Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas State: "worst bowl team since start of BCS era"

Started by ReturnToDynasty?, December 20, 2005, 03:42:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pikehog

It was a lot closer than I thought, and had that not have miscued on the first quarter turnovers they would have made it an even closer game.

Tusks

Who won...or how bad did asu get beat....didn't watch a minute of it.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

hogsanity

YEs, one thought kept coming to mind:  These teams were bowl worthy? 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Coachjy

Wasn't too bad of a game. Beats watching Barbara Walters trying to figure out if Heaven is real or not. That was on last night in a 2-hour special on ABC. Unbelievable!

bigyellowdog

Thrilbilly

NCIS was good,,,watched it before turning to the game...One thing that I did notice was all of the trick plays. It was unbelievable how every time a trick play was ran how everybody fell for it..And the expressions on the defenders faces on the replays was priceless!

A-Town Hog Fan

Good lord that was one of the worst bowl games I have ever sat through.  It will probably be topped by the CO St. and Navy game.  Too many bowls.
Lord help us all!

Lanny

I thought Arkansas State played a competitive game.  Enjoyable first half too.
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

hogsanity

As a game pitting 2 bad teams should be, it was close, but come on, if you give up 31 to So Ms, how many would you give up to Ga or Tx or even Ucla or TT?  And, if you cant put up more than 31 on a team that got absolutely killed by ARMY, would you even score against the teams listed above?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

TuckFexas

I'm just glad ASU got beat against a middle of the road C-USA team. Now the guy at work who is an ASU fan will shut the hell up about the Hogs.
Famous quote.
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com
Become my friend on Facebook: www.facebook.com
The post above may or may not accurately reflect the views of TuckFexas.
Yes, they let me out of the Tavern on a day pass.

Thrilbilly

Quote from: hSv on December 21, 2005, 09:36:40 am
I thought Arkansas State played a competitive game. Enjoyable first half too.

No doubt,,,The game was entertaining!!

Hogs4Ever

ASU's QB made some plays.  Other than that, it was pretty ugly.  So. Miss.  went through their D like Grant through Atlanta and should have score 50 but they kept turning over the ball.

hogsanity

Quote from: TuckFexas on December 21, 2005, 09:38:05 am
I'm just glad ASU got beat against a middle of the road C-USA team. Now the guy at work who is an ASU fan will shut the hell up about the Hogs.

No he wont.  ASU could lose 180 games in a row and theyd still rag on the hogs even if the hogs won 3 nc during that same time.  They will forever whine because we dont play them.  I know, I graduated from ASU, and I cant stand ASU fans, all 5 of them.

HogISH™

yea, glad i waited till late and got the under 50 for a push.

they played a pretty good team w/ better talent and held their own the first half.

HogISH
|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|...BEER   TRUCK..........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -|
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)

Hogville Trash Can Moderator - my theme song:

Isn't it rich, isn't it queer
Losing my timing this late in my career  And where are the clowns  Quick send in the clowns  Don't bother they're here.

TuckFexas

Quote from: hogsanity on December 21, 2005, 09:41:27 am
Quote from: TuckFexas on December 21, 2005, 09:38:05 am

No he wont. ASU could lose 180 games in a row and theyd still rag on the hogs even if the hogs won 3 nc during that same time. They will forever whine because we dont play them. I know, I graduated from ASU, and I cant stand ASU fans, all 5 of them.

LOL. You're right, he won't shut up.
Famous quote.
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com
Become my friend on Facebook: www.facebook.com
The post above may or may not accurately reflect the views of TuckFexas.
Yes, they let me out of the Tavern on a day pass.

Tusks

Thrilbilly

Tusks

bigyellowdog

I thought that ASU and Mississippi Southern had ugly uniforms as well.  But I was impressed with the A State fans that travelled to the game.  It looked like they had more fans there.

Thrilbilly

Quote from: bigyellowdog on December 21, 2005, 09:56:58 am
I thought that ASU and Mississippi Southern had ugly uniforms as well. But I was impressed with the A State fans that travelled to the game. It looked like they had more fans there.

I noticed also that the uniforms were ugly,,,,looked like a swarm of bees on the field!

Hogeye_Pierce

Quote from: bigyellowdog on December 21, 2005, 09:56:58 am
I thought that ASU and Mississippi Southern had ugly uniforms as well.  But I was impressed with the A State fans that travelled to the game.  It looked like they had more fans there.

They should. They've been saving up for 35 years for this bowl game. ;D
Cry HAVOC and let slip the Hogs of war!

ejay286

Quote from: hogsanity on December 21, 2005, 09:36:42 am
As a game pitting 2 bad teams should be, it was close, but come on, if you give up 31 to So Ms, how many would you give up to Ga or Tx or even Ucla or TT? And, if you cant put up more than 31 on a team that got absolutely killed by ARMY, would you even score against the teams listed above?

Alot of people dont follow Southern Miss but they arent a bad team, they were leading Alabama for three quarters this year but lost by 8 after that amazing prothro catch that is still being replayed, and last year they only lost to No 4. California by ten points.

pigfoot

Quote from: Hogs4Ever on December 21, 2005, 09:40:43 am
So. Miss. went through their D like Grant through Atlanta . . .

I believe it was Sherman who went through Atlanta, but I agree with your point . . .
"...the word, even the most contradictory word, preserves contact.  It is silence which isolates."  Thomas Mann

Hogeye_Pierce

Quote from: pigfoot on December 21, 2005, 10:15:54 am
Quote from: Hogs4Ever on December 21, 2005, 09:40:43 am
So. Miss. went through their D like Grant through Atlanta . . .

I believe it was Sherman who went through Atlanta, but I agree with your point . . .

I bet you're gonna tell me the Germans didn't bomb Pearl Harbor either! ::)
Cry HAVOC and let slip the Hogs of war!

pikehog

Quote from: ReturnToDynasty? on December 20, 2005, 03:42:55 pm
What will happen: This might not be pretty if Southern Miss is prepared. Arkansas State might be the worst bowl team to get a post-season bid since the start of the BCS era, and it won't be able to do much on either side of the ball against a Golden Eagle team looking to go out with a bang.

Fearless Prediction: Southern Miss 41 ... Arkansas State 14

I have your crow all ready to eat!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/5171918

pikehog

Quote from: HawgWyld on December 21, 2005, 12:41:47 am
Quote from: abq on December 21, 2005, 12:27:47 am
I think the question is, how many two stars from Magnolia go out of state because the Hogs aren't interested? If they have another viable instate alternative I think that is a plus. Keep those kids in Arkansas where they will most likely stay and raise more good recruits. It would make Arkansas high school football better and the rising tide would raise all ships, so to speak. Hey, maybe we would have been better off playing ASU since 20 years ago. How many decent to good high school players have we lost to the likes of Oklahoma State, North Texas, La Tech, Southern Mississippi, Mississippi State, Ole Miss because the Hogs didn't want them? Guess what, those kids probably graduated and stayed in those states. Could be we have been chasing talent away this entire time and congratulating ourselves for doing it.

Something to think about.

Damn good point! In purely economic terms, under your scenario taxpayers in Arkansas get to shell out some cash to educate someone until he's 18-years-old only to have him head to another state. Not a very efficient investment at all.

So should be make every person who goes to an out of state school for college pay back Ark since they did not go to a state college? That is perhaps the most ridiculous thing posted on this board.......and that's syaing a lot.

artyhog

I think that the AUS Indians represented themselves well last night.  I watched the game.  They were in it until lthe 4th quarter.  They had the game tied at 17 in the 3rd.  They have nothing to be ashamed about.  They beat the spread.

hogsanity

Quote from: slaughts3 on December 21, 2005, 08:08:24 am
. Everybody predicted a blowout, and the score doesnt do justice to how the tribe played. Everybody dismissed the tribe because there from the sun belt and not from Cusa. No matter if you like the tribe or not you still have to give them respect because they played there hearts out.

No one who watched the game would say the kids on both sides did not play hard.  I dismiss ASU because they suck at FB.  Army, yes ARMY blew them out.  They went 6-5 playing in what may have been the worst d1 conference, top to bottom, EVER. 

One of the ESPn radio guys summed it up pretty well last night:  A 6-5 Vandy team would have been deserving of a bowl.  Playing TN, GA Sc FLa and the rest of their sched.  A 6-5 Sunbelt or onf USA team is not bowl WORTHY.  ELigible under the system, but not WORTHY.

Anon2

Watched it after Deal or No Deal went off.  Stupid people on that show, and I guess, stupid people watching.  Had to beat you to it.

Hogwild07

I don't understand why all of yall think ASU is now a threat to our recruiting.  They made their first D1 bowl appearance ever!  Yall now act like they get all this exposure.  They've been on TV once!  We are on TV all the time.  The other year every game we played was on TV.  At one point we went to 6 bowls straight.  ASU goes to one and now you think all this exposure is going to sway recruits to go to ASU.  Most players who go to ASU have to bc they are not good enough to play for the hogs.  If ASU actually does steal a couple of 1 to 2 star recruits....who cares?  Who wants 2 star recruits?

Tomhog™

Quote from: nutted on December 21, 2005, 09:56:18 am
Quote from: Thrilbilly on December 21, 2005, 09:54:52 am
If I remember right it was 31-19 Southern MS

I wonder if the Hogs could beat USM?

Based on end of the season performance, I think so.  Based on the beginning of the season, probably not.  USM's main weapon was their RB Hall.  I don't think Hall could have broken free as much as he did against our defense after Herring refined it.  ASU could move the ball effectively, and would have been better had their RB Warren been healthy.  Felix and Darren would have hung 125 yards each against USM.  Casey would have done another good job passing as USM's pass defense appeared to be very loose last night....

astarXzone

I am a diehard hog fan all the way.  But, there is nothing wrong with pulling for ASU, UALR etc. .  I want all arkansas teams to do well.  Everyone knows that ASU could never beat the hogs in football, basketball might be different story.  I question if the hog bb team could beat UALR right now.  Anyway, I was proud of ASU last night. I thought they done well for their first ever D1 bowl game.  And everyone knows that Southern Miss is a serious football school.   The tribe done well for arkansas last night.  I am a hog fan first.  But I will cheer the other teams of this state on to victory against anyone they play except for the hogs.  I was pulling for UCA all the way in the division 2 playoffs.  I wanted them to win.  I hope the ASU football program keeps getting better each year.  We are a small state and we need all the good teams we can get.  When the hogs are down, we are left with nothing or no one to cheer for.  My son and I enjoyed the New Orleans bowl tremendously and cheered ASU all the way.  Any hog fan who didnt want them to win is a pretty sorry fan of the state of Arkansas IMO.  Frank Broyles should have even been cheering for them.  IMO, Frank has done nothing but hold schools like ASU down.  They will never be on the level of the hogs, but, they could be better if they didnt have a tyrant like frank broyles who decided many yrs ago not to ever allow ASU onto Arkansas's schedule, to purposely hold them back from competeing on a higher level.  You know, I dont remember the people of arkansas taking a vote , I just remember frank making that decision all by himself.  And now look.  Even with frank holding ASU back all these yrs, how ironic that they played in a bowl and we are sitting at home.  And after watching the game, OH MY GOD!  Is Steve Roberts 10 times the coach HDN is or what?

Man Mountain Truth

Whose brilliant idea was it to move A-State to D-1 status. I've never really understood that decision. They don't draw, they don't have statewide or even regional support, they don't have great facilities. I just cannot comprehend the rationale. I can't even see any niche that they could carve out. UCA is the most dynamic football program after the Razorbacks.

Why does the NCAA still allow them to be D-1 ?

That weird bowl was just another glaring example of how far down that entire bowl thing has gone. We need a play-off and no team with less that a 8-3 record should go to a bowl.
"I don't know, but I've been told, big leg woman ain't got no soul."

Robert Plant

hogginuplittlerock

Quote from: Man Mountain Truth on December 21, 2005, 04:48:15 pm
Whose brilliant idea was it to move A-State to D-1 status. I've never really understood that decision. They don't draw, they don't have statewide or even regional support, they don't have great facilities. I just cannot comprehend the rationale. I can't even see any niche that they could carve out. UCA is the most dynamic football program after the Razorbacks.

That weird bowl was just another glaring example of how far down that entire bowl thing has gone. We need a play-off and no team with less that a 8-3 record should go to a bowl.

well then hogs wouldn't have made it to any bowl for the past 2 seasons under that genius plan of yours

astarXzone

sounds like you been smoking some moutain grown weed

Man Mountain Truth

You are correct sir!

But the U of A program can take the appropriate steps to remedy the lack of recent success in football. What can ASU do? Where can they go? Is 6-5 or 6-6 the highwater mark....ASU could hire Bill Parcells and their program would still top out at 6-5 and be third banana. Why not drop down to D-II and focus on building a program that can win, instead of being a non conference whipping post for big name programs.

Any comparison of UA to ASU is like comparing ripe fresh fruit to those onions that grow in my lawn all year round.

Robert Plant

astarXzone

I think at the beginning of this past season, ASU would have given the hogs all they wanted on the field.  At the end of the season, the hogs would have won by 21 becasue of defense only and I am not a Indian fan first, I am a hog fan all my life.

CiriusPorker

Quote from: astarXzone on December 21, 2005, 05:27:11 pm
I think at the beginning of this past season, ASU would have given the hogs all they wanted on the field. At the end of the season, the hogs would have won by 21 becasue of defense only and I am not a Indian fan first, I am a hog fan all my life.
I disagree.  The caliber of teams we played was generally exponentially higher than the teams ASU played.  For the most part, we were in some the bigger SEC games.  Barely losing to Georgia, South Carolina and LSU.  ASU wouldn't be able to stay on the field with those guys.  LSU would run it up like USC did to us.

tophawg19

every body is under rating SO. MISS. this is a pretty good team as bama found out . the hurricane hurt their program this year . also injuries have been bad . ASU played one hell of a game and should be congradulated . their are a lot of mid level talent guys in state who should take a long look at ASU  over memphis and some of those teams .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Kicking Wing

[/quoteYou couldn't be more wroing

[/quoYou couldn't be more qwron

You couldn't be more wrong.  ASU will never be UA, but you (like many sports fans in AR) have zero perspective about what life is like outside the BCS. 

Look around the MAC, WAC, and even Conf. USA and you will see that ASU has pretty good support.  They have VERY good regional support and drawing 20K in LR against teams that have no traveling fans and no name recognition is nothing to sneeze at.

As for facilities, that is where you are the most wrong.  A recent recruit that visited ASU said that we have better or as good facilities as any of the 4 or 5 C-USA teams he has visited and that our weight room is as good as any he has visited (including Texas).  I strongly doubt that you have stepped foot on ASU's campus based on your post.

Some of the other hog fans on here obviously realize that you are talking out of you A@#.

WilsonHog

Actually, ASU is in no worse position for experiencing success in the Sun Belt than we are for experiencing success in the SEC.

That's the true irony of it. Those Hog fans who look down on ASU ought to step back and think about how schools in the upper crust of the SEC think about the Hogs.

Very similar.   

Man Mountain Truth

The proof is in the puddin'.

Why does ASU have to play games at Little Rock? Is it a gimmick to juice up the yearly attendance numbers in order to keep their faux D-I status? Would they draw "20K" if they were not playing UAPB or UCA for those Little Rock games?

Do you really believe that ASU's facilities are that much better than UCA or Arkansas Tech. The Convo center is a nice place, but what about the football programs facilities. Would you classify them as 'State of the Art'?

Hey..............I'm just askin'

Robert Plant

ejay286

Quote from: Man Mountain Truth on December 22, 2005, 11:21:36 am

Why does ASU have to play games at Little Rock? Is it a gimmick to juice up the yearly attendance numbers in order to keep their faux D-I status? Would they draw "20K" if they were not playing UAPB or UCA for those Little Rock games?

Do you really believe that ASU's facilities are that much better than UCA or Arkansas Tech. The Convo center is a nice place, but what about the football programs facilities. Would you classify them as 'State of the Art'?

If someone could posts pics of UCA's and Tech's facilities if they can find them.  Here is our football field and convo center.  I have never been to UCA or Tech so i cant compare.

http://www.asuindians.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7200&ATCLID=207062  Thats the convo center

http://www.asuindians.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7200&ATCLID=207063  And thats Indian Stadium of course its not always that full but we were playing memphis.

clemensrules01

Quote from: ejay286 on December 22, 2005, 12:04:42 pm

If someone could posts pics of UCA's and Tech's facilities if they can find them. Here is our football field and convo center. I have never been to UCA or Tech so i cant compare.

http://www.asuindians.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7200&ATCLID=207062 Thats the convo center

http://www.asuindians.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7200&ATCLID=207063 And thats Indian Stadium of course its not always that full but we were playing memphis.
dude thats a pretty sh&&y stadium.

ejay286

Its not if people would stop comparing our facilities to BCS schools, do you think FIU has the same size stadium as Florida State, probably not.  Look at Southern Miss'   Lousiana Tech's or someone of that sizes stadiums they are about the same.  BCS schools are not the only D-1A schools that exists so you cant compare us to people with much more money and support. 

Kicking Wing

Um.... we're not playing UAPB or UCA in those games.  What are you talking about?  As for facilities, ours are absolutely on par with C-USA schools (most of them anyway).  I doubt you have been to ASU and seen the inside of our new FB complex, the weight room (new in 2005), the training room (new in 2005), our video board, or what the new turf is going to add.  We also put in new chairbacks and a fence around the stadium.

Look, we're not the SEC, but the kid that said that about our digs would know since he's been in all of them.

Wilsonhog is exactly correct.  We are to the SunBelt what you guys are to the SEC.  It's apples and oranges conference wise though.

Man Mountain Truth

Robert Plant