Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ASU on ESPN2, And...

Started by jikhead, November 02, 2010, 08:39:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jikhead

what an embarrassment with the crowd.  I just got home and flipped to the ASU game to at least give them a little love, and WOW.  The attendance looks like a high school game.  Way to not support your university NE ARK and Jonesboro.

cashmoneyman_04

if you are going to say that you have to say arkansas' attendance after the rain delays against ole miss was an embarrassment.  its pouring up here.
Fool me once, strike one....Fool me twice......strike 3
Pippity Poppity give me the Zoppity
You have to play to win, but you have to win to play

NeverYield

Quote from: jikhead on November 02, 2010, 08:39:30 pmWay to not support your university NE ARK and Jonesboro.
OUR university?  Don't hang that crap on us.  We go to Hog games too dude.  We are Hog fans as much as anybody from NW Arkansas is.  There is a difference in an Arkansan, an Arkansas fan and an ASU fan.  Don't just file us into the ASU creed because we live in NEA.  Guess Little Rock folk aren't Hog fans either,  they should just support the Trojans huh?

On a side note.  Good job ASU!  They have looked pretty good tonight.  Hope they can move on up the Sun Belt ladder over the next few weeks!
"You can take a boy out of ole' dixie land lord, but ju'll never take ole' dixie from a boy..."  -Ronnie VanZant

booogaga

how many people does that stadium hold?
GO HOGS!

NeverYield

"You can take a boy out of ole' dixie land lord, but ju'll never take ole' dixie from a boy..."  -Ronnie VanZant

TrojanRoyalty

Quote from: NeverYield on November 02, 2010, 08:59:19 pm

Actually, I think it's 35,000.

And I definitely think the weather conditions affected the turnout.  It kind of sucks too since it was a nationally televised game.  I wonder if they would've had a sellout otherwise?

NeverYield

Moe

It still wouldn't have been a sell out. I think they've managed that only twice. Once against Memphis and once against UCA. The fans that would go to get seen on TV were the ones there. The casual ASU fan only goes if there's nothing else going on and the weathers nice. Good job by the team though. They played well. 

Got_da_captain

about 32k ppl.is what it holds...ASU won 51-24 Never was really a contest... Weather had a big factor in the turnout.  A 4-5 record has  a little to do with turnout but this isnt a team that should be 4-5 they could easily be 7-2.   2 point loss to indiana that i watched on espn 3 was a good game..10 pnt loss to Louisville.   2   7 pnt losses to troy and lafayete

ThunderHog

Tip of the hat to the boys in Northeast Arkansas. 

They beat the snot out of those boys from Tinnersee.

There were some real slobber knockers from their defense.

Poop Hoggy Hogg

election night, a tuesday night, and its cold and rainy with the wind blowing 25 mph. they had no chance for good attendance tonight. this is a good win for them though. we might finally get two arkansas teams to get bowl games in the same season.

booogaga

i bet election night had something to do with it as well. there are still a lot of people watching tv coverage
GO HOGS!

chiefsfan

Quote from: NeverYield on November 02, 2010, 08:54:46 pm
OUR university?  Don't hang that crap on us.  We go to Hog games too dude.  We are Hog fans as much as anybody from NW Arkansas is.  There is a difference in an Arkansan, an Arkansas fan and an ASU fan.  Don't just file us into the ASU creed because we live in NEA.  Guess Little Rock folk aren't Hog fans either,  they should just support the Trojans huh?

On a side note.  Good job ASU!  They have looked pretty good tonight.  Hope they can move on up the Sun Belt ladder over the next few weeks!

Im just going to pretend I didnt see this idiotic post...  yeah thats the best way to handle this
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

chiefsfan

Quote from: booogaga on November 02, 2010, 10:30:23 pm
i bet election night had something to do with it as well. there are still a lot of people watching tv coverage

more to do with our athletic department bowing to the wishes of the conference and allowing the one thing most ASU fans have said for years would absolutely never work.  A Mid Week National TV game.

Naqtional TV takes away a bunch of fans.   Add in rain and cold and wind like you did tonight and it takes away a bunch more, and thats not even mentioning its election night.

we still had 25K at a game literally just a month ago, so fans do come, they just need to have a good reason to and nothing better to watch
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

ark30inf

I'm an ASU alum and a fan of both programs. 

Thank you to the majority of fellow Razorback fans for the kind words.  If the school has Arkansas in the name, or is located in Arkansas....I want it to win.

MTBrookHog

Biggest myth the fans in NWA don't understand. There are way more Razorback fans in NEA than there are Red Wolves fans. Their hopes for big crowds is when the Hogs play early and the Red Wolves play late and the Hog fans come after the Hogs play.

ark30inf

Quote from: MTBrookHog on November 02, 2010, 10:42:12 pm
Biggest myth the fans in NWA don't understand. There are way more Razorback fans in NEA than there are Red Wolves fans. Their hopes for big crowds is when the Hogs play early and the Red Wolves play late and the Hog fans come after the Hogs play.

The majority are fans of both programs.

REALTOR Hog

- GO HOGS -

MTBrookHog

Totally agree. I've be to a few games there myself. What the ASU powers that be have come to understand is not to make Hog fans chose between the Hogs and the Red Wolves and enjoy the Hog fans being in attendance. But, don't get me wrong, there are hard core State fans that hate Hog fans.

chiefsfan

Quote from: MTBrookHog on November 02, 2010, 10:52:19 pm
Totally agree. I've be to a few games there myself. What the ASU powers that be have come to understand is not to make Hog fans chose between the Hogs and the Red Wolves and enjoy the Hog fans being in attendance. But, don't get me wrong, there are hard core State fans that hate Hog fans.

actually the thing that has helped ASU in recent history is that we stopped worrying about competing against Arkansas.   

Conference sets out schedule, if they match us up in the same slot as Arkansas time wise, we still have to play it.   In years past we would literally try to avoid this, only to discover attendance was based more on how we were playing then when the razorbacks played

it just happens that this year the times have lined up where the teams havent really competed

aar0n

If you've ever been to Jonesboro you couldn't say that they don't support ASU.  Every building, sign, and business name has something that shows support for the Red Wolves.  I've been up there a couple times, and I was genuinely impressed with how much the town supported the team.  I'm sure the turnout tonight was mostly effected by the weather and the fact that it was on a Tuesday. 

clutch

Quote from: aar0n on November 02, 2010, 11:31:01 pm
If you've ever been to Jonesboro you couldn't say that they don't support ASU.  Every building, sign, and business name has something that shows support for the Red Wolves.  I've been up there a couple times, and I was genuinely impressed with how much the town supported the team.  I'm sure the turnout tonight was mostly effected by the weather and the fact that it was on a Tuesday. 

The local businesses do a very good job of supporting that team. However, the fans don't always seem to get the job done. Early in the year the attendance was good. As another poster mentioned, there were 25K+ people which is a very good turnout for ASU. The last 2 games have been disappointing attendance wise though. I think the FAU game attendance was low because of deer season and people watching the hogs game at noon. I knew when I walked outside this morning that attendance would be low tonight. The Jonesboro fans just don't seem to come out if the weather isn't nice. I was at the game tonight and was really disappointed in the turnout. ASU finally gets a chance to get some national exposure and the fans pretty much blew the chance at having anymore anytime soon. Production companies absolutely hate televising games when the stadium is empty. It looks really bad on TV. I wish more people in Jonesboro understood this and would have toughed it out tonight and supported the team.

This is an exciting team to watch. Although their record isn't as good as it should be, I think that they have exceeded everyones expectations. The offense was supposed to be down this year with the new OC and new system, but it is probably the best offense I have seen at ASU in a while. Very exciting style of play. The defense started out pretty slow but seems to be coming along. They have forced a ton of turnovers in the last 2 games. Against FAU they forced about 4 in the 4th quarter and it completely turned that game around. I couldn't even count how many they forced tonight, but it was a bunch.

The team did their part, the fans failed them though.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: cashmoneyman_04 on November 02, 2010, 08:40:52 pm
if you are going to say that you have to say arkansas' attendance after the rain delays against ole miss was an embarrassment.  its pouring up here.
I've been in Jboro all night and it was NOT pouring. Raining yes but pouring no.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: aar0n on November 02, 2010, 11:31:01 pm
If you've ever been to Jonesboro you couldn't say that they don't support ASU.  Every building, sign, and business name has something that shows support for the Red Wolves.   
This is not true. I have a business in Jboro. Wish it was true but it is not. There are probably as many hog fans here in NEA as Red Wolves.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: jikhead on November 02, 2010, 08:39:30 pm
Way to not support your university NE ARK and Jonesboro.

ASU is not NEA's university.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on November 03, 2010, 01:08:52 am
ASU is not NEA's university.

Not even Craighead County's university.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

clutch

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 03, 2010, 01:04:22 am
This is not true. I have a business in Jboro. Wish it was true but it is not. There are probably as many hog fans here in NEA as Red Wolves.

There is no doubt as many hog fans. I think most of the local businesses do a pretty good job of supporting the red wolves though

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: clutch on November 03, 2010, 01:23:06 am
There is no doubt as many hog fans. I think most of the local businesses do a pretty good job of supporting the red wolves though
Some businesses do a good job but not "most".

jikhead

Quote from: atekido on November 02, 2010, 11:22:16 pm
why arent you there?  way to support them douchebag

I really can't support that school, as I spent my freshman year there back in 91' and hated it and the community.  I never experienced more racism in any one place in my entire life like I did there.  And that goes for what I saw and what was thrown directly at me.  Needless to say, I didn't return for my sophmore year. Now, before locals go off on me, I'm not implying that everyone from that area is a racist.  I just witnessed a great deal of it and just telling you my personal experience from the time I spent there.  I'm sure I'll get attacked for saying it, but at least I'm being honest.

On a side note...there used to be a male dorm that I stayed in (don't think it's still there) that was in the shape of swastika.  Who in their right mind allowed that thing to ever get built?  Really!

lovethosehogs

I watched the game and was impressed with Arkansas State, and enjoyed, better than anything else on tuesday night for sure. 

Seminole Indian

November 03, 2010, 06:48:43 am #30 Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 07:37:47 am by Seminole Indian
Quote from: lovethosehogs on November 03, 2010, 03:58:19 am
I watched the game and was impressed with Arkansas State, and enjoyed, better than anything else on tuesday night for sure.
Bottom line it was an opportunity for ASU to showcase its football team and because of the performance of the team it was a success.

Really no different that when they play teams like Texas, Iowa, Texas A&M, Nebraska, Auburn, etc., just a chance to perform on a bigger stage. Taking advantage of these opportunities by playing well is what counts for a school likes ASU and ASU has done so recently. Helps create a positive brand image for your product and that is why their team is getting better and better.

Attendence has been getting better too, just not last night.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

oldbear

I watched some of the game and really enjoyed it. Steve Roberts is a good guy. It was good publicity for ASU to get a tv win like that.

twistitup

Did you go to the game? Why does NEA not support the Wolf Pack more than they did last night? Unbelievable that only a few thousand showed up to a televised ESPN game.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

GBHawg

I have a niece that is a cheerleader for ASU.  We live in central AR and go up for several games.  The attendance has never been near capacity when we've been there, but there have been much better crowds than last night.  Weather plus weeknight hurt that game.

Side note:  WTG ASU!!! Defense looked awesome.  They were flying to the football and got 7 turnovers.

nwarazfan

November 03, 2010, 08:19:06 am #34 Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 08:21:51 am by nwarazfan
Quote from: jikhead on November 02, 2010, 08:39:30 pm
what an embarrassment with the crowd.  I just got home and flipped to the ASU game to at least give them a little love, and WOW.  The attendance looks like a high school game.  Way to not support your university NE ARK and Jonesboro.

-1 to you.  Crappy post.

Good job by the ASU football team.  Second time I've seen them play with the first being IU and their offense is entertaining and good. 

Poor luck on the weather for ASU.  The national exposure was good but I wouldn't agree to any more weeknight home games especially in November and on election nights. 

I'll also say the football facility in the south endzone looked good on tv.  The field and most of the stadium also looked good.  It is time to do something with that skyscraper old press box though. 

MountieDawg

It was pouring at times by what I saw on TV, the team played great and for the people who really put a whole lot into uniforms...I like the Black uniforms!  ASU will never be UofA, but some of the hate for ASU is ridiculous.... Crowd was awful but temps have dropped 20 degreees in the past 2 weeks and throw rain on top of it and a losing record... Not much chance, but the lightning and rain delay for the Ole Miss game is a pretty good analogy!
SEC!

NeverYield

Quote from: chiefsfan on November 02, 2010, 10:32:47 pm
Im just going to pretend I didnt see this idiotic post...  yeah thats the best way to handle this
Hmm.  Kinda the same way I view 90% of your post.

razorback3072

Quote from: cashmoneyman_04 on November 02, 2010, 08:40:52 pm

First of all, there are no "rain delays" in football.  They were lightning delays.  Second, midweek or not, to only have 13k there for a nationally televised game is pathetic.  Most high schools in the state turn out more than that, regardless of weather. 
A veteran is someone who at one point in his life wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for the amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor. There are way too many people in this country who no longer understand that.

http://www.nralifeofduty.tv/#/patriotprofiles

http://fearlessnavyseal.com/

SgtPepper

Quote from: jikhead on November 03, 2010, 03:27:48 am
I really can't support that school, as I spent my freshman year there back in 91' and hated it and the community.  I never experienced more racism in any one place in my entire life like I did there.  And that goes for what I saw and what was thrown directly at me.  Needless to say, I didn't return for my sophmore year. Now, before locals go off on me, I'm not implying that everyone from that area is a racist.  I just witnessed a great deal of it and just telling you my personal experience from the time I spent there.  I'm sure I'll get attacked for saying it, but at least I'm being honest.

On a side note...there used to be a male dorm that I stayed in (don't think it's still there) that was in the shape of swastika.  Who in their right mind allowed that thing to ever get built?  Really!
Racism at ASU?  A dorm shaped like a swastika?  Give me a break!

I lived in the dorm you're talking about (Delta Hall) for two years.  It's wasn't shaped like a swastika, it was shaped like an +.

I think you're the racist.
The stAte's University

Foots

So, did ESPN want this game moved to election night because it was the RED Wolves vs BLUE Raiders?

DeltaBoy

The Rain cut the Attendance IMO by 40%!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

nwarazfan

Quote from: razorback3072 on November 03, 2010, 08:26:49 am
First of all, there are no "rain delays" in football.  They were lightning delays.  Second, midweek or not, to only have 13k there for a nationally televised game is pathetic.  Most high schools in the state turn out more than that, regardless of weather. 

No they don't. 

Jborohog09

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 03, 2010, 08:31:09 am
The Rain cut the Attendance IMO by 40%!

Agreed, cost us at least 10,000. Poor weather+election+weeknight+losing record= recipe for attendance disaster

NeverYield

Quote from: twistitup on November 03, 2010, 07:11:55 am
Did you go to the game? Why does NEA not support the Wolf Pack more than they did last night? Unbelievable that only a few thousand showed up to a televised ESPN game.
No,  and numerous reasons for the horrible attendance.
1)  ASU is not my team.
2)  ESPN game,  I watched from home just like everybody else did.  First national televised game for ASU during the regular season.  If if wasn't on TV, 90% chance I would have been there along with about 5,000 to 8,000 others.
3) Cold, rainy and windy
4) Tuesday Night
5) Election Night
6) 6:00 start on a Tuesday night/Election night
7) Losing record for both teams.

Just the way it is fellas.  Deal with it and keep supporting your Hogs!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Jborohog09 on November 03, 2010, 08:40:15 am
Agreed, cost us at least 10,000. Poor weather+election+weeknight+losing record= recipe for attendance disaster
This is probably fairly accurate.

elksnort

I did my part. I took my two girls out to the game and we stayed until the 1st quarter was over. Neither of us dressed appropriately enough. Wet and cold don't mix. On top of the fact that I contacted a 24 hour flu before the game even started. But this is my personal stuff that really does not even need to be mentioned.

ASU just can't get a break in their luck. It has been dry and unseasonably warm all fall then, yesterday with cold and rain. The 33k seat stadium has rarely been packed. ASU and NEA just does not have a great football culture. They are trying to get Divison 1 crowd turnout with I-AA culture. ASU did play great 1-AA ball in the 1980s and smaller college ball in the 1970s.

Regardless, I pull for any team that has "Arkansas" in the name as one of the other posters mentioned. I have always been a Razorback fan first and I seriously doubt this will ever change. I think it's nice to see Razorback fans appreciate ASU also and visa versa. The problem is the core of one's who hate one another. Why?

Anyway, Hugh Freeze's offense looks pretty darn good and ASU, notwithstanding the record, is putting a good team on the field. Now maybe they'll make a bowl game.

Hat's off to you other Razorback fans that love your state and appreciate what the little brother is doing.

NeverYield

Quote from: elksnort on November 03, 2010, 09:33:41 am
I did my part. I took my two girls out to the game and we stayed until the 1st quarter was over. Neither of us dressed appropriately enough. Wet and cold don't mix. On top of the fact that I contacted a 24 hour flu before the game even started. But this is my personal stuff that really does not even need to be mentioned.

ASU just can't get a break in their luck. It has been dry and unseasonably warm all fall then, yesterday with cold and rain. The 33k seat stadium has rarely been packed. ASU and NEA just does not have a great football culture. They are trying to get Divison 1 crowd turnout with I-AA culture. ASU did play great 1-AA ball in the 1980s and smaller college ball in the 1970s.

Regardless, I pull for any team that has "Arkansas" in the name as one of the other posters mentioned. I have always been a Razorback fan first and I seriously doubt this will ever change. I think it's nice to see Razorback fans appreciate ASU also and visa versa. The problem is the core of one's who hate one another. Why?

Anyway, Hugh Freeze's offense looks pretty darn good and ASU, notwithstanding the record, is putting a good team on the field. Now maybe they'll make a bowl game.

Hat's off to you other Razorback fans that love your state and appreciate what the little brother is doing.
+1

daprospecta

Quote from: chiefsfan on November 02, 2010, 10:32:47 pm
Why? He's right.  I have never seen such a divided fan base in my life! Hog fans from NWA beefing with LR Hog fans, Hog fans not rooting for any other school in the state and looking down on them.  I don't know about anybody else but I was born and raised in Arkansas so that makes me a Hog first(was a player), then a Trojan, Bear, Red Wolf etc unless they play the hogs.  Some of you guys slay me talking about Arkansas State like it's a rival school in a different state. 

batman15

Quote from: NeverYield on November 03, 2010, 09:01:45 am
No,  and numerous reasons for the horrible attendance.
1)  ASU is not my team.
2)  ESPN game,  I watched from home just like everybody else did.  First national televised game for ASU during the regular season.  If if wasn't on TV, 90% chance I would have been there along with about 5,000 to 8,000 others.
3) Cold, rainy and windy
4) Tuesday Night
5) Election Night
6) 6:00 start on a Tuesday night/Election night
7) Losing record for both teams.

Just the way it is fellas.  Deal with it and keep supporting your Hogs!

Dear lord who is that in your avi?

Bob from Dumas

I enjoyed the game.  ASU has a good team.  Also, Van Buren native Taylor Stockemer had a big night.  I think overall it was a positive for ASU football with a big win over a conference rival on ESPN 2.