Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FIU-Arkansas St-7;00 ESPN2.

Started by Mrcoolhog55, October 18, 2011, 03:40:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogz87

Quote from: HogHomer on October 18, 2011, 08:15:06 pm
Not to derail the thread but how is Harrison (football) team doing. I just moved to Florida this past summer for my senior year and used to play on the team, just wondering how they were.

Huntsville (maybe the worst 5A team in the state) is all that's keeping Harrison from finishing last in the 5A West.

Hawgrox

Quote from: Hogz87 on October 18, 2011, 09:08:55 pm
Huntsville (maybe the worst 5A team in the state) is all that's keeping Harrison from finishing last in the 5A West.

The line just moved to -1.5

Hawgrox

INDIAN BLACK HOUNDS SCORE!!!!!!!!!!!!

And all 17 fans go wild!!!!!!!!

Dwyane Wade

Arkansas State just run a Play Action "Woody" Pass...Hugh Freeze is rather inventive

Hogz87

This game started at 7:00 and there's still 8:11 to go in the 4th quarter.  I started watching in the third quarter, so why is a game that was 6-6 at halftime lasting so long?

Blue35

Quote from: Hogz87 on October 18, 2011, 10:05:13 pmso why is a game that was 6-6 at halftime lasting so long?
Them arkie engines have got the slows tonight. Yikes,,,,,,,,,,,,

Hogz87

I don't know what it means, but it looks like Arkansas State is going to win the game.

I definitely don't have the same disdain for ASU as some on here.  I don't love them or anything, but definitely don't hate them.  Looks like they could be in the driver's seat to win the Sun Belt since they get UL-Lafayette and Troy at home.   

Razorback88

Quote from: Hogz87 on October 18, 2011, 10:05:13 pm
This game started at 7:00 and there's still 8:11 to go in the 4th quarter.  I started watching in the third quarter, so why is a game that was 6-6 at halftime lasting so long?

Replay and more commercials are making games entirely too long.  I thought the 2nd half of our game against Auburn was never going to end a couple weeks ago.

GuvHog

Final Score: Arkansas State  34   FIU  16

State exploded late in the second half.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

chiefsfan

Quote from: Hogz87 on October 18, 2011, 10:24:35 pm
I don't know what it means, but it looks like Arkansas State is going to win the game.

I definitely don't have the same disdain for ASU as some on here.  I don't love them or anything, but definitely don't hate them.  Looks like they could be in the driver's seat to win the Sun Belt since they get UL-Lafayette and Troy at home.   

Troy is in 7th place in the league right now.   Been embarrased back to back weeks by the two Louisiana schools.  They've kept a high rating thanks to Arkansas and Clemson.
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

chiefsfan

Quote from: codeHog on October 18, 2011, 08:42:26 pm
6-6 game......poor Florida boys will tell their grandkids about the time they spent a horrible night in god forsaken Arkansas where it is cold and rainy :)

GO FIU, do not want ASU taking any room on my sports page

Honestly I dont know why the Dem Gaz even bothers covering ASU.  Most ASU fans have dropped subscriptions.  Its not like any of us actually read it.
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

JonesboroPiggie

Jonesboro is a great town to live in. Big enough to offer most anything one would want but still small enough for a friendly atmosphere. A new mall opened a few years ago, people will stop and let you in when traffic is backed up, several good school systems, plenty of nice neighborhoods, etc. The city has seen constant growth even through the recession.

ASU is not a bad school academically and has grown substantially through the years, but is just not a football school. Though I've never been to one of their games and can't name a single player on their team I always hope they do well. I think it's good for our city and the state as a whole. Red Wolf fans seem to mostly hate the Hogs with passion, but most Hog fans seem to either support the Red Wolves or are simply indifferent. I guess mostly jealousy on their part of there being likely as many or more Hog fans here than Red Wolves fans, and of course the national attention the Hogs get that Red Wolves don't. Yes it was a little cool and damp tonight for the game, but their stadium only seats a little over 30k and from what little I watched of the game on TV it looked well under half capacity. I don't think they hardly ever reach capacity even in ideal weather conditions.
Even my dog is a Hog! WPS!!

ark30inf

Quote from: JonesboroPiggie on October 19, 2011, 12:16:17 am
Red Wolf fans seem to mostly hate the Hogs with passion, but most Hog fans seem to either support the Red Wolves or are simply indifferent.

I don't think so, I think there are a minority of fans of both that hate each other and they are vocal about it.  I don't think that is the norm since the two never play one another and there is no point in it.  I am first a supporter of the school I attended and is in my hometown (ASU) and second a supporter of UA which also represents my state.  The two have always been separate and unrelated teams to me.

I take a lot of hell for it from the minority of fans on both sides....but I can't imagine being any other way unless they played each other. 

spiritof92

October 19, 2011, 12:59:11 am #63 Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 01:04:08 am by spiritof92
Quote from: ark30inf on October 19, 2011, 12:57:18 amI take a lot of hell for it from the minority of fans on both sides....but I can't imagine being any other way unless they played each other. 

I'm pretty much in the same boat.

Don't get me wrong, if the Hogs and Red Wolves played I would back the Hogs.  With them not playing one another (and I hope it stays that way) I don't understand the hate at someone supporting both programs. 

DeltaBoy

Quote from: GUVHOG on October 18, 2011, 11:50:33 pm
Final Score: Arkansas State  34   FIU  16

State exploded late in the second half.

State is looking good enough to win the Sun Belt this year.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Grunt

Can they beat ole miss? i've been thinking Jack St will.
The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

JonesboroPiggie

Quote from: ark30inf on October 19, 2011, 12:57:18 am
I don't think so, I think there are a minority of fans of both that hate each other and they are vocal about it.  I don't think that is the norm since the two never play one another and there is no point in it.

There are certainly exceptions both ways. But I routinely have heard for years from ASU fans things along the lines of "my 2 fav teams are the Red Wolves and whoever is playing the Hogs". I hear anti-Hog statements from people I know, I overhear it from bystander strangers as they see someone wearing Hog apparel or a Hog bumper sticker in a parking lot, etc. I seldom hear any such criticism from strangers to my face when I'm wearing my Hog apparel though. I overhear it a lot as a bystander said as other obvious Hog fans have passed by, say while standing in a checkout line or sitting at the next table in a restaurant.

In contrast I very seldom hear anything negative towards the Red Wolves from Hog fans in the area. Most seem to be either indifferent towards the Red Wolves or supportive, and save their hate for Ole Miss, Auburn, etc.

Even though the two never play, there are possible valid reasons to explain it. Jonesboro is their home turf which one naturally tends to defend. There is likely jealousy that the Hogs have a much better program, big state wide following, and national attention, and even have such a strong fan base in ASU's own back yard. I have asked ASU friends that openly express hate towards the Hogs why they hate them, pointing out that I don't hate the Red Wolves and wish them well, but I have never gotten a good answer. They always beat around the bush and basically give a "just because" type answer, which I take to most likely mean they don't want to admit they are jealous.
Even my dog is a Hog! WPS!!

spiritof92

Sounds to me like you are just trying to keep something stirred up. 

razobak

October 19, 2011, 03:17:06 pm #68 Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 03:18:47 pm by razobak
Having grown up in the area as an ASU fan (Hog fan first, always will be, but grew up going to ASU games) I can say that most "hatred" by ASU fans towards UA is a mixture of jealousy, resentment, "Little Brother Syndrome", and in some cases, proximity to Oxford (though that's a very distant last on the list).  Jealousy because of the statewide following and national media attention which comes from being in the premier conference in the land.  Resentment because of the fact that the two schools never play each other.  Little Brother Syndrome because of ASU fans' deep desire to be better than UA (this is tied to the resentment because UA refuses to play ASU).  This was evidenced when 14,000 people showed up to ASU's 11,000 seat arena in 2005 to watch ASU play the Hogs in the Women's NIT.  Think about that for a minute.  (And yes, I was at that game too.)

Having said all that, most people I know in the area are fans of both schools, as I am.  The "UAF can go to hell" crowd is, while quite vocal, relatively small.
Go Hogs, Beat Refs!

Hootiethehog

something i noticed when me and my dad were watching the game last night, we would refer to asu as 'we' and 'us' just like we do with the hogs.

i tend to do the same with ualr, but i did go to school there for a couple of years too. i'm all for anyone from arkansas getting some pub. if its the hogs, red wolves, trojans, bears, reddies, tigers, muleriders or boll wevils, i'll watch them if they're on tv and cheer for them.

and unless they play the hogs, i'll never hope any of those teams will lose
Please note that my screen name is not an endorsement of any former coach at the University of Arkansas, nor does it mean I am in cahoots with the group that produces a yearly high school football magazine.
It is simply an old nickname I picked up 20 years ago with "thehog" added on to it.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Hootiethehog on October 19, 2011, 03:37:55 pm
something i noticed when me and my dad were watching the game last night, we would refer to asu as 'we' and 'us' just like we do with the hogs.

i tend to do the same with ualr, but i did go to school there for a couple of years too. i'm all for anyone from arkansas getting some pub. if its the hogs, red wolves, trojans, bears, reddies, tigers, muleriders or boll wevils, i'll watch them if they're on tv and cheer for them.

and unless they play the hogs, i'll never hope any of those teams will lose

Same here.  I'm an Arkansan above all. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.