Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The season is over, and it has to be done "again"

Started by BartIV, January 14, 2011, 01:27:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the Arkansas Razorbacks play Arkansas State (present mascot)??

Yes
63 (23.4%)
No
145 (53.9%)
Don't Care
38 (14.1%)
Corn Dog
23 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 253

BartIV

I say it is time for an in-state rivalry. Long overdue.

elksnort

ASU, along with many many other schools ought to be Div. 1AA.
There is not enought resources in this this state to support to viable D1 schools.
No they should not play each other.

ICEman

I don't think Jeff Long Overdue will permit this to happen.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

RAF

Even if we ever play them, it won't be a rivalry.  Rivalries are between schools of similar stature (think tOSU vs Mich, Cal vs. Stanford, Texas vs. OU, Florida vs. UGA).  ASU would be nothing but a rent-a-win, and there are tangible advantages to playing rent-a-wins from other states that ASU can't provide.

lokopig

As said a thousand times before, (maybe one hundred thousand times), the benefits for the U of A (NONE), and the benefits for A-State (everything) are the main reason not to play. If you need a detailed list of the pros and cons for each University, take a yellow pad and work it out.

superior_wang

LEt em play. Alot more interesting that playing NE Montana State Teachers college .

hobhog

Quote from: superior_wang on January 14, 2011, 01:39:39 pm
LEt em play. Alot more interesting that playing NE Montana State Teachers college .

We recruit in Montana now. Good exposure.

RAF

Quote from: superior_wang on January 14, 2011, 01:39:39 pm
No, the interest level would be pretty much the same, from an Arkansas fan's standpoint.  Who cares if ASU fans would find it more exciting?

RazorTexan

Arkansas State should give up football, they suck at it.
Texan by choice, Razorback by the grace of God.

Democrats quit telling lies about the right and we will quit telling the truth about you

losthawg68

Look here, you can't just throw corndog into a poll for the heck of it.  You are going to cause hogville to implode if you keep it up.

And I could care less about an in-state rivalry one way or another.
Re:  I just came into some money...
Quote from: cosmodrum on April 01, 2011, 01:34:40 pm
Why money...didn't have a sock or tissue handy?

Quote from: Slacker on August 14, 2012, 10:57:10 pm
God Damn you Lost....

superior_wang

Quote from: dxf04 on January 14, 2011, 01:47:56 pm
No, the interest level would be pretty much the same, from an Arkansas fan's standpoint.  Who cares if ASU fans would find it more exciting?
I dont care about ASU in the least. But I also dont care about trash teams like ULM, LA- Lafayette , western Illinois.......

kitarae

losthawg68

God Damn you Lost....

Tim Harris

Quote from: lokopig on January 14, 2011, 01:38:57 pm
As said a thousand times before, (maybe one hundred thousand times), the benefits for the U of A (NONE), and the benefits for A-State (everything) are the main reason not to play. If you need a detailed list of the pros and cons for each University, take a yellow pad and work it out.

What about the exposure to the state Ar for recruiting purposes?  That has to be worth something.

RazorTexan

Arkansas State football is so bad it kills the blackbirds.

Democrats quit telling lies about the right and we will quit telling the truth about you

RAF

Quote from: superior_wang on January 14, 2011, 01:51:18 pm
I dont care about ASU in the least. But I also dont care about trash teams like ULM, LA- Lafayette , western Illinois.......
It sounds like we agree that there is absolutely no reason to play ASU.

PorkSoda

while it would be nice to keep the rent a win money instate, I don't really see the point of playing arkansas state.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Albert Einswine

"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

RAF

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 14, 2011, 01:59:03 pm
while it would be nice to keep the rent a win money instate, I don't really see the point of playing arkansas state.
Who cares about keeping it "instate"?  It doesn't go toward lowering anybody's taxes.  It just subsidizes ASU's athletic dept.

Albert Einswine

Porksoda, the rent a win money staying in-state isn't a problem.  Any money we send out with ULM, ASU brings right back from Auburn.  It's a push.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

superior_wang

Quote from: dxf04 on January 14, 2011, 01:59:00 pm
It sounds like we agree that there is absolutely no reason to play ASU.
yes, I agree there is no good  reason to play ASU, other than they are a nice bye week for the hogs, same with any  Louisiana directional school as well.

PorkSoda

Quote from: dxf04 on January 14, 2011, 02:02:18 pm
Who cares about keeping it "instate"?  It doesn't go toward lowering anybody's taxes.  It just subsidizes ASU's athletic dept.
which is located in arkansas and gives scholarships to kids who live in arkansas and pays professors that live in arkansas. etc. 
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

RazorTexan

Arkansas State should change their name to the "Squeelers". They have such hog envy.

RAF

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 14, 2011, 02:06:12 pm
which is located in arkansas and gives scholarships to kids who live in arkansas and pays professors that live in arkansas. etc.
None of the rent-a-win money goes toward any of that.  In fact, if you're truly worried about that, you would likely support downgrading ASU's athletic program.  They've been siphoning money from campus housing and the academic units for years to pay for their athletic expenses.

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: BartIV on January 14, 2011, 01:27:28 pm
I say it is time for an in-state rivalry. Long overdue.

I say anybody that brings this subject up again should be banned.  The University of Arkansas Football program gains absolutely NOTHING by scheduling ASU. Period.  End of discussion.

Choctaw Hog

gbaurnett

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on January 14, 2011, 02:11:29 pm
I say anybody that brings this subject up again should be banned.  The University of Arkansas Football program gains absolutely NOTHING by scheduling ASU. Period.  End of discussion.

I agree

kgr

What have we learned in 2,064 years?

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to
work,  instead of living on public assistance."
                                                               -
Cicero   - 55 BC

So,   evidently nothing.

Albert Einswine

The "keep the money in-state" theory is just so terribly flawed unless people believe money that issues from the UofA's bank account has some mystical power that money from Missouri, Auburn, Texas or A&M does not.  No money is lost out of state because we don't play ASU.

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 14, 2011, 02:06:12 pm

So money ASU would make from playing the Hogs in a football game would be used to pay professors and provide non-athletic scholarships?  Please elaborate.

Hogman2

I do not want the Hogs to play Arkansas State!  It would be a waste of time! By the way, I would doubt the gate receipts go toward paying a professor's salary @ A State.  It would go toward paying off all the wasted scholarships A State uses to build a mediocre at best football program.

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

Hornkiller

Look at the interstate rivalries for teams not in the same conference: Georgia / Georiga Tech, Florida / FSU, USC-E / Clemson... there is something on the line besides state pride. Namly conference pride and recruiting besides being state champs. So SEC vs Sun Belt.. nah. And you can already name off why kids want to come here instead of ASU/

Now there is the curisous case of OU or Okie Lite playing Tulsa in Tulsa. Is this to thank the fans that won't drive an hour to Stillwater or 90 minutes to Norman? Don't know, but Arkansas doesn't have that problem since two games are already down in the center of the state (opening another off season debate)

Really, outside of being the best in Arkansas what's the draw? What is it that would bring TV cameras in and get us a in the first 15 minutes of SportsCenter?

hogfan14

Quote from: tbharris on January 14, 2011, 01:54:53 pm
What about the exposure to the state Ar for recruiting purposes?  That has to be worth something.

well if recruits who live in arkansas dont already know enough about the hogs then thats their problem lol

Dropkick

ASU made the fatal mistake of moving up to D1 football before they could support it. Their fans want to blame U of A, JFB for their misfortune but it is their mess. I believe even Lacewell tried to tell them they weren't big-time material.

1highhog

For it to even be  a viable Game, ASU needs to be somewhere on the same level as the Razorbacks are, and they are not even close.  I always want all of the Arkansas College teams to win their games, but let's face it, ASU should have stayed in a lower Classification than moving up to D1, because ever since they did that, they have suffered.  Playing the Razorbacks is not going to help their suffering.

autohog

Quote from: lokopig on January 14, 2011, 01:38:57 pm

Amen...and especially to the players.  This game would mean NOTHING to the Hogs and would be A-state's superbowl.  There is just no reason for it. 

oldman1015

only if we have a flyover, play it in little rock, and the hogs wear black uniforms.
Arkansas, the left lane state.

Arkapigdiesel

Maybe we can get the A State football team to come over here and hold practice dummies.  That's the only reason they belong on the same field as us.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 10:54:27 am
Show me a school that has rational fans and I'll show you a loser.

Pignutx32

Quote from: oldman1015 on January 14, 2011, 02:51:14 pm
only if we have a flyover, play it in little rock, and the hogs wear black uniforms.

What channel can I get the game on?

DLUXHOG

Honestly???  They aren't even at the level of the current rent-a-win teams we play.   I say no, we have everything to lose and nothing to gain.    No one, "nationally", would take a flake of notice of this level of competition.   It would definitely put a dark spot on our schedule.
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

duck slayer

Thank you sooo much for getting this over with!!!  No need to discuss further.

Same date, same poll next year?

P.S. voted no since hell no wasn't an option

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: tbharris on January 14, 2011, 01:54:53 pm
Exposure inside the state? You have got to be kidding!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: losthawg68 on January 14, 2011, 01:50:28 pm
Look here, you can't just throw corndog into a poll for the heck of it.  You are going to cause hogville to implode if you keep it up.

And I could care less about an in-state rivalry one way or another.
How about BBQ Nacho's!!!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

cosmodrum

Quote from: Pignutx32 on January 14, 2011, 02:58:13 pm
What channel can I get the game on?

Blacked out in the state of Arkansas sorry. Have to PPV.
Go away, batin'

SPAL

This is like asking of the Fayetteville junior high squad should suit up and play the senior high squad on friday nights in front of a packed house. Really?

PorkSoda

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 14, 2011, 03:06:55 pm
How about BBQ Nacho's!!!
No a chance,  Frito Pie is the only valid option on Hogville.

losthawg68

God Damn you Lost....

Albert Einswine