Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas State thread

Started by Lanny, November 06, 2011, 06:05:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanny

November 06, 2011, 06:05:10 pm Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 07:19:30 pm by Lanny
The Red Wolves will play ULL for a chance to win the Sun Belt this saturday and some are worried that 15k will show up?  WoW

http://www.arkst.com/board/index.php?PHPSESSID=sbeqkleipm9b1789g2te958rd4&topic=51405.0
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

MTBrookHog

I understand what you are saying. On top of that, ASU has scheduled their annual "Little bitta Christmas" in the Convo (which is next door to the stadium). This is a huge event in Northeast Arkansas every year.

Also, the crowd will depend on the Hog fans in NEA. With the game starting at 2, there may be a good crowd there for the first half. Then, the Hog fans will leave to watch our game.

I'm considering going to the game if I am not working. ASU fans need to show up. This doesn't get any bigger for them. If they want to become a player in their conference, they need to show it.

3kgthog

A player in their conference? 15,000 would probably be a Sun Belt record for any team. Go ULL!

Fatman

So you have one ASU post a year whether you want to or not?? You a risk taker for sure Lanny!!

The Great Hambino

SO can we expect redwolveville.net to be up and running soon or what?

:)

oldbear

Quote from: Lanny on November 06, 2011, 06:05:10 pm
The Red Wolves will play ULL for a chance to win the Sun Belt this saturday and some are worried that 15k will show up?  WoW

http://www.arkst.com/board/index.php?PHPSESSID=sbeqkleipm9b1789g2te958rd4&topic=51405.0

Someone report this guy to a moderator.  Doesn't he know this is a Razorback board?

ladyhogfan

Lita Bita Christmas has been scheduled on the second weekend in November (Fri-Sun) for many many years.  I have been going myself for over 15 years...it's a major Arts-Craft event bringing in thousands of early Christmas shoppers, with vendors from surrounding states.  Too bad about the conflict with ASU's game, hope they win--and WPS.

Hooch

Quote from: oldbear on November 06, 2011, 06:36:35 pm
Someone report this guy to a moderator.  Doesn't he know this is a Razorback board?

I watched em the other day on ESPN, playing some team, had a rowdy crowd of about 43 people that night. 

GotPig?

If they played Bentonville on Saturday night, now that would be an interesting game that might put some folks in the stands, as I hear Bentonville fans travel well.  I'm not sure if the Sun Belt is up to par with the 7A-West, though.  Maybe they could hang with P.A. for a half.

Seminole Indian

November 06, 2011, 07:25:59 pm #9 Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 07:28:05 pm by Seminole Indian
Quote from: 3kgthog on November 06, 2011, 06:30:29 pm
A player in their conference? 15,000 would probably be a Sun Belt record for any team. Go ULL!
Well I'm from Tennessee and there is really nothing a good ASU team can do about their  20K crowds any more than a bad Vol team can do anything about their 100K+ crowds. Those crowds in the SEC, Big 10, etc. are their because of the tradition and history of those storied programs and not those teams.

Still with the 85 scholarship limitation there is nothing to prevent a FBS school like ASU from putting a very good product on the field or Tennessee a bad one.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

pigmailyen

Makes one wonder if some FCS schools have ASU's coach on their radar when replacement time comes.  (Ole Miss).

Razorback88

Congrats to ASU on receiving a vote in the USA Today poll today for the first time since moving to D1.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: pigmailyen on November 06, 2011, 07:49:10 pm
Makes one wonder if some FCS schools have ASU's coach on their radar when replacement time comes.  (Ole Miss).
Although they are playing like one, Ole Miss is a FBS program.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

DEVIL DOG HOG

"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

Seminole Indian

November 06, 2011, 09:24:43 pm #14 Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 09:28:37 pm by Seminole Indian
Quote from: Ar_Hog on November 06, 2011, 09:00:42 pm
Is ASU in Arizona ???
There is one there and in Alabama and.........well you get the point.

The important thing for the one in Arkansas is that people outside Arkansas know there is one and their play against good FBS teams outside the State of Arkansas has insured that they do. This accounts for the rapid improvement in the caliber of athletes they have playing for them now and winning will only increase that awareness.

Blue35

The Jonesboro engines are doing very well this year. Good luck to them.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: DEVIL DOG HOG on November 06, 2011, 09:15:21 pm
Lanny's New Board: RED WOLFVILLE
He has provided us with the General Sports board and the fans of other Arkansas schools who like to drop by and catch up on the Razorbacks appreciate that he did.

jmingram911

You never know.  ASU could be the next Boise State.  NOT!!!   :))

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Blue35 on November 06, 2011, 09:25:34 pm
The Jonesboro engines are doing very well this year. Good luck to them.
So are you guys.

Seminole Indian

November 06, 2011, 09:30:12 pm #20 Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 09:59:07 pm by Seminole Indian
Quote from: Razorback88 on November 06, 2011, 08:51:54 pm
Congrats to ASU on receiving a vote in the USA Today poll today for the first time since moving to D1.
We got 2 votes.

True it is the first since moving up from 1AA, but they got enough to tie with Notre Dame at #21 in 1975. There was only a top 20 not top 25 then so it really did not count.

elksnort

It's nice to have both Arkansas teams do well.

ASU fans need to show up Saturday.

rogersvillemohog

November 06, 2011, 09:37:56 pm #22 Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 09:42:25 pm by rogersvillemohog
I couldn't stop laughing at some of those posts. Sorry that I don't support the other Arkansas teams. I honestly couldn't care if stAte does well or not. One thing is for sure, I'm glad we don't have to worry about whether or not we're going to fill our stadium half-way up this weekend.
:razorback: :razorback:
Arkansas Football: It's the players running through the A, Hog Hats, and Big Red. It's more than 70,000 fans calling, "WOO PIG SOOIE!"

Arkansas Football: It's the State of Arkansas banding together behind one team, and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are... chosen. They wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks.

Together we stand as tall as the towers of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walk. And our blood flows Razorbacks Red. For 100 years we've been Hogwild and today we continue the tradition.

We are Arkansas Razorbacks!

Seminole Indian

Quote from: jmingram911 on November 06, 2011, 09:28:55 pm
You never know.  ASU could be the next Boise State.  NOT!!!   :))
More like the next Southern Mississippi.

Actually ASU has only been a step behind them for the last 30 years and all the athletic contest between them have gone down to the wire. I think ASU is poised to take that step to where people think of them the same way they think of USM.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: rogersvillemohog on November 06, 2011, 09:37:56 pm
I couldn't stop laughing at some of those posts. Sorry that I don't support the other Arkansas teams. I'm only loyal to one Arkansas team and that is it. I honestly couldn't care if stAte does well or not. One thing is for sure, I'm glad we don't have to worry about weather or not we're going to fill our stadium half-way up this weekend.
:razorback: :razorback:
Why would the fact some people root for other state teams be funny. I have no problem being and ASU and VOL fan and both schools have played. I'm glad they are not playing this year.

PigDaddyKane

The only person on Hogville without an inside source for Razorback news!

spiritof92

Quote from: elksnort on November 06, 2011, 09:35:35 pm

Agreed

Would love to see the Hogs win 12 games and the Red Wolves win 11. 

Razorback88

Quote from: elksnort on November 06, 2011, 09:35:35 pm

Throw in UCA at 7-3 (6-1) and it's a pretty good year for football in Arkansas.

Calling All Hogs

Hugh Freeze's name has come up on NAFOOM a few times as a possible replacement for Nutt. He was the interim coach Nutt replaced at Ole Miss. Talk about screwing up. That was kind of like us replacing interim coach Mike Anderson with Stan Heath.  :)

spiritof92

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Razorback88 on November 06, 2011, 10:49:39 pm
Throw in UCA at 7-3 (6-1) and it's a pretty good year for football in Arkansas.

Ouachita won the Great American Conference championship with a 6-0 record and is 7-2 over all.  Good year for the Tigers as well.

Justifiable Hogicide

jobiegohog

The p/kicker for Harding was mentioned last night on ESPNU for kicking a 62 yd field goal and also having a 72 yd punt .

checkraiser88

Quote from: jobiegohog on November 07, 2011, 12:25:32 am
The p/kicker for Harding was mentioned last night on ESPNU for kicking a 62 yd field goal and also having a 72 yd punt .

WOW

Westcoasthog

Arkansas State fans, the City Of Jonesboro - you need to fill ASU Stadium to
capacity for the University Of Louisiana Lafayette football game. 

PorkCheops

Quote from: 3kgthog on November 06, 2011, 06:30:29 pm

Just to be fair, UL has averaged more than 29,000 for its five home games this season (the average last season was around 17,000).  Not SEC numbers, sure, but it goes to show that fans will show up for a team in at least some of the SBC stadiums, if that team wins.
"The problem is not only to win souls but to save minds. If you win the whole world and lose the mind of the world, you will soon discover that you have not won the world. Indeed it may turn out that you have actually lost the world."  Charles Malik

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Westcoasthog on November 07, 2011, 03:06:16 am
Their will be a lot of asu fans from all over the mid-south, and a lot of Razorback fans at the game, always are.

HoggyCat

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on November 06, 2011, 06:34:18 pm
No, ASU has drawn 30,000 or so a few times

For Memphis when they were somewhat relevant, Ole Miss when they had Eli, and maybe Louisville?

They've never had over 21K for a CONFERENCE GAME, even when they were in line for a bowl fame a few years back.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

HoggyCat

Quote from: Westcoasthog on November 07, 2011, 03:06:16 am

If I go, I'll go buy some ULL attire for the whole family to wear.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Seminole Indian on November 06, 2011, 09:44:56 pm
Why would the fact some people root for other state teams be funny. I have no problem being and ASU and VOL fan and both schools have played. I'm glad they are not playing this year.

Well, you're just ate up all the way around, then...
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Lanny

I hope ASTATE fills the stadium and wins the SunBelt.  Go Red Wolves!
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

"Pickled" Pig's Pete

Quote from: PorkCheops on November 07, 2011, 05:29:29 am
Just to be fair, UL has averaged more than 29,000 for its five home games this season (the average last season was around 17,000).  Not SEC numbers, sure, but it goes to show that fans will show up for a team in at least some of the SBC stadiums, if that team wins.

ULL's attendance is exactly why if ASU wins against ULL, the Red Wolves WILL NOT get the invite to the New Orleans Bowl.  ULL will be playing in the New Orleans Bowl, regardless of the outcome of the game on Saturday.

Unfortunately for the Red Wolves, the New Orleans Bowl can invite any bowl eligible Sun Belt team they choose.  With ULL being bowl eligible (win or lose), and only being an hour away from New Orleans, they will get the invite.  The Red Wolves will have to settle for the GoDaddy.com Bowl in Mobile.  The positive about that will be the game will be either on the Saturday or Sunday before the BCS Title game.  If it's Saturday, there will be one other bowl game for football fans to watch.  If it's Sunday, it will be the only college game on.
Quote from: salebow on November 27, 2011, 08:39:55 pm
It made be a forum, but spelling and punctuation tell a lot about a person. Also, I usually post from my iPhone, too. I don't have a problem with using good spelling and punctuation.

clutch

Quote from: rampage72501 on November 07, 2011, 07:10:49 am
ULL's attendance is exactly why if ASU wins against ULL, the Red Wolves WILL NOT get the invite to the New Orleans Bowl.  ULL will be playing in the New Orleans Bowl, regardless of the outcome of the game on Saturday.

Unfortunately for the Red Wolves, the New Orleans Bowl can invite any bowl eligible Sun Belt team they choose.  With ULL being bowl eligible (win or lose), and only being an hour away from New Orleans, they will get the invite.  The Red Wolves will have to settle for the GoDaddy.com Bowl in Mobile.  The positive about that will be the game will be either on the Saturday or Sunday before the BCS Title game.  If it's Saturday, there will be one other bowl game for football fans to watch.  If it's Sunday, it will be the only college game on.

I thought it was an automatic spot for the SBC Champion

Albert Einswine

Quote from: clutch on November 07, 2011, 07:23:02 am

Me too, in fact I looked it up and that's what it says on the New Orleans Bowl wiki page.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Seminole Indian

November 07, 2011, 07:28:06 am #44 Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 07:44:26 am by Seminole Indian
Quote from: HoggyCat on November 07, 2011, 06:49:06 am
For Memphis when they were somewhat relevant, Ole Miss when they had Eli, and maybe Louisville?

They've never had over 21K for a CONFERENCE GAME, even when they were in line for a bowl fame a few years back.

This year they drew 29,872 for Memphis and 27,918 for UCA.

Prior home attendence best:

30,427. . . . . . . Memphis . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 9-18-04 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Nite . . . . . . . . . . UM, 47-35
29,465. . . . . . . Central Arkansas . . . . . . . . . 9-13-97 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Nite . . . . . . . . . . ASU, 36-35
27,774. . . . . . . Memphis . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 9-27-07 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Nite . . . . . . . . . . ASU, 35-31
25,938. . . . . . . Southern Miss . . . . . . . . . . . 9-13-08 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Nite. . . . . . . . . . USM, 27-24
25,219. . . . . . . Louisville. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10-2-10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Nite . . . . . . . . . . . UL, 34-24
25,112. . . . . . . Central Arkansas . . . . . . . . . 10-5-96 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Nite . . . . . . . . . . . ASU, 17-7
24,256. . . . . . . Middle Tennessee . . . . . . . . 9-20-08 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Nite . . . . . . . . . . ASU, 31-14
23,641. . . . . . . Troy . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 9-26-09 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Day . . . . . . . . . . Troy, 30-27
23,426. . . . . . . Army . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 9-2-06 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Nite . . . . . . . . . . ASU, 14-6*
23,176. . . . . . . Louisiana-Monroe . . . . . . . . 9-18-10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Nite . . . . . . . . . . ASU, 34-20
22,745. . . . . . . Louisiana-Monroe . . . . . . . . 10-11-08 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Nite . . . . . . . . . . ASU, 37-29
22,368. . . . . . . Mississippi . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10-6-01 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Nite . . . . . . . . . . UM, 35-17
21,741. . . . . . . Texas Southern. . . . . . . . . . . 9-6-08 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Nite . . . . . . . . . . ASU, 83-10
21,134. . . . . . . Southeast Missouri . . . . . . . 9-13-03 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Nite . . . . . . . . . . . ASU, 21-3
21,056. . . . . . . Mississippi Valley State . . . . 9-5-09 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Nite . . . . . . . . . . . ASU, 61-0
20,949. . . . . . . Southwest Missouri State . . 10-26-91 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Nite . . . . . . . . . . SMS, 37-20
20,548. . . . . . . Tennessee-Martin . . . . . . . . 9-6-03 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Nite . . . . . . . . . . . ASU, 63-6
20,367. . . . . . . Florida Atlantic. . . . . . . . . . . 10-22-05 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Nite . . . . . . . ASU, 3-0 (OT)*
19,357. . . . . . . New Mexico State . . .

Seminole Indian

November 07, 2011, 07:34:11 am #45 Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 07:48:24 am by Seminole Indian
Quote from: clutch on November 07, 2011, 07:23:02 am
No, not every year and ASU and the SBC do not want ASU in the NO Bowl. The SBC has another bowl in line for ASU if they win a couple of more games.

HoggyCat

Seminole Indian, I'm talking butts in the seats. Paid attendance and actual are two different things. The Tuesday night ESPN game a couple weeks ago wasn't even half capacity.

The Memphis and UCA games this year....NON conference games, and proximity was the reason so many were there. Show all the games from all those years and average it out. This year they're in control of the sun belt and still won't and can't fill that stadium.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: HoggyCat on November 07, 2011, 05:11:27 pm
Seminole Indian, I'm talking butts in the seats. Paid attendance and actual are two different things. The Tuesday night ESPN game a couple weeks ago wasn't even half capacity.

The Memphis and UCA games this year....NON conference games, and proximity was the reason so many were there. Show all the games from all those years and average it out. This year they're in control of the sun belt and still won't and can't fill that stadium.
I did not attend the Tuesday night game but those that did seemed to agree with you. That they cannot fill the stadium is speculation that they have not is a fact.

elksnort

And it's a shame, because they have a nice team out there this year.

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin