Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The season is over, and it has to be done "again"

Started by BartIV, January 14, 2011, 01:27:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the Arkansas Razorbacks play Arkansas State (present mascot)??

Yes
63 (23.4%)
No
145 (53.9%)
Don't Care
38 (14.1%)
Corn Dog
23 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 253

hillhog

Quote from: dxf04 on January 14, 2011, 02:02:18 pm
Who cares about keeping it "instate"?  It doesn't go toward lowering anybody's taxes.  It just subsidizes ASU's athletic dept.
Huh, boy have I been mistaken, I thought U of A was who paid for the rent-a-wins and would not have to pay the huge fee for some weak sister to come in and take it on the chin.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: tbharris on January 14, 2011, 01:54:53 pm
What about the exposure to the state Ar for recruiting purposes?  That has to be worth something.

This is a joke, right?  The University of Arkansas needing exposure for recruiting the state of.....Arkansas?
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

BartIV

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on January 14, 2011, 02:11:29 pm
I say anybody that brings this subject up again should be banned.  The University of Arkansas Football program gains absolutely NOTHING by scheduling ASU. Period.  End of discussion.
I think you gain more by playing ASU. Right now, Arkansas looks like they are scared to play little ole Arkansas state because they might steal a recruit. Yeah right.
There is no good argument for not playing a instate football game between AofU and ASU.
Arkansas just looks scared.

losthawg68

Quote from: BartIV on January 14, 2011, 04:42:49 pm
I think you gain more by playing ASU. Right now, Arkansas looks like they are scared to play little ole Arkansas state because they might steal a recruit. Yeah right.
There is no good argument for not playing a instate football game between AofU and ASU.

LOL!  FO REALZ YO?! 
Re:  I just came into some money...
Quote from: cosmodrum on April 01, 2011, 01:34:40 pm
Why money...didn't have a sock or tissue handy?

Quote from: Slacker on August 14, 2012, 10:57:10 pm
God Damn you Lost....

Albert Einswine

Quote from: wocraig on January 14, 2011, 04:35:54 pm
This is a joke, right?  The University of Arkansas needing exposure for recruiting the state of.....Arkansas?

But what if some future 5 star kid living under a rock up around Goobertown has never heard of the Razorbacks, but then they play ASU and a garbage truck rolls by on Hwy 49 and the Sunday sports section of the Jonesboro Sun from after the game blows out of the truck on the following Thursday and winds up laying on top of his rock and he sees it?

Did you ever think about that, did you, huh?   :P
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Albert Einswine

One word analysis of your post:   weak
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

BartIV

Quote from: Albert Einswine on January 14, 2011, 04:46:31 pm

One word analysis of your post:   weak
Its better than, Arkansas has nothing to gain. Arkansas has nothing to gain from playing Louisiana Mon"who" and whatever other school they tune up. And don't say it helps recruiting. Arkansas giving a weak school a A$$ whoomping does not help recruiting.
The game would be good for Arkansas and one of these days, Arkansas will play Arkansas state and everyone will say "why didn't we do this earlier". Its going to happen, just wait.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: BartIV on January 14, 2011, 04:51:25 pm
Its better than, Arkansas has nothing to gain. Arkansas has nothing to gain from playing Louisiana Mon"who" and whatever other school they tune up. And don't say it helps recruiting. Arkansas giving a weak school a A$$ whoomping does not help recruiting.
The game would be good for Arkansas and one of these days, Arkansas will play Arkansas state and everyone will say "why didn't we do this earlier". Its going to happen, just wait.

Tell us what Arkansas has to gain, then, without that weak line you posted before.  Really, tell us what THE University of Arkansas gains from playing the gorillaggindianredwolves.

007 License To Squeal

Although it would be interesting, I'll have to agree with Coach Frank Broyles.  It wouldn't be in the best interest of the Razorback program.
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

Albert Einswine

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on January 14, 2011, 04:55:27 pm
Although it would be interesting, I'll have to agree with Coach Frank Broyles.  It wouldn't be in the best interest of the Razorback program.

Frank received his instruction from Coach Barnhill.

007 License To Squeal

Right now, Arkansas looks like they are scared to play little ole Arkansas state.......

That's laughable and completely inaccurate.

BartIV

Quote from: Albert Einswine on January 14, 2011, 04:54:32 pm
Tell us what Arkansas has to gain, then, without that weak line you posted before.  Really, tell us what THE University of Arkansas gains from playing the gorillaggindianredwolves.

Sometimes you just do things cause they are the right thing to do. The only real reason Arkansas Razorbacks doesn't play Arkansas state, they like being the only show in town.
Its just one game, once a year, and its good for the state.
I don't "gain" anything from helping at a soup kitchen, i just feel better about myself for helping my fellow man.

BartIV

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on January 14, 2011, 04:55:27 pm
Frank Broyles thought it would be the best interest in keeping Houston Nutt. Look how that turned out. I wouldn't use Broyles quotes, they have shown themselves to be inaccurate.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: BartIV on January 14, 2011, 04:59:36 pm
Sometimes you just do things cause they are the right thing to do. The only real reason Arkansas Razorbacks doesn't play Arkansas state, they like being the only show in town.
I don't "gain" anything from helping at a soup kitchen, i just feel better about myself for helping my fellow man.

Still weak.  The right thing for THE University of Arkansas to do is look out for its best interests.  It isn't in the business of bolstering the reputations and cred of other collegiate sports programs in the state.  In fact, such a thing would be counterproductive to the UofA's interests.

Your soup kitchen analogy is the worst I've ever heard for supporting a game between the two and I've heard some bad ones.

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: tbharris on January 14, 2011, 01:54:53 pm
What about the exposure to the state Ar for recruiting purposes?  That has to be worth something.

Arkansas State will never get a single in-state recruit that the Hogs haven't already culled out.....

BartIV

Quote from: Albert Einswine on January 14, 2011, 05:05:01 pm

Still weak.  The right thing for THE University of Arkansas to do is look out for its best interests.  It isn't in the business of bolstering the reputations and cred of other collegiate sports programs in the state.  In fact, such a thing would be counterproductive to the UofA's interests.

Your soup kitchen analogy is the worst I've ever heard for supporting a game between the two and I've heard some bad ones.
I haven't heard your case for not playing. Not in best interest is it. What will Arkansas "lose" in playing Arkansas State. Tell me what they lose.

Hogs and Bears

Quote from: BartIV on January 14, 2011, 04:59:36 pm
If for no other reason than to keep that big payoff in the state,the Hogs should replace Mo State or some other rent-a-win with A-State or even my UCA Bears. Hell, the Bears open with Hootie and Ole Miss year after next,why not the Hogs?

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: BartIV on January 14, 2011, 05:01:55 pm
Frank Broyles thought it would be the best interest in keeping Houston Nutt. Look how that turned out. I wouldn't use Broyles quotes, they have shown themselves to be inaccurate.

Even a blind hog finds an acorn now and then.

BartIV

Quote from: Hogs and Bears on January 14, 2011, 05:08:59 pm
If for no other reason than to keep that big payoff in the state,the Hogs should replace Mo State or some other rent-a-win with A-State or even my UCA Bears. Hell, the Bears open with Hootie and Ole Miss year after next,why not the Hogs?
How much does Arkansas lose playing a Mo State or Louisana monroe. I know it is in the Hundreds of thousands.  Play A State for nothing at Little Rock, call it the diamond bowl and go from there.

losthawg68

Quote from: BartIV on January 14, 2011, 05:07:13 pm
I haven't heard your case for not playing. Not in best interest is it. What will Arkansas "lose" in playing Arkansas State. Tell me what they lose.

Arguments can be made to support your stance on the matter, you're just not making them.

God Damn you Lost....

UncleFrank

January 14, 2011, 05:18:46 pm #70 Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 05:27:40 pm by UncleFrank
Quoteone of these days, Arkansas will play Arkansas state and everyone will say "why didn't we do this earlier". Its going to happen, just wait.

It's not gonna happen in my lifetime--or yours--and probably never. You're gonna be 'waiting' a long, long, LONG TIME!
It only happens one way.....if the legislature mandates it. And I doubt that's gonna happen, either.
The fact is, no matter how anyone feels about it, it's just not gonna take place--not next year, next decade, and not anytime in the next half-century, unless it's in BB and during either the NIT or NCAA tourney.
It's not happening in football--and there are a thousand good reasons why it shouldn't--and you can't really even make the argument that 'it's the right thing to do'.

If ASU ever wises back up--which I doubt--they'll drop back down to the FCS level, where they might actually have a shot at competing for a championship of some kind once in a while.
Look at schools like the University of Montana, which is a national title threat in the FCS ranks most every year. They recently took a long, hard look at moving up to full D-1 status and then backed off and nixed it.  They know that where they're at now, they're a big player and can stay a big player for an indefinite period of time. Amongst the 'big boys', they'd soon settle into going 5-7 or 6-6 or 7-5 in something like the MWC every year. You have to be realistic and use some wisdom. ASU is (or was) in a similar boat. They don't have the quality athletes in enough quantity to compete on the D-1 level consistently.

Yeah, they have their 2 or 3 games a year where they scare the living daylights out of some legit D-1 team, which doesn't take them as seriously as they should. At least half the time, though, they only come close in those games, and still lose. If they were in the ACC or the Big East or even Conference USA, they'd get hammered at least 5 or 6 times a season, maybe more (and that would go on year after year after year).  They can't even compete in the Sunbelt on any kind of consistent basis.

The Red Wolves just need to face facts and embrace the truth--they simply don't have the players, facilities, fanbase, or money, to be a full-fledged D-1 program. And that's not likely to change anytime in the next 30 or 40 years, if ever.............that's just the way it is.........................

Albert Einswine

Quote from: BartIV on January 14, 2011, 05:07:13 pm

First let's establish the fact that Arkansas isn't scared to play ASU.  We've played and thrashed pretty much all of their conference and that includes the teams from their conference that are better than they are.  Fear has nothing to do with it.

Second let's establish the fact that no money is lost "in the state" from not playing ASU.  Every dollar that UofA ships out with a rent-a-win ASU brings back from selling themselves for someone else's rent-a-win.  Lost money "in the state" has nothing to do with it.

Third let's establish the fact that other sports programs within the state are not the UofA's "little brothers".  Colleges within the state are independent entities, they aren't in some Arkansas "family" and owe no loyalty, allegiance, love or brotherhood to one another.

Fourth let's establish the fact that in a business, and sports is a business, you don't willingly aid your competition in boosting their market share.   Why elevate the profile of other programs within the state?  Let them elevate their own product and sell their own brand without looking to tap into the UofA's revenue stream.

Now,  why should I bother with telling what the UofA has to lose when there is absolutely nothing for them to gain.

Choctaw Hog

Looks like Arkansas is scared?  Whatever. Nobody outside of ASU fans give a $hit whether the Hogs plays ASU or not.  Believe me when I tell you this.  I've traveled to many, many states over the years and I always find someone to talk college football whether it's in Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Florida, Alabama, Illinois, etc.  Not once has ANY college football fan ever asked me why Arkansas doesn't play ASU.  Hell, if truth be know they probably don't even know that Arkansas State exists. 

BartIV

Quote from: Albert Einswine on January 14, 2011, 05:22:01 pm

First let's establish the fact that Arkansas isn't scared to play ASU.  We've played and thrashed pretty much all of their conference and that includes the teams from their conference that are better than they are.  Fear has nothing to do with it.

Second let's establish the fact that no money is lost "in the state" from not playing ASU.  Every dollar that UofA ships out with a rent-a-win ASU brings back from selling themselves for someone else's rent-a-win.  Lost money "in the state" has nothing to do with it.

Third let's establish the fact that other sports programs within the state are not the UofA's "little brothers".  Colleges within the state are independent entities, they aren't in some Arkansas "family" and owe no loyalty, allegiance, love or brotherhood to one another.

Fourth let's establish the fact that in a business, and sports is a business, you don't willingly aid your competition in boosting their market share.   Why elevate the profile of other programs within the state?  Let them elevate their own product and sell their own brand without looking to tap into the UofA's revenue stream.

Now,  why should I bother with telling what the UofA has to lose when there is absolutely nothing for them to gain.
Your last sentence says it all for me.
agree to disagree

Albert Einswine

Quote from: BartIV on January 14, 2011, 05:25:42 pm
Your last sentence says it all for me.
agree to disagree

Time to confess, Bart.  You're an ASU fan aren't you?

losthawg68

God Damn you Lost....

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: BartIV on January 14, 2011, 04:51:25 pm
Not in our lifetime.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Albert Einswine

hogturtle

Ask any West Virginia resident how they feel about the "coal bowl", in which the state legislature requires WVU to play Marshall. If they like it, they are Marshall fans. If they are WVU fans, they hate it. It's a lose/lose for WVU and a win/win for Marshall, no matter how the game comes out.

If Arkansas played ASU, it would be ASU's biggest game of the year; while it would be a yawner for us. Not to mention what everyone is afraid to mention, there is always a chance we could lose (I never expected to lose to the Citadel). I would certainly prefer to lose to Little Sisters of the Poor than to ASU. If we lose to Little Sisters, it probably wouldn't significantly impact in-state recruiting. Who knows what would happen with a loss to ASU. Bottom line, if we agree to play ASU, in some way we are saying we are on the same level as ASU. No way that can help recruiting.

BuschHawg

In my opinion we should play them. The game should never be considered a rivalry, and wouldn't be one until A-State becomes a real competitor. Even then it may not develop as a rivalry. I know its not comparing apples and apples, but a lot of states have in-state schools that play one another. Ole Miss vs Mississippi State, Oklahoma vs Oklahoma State, Texas vs A&M. It has nothing to do with whether A-State is in-state or not, but simply the "what do we have to gain" vs the "what do we have to lose" argument. We already play a lot of cupcake teams every year. Ordinarily at least one or two each season. What is the difference in Arkansas playing A-State vs a Louisiana Monroe, Troy or East Tennessee? They are all cupcakes or Tune Up Games. We stand a chance of winning or losing to anyone on any given date. It doesn't matter whether it Texas El Paso or even the Citadel, anything can happen. But, it's up to Arkansas to be prepared and win no matter who the opponent may be. Is Arkansas afraid to play A-State? Afraid of the "Potential" of losing? The potential for losing to A-State is highly unlikely, but it comes with any game. No doubt the game would be a sellout with all Arkansas money staying in Arkansas. Why not help a fellow in-state school try to build their program? I doubt seriously that Arkansas would lose any fans or support to A-State. Are we so arrogant that we think like the Tea Sips of Texas and think we're better than everyone else? While I'm an Arkansas fan and always will be, I'd love to see A-State grow into a competitive program. When their games didn't conflict with Arkansas I'd be interested in following them on occasion. That doesn't make me any less a Razorback fan. I voted Yes, and even though I appear in the minority on this one, I simply don't see why we won't give them a shot at elevating their program.

Inhogswetrust

January 14, 2011, 06:40:29 pm #80 Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 06:43:37 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: BuschHawg on January 14, 2011, 06:24:27 pm
I know its not comparing apples and apples, but a lot of states have in-state schools that play one another. Ole Miss vs Mississippi State, Oklahoma vs Oklahoma State, Texas vs A&M.  I simply don't see why we won't give them a shot at elevating their program.
Your right it's not comparing apples to apples so why mention those games?
It's NOT the hogs job to "help" or give a shot at elevating their program. That's ASU's job.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

RAF

In my opinion we should play them. The game should never be considered a rivalry, and wouldn't be one until A-State becomes a real competitor. Even then it may not develop as a rivalry. I know its not comparing apples and apples, but a lot of states have in-state schools that play one another. Ole Miss vs Mississippi State, Oklahoma vs Oklahoma State, Texas vs A&M. It has nothing to do with whether A-State is in-state or not, but simply the "what do we have to gain" vs the "what do we have to lose" argument. We already play a lot of cupcake teams every year. Ordinarily at least one or two each season. What is the difference in Arkansas playing A-State vs a Louisiana Monroe, Troy or East Tennessee? They are all cupcakes or Tune Up Games. We stand a chance of winning or losing to anyone on any given date. It doesn't matter whether it Texas El Paso or even the Citadel, anything can happen. But, it's up to Arkansas to be prepared and win no matter who the opponent may be. Is Arkansas afraid to play A-State? Afraid of the "Potential" of losing? The potential for losing to A-State is highly unlikely, but it comes with any game. No doubt the game would be a sellout with all Arkansas money staying in Arkansas. Why not help a fellow in-state school try to build their program? I doubt seriously that Arkansas would lose any fans or support to A-State. Are we so arrogant that we think like the Tea Sips of Texas and think we're better than everyone else? While I'm an Arkansas fan and always will be, I'd love to see A-State grow into a competitive program. When their games didn't conflict with Arkansas I'd be interested in following them on occasion. That doesn't make me any less a Razorback fan. I voted Yes, and even though I appear in the minority on this one, I simply don't see why we won't give them a shot at elevating their program.
You're right: it's not "apples-to-apples".  Not only are those teams all of similar stature, they're all required to play each other through conference obligations.  Personally, I sometimes get the feeling that those games wouldn't happen on a regular basis if they had the choice (especially MSU vs. OM... OM likes to pretend they're "above" MSU).

RAF

Quote from: BartIV on January 14, 2011, 05:11:17 pm
How much does Arkansas lose playing a Mo State or Louisana monroe. I know it is in the Hundreds of thousands.  Play A State for nothing at Little Rock, call it the diamond bowl and go from there.
How does the UA lose money by not playing ASU, again?

Albert Einswine

Ole Miss vs Mississippi State, Oklahoma vs Oklahoma State, Texas vs A&M.

Conference mates = invalid comparison.

Why not help a fellow in-state school try to build their program?

Why help?  Who helped the UofA?  Did Sam Walton try to help KMart?  It would've been pretty stupid, huh?

While I’m an Arkansas fan and always will be, I’d love to see A-State grow into a competitive program. When their games didn’t conflict with Arkansas I’d be interested in following them on occasion. That doesn’t make me any less a Razorback fan. I voted Yes, and even though I appear in the minority on this one, I simply don’t see why we won’t give them a shot at elevating their program.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion no matter how illogical.

BuschHawg

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion no matter how illogical.

You're absolutley right...everyone is entitled to their own opinion no matter how illogical. The question then becomes whose opinion is illogical.

It's not really important to me one way or the other whether the two teams play. And, its unlikely to ever happen. But, in my illogical opinion I wouldnt oppose the matchup.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: BuschHawg on January 14, 2011, 07:26:58 pm

You're absolutley right...everyone is entitled to their own opinion no matter how illogical. The question then becomes whose opinion is illogical.

It's not really important to me one way or the other whether the two teams play. And, its unlikely to ever happen. But, in my illogical opinion I wouldnt oppose the matchup.

I'm not trying to crack on you, man, but none of the reasons you listed make any sense from the UofA's interest perspective.

Charity is great when helping mankind but it makes no sense in competition.

Albert Einswine

BVPorker

Albert Einswine

Quote from: BVPorker on January 14, 2011, 08:11:00 pm
That's not how you make 'em?

Naw,  I've just always done the traditional fritos, chile and cheese with jalapenos. 

losthawg68

God Damn you Lost....

Albert Einswine

losthawg68

God Damn you Lost....

Albert Einswine

Quote from: losthawg68 on January 14, 2011, 08:18:49 pm
Looks pretty standard to me.

A closer look reveals that thing is loaded with cilantro.  No way that's standard!

Albert Einswine

losthawg68

Quote from: Albert Einswine on January 14, 2011, 08:22:39 pm

A closer look reveals that thing is loaded with cilantro.  No way that's standard!

You're right, it's almost blasphemous.

God Damn you Lost....

Albert Einswine

BVPorker

Quote from: Albert Einswine on January 14, 2011, 08:22:39 pm

Cilantro is the herb of the Gods.

losthawg68

God Damn you Lost....

Albert Einswine

Quote from: BVPorker on January 14, 2011, 08:24:55 pm
Cilantro is the herb of the Gods.

Only the false ones... and that's a FACT!  Bwwwaaaaahahaha!  :P