Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ASU on ESPN2, And...

Started by jikhead, November 02, 2010, 08:39:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Seminole Indian

November 04, 2010, 10:35:09 am #100 Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 10:39:12 am by Seminole Indian
Quote from: SgtPepper on November 04, 2010, 10:16:57 am
Here's the difference between UofA fans and ASU fans in NE Arkansas.

Most ASU fans in NEA take an active part in ASU athletics and regularly attend sporting events.

Most UofA fans in NEA have no ties to the UofA.  They just went to Wal-Mart, bought themselves a Razorback t-shirt and annointed themselves a fan.  Their idea of supporting their team is watching them on TV.

Really I have never met an Arkansas Alumni who did not understand why someone who went to ASU might support ASU or why the regional businesses do.

Problem is that most people in Arkansas, or probably any where for that matter, are not alumni of any college or university. I find that  they tend to be the more obnoxious, but hey they are fans doing what some fans do. Probably goes back to that insecurity thing or having to much to drink and that is not an Arkansas thing. Do the same thing in Tennessee.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Seminole Indian

November 04, 2010, 10:52:20 am #101 Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 10:53:54 am by Seminole Indian
Quote from: nwarazfan on November 04, 2010, 10:32:10 am
The sad part is the ASU fan base is so small.  You wish you could attract a "t-shirt" fan base.  Perhaps if some of you wouldn't blame all of your problems on the UA and Broyles and wouldn't behave like classless idiots like the WNIT game, you would have more support in the state. 

The most pathetic part is when ASU is playing a home game yet ASU students and alumni attend the Razorback game instead.  That has got to be hard on that small group of ASU fans.
Do not get mean. Look if Coach Petrino stays at Arkansas ever so often you guys are going to win enough to get into a major bowl and it is not impossible that you could make a BCS bowl.

If Coach Freeze stays at ASU ever so often they are going to win enough to get in a bowl.

Let's just enjoy what we have while we have it because it has not been that long ago since you were staring a loss to ULM in the face and ASU was losing to some bad FCS teams in front of 2000 fans. Lets just hope we both never go there again.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

nwarazfan

November 04, 2010, 11:00:53 am #102 Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 11:03:05 am by nwarazfan
Quote from: Seminole Indian on November 04, 2010, 10:52:20 am
Do not get mean. Look if Coach Petrino stays at Arkansas ever so often you guys are going to win enough to get into a major bowl and it is not impossible that you could make a BCS bowl.

If Coach Freeze stays at ASU ever so often they are going to win enough to get in a bowl.

Let's just enjoy what we have while we have it because it has not been that long since you were staring a loss to ULM in the face and ASU was losing to some bad FCS teams in front of 2000 fans. Lets just hope we both never go there again.

I've been patient while your fellow ASU fans' posts started trending towards things you would read on the old tribalgrounds.  If they want to make those kinds of posts, they can head back to the ASU board.  I'm courteous and supportive of ASU and will defend them.  But that is exclusive of my support for the UA and I don't ignore that small faction of the ASU fan base that crosses the line. 

I hope ASU wins out.  I checked the sched out Tu night and noticed the Navy game.  That offense is always going to be tough to defend.  Another tv appearance for ASU plus in the summer, CBS Sports or whatever the channel is replays Navy games and has a show on Navy football.  Good pub for a ASU.  Even if you don't get the Sun Belt Ch, get to 7 wins and with so many bowls I'm sure they'll be a spot which would of course help your building process.

We will get to a BCS bowl at some point under Petrino and will be in bowls in the tier just below more seasons than not.  The problem with being in the SEC and with the toughness of an SEC schedule, it is difficult to point to a season and say that is the one where it will happen. 

GuvHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 03, 2010, 01:04:22 am
This is not true. I have a business in Jboro. Wish it was true but it is not. There are probably as many hog fans here in NEA as Red Wolves.

There is also 1 particular restaurant in Jonesboro that has sports paraphernalia from ASU and all of the local high schools hanging on their walls but they made it a point not to put any Razorback stuff up there and I've always wondered why. I've been sorely tempted to ask the manager about it but didn't want to make a fool of myself.

Nice win for ASU and yeah, election night and the rain really did hurt the crowd.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

ark30inf

Most UofA fans in NEA have no ties to the UofA.  They just went to Wal-Mart, bought themselves a Razorback t-shirt and annointed themselves a fan.  Their idea of supporting their team is watching them on TV.

Well, that is true of UA fans in much of the state.  All of these universities are public institutions supported to some degree, more or less, by taxpayer dollars.  So in a sense, we as Arkansans own all of them and we all have some relation to them whether we attended them as students or not.  As taxpayers, we really ought to wish them all to succeed.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: nwarazfan on November 04, 2010, 11:00:53 am
I've been patient while your fellow ASU fans' posts started trending towards things you would read on the old tribalgrounds.  If they want to make those kinds of posts, they can head back to the ASU board.  I'm courteous and supportive of ASU and will defend them.  But that is exclusive of my support for the UA and I don't ignore that small faction of the ASU fan base that crosses the line. 

I hope ASU wins out.  I checked the sched out Tu night and noticed the Navy game.  That offense is always going to be tough to defend.  Another tv appearance for ASU plus in the summer, CBS Sports or whatever the channel is replays Navy games and has a show on Navy football.  Good pub for a ASU.  Even if you don't get the Sun Belt Ch, get to 7 wins and with so many bowls I'm sure they'll be a spot which would of course help your building process.

We will get to a BCS bowl at some point under Petrino and will be in bowls in the tier just below more seasons than not.  The problem with being in the SEC and with the toughness of an SEC schedule, it is difficult to point to a season and say that is the one where it will happen.
I assure you most ASU fans hope you win ever game you play. That is not even really being nice, because long time ASU fans know ASU  has never been good in football except when the Razorbacks have been good and there are real reasons for that. ASU needs the Uof A to be good in everything because it helps us.

MTBrookHog

If only the Administration had listened to Coach Lacewell, the program would have been in a lot better shape by now. He knew what he was talking about. If ASU would have stayed in Div. 1-AA for just a few more years and played for the championship year in and year out, the transition would have been a lot easier. But, the Administration was dead set to go to 1-A at ALL costs. It has taken this long for ASU to get where it is.
I am working with a kid that goes to ASU and is from Ohio. He is an Ohio St. fan. I see that as what is the difference with Arkansas kids being Hog fans and attending ASU. My son went to ASU because we could not afford to send him to the Hill. That is the case for a lot of kids over here.

elksnort

Most programs need the "subway alumni" to have a viable fan base. The enrollment of most schools could not produce enough alumni to fill a stadium. There is nothing wrong with having many fans of a school that did not attend that school.

SwineFlew

Quote from: MTBrookHog on November 04, 2010, 01:15:50 pm
If only the Administration had listened to Coach Lacewell, the program would have been in a lot better shape by now. He knew what he was talking about. If ASU would have stayed in Div. 1-AA for just a few more years and played for the championship year in and year out, the transition would have been a lot easier. But, the Administration was dead set to go to 1-A at ALL costs. It has taken this long for ASU to get where it is.

A lot of truth to this....Lacewell was/is a very smart man.

Seminole Indian

November 04, 2010, 02:33:01 pm #109 Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 02:34:45 pm by Seminole Indian
Quote from: MTBrookHog on November 04, 2010, 01:15:50 pm
I am working with a kid that goes to ASU and is from Ohio. He is an Ohio St. fan. I see that as what is the difference with Arkansas kids being Hog fans and attending ASU. My son went to ASU because we could not afford to send him to the Hill. That is the case for a lot of kids over here.
It would have been better if we had waited one more year . That is when the NCAA allowed players to transfer down without setting out a year. Could have stocked up on transfers before moving up.

For the record Lacewell is on record as saying ASU's move to FBS was the right move, just not the right way. Most ASU fans in hindsight now agree.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: elksnort on November 04, 2010, 01:20:27 pm
Most programs need the "subway alumni" to have a viable fan base. The enrollment of most schools could not produce enough alumni to fill a stadium. There is nothing wrong with having many fans of a school that did not attend that school.
Absolutely nothing wrong with it and what school would not want them as fans. Well  maybe not the Ivy League schools.

Many if not most of my friends, who are as a rule smarter than I am,  either did not have the opportunity to go or did not want to go to college. Most are Razorback fans.

Hope you guys make them happy and win out the rest of the season.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: nwarazfan on November 04, 2010, 08:35:34 am
I believe ASU had to expand in order to meet the at the time NCAA capacity requirements.  Would have looked much better if they had not been pressed to do that and could have added a matching upper deck on the east side when they could have obtained the financing.  Instead they had to go quicker and cheaper to get to over 30K. 
That is correct. The NCAA rules required an expansion.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Seminole Indian on November 04, 2010, 02:33:01 pm
It would have been better if we had waited one more year . That is when the NCAA allowed players to transfer down without setting out a year. Could have stocked up on transfers before moving up.

For the record Lacewell is on record as saying ASU's move to FBS was the right move, just not the right way. Most ASU fans in hindsight now agree.
Lacewell still comes back to Jonesboro sometimes and talks to coaches, admins. and others around town.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Got_da_captain

The sad part is the ASU fan base is so small.  You wish you could attract a "t-shirt" fan base.  Perhaps if some of you wouldn't blame all of your problems on the UA and Broyles and wouldn't behave like classless idiots like the WNIT game, you would have more support in the state

Really Classless Idiots!!! WOW..you just provedyouwere the classless idiot.GO around college football Cusa, WAc, mtn west.Mac..I think you will find ASU attendance is above "average" for non AQ conferences.

Inhogswetrust

November 04, 2010, 04:29:47 pm #114 Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 04:35:00 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: GUVHOG on November 04, 2010, 11:07:34 am
There is also 1 particular restaurant in Jonesboro that has sports paraphernalia from ASU and all of the local high schools hanging on their walls but they made it a point not to put any Razorback stuff up there and I've always wondered why. I've been sorely tempted to ask the manager about it but didn't want to make a fool of myself.

Nice win for ASU and yeah, election night and the rain really did hurt the crowd.
True on the restaurant and they don't know it loses them business sometimes. I've personally heard of it.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 04, 2010, 04:26:53 pm
Lacewell still comes back to Jonesboro sometimes and talks to coaches, admins. and others around town.
I thought he had a home there, and I see him at the a local health club the Trim Gym on occasion working out.

Very smart guy and was a very good coach.

Inhogswetrust

Here's the difference between UofA fans and ASU fans in NE Arkansas.

Being a UA grad and living/working in Jonesboro and involved, I assure you this is NOT true. There are a lot of UA grads in NEA.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 04, 2010, 04:29:47 pm
True on the restaurant and they don't know it loses them business sometimes. I've personally heard of it.
Really do not know of any reason a place would not want any Razorback stuff in their place but there may be one. For all I know there may be some businesses  in NW Arkansas that does not want ASU stuff but probably not.

Would be rather small minded, bush league and another one of those insecurity deals.

MTBrookHog

The "Paint the Town Red" campaign is good for schools like ASU and Mr. Willis does a fine job with the art work. I like it because its kinda an intimation factor when the opposing teams drive through town and see all the businesses painted up.

twistitup

Quote from: MTBrookHog on November 04, 2010, 04:54:04 pm
The "Paint the Town Red" campaign is good for schools like ASU and Mr. Willis does a fine job with the art work. I like it because its kinda an intimation factor when the opposing teams drive through town and see all the businesses painted up.

Opposing teams get intimidated by paint?
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: clutch on November 03, 2010, 09:02:25 pm
Wait, wasn't the whole point that many businesses put stuff on their windows in support of the Red Wolves? I think that was aaron's whole point. To me that is showing support, I don't know what else a small time business can really do to support a program as most don't have the funds available to donate much to them. I live in Jonesboro and will just have to disagree with you on this one. I think the local businesses do a great job of supporting the Red Wolves. I thought of your post today while I was driving down Caraway road and tried to count how many places I saw with stuff on their windows. I lost count.

I hope you are right, but I am not so sure on how secure his job is. There is a lot of angry Red Wolves fans in the area. Their main complaint is that he can't win a road game. I think he has done a great job with the program and hope that they keep him around. I think he can turn them into a SBC champion contender year in and year out, especially if HF stays. However, I have started to wonder if they brought HF in as the next in line.
I never said there wasn't support. The support is good but not great. We think there could be MORE support locally. The post didn't differentiate between small or large businesses. BOTH could give more support. I drive down Caraway a lot. Today I counted 10 businesses with windows painted. Two of those had the old Indian logo on them! That was between Hwy. 63 and the railroad tracks in front of the campus. Think about how many businesses there are on Caraway in that distance. That is also a road that heads right into the main part of the campus. Although that is a "good" number painted it is not a "great" number. It should be much more. All college towns have various degrees of support from their local communities. Unfortunately Jonesboro's is no greater than other similar schools. Some postings on here made it seem like it was the best of any similar school and that is just not the case. I wish it were true but it isn't.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Kicking Wing on November 03, 2010, 10:35:34 pm
You may not be trying to dog anyone but you are FAR from factual.
As a member of the Chamber of Commerce unfortunately he is not that far from factual.

Inhogswetrust

November 04, 2010, 05:40:56 pm #122 Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 05:46:57 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: SgtPepper on November 04, 2010, 10:18:44 am
Which business do you own?
Sorry but I'm not going to tell what business. I have customers of all schools and some do take it so seriously that they would not be a customer if they saw things I've posted on here and knew who I was. I'm also affiliated with businesses in other parts of the state. Besides I'm not here to advertise.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Seminole Indian on November 04, 2010, 04:42:55 pm
Really do not know of any reason a place would not want any Razorback stuff in their place but there may be one. For all I know there may be some businesses  in NW Arkansas that does not want ASU stuff but probably not.

Would be rather small minded, bush league and another one of those insecurity deals.
You are correct. Very small minded and bush league.

Seminole Indian

November 04, 2010, 07:01:24 pm #124 Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 07:10:46 pm by Seminole Indian
Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 04, 2010, 05:18:51 pm
I never said there wasn't support. The support is good but not great. We think there could be MORE support locally. The post didn't differentiate between small or large businesses. BOTH could give more support. I drive down Caraway a lot. Today I counted 10 businesses with windows painted. Two of those had the old Indian logo on them! That was between Hwy. 63 and the railroad tracks in front of the campus. Think about how many businesses there are on Caraway in that distance. That is also a road that heads right into the main part of the campus. Although that is a "good" number painted it is not a "great" number. It should be much more. All college towns have various degrees of support from their local communities. Unfortunately Jonesboro's is no greater than other similar schools. Some postings on here made it seem like it was the best of any similar school and that is just not the case. I wish it were true but it isn't.
I think Jonesboro does support ASU well. Like most ASU fans I do not live in Jonesboro but I do live close. Most of the tailgaters, and they are maxing out those spots every year and getting more, come from all over for every game and many from out of state. It is nice to see all the businesses in Jonesboro supporting our team.

Do not know why when people talk about ASU people start talking  about Jonesboro, like you must be from there. Jonesboro is just the town ASU is in most fans live somewhere else but most who attend the games come from throughout NE Arkansas. Jonesboro might provide 10K-12K of a 25K Crowd. I use to drive up to the games from Dallas, Tx and Lexington, Ky when I worked in those places.

Inhogswetrust

November 04, 2010, 07:41:22 pm #125 Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 07:44:34 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Seminole Indian on November 04, 2010, 07:01:24 pm
I think Jonesboro does support ASU well. Like most ASU fans I do not live in Jonesboro but I do live close. Most of the tailgaters, and they are maxing out those spots every year and getting more, come from all over for every game and many from out of state. It is nice to see all the businesses in Jonesboro supporting our team.

Do not know why when people talk about ASU people start talking  about Jonesboro, like you must be from there. Jonesboro is just the town ASU is in most fans live somewhere else but most who attend the games come from throughout NE Arkansas. Jonesboro might provide 10K-12K of a 25K Crowd. I use to drive up to the games from Dallas, Tx and Lexington, Ky when I worked in those places.
I agree with you that Jonesboro supports ASU well. That support doesn't always translate into dollars unfortunately. They could still get more support than they do. I think most people do realize ASU is not just Jonesboro but is NEA. However the population of NEA is concentrated in Jonesboro, Paragould and Blytheville. It's kind of like NWA with Fayetteville, Springdale and Rogers/Bentonville except with not as much population. When people go to games in Fayetteville they realize that there is more to NWA than just Fayetteville.

ke2743

Quote from: Seminole Indian on November 04, 2010, 06:10:27 am
Actually this type of misinformation is something you get use to when it comes to sports in Arkansas and that goes back to that monopoly thing. That and a fundamental insecurity that permeates this state that only the Razorbacks can cure.
The fact that the University of Arkansas has a first rate athletic program, is in the SEC, is a fine school  and are the #1 team in Arkansas  is not enough for a few of their fans , and most of the media  and they can never acknowledge that there is another FBS program in Arkansas.

Cannot tell you how many times I have seen people from other parts on the ASU campus for the first time just walking around and gawking. When asked what they think most simply say they did not have a clue ASU was as impressive as it is. Most though it was like UCA.

I have never understood why it is this way in this state , just that it is. It is a Arkansas thing.

Now this has some merit to it.  However, we were not talking about academics or campus aesthetics in the earlier posts.  ASU has come a long way in the past 10 years campus wise.  As to the rating of ASU's academic programs and education, I can not judge.  I can say that 7 years ago I took Spanish during the summer at AState because as long as you showed up you at least got a C.  But that is not basis of this thread.

ke2743

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 04, 2010, 05:34:18 pm
As a member of the Chamber of Commerce unfortunately he is not that far from factual.

I think we might attend some of the same meetings. 

GreenwayTigerHog

Somebody really wouldn't go to a resturant because they didn't put up stuff from a particular sports team?  Really?  REALLY?  That is grade school drama right there.

Regarding the situation at the WNIT, I don't know anything about it but could it have been any worse than the Men's NIT game at Barnhill?  I personally know a few ASU fans & cheerleaders that were verbally harrassed & had ice, cups, etc. thrown at them.  Was it worse than that? 

hog golf

who was the coach wearing a San Francisco 49er hat on the ASU sideline? thought that was fairly bizarre. don't usually see a coach wearing another team's gear on the sideline during a game ON NATIONAL TV.
I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize

GreenwayTigerHog

Quote from: hog golf on November 05, 2010, 09:15:58 am
who was the coach wearing a San Francisco 49er hat on the ASU sideline? thought that was fairly bizarre. don't usually see a coach wearing another team's gear on the sideline during a game ON NATIONAL TV.

I noticed that & wondered the same. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GreenwayTigerHog on November 05, 2010, 08:49:32 am
Somebody really wouldn't go to a resturant because they didn't put up stuff from a particular sports team?  Really?  REALLY?  That is grade school drama right there.

Regarding the situation at the WNIT, I don't know anything about it but could it have been any worse than the Men's NIT game at Barnhill?  I personally know a few ASU fans & cheerleaders that were verbally harrassed & had ice, cups, etc. thrown at them.  Was it worse than that? 
A lot of people do act "grade school" when it comes to being a sports fan.

Chemo-Sabee

That was not a coach.  It was the guy that works with TV broadcast and stands on field during timeouts

GreenwayTigerHog

That would make much more sense

Seminole Indian

Quote from: ke2743 on November 04, 2010, 07:42:40 pm
Now this has some merit to it.  However, we were not talking about academics or campus aesthetics in the earlier posts.  ASU has come a long way in the past 10 years campus wise.  As to the rating of ASU's academic programs and education, I can not judge.  I can say that 7 years ago I took Spanish during the summer at AState because as long as you showed up you at least got a C.  But that is not basis of this thread.
That post was basically in response to some of the post on this that that were really not accurate.

As an example even if I wanted to bad mouth the Razorback to even the most hard core Razorback hating ASU fan that I know and I started out saying things that were not really factual they, would correct me on the spot. That is not always the  case when it comes to ASU sports and misinformation is often not corrected and I was just reacting to that.