Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas State thread

Started by Lanny, November 06, 2011, 06:05:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

wupigsuey

A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: elksnort on November 07, 2011, 06:33:25 pm
And it's a shame, because they have a nice team out there this year.
ASU has outstanding support compaired to other SBC teams, and MAC schools for that matter, attendance is improving and they have done so without putting a winning product on the field. The reason is the improved game atmosphere and tailgating because Jonesboro is now dry in name only.

The other thing is that they are attracting good players and coaches. Same thing in men's basketball.

The key to go to the other level is to start winning and going to bowl games regularly or get and invite to an AQ Conference. If the SEC needs a 15th or 16th let them know ASU is available.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

ark30inf

Quote from: Seminole Indian on November 07, 2011, 06:54:35 pm

The key to go to the other level is to start winning and going to bowl games regularly or get and invite to an AQ Conference.

Actually, the key to another level is money.  NEA is growing and improving economically, but it doesn't yet have a base of donors who can fund that jump.  Will either have to create some, or attract some. 

wupigsuey

ASU has outstanding support compaired to other SBC teams, and MAC schools for that matter, attendance is improving and they have done so without putting a winning product on the field. The reason is the improved game atmosphere and tailgating because Jonesboro is now dry in name only.

The other thing is that they are attracting good players and coaches. Same thing in men's basketball.

The key to go to the other level is to start winning and going to bowl games regularly or get and invite to an AQ Conference. If the SEC needs a 15th or 16th let them know ASU is available.

Be careful what you wish for there with joining the SEC. Glad you're doing well but you ain't SEC yet. I don't know if folks will come out to see ASU take a beating each week. Maybe just to see Alabama in Jonesboro.

Like you said just keep winning, the rest will come.
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

elksnort

Quote from: ark30inf on November 07, 2011, 07:06:13 pm
Actually, the key to another level is money.  NEA is growing and improving economically, but it doesn't yet have a base of donors who can fund that jump.  Will either have to create some, or attract some. 
this.  Is Freeze not the lowest laid HC in d-1 ball?
Enjoy Freeze's success while you can. He could be heading to Oxford. 

ark30inf

Quote from: wupigsuey on November 07, 2011, 07:06:45 pm
Be careful what you wish for there with joining the SEC. Glad you're doing well but you ain't SEC yet. I don't know if folks will come out to see ASU take a beating each week. Maybe just to see Alabama in Jonesboro.

Like you said just keep winning, the rest will come.

I don't think there are many of us ASU fans angling for SEC membership.

ark30inf

Quote from: elksnort on November 07, 2011, 07:27:17 pm
this.  Is Freeze not the lowest laid HC in d-1 ball?
Enjoy Freeze's success while you can. He could be heading to Oxford. 

Pretty much.  We have one of the lowest athletic budgets of any FBS program.  We have done pretty well for that budget even before Freeze...our attendance and record compared to outlay is about the best you could expect. 

I doubt Freeze will be going to Ole Miss this year unless they are even more nuts than I think they are (which is possible).  But Freeze will be going somewhere in the near future.  We will just have to select the next one wisely and try to become a stepping stone school until the growth in the NEA economy can start generating donors.

aredwolfrazorback

Quote from: ark30inf on November 07, 2011, 07:28:17 pm

I don't think there are many of us ASU fans angling for SEC membership.

Asu in the sec. Dear lord. We could keep up. With kentucky and ole miss but we
Would get nowhere after that. At least for now
With all the beers and all the cheers, I'm a hog fan for the rest of my years.

UA 2010
ASU 2008

ark30inf

Quote from: aredwolfrazorback on November 07, 2011, 07:38:48 pm
Asu in the sec. Dear lord. We could keep up. With kentucky and ole miss but we
Would get nowhere after that. At least for now

As everything stands right this second, ASU could beat Kentucky and Ole Miss....some percentage of the time.  Which is not bad considering our budget capabilities in comparison. 

Of course Troy and North Texas have both had very good Sun Belt runs and won bowl games but are still questionable in regard to moving up to a conference like CUSA.  The league as a whole has to improve before winning it consistently makes a real difference.  Good news is that the Sun Belt has indeed been improving the last couple of years.

Blue35

Quote from: ark30inf on November 07, 2011, 07:49:57 pm
As everything stands right this second, ASU could beat Kentucky and Ole Miss....some percentage of the time.  Which is not bad considering our budget capabilities in comparison. 
Indeed, Ark State has come a long way. Not too many years ago the engines were small college playing in a 5000 seat stadium, now they sometimes draw 29,000. That is truly progress. I have often been harsh on the Jonesboro bunch but they have represented our state very well.

ark30inf

Quote from: Blue35 on November 07, 2011, 08:08:05 pm
Indeed, Ark State has come a long way. Not too many years ago the engines were small college playing in a 5000 seat stadium, now they sometimes draw 29,000. That is truly progress. I have often been harsh on the Jonesboro bunch but they have represented our state very well.

All the D-I Arkansas teams are making a good run this year.  The state high school football is also getting better.

Kicking Wing

Quote from: Blue35 on November 07, 2011, 08:08:05 pm
That's true.  Too many people lack perspective and compare everything to the SEC.  ASU and UCA both are doing well in the stands and on the field amojng their peers.

Kicking Wing

Quote from: HoggyCat on November 07, 2011, 05:11:27 pm
Seminole Indian, I'm talking butts in the seats. Paid attendance and actual are two different things. The Tuesday night ESPN game a couple weeks ago wasn't even half capacity.

The Memphis and UCA games this year....NON conference games, and proximity was the reason so many were there. Show all the games from all those years and average it out. This year they're in control of the sun belt and still won't and can't fill that stadium.
THe count is pretty close to accurate these days and nobody gives actual attendance at any level.  Proximity had almost nothing to do with the crowds early on in the year.  Neither opponent brought more than 1000-1500.  PEople are showing up more and more every year and they draw the best in the first half of the year.  It's that way almost everywhere.

Don't be hateful.

clutch

I agree. I do a lot of free lance work on sports broadcasts. Last season one of the sideline reporters told me that ASU had the best/loudest Sunbelt crowds that she had seen. It's nothing compared to SEC or any other major conferences standards, but they are doing pretty good for where they are. Definitely a program on the rise right now.

Porkerpower

Sad part is, Freeze might be gone after his one and only year.  ASU will have to hire all over again.

But just maybe they learned to look for those young Malzhanite high school coaches, like the one waiting to explode onto the college scene in the next few years.  Forget his name, but he's coaching at some Texas high school right now. 

Somehow, they need to find the money to throw at Freeze to at least ATTEMPT to retain him for a couple more years.

Money is what they do not have though.   

codeHog

1. How many of ASU starters are from Arkansas?

2. ASU pays their coaches by riping off students who do not even go to games

3. You can get all the free tickets you want for any game

4. The former coach that built the team gets no credit

5. Ole Miss, in a major trade, is sending ASU coach Nutt for Freeze.

NaturalStateReb

ASU is probably going to win the Sun Belt and go to a bowl game this year.  Great news for a program that needs great news. 

Maybe Ole Miss and A-State can trade coaches.  lol

If there are defections from C-USA, I hope A-State can get one of those spots.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

clutch

Quote from: codeHog on November 07, 2011, 09:10:12 pm

1. Not many, but most are from the surrounding area.

2. How so? I think it is like $150 athletic fee and that includes all athletic events for the whole year. Students get in football, basketball, baseball games by showing their ID.

3. Agree.

4. Roberts? I think he gets a lot of credit for getting the program going in the right direction. He just hit a ceiling he couldn't break through.

5. Have a feeling that Ole Miss is coming after Freeze. Can't say that I blame them. I think that was their intention all along, and most ASU people knew that he would probably eventually get a call from them. I just don't think anybody expected it this soon. ASU doesn't offer big enough buyouts for Nutt haha.

ark30inf

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on November 07, 2011, 09:10:16 pm

Maybe Ole Miss and A-State can trade coaches.  lol

If there are defections from C-USA, I hope A-State can get one of those spots.

We have already had our "Nutt problem".

A slot in CUSA would probably be vetoed by Memphis.  I think that is dumb on Memphis's part because their fans show up for ASU and vice-versa and it is a natural rivalry.  But chances are they would veto if they could.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: ark30inf on November 07, 2011, 09:28:06 pm
We have already had our "Nutt problem".

A slot in CUSA would probably be vetoed by Memphis.  I think that is dumb on Memphis's part because their fans show up for ASU and vice-versa and it is a natural rivalry.  But chances are they would veto if they could.

Unless Memphis heads to the Big East at some point and A-State takes their place.  I think that would be ASU's dream scenario. 
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Kicking Wing

Quote from: codeHog on November 07, 2011, 09:10:12 pm

1.  There's a handful of starters from Arkansas and a lot waiting in the wings.  Why does that matter?

2.  Not even close.  ASU's student fees are lowere than UCA and several others in state and dwarfed by the fees charged by others in conference as well as in other conferences like CUSA.

3.  Also not true.  You might get s ticket or two from a friend or for a promotional event if you are a kid or miltiart or something.  Again, so what?

4.  He gets a lot of credit for building the program to a competitive level.  HE signed a lot of guys who made it to the NFL and showed ASU could compete with most teams.  He also couldn't win enough games with the talent he recruited whereas the new guy did it in the first season with Roberts' players.

5.  No trade.  I doubt Ole Miss makes a run at Freeze this year.  When he leaves it will be for a bigger job and it will be good for ASU because it will be proof you can win at ASU and move up the ladder.

Go peddle your spite somewhere else, young lad.

ark30inf

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on November 07, 2011, 09:31:22 pm
Unless Memphis heads to the Big East at some point and A-State takes their place.  I think that would be ASU's dream scenario. 

Memphis probably would be heading for the Big East right now if their football program had been even just mediocre.  They picked a bad time to go to the Bottom 10.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: ark30inf on November 07, 2011, 09:38:54 pm
Memphis probably would be heading for the Big East right now if their football program had been even just mediocre.  They picked a bad time to go to the Bottom 10.

Agree on that, but I think the Tigers could get on the Big East's board if the Big East continues to be a football conference and Louisville eventually jets for the Big 12.

spiritof92

Quote from: rampage72501 on November 07, 2011, 07:10:49 am
ULL's attendance is exactly why if ASU wins against ULL, the Red Wolves WILL NOT get the invite to the New Orleans Bowl. 

The SunBelt champ gets an automatic invite to the New Orleans Bowl.  That's why it is not uncommon for teams to hope for second place. 

Kicking Wing

Quote from: spiritof92 on November 07, 2011, 10:09:09 pm
The SunBelt champ gets an automatic invite to the New Orleans Bowl.  That's why it is not uncommon for teams to hope for second place. 
Incorrect.  The NO Bowl gets to pick and only has to take the champ once every three years.  What is wrong with New Orleans?  Beats the heck out of Shreveport or Boise or Detroit....

ark30inf

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on November 07, 2011, 09:56:26 pm
Agree on that, but I think the Tigers could get on the Big East's board if the Big East continues to be a football conference and Louisville eventually jets for the Big 12.

Memphis would definitely help shore up the Big East basketball cred.  They probably need to hold their nose and take them despite the football program.  The football program does have some potential if led correctly.

HoggyCat

Someone said their athletic fee is $150. Multiply that time enrollment of 10,000?? equals $1,500,000.

How much is Freeze making? How much comes in from boosters? How much does the athletic dept spend?
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

DeltaBoy

I am glad to see all the Colleges in Ark doing well in D-1 football.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Kicking Wing

Quote from: HoggyCat on November 09, 2011, 02:03:03 pm
Someone said their athletic fee is $150. Multiply that time enrollment of 10,000?? equals $1,500,000.

How much is Freeze making? How much comes in from boosters? How much does the athletic dept spend?
14,000 students and the fee per hour is lower than several schools in the state and conference.  It will be a nice boost to the budget but that money cannot go to the coach's salary.

Freeze gets around $300K total but that will rise significantly after this season.  I know that the budget is lower than most at ASU's level and the percentage from students and institutional support is less than most at that level and in state.  I know that they somehow have managed to hire some of the best coaches in the league and finished third in the overall sports championship despite offering fewer sports so I don't complain about the pay levels.

Kicking Wing

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 09, 2011, 02:16:45 pm
I am glad to see all the Colleges in Ark doing well in D-1 football.
Agreed and it's hard to imagine a better year for the football teams in this state collectively.  None of the big three have lost since Sept. 24.

BR

Lanny,   you helped A-State get a big win on the road in starting your post.. Maybe we can have 2 teams from Arkansas with 10 win seasons... Would love to see A-State go 8-0 in the SunBelt...   They have two 2-7 Teams left..

Sat, Sept 3 @Illinois L 33-15   
Sat, Sept 10 vsMemphis W47-3 
Sat, Sept 17 @#13 Virginia Tech L26-7   
Sat, Sept 24 vsCentral Arkansas W53-24   
Sat, Oct 1 @Western Kentucky W26-22   
Sat, Oct 8 @Louisiana-Monroe W24-19 
Tue, Oct 18 vsFlorida International W34-16   
Sat, Oct 29 vsNorth Texas W37-14   
Sat, Nov 5 @Florida Atlantic W39-21   
Sat, Nov 12 vsLouisiana-Lafayette W30-21  8-2 (6-0 Sunbelt)

Sat, Nov 19 @Middle Tennessee 2-7
Sat, Dec 3 vsTroy 2-7
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

Lanny

Congrats to ASTATE on the big win yesterday.  I hope the Red Wolves win their next two games.
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Gerald Gilber

November 13, 2011, 07:53:11 am #82 Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 07:55:04 am by foodhog
First of all let me say I am a huge Razorback fan but my wife is an ASU alum, I went with her yesterday to the Redwolves game and was impressed with the show they put on. I was very disappointed with the crowd based on what was at stake. I hear from the people up here all the time about Arkansas being afraid to play them, well they don't even support what will be the Sunbelt champs. They need to back their own team. I say Woo Pig Sooieeee, Go Red Wolves, and Go Bears!!! Nothing wrong with supporting them all but I will be spending most of my dollars with the HOGS! :razorback:
Can we play all our games at home????

BR

I hope ASU goes 10-2, gets some votes for the Top 25. Goes to a nice Bowl game... It would be great for the State of Arkansas..

Seminole Indian

November 13, 2011, 07:59:33 am #84 Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 08:09:56 am by Seminole Indian
Quote from: Lanny on November 13, 2011, 07:34:21 am
Congrats to ASTATE on the big win yesterday.  I hope the Red Wolves win their next two games.
ASU had a nice turnout yesterday of a little over 20k.

Representives of the new Orleans Bowl (who does not have to take the SBC Champion this year and who wants ULL) and the GoDaddy.com Bowl (where the SBC wants ASU) where at the game. ASU needs to win 1 or 2 remaining games to clinch at least a share of SBC title. If ASU wins both there will probably be more bowl opportunities.

"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Seminole Indian on November 13, 2011, 07:59:33 am
ASU had a nice turnout yesterday of a little over 20k.

Representives of the new Orleans Bowl (who does not have to take the SBC Champion this year and who wants ULL) and the GoDaddy.com Bowl (where the SBC wants ASU) where at the game. ASU needs to win 1 or 2 remaining games to clinch at least a share of SBC title. If ASU wins both there will probably be more bowl opportunities.

How did you like your VOLS last night?  I thought they were a nice little tune up for the run up to MS St. and LSU.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Seminole Indian

November 13, 2011, 08:25:04 am #86 Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 08:29:28 am by Seminole Indian
Quote from: Albert Einswine on November 13, 2011, 08:06:54 am

How did you like your VOLS last night?  I thought they were a nice little tune up for the run up to MS St. and LSU.

I'm like most Vol fans (or Florida fans, or Texas fans, or Michigan fans or Notre Dame fans or USC fans), I still feel superior to the Razorbacks and we view your team the same way you view Ole Miss or Mississippi State. The natural order of things will return again and we will dominate teams like Arkansas.

I can see why Razorback fans hate the arrogant fans of these teams but that is really how we feel and nothing will change that.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Seminole Indian on November 13, 2011, 08:25:04 am
I'm like most Vol fans (or Florida fans, or Texas fans, or Michigan fans or Notre Dame fans or USC fans), I still feel superior to the Razorbacks. The natural order of things will return again and we will dominate teams like Arkansas.

I can see why Razorback fans hate the arrogant fans of these teams but that is really how we feel and nothing will change that.

Oh, okay...
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

codeHog

how many teams played a easier confrence schedule in America than Injuns?

Seminole Indian

Quote from: codeHog on November 13, 2011, 08:31:25 am
how many teams played a easier confrence schedule in America than Injuns?
Don't know, they were at #39 in the BCS poll last week and that takes into account their strength of schedule.

Seminole Indian

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Seminole Indian on November 13, 2011, 08:39:41 am
Well you asked.

Yep.  But what's it like to have no place to hang your arrogant hat for the past 5 or 7 seasons?

Get arrogant when UT gets relevant...

secfan1

Not trying to be negative because I support ASU also..but whoever said ASU fans that talk about Arkansas being scared was correct when he said ASU fans need to let that go and support their own team. 20,000 fans may have been "announced" yesterday but the actual attendance was counted about 6-7,000 shy of that for a big game. Typical.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Albert Einswine on November 13, 2011, 08:43:59 am
Yep.  But what's it like to have no place to hang your arrogant hat for the past 5 or 7 seasons?

Get arrogant when UT gets relevant...

On my head like everone else. Again, fans of schools like Tennessee know there is a real pecking order in college football and where our teams fit in that order and act accordingly.

1highhog

Their doing good this year, I'm proud for them, now keep it up.

BR

Quote from: Seminole Indian on November 13, 2011, 08:57:26 am
On my head like everone else. Again, fans of schools like Tennessee know there is a real pecking order in college football and where our teams fit in that order and act accordingly.

Mr. Indian, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul

secfan1

Let it go. Arkansas is better than Tenn now. Let "history go". We are talking present and yall are way down the pecking order. No Dooley is not better than Petrino.

GotPig?

I, for one, can't wait to see Tennessee and Arkansas State in next year's BCS title game.  THAT will be the game of the century.  Take that, Arkansas-Texas '69 and Bama-LSU '11!  Go Red Wings!

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Joetown Parrothead on November 13, 2011, 09:02:47 am
Mr. Indian, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul

+1, funniest scene in the movie!

Seminole Indian

November 13, 2011, 09:45:43 am #99 Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 09:55:56 am by Seminole Indian
Quote from: secfan1 on November 13, 2011, 09:05:21 am
Let it go. Arkansas is better than Tenn now. Let "history go". We are talking present and yall are way down the pecking order. No Dooley is not better than Petrino.
Now that is the truth. In fact by any measure ASU is better this year.

Ole Miss fans were confident they had changed the natural order of things when they hired Nutt and beat the Razorbacks a couple of times. Fact is  Ole Miss does not have the resources to stay ahead of the Razorbacks and that just is the way it is in the real world.