Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clint Conque takes a swipe at Hogs schedule?

Started by Ironhawg, September 13, 2010, 12:47:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

IronHog

September 13, 2010, 09:31:15 pm #50 Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 09:34:31 pm by IronHog
Quote from: jesterzzn on September 13, 2010, 09:26:39 pm
ASU wouldn't sell even half their tickets @ $100+ each.  Hell, UA might not even sell out at that price.

Of all the lame UA vs. ASU ideas I've seen, this is one of the worst.

Wrong.

It would be a big deal.

If the tickets were too high just open vs. ASU in a normal game.  It would still be way better than ULM, SW Mizzou, or Tenn Tech.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

aloha_kid

josh_sec33

Quote from: Hogstocking on February 07, 2008, 11:45:16 am
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

Iwastherein1969

The long Grey line will never fail our country.

HawgTide

Quote from: IronHog on September 13, 2010, 07:58:43 pm
Diamond State Kickoff Classic Brought to You by WAL-Marks

UA vs AState

WMS opening weekend every year.

Split the Stadium in half and charge 2.5X's normal ticket price.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Waaaaay more FUN than ULM or Tenn Tech.

This is one of the worst ideas I have ever seen on Hogville.

I could care less about  playing AState or UCA and I'm sure as hell not paying more money to see it!

IronHog

Quote from: NEVERWAS1 on September 13, 2010, 10:18:59 pm

I could care less about  playing AState or UCA and I'm sure as hell not paying more money to see it!

People that really enjoy college football would like the game.

The drunks, football for the sake of football, and those still living in JFB's 1968 deny reality time warp we are still a top 10 program fans might not see the merit in such a game.

Root66

Quote from: IronHog on September 13, 2010, 10:24:43 pm

People that really enjoy college football would like the game.

The drunks, football for the sake of football, and those still living in JFB's 1968 deny reality time warp we are still a top 10 program fans might not see the merit in such a game.

Why don't you start a Teaparty type movement to give old Clint his big chance to do whatever it is he would like to do. I wouldn't walk across the street and pay to see that. If they paid me, I might consider it.

oldbear

I think Ironhog has finally found a way to prevent WMS from selling out.

RAF

Quote from: IronHog on September 13, 2010, 09:31:15 pm

Wrong.

It would be a big deal.

If the tickets were too high just open vs. ASU in a normal game.  It would still be way better than ULM, SW Mizzou, or Tenn Tech.
How so?  Specifics, please.

Hogpile

all I know is this would be better than watching hogs play ulm or tenn tech or missouri st. The last two weeks has been like watching grass grow or paint drying much rather the hogs playan in state rent a win

jkstock04

I for the life of me can't figure out what is more mind boggling...that the OP actually listens to Grant and Vernon in the mornings OR that Grant and Vernon actually had a conversation going concerning the Hog football team?  Crazy stuff there.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

WSPHOG

IronHog

Quote from: dxf04 on September 13, 2010, 10:59:15 pm
How so?  Specifics, please.

Because those of us that follow Arkansas football at the HS and college level beyond the Hogs actually would know who some of the players are on the other team. 

You wouldn't want to see J. Adam, or Jon Bradley, or T. Johnson face off vs. the Hogs?  Does anyone here even know who these players were?

Plenty of Arkansas boys on both sides.  Not playing Arkansas State is getting to the point it makes UA look bad more than it makes A state look desperate.

For the record AState had more ESPN coverage the opening week of college football than UA.

IronHog

Quote from: Root66 on September 13, 2010, 10:30:51 pm
Why don't you start a Teaparty type movement to give old Clint his big chance to do whatever it is he would like to do. I wouldn't walk across the street and pay to see that. If they paid me, I might consider it.

You and JFB are still stuck in 1968.

Root66

Quote from: IronHog on September 13, 2010, 11:20:41 pm
For the record AState had more ESPN coverage the opening week of college football than UA.

Good for them. They obviously don't need us.

Root66

Quote from: IronHog on September 13, 2010, 11:21:37 pm

You and JFB are still stuck in 1968.

That's alright. Look at my and JFB's resumes. Then take a look at Bill Davidson's or Bennie Ellender's. Oh wait a second...the two best coaches in Indian history are also stuck in 1968.

IronHog

Quote from: Root66 on September 13, 2010, 11:22:31 pm
Good for them. They obviously don't need us.

Who says anything about "need"

It would be a far more entertaining and fun game than Tenn Tech or ULM.

Lots of people around the state know these kids, many of the kids played each other in HS and are friends.

Heck, I want to see the DT from Hoxie line up aganist Wade Grayson.

IronHog

Quote from: Root66 on September 13, 2010, 11:24:59 pm
That's alright. Look at my and JFB's resumes.

JFB still can't watch a game from 1969, and I thought your resume leads off with most times banned from Hogville.

Sivad

Clint Conquebine needs to spend his time trying to manage his own pecker and not the Porkers' schedule.

pitbull1

Why would we want to play them and take a chance of getting one of our players hurt over a couple of nobodies.

dsims2k3

Quote from: pitbull1 on September 14, 2010, 06:17:21 am
Why would we want to play them and take a chance of getting one of our players hurt over a couple of nobodies.
Didn't that just happen against ULM?
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

sigpooie

I say we play both of them. I think I might be one of the few here that has ever talked with FJB and four Govs about this.
The Govs were all for it, but did not want to lose other wars over asking for it. FJB was just a greedy bas-ard for not letting it happen. He told me he did not want to lower his income to other ath directors. Yes he was not afraid of losing the game , he was afraid of losing his money hole.
Every state that has instate games is head of us in money and higher rated programs.  I hate to say this but it's true, UA is keeping the rest of the system down with this policy. A policy that only helped a few people instead of the thousands it would have helped had they played.
Any of the one's here that don't think they should play, are most likely the king of their little pond and others making income off of them would be a travesty to them instead of a benefit to the community.
This is the real reason they don't play.. period
If I wanted to leave this world with something better, they would play every year and this would bring more money and fame to our programs. Remember they are OUR programs and under the same system of  tax support, but thanks to the UA policy we have to spend more money on the other schools to keep them up. Money that could be spent watching them play instead of taxed. So wake the hell up..it's really lame that we don't play them according to the national media.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! Hunter "my buddy" Thompson

Ironhawg

Arkansas has absolutely nothing to win by playing either UCA or ASU.  If they win it is because they were supposed to win.  If they lose, it is a monumental upset that does harm to the program. 

PennHOG

Quote from: aloha_kid on September 13, 2010, 09:32:56 pm
Exactly!

No really.  I have know idea who Clint Conque is.  Clue me in.  I feel left out.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

bearmkt

Quote from: Ironhawg on September 14, 2010, 07:29:21 am
Arkansas has absolutely nothing to win by playing either UCA or ASU.  If they win it is because they were supposed to win.  If they lose, it is a monumental upset that does harm to the program. 
Quote from: Ironhawg on September 14, 2010, 07:29:21 am

Well by that logic it would appear the razorbacks should never play any of the schools from lower divisions. If we lost to a ulm it's a sunbelt team beating an sec team. That would get picked up by espn and almost happened a few years back. For additional evidence ask coach crow about our scheduling. If our first game had been a lose imagine the coverage from that one as well.   

So your logic  would suggest we need to revamp the existing schedule, we already have some teams that would be very embarrassing to see a loss against.

Got_da_captain

Again ASU realy has more to gain  by not playing arkansas. Theyr recruit alabama Real hard so going to alabama or Auburn helps them alot more.

UCA will never catch ASU. The last time the 2 teams played was 14 yrs ago it was close but ASU has improved a ton since.

Look i cheer for both ASU and U of A there is very little for each team to gain. ASu gets better every year for crying out loud ASU has a Soph QB that is 2nd in the ncaa in passing yards. ASu has never had a legit QB.

Ryan mallet will be #1 at end of season though.

razorback3072

Quote from: Got_da_captain on September 14, 2010, 08:39:42 am
Again ASU realy has more to gain  by not playing arkansas. Theyr recruit alabama Real hard so going to alabama or Auburn helps them alot more.

UCA will never catch ASU. The last time the 2 teams played was 14 yrs ago it was close but ASU has improved a ton since.

Look i cheer for both ASU and U of A there is very little for each team to gain. ASu gets better every year for crying out loud ASU has a Soph QB that is 2nd in the ncaa in passing yards. ASu has never had a legit QB.

Ryan mallet will be #1 at end of season though.

not to mention that stud defense ya'll have
A veteran is someone who at one point in his life wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for the amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor. There are way too many people in this country who no longer understand that.

http://www.nralifeofduty.tv/#/patriotprofiles

http://fearlessnavyseal.com/

RAF

Because those of us that follow Arkansas football at the HS and college level beyond the Hogs actually would know who some of the players are on the other team. 

You wouldn't want to see J. Adam, or Jon Bradley, or T. Johnson face off vs. the Hogs?  Does anyone here even know who these players were?

Plenty of Arkansas boys on both sides.  Not playing Arkansas State is getting to the point it makes UA look bad more than it makes A state look desperate.

That sounds like why it would be better for fans of UCA, ASU, ect.  How is it better for Hog fans?

Justifiable Hogicide

So the Coed Conga-line Clint Conque and ASTC want to follow the well used but unsuccessful Ark State path to football glory and riches by criticizing the Razorbacks and begging for a forced "game".
All they will do is look silly and lose fans with that.

hogsanity

Quote from: IronHog on September 13, 2010, 06:34:11 pm

If Arkansas is really a "big time" program they should not be afraid play any non-top 20 type D1 program.

OOC games vs. AState and UCA would be much more interesting than what we have suffered though the past two weeks, and would actually create a good deal more excitement overall.

Play AState in WMS and charge twice the normal amount for tickets.  Play UCA at RRS and sell all the tickets you want.

All for the Hogs playing ASU or UCa, but it should be in RRS and they should get paid no more than a Tn Tech or a ULM.  And, it should also be in October, not the first or 2nd game of the year. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

RedRock

Quote from: PennHOG on September 14, 2010, 07:29:42 am
No really.  I have know idea who Clint Conque is.  Clue me in.  I feel left out.
He's an usher at WMS

PennHOG

Quote from: RedRock on September 14, 2010, 09:52:05 am
He's an usher at WMS

That's kind of weird.  How does everyone know the name of an usher?  Is this another joke?  Must be an inside joke.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Hog Nutt

This thread is getting as good as the my brother-in-law got beat up thread. Good job guys!

DoggtownHog

Quote from: ScottFaldon on September 14, 2010, 08:31:30 am
Has anybody actually found the alleged quote?
Exactly! Everyone is jumping on Conque but there was never a quote produced. You guys are acting like a bunch of Jr High school girls. Geez. Gossip is for little bi+ches by the way.
How stupid a man is depends on where he's standing.

Kicking Wing

I see the closeted UCA grads are out on this thread a little with their misinformed and obviously more than a little late tal about UCA surpassing ASU or anyone else.  Do you guys even read the paper?  Grand juries, budget shortfalls, credit problems, HC looking for other jobs, mistresses, Ark. Tech nipping at your heels as enrollment falls again (means a lot for a school with the highest student athletic fee in the state), need for facilities upgrade, FOI issues and so on and so on.....

The new BB coach backed out of a game with ASU and the football coach and AD refuse to travel to play.

You guys need to catch up and Conque needs to worry less about the Hogs' schedule and more about the schedules of his wife's attorney and Federal prosecutors.

jesterzzn

Quote from: ScottFaldon on September 14, 2010, 02:43:02 pm
Do we have any concrete proof he said the alleged quote?
Unless you think the DemGaz miss-quoted, then he definately made the comment about
"This wasn't any Tenn. Tech."  Which was a pretty blatent swipe at Arkansas.

forrest city joe

Root66

Quote from: IronHog on September 13, 2010, 11:29:58 pm

JFB still can't watch a game from 1969, and I thought your resume leads off with most times banned from Hogville.

My resume leads off with the most times correcting dumb Sob's such as you.

secfan30

Quote from: IronHog on September 13, 2010, 07:58:43 pm
Diamond State Kickoff Classic Brought to You by WAL-Marks

UA vs AState

WMS opening weekend every year.

Split the Stadium in half and charge 2.5X's normal ticket price.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Waaaaay more FUN than ULM or Tenn Tech.

I am ok with this, just 1 problem when it comes to splitting up the stadium. There is not enough A State fans to fill half of War Memorial.

jesterzzn

Quote from: ScottFaldon on September 14, 2010, 05:07:56 pm
Do you have a link to that article? Because Google and Lexis-Nexis searches for that phrase turn up no hits.

Also, if you search for "Clint Conque" "Tennessee Tech" you get this thread as the top hit. But I've not found the quote itself. I'm not saying it's not out there, but I haven't seen it yet.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&q=%22Clint+Conque%22+%22Tennessee+Tech%22&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2010/sep/12/southland-conference-uca-capitalizes-mist-20100912/

I'm not sure, since I can't read the whole article online (stupid subscription crap) but I think this was the article in the paper that the quote came from.

Again, there were about three UCA articles in the Little Rock edition monday, so it might have been in one of the other two, but I am fairly certain it was this one.

IronHog

Quote from: ScottFaldon on September 14, 2010, 08:55:19 pm
Found it!

It was in Saturday's Dem-Gaz (that paywall makes searching the site difficult). Conque was talking about Eastern Illinois playing Iowa.

"It wasn't Tennessee Tech they were playing," UCA Coach Clint Conque said. "I was very impressed with how physical and fast they played against Iowa."

Three pages about this?

UCA has a nice program going.  I like catching the Nathan Dick highlights on Sunday night.

The Bears are no threat to the Hogs, but would be a far more interesting matchup than Tenn Tech.

How fun would it be to see Nathan Dick return to RRS?

hog_fan

Quote from: IronHog on September 14, 2010, 08:59:46 pm

Three pages about this?

UCA has a nice program going.  I like catching the Nathan Dick highlights on Sunday night.

The Bears are no threat to the Hogs, but would be a far more interesting matchup than Tenn Tech.

Could less about him. He has 1 year after this year so you won't see him in RRS. I also could care less about UCA or ASU. They need to worry about winning against their own schedule before playing real teams. Then again maybe destroying them would shut them up thinking have a chance against us.

Got_da_captain

ASU doesnt play real teams. Arkansas has played 90% of the teams on there schedule paco

RAF

Quote from: IronHog on September 14, 2010, 08:59:46 pm

Three pages about this?

For UCA fans?  Plenty.
For everybody else?  Meh.

Groundpounder

I attended both UA and UCA. The hogs playing ASU, UCA, OBU, it doesn't matter, is not the least bit interesting to me. There is no upside to this game for the UA. Ask yourself why your beloved ASU no longer plays UCA and you will find the answer you seek.
He who runs against time has an adversary not subject to casualties.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.". Teddy Roosevelt

Got_da_captain

That fact is the same for ASU . It doesnt help them. they rather play auburn and recruit in alabama. They dont seem to care anymore. dont know why ppl keep putting them in this. Pesonally we as head school should spank UCA and send them on there way

IronHog

Quote from: Groundpounder on September 14, 2010, 09:41:53 pm
I attended both UA and UCA. The hogs playing ASU, UCA, OBU, it doesn't matter, is not the least bit interesting to me. There is no upside to this game for the UA. Ask yourself why your beloved ASU no longer plays UCA and you will find the answer you seek.

ASU doesn't play UCA because they don't want to lose to UCA.

I really don't "care" about ASU or UCA athletics.  I do enjoy anything and everything to do with football in Arkansas and I think the games would be much more interesting than ULM or Tenn Tech type games.

Cartoon Man

IronHog

Quote from: hog_fan on September 14, 2010, 09:06:14 pm
Could less about him. He has 1 year after this year so you won't see him in RRS. I also could care less about UCA or ASU. They need to worry about winning against their own schedule before playing real teams. Then again maybe destroying them would shut them up thinking have a chance against us.

Nathan Brown would have lit the Hogs up his Senior year.

That would have been a fun game for a half or so............