KNOW our recruiters have failed to recruit in many years, I know this for fact, because they haven't been seen there at games.  They have to show up at games to see these boys play, if they're not there, our guys are not recruiting the area.  I'm hoping that our new staff sees this which I think they will.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: TNhawgfan on January 06, 2014, 12:58:59 pm
You don't think Arkansas could beat ball state? It's not like they beat bama
Which Arkansas team? Their appeared to be more than one this season. The good one could beat most FBS teams, the bad one would struggle against a solid FCS team.

Both the Razorbacks and Wolves were up and down this year which I contribute to having new coaches and youth.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

lumphog

1highhog is right, there are some very good athletes being overlooked. Look at the Arkansans that make it to the NFL & how many of them DIDN'T play for the Hogs.

ricepig

Quote from: 1highhog on January 06, 2014, 01:28:08 pm
I didn't FAIL to mention it guys, they fall through the cracks, many do around the State each year.  It's not just the Pine Bluff area, that's just and area I KNOW our recruiters have failed to recruit in many years, I know this for fact, because they haven't been seen there at games.  They have to show up at games to see these boys play, if they're not there, our guys are not recruiting the area.  I'm hoping that our new staff sees this which I think they will.

Truthfully, they don't do a whole lot of showing up at a game to recruit, especially undeveloped talent. I've seen college coaches at a few games, but it was mostly to be seen, talk with the head coach, and maybe talk with the player, and this was for kids with offers. Arkansas will have few Friday nights where the coaches will be able to attend in-store games, they are going to the ones they've offered, or who have already committed.

Pork Twain

The coaches are going to naturally recruit areas where there is a larger number of SEC level recruits.  If this was such a hotbed, it would seem that at least one BCS school would have picked up on it.

twistitup

It more than about football talent....test scores / academics / off field issues can play a big part in who gets recruited
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

1highhog

Quote from: twistitup on January 06, 2014, 01:53:59 pm
It more than about football talent....test scores / academics / off field issues can play a big part in who gets recruited

I know, and Pine Bluff has not been the best at that.  But you guys if you follow HSF which I know you all 3 do that have commented on this, BeoPig, ricepig, and twistitup, do, then you should know that it doesn't always mean that if players in Arkansas from even lower classification schools, or if no other BCS program is not instate looking at a particular player then that must mean they're no good for us.  The bad thing about most Arkansas kids, especially Central and those from LA, they lack what most high school programs have like in NWA.  They lack the weight training and many of them proper Coaching.  But even I, and I'm nothing of a recruiter of talent and know knowing about recruiting like y'all do, I know enough to spot a kid that when he first starts out playing he's just better than everyone else.  I notice that with the Warren kids when I go there for games, you can just see the ones that's going to excel if given the proper coaching, and in Warren they get great Coaching.  In Pine Bluff there is a slow turn around, the programs are getting back on the right track again.  I think in the next couple of years well see hopefully our staff recruit some up and coming players off of the Dollarway team as well as the Zebras, given time, there's some very good D-1 prospects on both of these teams coming up now.  By the way, I value all 3 of y'all's opinions, so keep us informed on Recruiting here as this month progresses.

ricepig

Quote from: 1highhog on January 06, 2014, 02:16:05 pm
I know, and Pine Bluff has not been the best at that.  But you guys if you follow HSF which I know you all 3 do that have commented on this, BeoPig, ricepig, and twistitup, do, then you should know that it doesn't always mean that if players in Arkansas from even lower classification schools, or if no other BCS program is not instate looking at a particular player then that must mean they're no good for us.  The bad thing about most Arkansas kids, especially Central and those from LA, they lack what most high school programs have like in NWA.  They lack the weight training and many of them proper Coaching.  But even I, and I'm nothing of a recruiter of talent and know knowing about recruiting like y'all do, I know enough to spot a kid that when he first starts out playing he's just better than everyone else.  I notice that with the Warren kids when I go there for games, you can just see the ones that's going to excel if given the proper coaching, and in Warren they get great Coaching.  In Pine Bluff there is a slow turn around, the programs are getting back on the right track again.  I think in the next couple of years well see hopefully our staff recruit some up and coming players off of the Dollarway team as well as the Zebras, given time, there's some very good D-1 prospects on both of these teams coming up now.  By the way, I value all 3 of y'all's opinions, so keep us informed on Recruiting here as this month progresses.

What they need is to be seen, either go to camps, their team going to camps, or some type of show camp. I know you will hear, they don't have a ride, or money to go to these camps, that's where their high school coach is letting them down. If he can't go, there is usually someone connected to these kids that can. Some of these are free, or have a minimal registration fee.

JackJohnson

Arkansas State has had exactly 1 player drafted each of the past 7 years.  Yes they have gotten some good talent from Ark but looks to me we are just as likely to get an overlooked player from Mississippi as we are from Ark IF we are going to make some kind of correlation from their success to recruiting

SS Don Jones 7th round pick 250 overall- from Alabama via Mississippi junior college

OLB Demario Davis 3rd round pick 77 overall- from Mississippi

OT Derek Newton 7th round pick 214 overall- from Mississippi

DE Alex Carrington 3rd round pick 72 overall- from Mississippi

TE David (DJ) Johnson 7th round pick 240 overall- from Pine Bluff

S Tyrell Johnson 2nd round pick 43 overall- from Rison

FB Oren O'Neal 6th round pick 175 overall- from Stuttgart

Seminole Indian

Quote from: JackJohnson on January 06, 2014, 02:25:06 pm
Arkansas State has had exactly 1 player drafted each of the past 7 years.  Yes they have gotten some good talent from Ark but looks to me we are just as likely to get an overlooked player from Mississippi as we are from Ark IF we are going to make some kind of correlation from their success to recruiting

SS Don Jones 7th round pick 250 overall- from Alabama via Mississippi junior college

OLB Demario Davis 3rd round pick 77 overall- from Mississippi

OT Derek Newton 7th round pick 214 overall- from Mississippi

DE Alex Carrington 3rd round pick 72 overall- from Mississippi

TE David (DJ) Johnson 7th round pick 240 overall- from Pine Bluff

S Tyrell Johnson 2nd round pick 43 overall- from Rison

FB Oren O'Neal 6th round pick 175 overall- from Stuttgart
Don't think you have to be an NFL talent to be considered a good college football player.

"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Seminole Indian

While there is no doubt ASU has benefited from the fact the Razorbacks do not recruit as many players from Arkansas as in the past, they only had 2 starters on offense and 2 on defense from the state, last night( although Knighten came in and played well).

three of the four had an SEC offer and only Colton Jackson  fell through the cracks in recruiting, and he almost got a Razorback offer:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Artez-Brown-92246;_ylt=AqatigRKNWGsi2QgJ3iH4bxDPZB4

http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Kyle-Coleman-99997;_ylt=AiHX3ikfsZivaTLAFEkxBAZDPZB4

http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Darion-Griswold-80042;_ylt=AjfP2kxqOpdJQPeVqFa0WjpDPZB4

http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Colton-Jackson-133005;_ylt=An56EB2DMAUrfboO4BUhqq9DPZB4

TNhawgfan

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on January 06, 2014, 02:17:43 pm
no, they could not have beaten ball state. They barely beat Samford for crap sake
We were bad for SEC and Arkansas standards this year, but ^ is dumb. We would have beat ball state
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

tophawg19

One thing that will change as CBB gets to know ark. H/S coaches is that they will be able to pick up a phone and call about a recruit . then follow it up with video. that is the biggest advantage of having long term coaches . their knowledge if the H/S Coaches opens many doors . sometimes another teams coach will call about a kid they just played against.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Piggfoot

Quote from: lumphog on January 06, 2014, 01:39:07 pm
1highhog is right, there are some very good athletes being overlooked. Look at the Arkansans that make it to the NFL & how many of them DIDN'T play for the Hogs.
Yes there are. In the past Arkansas overlooked Willie Roaf and more recently
Cedric Benson from Star City who went to South Arkansas University and is presently starting defensive end for Philadelphia. While Willie had the money to attend camps some of the kids in south Arkansas don't. Some people don't realize it's not as easy for some to make those camps. And some make light of a five or six hour trip especially if your mother and dad work and can't get off.
I'm glad Austin Capps is getting noticed.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Pork Twain

Quote from: qdoc on January 06, 2014, 03:42:28 pm
Yes there are. In the past Arkansas overlooked Willie Roaf and more recently
Cedric Benson from Star City who went to South Arkansas University and is presently starting defensive end for Philadelphia. While Willie had the money to attend camps some of the kids in south Arkansas don't. Some people don't realize it's not as easy for some to make those camps. And some make light of a five or six hour trip especially if your mother and dad work and can't get off.
I'm glad Austin Capps is getting noticed.
It is and always will be, impossible to find all of the diamonds though

sportster365

Quote from: BeoPig™ on January 06, 2014, 03:51:39 pm
I'm not so sure its all the diamond in the rough sort of thing, as much as it is... oh I'd rather risk my chances on this kid from Arizona who's showing interest.... I suppose in some ways perception is reality. Since the national perception is talent in Arkansas is pretty much minimal to low at best then I guess you can't blame the coach or fans for looking elsewhere year after year.

ricepig

Quote from: sportster365 on January 06, 2014, 04:03:04 pm
I'm not so sure its all the diamond in the rough sort of thing, as much as it is... oh I'd rather risk my chances on this kid from Arizona who's showing interest.... I suppose in some ways perception is reality. Since the national perception is talent in Arkansas is pretty much minimal to low at best then I guess you can't blame the coach or fans for looking elsewhere year after year.

Or is it, this kid in Arizona is a known commodity, while this kid in Bugtussle looks good against Fifty-Six? It's exposure, and there has to be someone to help with it.

the_kosher_pig

Once a successful redshirt program is instilled you'll start seeing "more" DI athletes in Southern Arkansas.  The problem is the talent is there just not the coaching.  If you've ever watched Pine Bluff play you'll see EVERY year there are a few DI athletes. 

I've watched West Monroe/Ouachita play for years.  Pine Bluff has almost as much raw talent. 
Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on August 24, 2012, 11:24:06 am
Or unless your and idiot that is just trying to stir things up.

Mike Irwin

So Arkansas is losing in the SEC because they don't recruit enough Arkansas HS players while ASU is winning in the Sun Belt because they do?

Part two of that premise may be true. Part one is not.

Arkansas needs more quality out of state signees, not fewer.

yraciv

I'd still like names, and don't tell me they never qualified so they've yet to see a college field. Those happen around the country.

yraciv

Quote from: Seminole Indian on January 06, 2014, 02:39:46 pm
While there is no doubt ASU has benefited from the fact the Razorbacks do not recruit as many players from Arkansas as in the past, they only had 2 starters on offense and 2 on defense from the state, last night( although Knighten came in and played well).

three of the four had an SEC offer and only Colton Jackson  fell through the cracks in recruiting, and he almost got a Razorback offer:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Artez-Brown-92246;_ylt=AqatigRKNWGsi2QgJ3iH4bxDPZB4

http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Kyle-Coleman-99997;_ylt=AiHX3ikfsZivaTLAFEkxBAZDPZB4

http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Darion-Griswold-80042;_ylt=AjfP2kxqOpdJQPeVqFa0WjpDPZB4

http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Colton-Jackson-133005;_ylt=An56EB2DMAUrfboO4BUhqq9DPZB4

Do we have to go through committable offers again? Griswold wanted to play basketball, so you were gifted that one. Artez is a good one who might have slid into a BCS school, but wanted to stay home and most didn't know where to put him. So 'll give you that one, although I'm still not sure he'd be a good SEC cornerback.

Mike Irwin

no, they could not have beaten ball state. They barely beat Samford for crap sake

Nonsense.

Arkansas beat Louisiana-Lafayette 34-14 in Fayetteville. Louisiana-Lafayette beat Arkansas State 23-7 in Jonesboro.

Don't bring the SEC, any SEC team, into a discussion about the Sun Belt.

sportster365

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 06, 2014, 04:10:58 pm

Arkansas needs more quality out of state signees, not fewer.

We all can agree we need more quality signees, whether in-state or out. My point is what's the use in racking up on a slew of unrated JUCOs and 3* from who knows where when we can get the same caliber 3* star player right here. Someone who's hungry to put on the Razorback Red and who isn't just looking to find what he can gain from the program but interesting in finding what he can bring to the program.

yraciv

I liked the All Arkansas Tyrell Johnson and Khayam Burns safety combo a while back and thought those guys could have been formidable in the SEC. Other than that, I'd have to reach on Arkansas "ASU products" that could have helped.

Piggfoot

Quote from: BeoPig™ on January 06, 2014, 03:51:39 pm
You're correct and to be fair, both of these players were projects. In Willie's case he didn't really care for football until he was about to graduate,. and Cedric was a undrafted free agent.
As I see it the problem is a lack of determining potential from those whose job it is to report on these players. Basically, the reporters report the stats if the coaches fax them the information and that's the extent of it in many cases.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

ricepig

Quote from: the_kosher_pig on January 06, 2014, 04:08:59 pm
Once a successful redshirt program is instilled you'll start seeing "more" DI athletes in Southern Arkansas.  The problem is the talent is there just not the coaching.  If you've ever watched Pine Bluff play you'll see EVERY year there are a few DI athletes. 

I've watched West Monroe/Ouachita play for years.  Pine Bluff has almost as much raw talent. 

Hmmm.. They do this year, but I don't know about lately. Claude was ok, but he didn't elicit too many offers.

WooPig90

Way to only look at one angle, that was the beginning of the year with many freshman and a new QB. Also what about ULL? Did you see that we beat them and Astate lost to them? What about us barely losing to LSU in Baton Rouge? What about all that? Go troll somewhere else

Pork Twain

Quote from: sportster365 on January 06, 2014, 04:03:04 pm
Isn't that kinda the definition of a kid from a small school that is overlooked by bigger programs?

Mike Irwin

Quote from: sportster365 on January 06, 2014, 04:28:10 pm
We all can agree we need more quality signees, whether in-state or out. My point is Someone who's hungry to put on the Razorback Red and who isn't just looking to find what he can gain from the program but interesting in finding what he can bring to the program.
I'm not going to name them because I never want to embarrass players but I can think of several supposedly "hungry" in-state kids in the program right now who can't get off the bench because they're not good enough to help this team win SEC games.

If you want to argue that they need to recruit better out-of-state players or that they need to stop losing top in-state players to Alabama, I'll agree. But the secret to winning SEC games does not boil down to signing more in-state players, not unless they are players that other SEC teams want.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 06, 2014, 04:56:21 pm
I'm not going to name them because I never want to embarrass players but I can think of several supposedly "hungry" in-state kids in the program right now who can't get off the bench because they're not good enough to help this team win SEC games.

If you want to argue that they need to recruit better out-of-state players or that they need to stop losing top in-state players to Alabama, I'll agree. But the secret to winning SEC games does not boil down to signing more in-state players, not unless they are players that other SEC teams want.

Well said...

Seminole Indian

Quote from: yraciv on January 06, 2014, 04:20:29 pm
Do we have to go through committable offers again? Griswold wanted to play basketball, so you were gifted that one. Artez is a good one who might have slid into a BCS school, but wanted to stay home and most didn't know where to put him. So 'll give you that one, although I'm still not sure he'd be a good SEC cornerback.
You lost me, but I suspect you are just another spin doctor. 

ASU has a roster full of  players on scholarship that waited to long hoping 'their' #1  school would offer and found out the other schools recruiting them had moved on. Know that happened to 'Money' Hunter last year, and ASU gets a lot of kids from this state because of that reason.

Also players who turn down other AQ offers get left standing at the alter , happened to the DE that played this year as a true at ASU.

Almost every year ASU signs players  after the National Signing date because they did not have their test score in time, but would have signed with an high profile AQ school if they had. Two played as trues, before getting hurt this year.

Know Brown reportedly held an offer by the Razorbacks early on committed to Ole Miss and they moved on.  Ole Miss late in the process tried to get him to 'grey shirt' so they could sign a better prospect so he switched to ASU, and Ole Miss missed on the other player .

Read on this site that Jackson visited the Razorbacks and was told he may or may not be offered and waited until the Hawgs said no before committing to ASU.

Coleman, who was playing QB had several AQ offers, that he declined over the course of the recruiting cycle.

For the record almost every ASU recruit have far more offers, mostly from other good G5 programs, than are shown on the National sites.

Sure the Razorback signing classes are filled with similar stories, about players they sign that were recruited by schools ahead of them on the food chain.

elksnort

Seminole Indian

Quote from: elksnort on January 06, 2014, 05:44:41 pm
This ASU team seems to have many of its playmakers from Alabama.
Their defense was almost all Alabama last night at times.

ASU was again able to able to redshirt players, many fro Alabama, that before the Malzahn, Freeze, Harsin era would never have signed with ASU much less redshirted.

Hogarusa

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

yraciv

Quote from: Seminole Indian on January 06, 2014, 05:33:46 pm
You lost me, but I suspect you are just another spin doctor. 

ASU has a roster full of  players on scholarship that waited to long hoping 'their' #1  school would offer and found out the other schools recruiting them had moved on. Know that happened to 'Money' Hunter last year., and ASU gets a lot of kids from this state because of that reason.

Also players who turn down other AQ offers get left standing at the alter , happened to the DE that played this year as a true at ASU.

ASU had several players that signed  after the National Signing date because they did not have their test score in time, but would have signed with an high profile AQ school if they had. Two played as trues, before getting hurt.

Know Brown reportedly held an offer by the Razorbacks early on committed to Ole Miss and they moved on.  Ole Miss late in the process tried to get him to 'grey shirt' so they could sign a better prospect so he switched to ASU, and Ole Miss missed on the other player .

Read on this site that Jackson visited the Razorbacks and was told he may or may not be offered and waited until the Hawgs said no before committing to ASU.

Coleman, who was playing QB had several AQ offers, that he declined over the course of the recruiting cycle.

For the record almost every ASU recruit have far more offers, mostly from other good G5 programs, than are shown on the National sites.

Sure the Razorback signing classes are filled with similar stories, about players they sign that were recruited by schools ahead of them on the food chain.

I know you have had some good players come through due to grades, off the field issues, etc. that could contribute in the SEC. Most of those players were not from the state of Arkansas. The amount of players on your roster from Arkansas that would have been impact players in the SEC are relatively low.  Yes there are some and I'm not an ASU expert so there might be more. There are kids littered on that roster that I liked their high school film, Knighten, Brown, Butterfield, Griswold, Leaphart, and Shearin. I only think Griswold would see snaps here!  There are a lot of homegrown Razorbacks that are riding the pine here too, just like Irwin said.

ASU fans always say we beat MS State, Louisville, or some other low major level school for a recruit.  This is rarely the case! I will give ASU props for their evaluation of prospects lately.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: yraciv on January 06, 2014, 05:56:23 pm
I know you have had some good players come through due to grades, off the field issues, etc. that could contribute in the SEC. Most of those players were not from the state of Arkansas. The amount of players on your roster from Arkansas that would have been impact players in the SEC are relatively low.  Yes there are some and I'm not an ASU expert so there might be more. There are kids littered on that roster that I liked their high school film, Knighten, Brown, Butterfield, Griswold, Leaphart, and Shearin. I only think Griswold would see snaps here!  There are a lot of homegrown Razorbacks that are riding the pine here too, just like Irwin said.

ASU fans always say we beat MS State, Louisville, or some other low major level school for a recruit.  This is rarely the case! I will give ASU props for their evaluation of prospects lately.
Five or six years ago more half of ASUs roster were players that ASU was their only FBS offer.

Now you are hard pressed to find a player on their roster that did not have  multiple FBS offers, and more than a few had AQ offers, that is  one of the tangible reasons, along with better coaches, I am predicting they are going to be one of the better G5 programs.
They are also keeping the players, if not the coaches in school.

hview

I'm glad we can discuss topics such as this openely. I believe there are players in the lower classifications with speed and athletic ability that could play at Arkansas, but they'll never get an opportunity due to limited publicity. They don't have the stars and they'll never be considered. Some of these kids could be recruited on potential, developed and moved to a position filling a critical need. A select few could have higher ceilings than higher rated players. There is risk doing this, but the reward might be high. This is just my opinion.   

Seminole Indian

Quote from: hview on January 06, 2014, 06:29:30 pm
I'm glad we can discuss topics such as this openely. I believe there are players in the lower classifications with speed and athletic ability that could play at Arkansas, but they'll never get an opportunity due to limited publicity. They don't have the stars and they'll never be considered. Some of these kids could be recruited on potential, developed and moved to a position filling a critical need. A select few could have higher ceilings than higher rated players. There is risk doing this, but the reward might be high. This is just my opinion.
What most people tend to forget is that schools have to recruit to their needs.

In Arkansas, ASU has learned to recruit the best available athlete(you will notice that two of the players starting for ASU, one as a TE and the other at LB were QB's in HS), because they know almost every year the Razorbacks will have to pass on players that they might have taken in another class.  The Razorbacks have also learned that it is in their best interest in many cases to delay breaking the bad news (they learned the hard way in basketball that you don't want a disgruntled Razorback wannabe at Ole Miss) to the instate prospect until the last minute. That has helped ASU big-time.

While there is no doubt ASU is getting players from Arkansas every year now that 5-10 years ago would have been taken by the Razorbacks, ASU best players are almost all from out of state, and they are getting better every year. That is a fact, and will be even more evident going forward.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Blue35 on January 06, 2014, 06:43:54 pm
Nothing substantial.
Well I started this discussion a few years ago on General Sports when I noticed ASU was beginning the sign a number of  quality players, that I thought would change their program, and wanted to see if anyone over here had noticed, and a few had. I think what has happened on the field has been pretty substantial, and even more have noticed.

What is happening in recruiting, at ASU now is even more impressive and,  I predict in the future even more will notice, and that it will be substantial. Hey, I gave you guys a heads up, and it was not just on General Sports.

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on January 06, 2014, 06:49:56 pm
While there is no doubt ASU is getting players from Arkansas every year now that 5-10 years ago would have been taken by the Razorbacks, ASU best players are almost all from out of state, and they are getting better every year. That is a fact, and will be even more evident going forward.

Yep, Arkansas isn't offering those kids.