Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The season is over, and it has to be done "again"

Started by BartIV, January 14, 2011, 01:27:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the Arkansas Razorbacks play Arkansas State (present mascot)??

Yes
63 (23.4%)
No
145 (53.9%)
Don't Care
38 (14.1%)
Corn Dog
23 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 253

Albert Einswine

"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

BVPorker

HatfieldHawg

The thought that this game would be a "rivalry" is an insult to the U of A.  For someone to be your rival they have to at least be somewhat equal. I think it would be fun to play this game but please don't call it a rivalry.

jgphillips3

This thread is almost a perfect balance between derailed and on topic. It's a beautiful thing.

LSPRazorbac

The way I see it is:

ASU wants this game more than anything.

UofA could care less

If ASU wants this game---poney up and pay the UofA to make it happen.  They can call it their rent-a-loss game.

Other than that stop crying ASU Fans.

Fort Dweller

Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

BartIV

Quote from: Albert Einswine on January 14, 2011, 05:28:37 pm

Time to confess, Bart.  You're an ASU fan aren't you?
I hate to say it, but I don't care about ASU one way or the other. I have never been to jonesboro, watched only one of their college basketball games, and could not tell you who coachs the football team. I know absolutely nothing about ASU.
I just think it would be good for the state of "ARKANSAS". Why treat a brother like a red headed bastard.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: BartIV on January 15, 2011, 03:56:39 pm
I hate to say it, but I don't care about ASU one way or the other. I have never been to jonesboro, watched only one of their college basketball games, and could not tell you who coachs the football team. I know absolutely nothing about ASU.
I just think it would be good for the state of "ARKANSAS". Why treat a brother like a red headed bastard.

They're not a "brother" and the state of "ARKANSAS" has done quite nicely without the UofA being the welfare provider for the other collegiate athletic programs in this state.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

BartIV

January 15, 2011, 04:23:54 pm #108 Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 04:25:35 pm by BartIV

ok, screw it. never play ASU. continue to play Louisiana at Monwho and whoever else arkansas has to "pay to play".
Putting ua and asu together for a once a year romp was just a dream.
U just continue to bash or fear ARKANSAS STATE.

BartIV

albert einswine a.k.a. Frankie Broyles.
Am I close???

Albert Einswine

Quote from: BartIV on January 15, 2011, 04:23:54 pm
ok, screw it. never play ASU. continue to play Louisiana at Monwho and whoever else arkansas has to "pay to play".

No fear at all, pal.  It's actually fun to watch their supporters, much like yourself, gnash and wail about not getting what they want just like rotten children.

Give in to a rotten child and all you get is a more rotten child.

jesterzzn

Quote from: BartIV on January 15, 2011, 04:23:54 pm

WAAAAAH!  Why won't Arkansas give us a handout?  This is Obama's America!  The strong and successful are supposed to handicap themselves for the sake of those that can't manage on their own merits!  WHAAAAHHH!!!

Fricking Cry Baby.  *throws Kleenex*

BartIV

Quote from: Albert Einswine on January 15, 2011, 04:28:58 pm

No fear at all, pal.  It's actually fun to watch their supporters, much like yourself, gnash and wail about not getting what they want just like rotten children.

Give in to a rotten child and all you get is a more rotten child.

Help your fellow man.
Lets just agree to disagree.
Mine being to help build up Arkansas.
Yours being, I really have no clue why you would care if ua and asu played. You have to be a Frank Broyles follower and a possible Nutt hugger.

ke2743

I'm all for it.  Rather help out an instate school then give that money to some other powder puff. 

BartIV

Quote from: jesterzzn on January 15, 2011, 04:33:20 pm
WAAAAAH!  Why won't Arkansas give us a handout?  This is Obama's America!  The strong and successful are supposed to handicap themselves for the sake of those that can't manage on their own merits!  WHAAAAHHH!!!

Fricking Cry Baby.  *throws Kleenex*
This is college football, not a welfare discussion. Remember, this is just a game where people carry a ball. Playing this game isn't life threatening, but for whatever reason, the U of A seems to think so.
U of A is scared of playing. Only possible explanation.
ASU is jealous and would love to be at that level.

I am closing the poll. the people have decided against playing this game.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: BartIV on January 15, 2011, 04:36:47 pm
Help your fellow man.
Lets just agree to disagree.
Mine being to help build up Arkansas.
Yours being, I really have no clue why you would care if ua and asu played. You have to be a Frank Broyles follower and a possible Nutt hugger.

If you knew anything at all about University of Arkansas history you'd know the policy pre-dates Frank by decades.

If you knew anything about me you'd know I despise Nutt.

You don't know a lot.

You keep pimping the ASU myth that the game somehow helps the state when there's not one iota of evidence to support it. 

What panacea would result from one college football game being played every year?  Quantify it with something believable or stop parroting it.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: ke2743 on January 15, 2011, 04:37:28 pm
I'm all for it.  Rather help out an instate school then give that money to some other powder puff. 

Why?  Shouldn't they be in the business of helping themselves?

ke2743

Quote from: Albert Einswine on January 15, 2011, 04:49:16 pm

Why?  Shouldn't they be in the business of helping themselves?

Shouldn't the other cream puffs be in the business of helping themselves?

DEVIL DOG HOG

The only OOC game that wwe may gain from it the Texas A&M game. We don't gain anything from beating any other minor league team we play. These games are played in Arkansas. No player will say I want to play for ULM so Arkansas can beat the hell out of me. There is not any reason as to why Arkansas and Arkansas State don't play each other! 
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

Albert Einswine

Quote from: ke2743 on January 15, 2011, 04:50:14 pm
Shouldn't the other cream puffs be in the business of helping themselves?

They are.  They schedule games for money with teams who are willing to pay them substantially to take a woodshed whipping.

In some cases, like Appalachian St. vs. Michigan or Citadel vs. Arkansas, they get over.   But they were willing to take a beating and collect the paycheck.

Shouldn't the school who's paying for the tune-up have the right to decide who to tune-up against.

ASU and their supporters want to be treated as peers.  Great, go out there and start winning your conference, going to your bowl game and winning some of those.  Become a fixture in the rankings.  Beat some of the big boys who are paying you a whipping fee.  Make a real case for the game instead of just throwing a tantrum and saying we want it, we want it, we want it!!

Don't come with weak, hole riddled crapola like "it would be good for the state" or "you play other Sunbelt schools, you're afraid of us".

Let ASU make a compelling argument as to why this game should be played.  So far there isn't one.

Cotton

First of all, I would like to see them play at least once. At least then we would know if it makes sense or not

Here are some things to consider.

1. In Louisiana, Loser State U plays an instate team every year. I believe this was mandated by the legislature to keep money instate.

2. Arkansas is actually NOT the ideal opponent for ASU. ASU got $1 Million for playing Auburn. They also like to play top 10 teams for recruiting purposes. Until this past year, Arkansas has not had a top 10 team.

3. We as "true" razorback fans will never admit that we are scared to play ASU. But deep down there is that feeling of uncertainty. The "what if" they pull off another upset like Texas A&M. "What if" another citadel happens. We wouldn't lose recruits over it, Arkansas is on a different level than ASU. But it would be a horrible loss to swallow.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

wmr

Yeah, sounds like a thrilling rivalry....

Right on a par with the heated LSU/Louisiana-Monroe series. 

::)

jesterzzn

Quote from: Cotton on January 15, 2011, 05:17:25 pm
1. In Louisiana, Loser State U plays an instate team every year. I believe this was mandated by the legislature to keep money instate.
Then their legislature has the collective intelligence of the mental midgets that try and use that argument here in Arkansas.  Aka, none.

Cotton

4. It should never be called a rivalry.

In-state match up of Sunbelt and SEC would be the correct term
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

HOGtradition

So we don't want to play Ark. St. because there is nothing in it for us?  Why play Louisiana Monroe?  UTEP?  Makes more sense to me that we play them and keep all money involved in state.  Why give Louisanan's economy a boost?  :) 

codeHog

Quote from: BartIV on January 14, 2011, 01:27:28 pm
I say it is time for an in-state rivalry. Long overdue.

anti Razorback people need a board of their own

codeHog

Quote from: HOGtradition on January 15, 2011, 07:05:49 pm
So we don't want to play Ark. St. because there is nothing in it for us?  Why play Louisiana Monroe?  UTEP?  Makes more sense to me that we play them and keep all money involved in state.  Why give Louisanan's economy a boost?  :) 

bogus claim by ASU fans

RAF

Quote from: Cotton on January 15, 2011, 05:17:25 pm
First of all, I would like to see them play at least once. At least then we would know if it makes sense or not

Here are some things to consider.

2. Arkansas is actually NOT the ideal opponent for ASU. ASU got $1 Million for playing Auburn. They also like to play top 10 teams for recruiting purposes. Until this past year, Arkansas has not had a top 10 team.

3. We as "true" razorback fans will never admit that we are scared to play ASU. But deep down there is that feeling of uncertainty. The "what if" they pull off another upset like Texas A&M. "What if" another citadel happens. We wouldn't lose recruits over it, Arkansas is on a different level than ASU. But it would be a horrible loss to swallow.
1. Doesn't make economical sense.  That may be the reason why they do it, but it doesn't mean it's not stupid.

2.  I'm sure that whole "we roll over and play dead for top 10 teams in exchange for wads of cash" thing goes over real well in recruiting.  You're kidding, right?

3.  That argument could be applied to any rent-a-win we play.  Yet, we still play them.  Something doesn't quite add up in the logic...

UncleFrank

QuoteThere is not any reason as to why Arkansas and Arkansas State don't play each other!

Sure there is.......ASU is not a legitimate Division One team.  They masquerade as one, but they're not.
They have subpar facilities, a tiny fanbase, no money, and a third-rate program.
At least Louisiana-Monroe is a legit D-1 program (not a very good one, but that's not really the point).

Now, on the other hand, if you really wanna make a good argument, try bringing up the fact that we're playing Missouri State again next year...........there's a point to make...........they're not really a legit D-1 school, either.........a lot like Arkansas State.......we're gonna play 'em, though  ;D

TOM "tbw1"

Elkins should also play Fayetteville High.

ASU's football program is paid for by the taxpayers of Arkansas.  They have a home average of 17,689.  In comparison UCA averages 8,571.  They have not and can not support their program as the University does.

There is no economic benefit to playing them at all.  Our athletic department does not need to support A-State.  However, should they consider having a junior college program that would be a feeder program for the Razorbacks, I would fully support that.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

pitbull1

1.  If ASU wants to play Arkansas soooooooo bad then let them pony up the money to play us.
2.  It makes no sense for us to play ASU, there is nothing in it for us.  If we play them and one of our players accidently gets hurt, then what do we do.

elksnort

Quote from: tbw1 on January 15, 2011, 10:37:53 pm
Elkins should also play Fayetteville High.

ASU's football program is paid for by the taxpayers of Arkansas.  They have a home average of 17,689.  In comparison UCA averages 8,571.  They have not and can not support their program as the University does.

There is no economic benefit to playing them at all.  Our athletic department does not need to support A-State.  However, should they consider having a junior college program that would be a feeder program for the Razorbacks, I would fully support that.
This is actually a good idea. I am a fan of ASU also, but the reality of it is simple. The State of Arkansas can only support one VIABLE division I program. The ASUs, UABs, Memphis, MAC schools, UTEP, etc. need to be in a different league.

Jeff Clinton

I didn't read every post but I remember playing ASU in basketball and almost losing. I thought then how UA had absolutely everything to loose and nothing to gain from that game

elksnort

Football is the one sport that I don't think Uof A and ASU should play. The rest of the sports, it does not really matter.