Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas State Message Board "The Den"

Started by Lanny, August 31, 2008, 08:39:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanny

http://www.arkst.com/board/index.php?board=1.0

Red Wolve fans having their fun at the expense of the Aggies.

Good win for Arkansas State.
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Maverick Razorback

i went over to say congrats..but after seeing some of the things they were saying i just couldnt do it..

GO HOGS.

congrats state..i guess.
IF YOU AINT FIRST...YOUR LAST!!

One of Arkansas last lowriders.

One Bad Boy

r8zrbck

Albert Einswine

"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

HoginHouston

I just went over to their board. Um, are those people for real? I'm always happy to see an Arkansas team win, but that board is franking hilarious. They seem to actually believe ASU is on the edge of being competition for Arkansas. What do they have, like 20k at their games? And what the heck is their mascot anyway?

It's like you want to be a good Arkansan and support a nice upset, but then you read the board and you kind of want them to know their place. We could come up with a list of 50 games in the past 20 years that are similar to ASU beating a bad A and M team. When ULM beat Alabama, did that mean LSU should be worried? When Troy scores one of their upset specials, should Alabama and Auburn start getting scared? Geez.

ASU will NOT EVER be anything resembling a rival for Arkansas, and they need to stop complaining about the fact that the state supports the Hogs. They don't have the facilities, the fans, the tradition, or the money. Oh, and they play in the Sun Belt! Enough.
Go Hogs Go.

HoginHouston

Oh, and if they would stop being haters and all jealous of the Hogs, THEN I'd love to offer congrats for a job well done. They just make it so hard with their whining and petulance.
Go Hogs Go.

Adram

most ASU fans are Hog fans, but when the former hog administration and current hog fans just turn their noses you and talk crap about you, I can't blame ASU fans for feeling jilted.

Maverick Razorback

Quote from: Albert Einswine on August 31, 2008, 10:06:32 am

Read of the love they have for us and see if you still want to reciprocate.  http://www.arkst.com/board/index.php?topic=37625.15
Exactly..congrats to the players..piss on the fans.

bobbybouchet

If they go to a BCS game before us, I will congratulate them...good luck on that ASU.

HedgeDweller

Quote from: HoginHouston on August 31, 2008, 10:35:06 am
I just went over to their board. Um, are those people for real? I'm always happy to see an Arkansas team win, but that board is franking hilarious. They seem to actually believe ASU is on the edge of being competition for Arkansas. What do they have, like 20k at their games? And what the heck is their mascot anyway?

It's like you want to be a good Arkansan and support a nice upset, but then you read the board and you kind of want them to know their place. We could come up with a list of 50 games in the past 20 years that are similar to ASU beating a bad A and M team. When ULM beat Alabama, did that mean LSU should be worried? When Troy scores one of their upset specials, should Alabama and Auburn start getting scared? Geez.

ASU will NOT EVER be anything resembling a rival for Arkansas, and they need to stop complaining about the fact that the state supports the Hogs. They don't have the facilities, the fans, the tradition, or the money. Oh, and they play in the Sun Belt! Enough.

I think (after last night) that it may be a good thing we aren't playing them this year at least...

HoginHouston

It's weird to me that we are expected to play them, knowing that even if we won 20 times they would take one victory as a sign that they are challenging us. I don't mind saying nice things about ASU and being happy when a state team wins, except for the fact that they phrase everything as if their ultimate goal is to challenge the Hogs.

You can't have it both ways. You can't say you are a true threat to Arkansas and THEN expect charity. You CAN acknowledge that the two are not each other's competition and then expect Hog fans to be nice and allow ASU fans to let the Hogs be their main priority.

But by trying to make ASU some sort of rival to Arkansas, you deserve nothing from Hog fans. And that is what you will get.
Go Hogs Go.

4thdownnutt

and what was tamu ranked?  when was the last ranked team ua junior beat?

Arkstfan

{SIGH}

The past history of Arkansas-Arkansas State is ugly and it goes far beyond sports. ASU would still be ASC if the UA leadership had gotten its way. When the Delta Commission said there needs to a doctoral program in educational leadership and ASU was the school in the region best suited to have it, the UA leadership first tried to stop it and once they saw it was going to happen they changed gears and wanted the program to be a UA degree program administered by UA but taught on the ASU campus. Heck the main reason ASU is in FBS football today is because UA supporters in the legislature imposed severe clamps on sports funding by state schools (killed almost all the juco programs) and ASU had to move up in order to chase money games.

We listened to Frank Broyles tell the Arkansas General Assembly that it was UA policy to never play I-AA schools because UA needed to play a national schedule when ASU was I-AA. On ASU's first day in I-A, Arkansas played a I-AA (karma was a bitch that afternoon).

We heard the argument that UA shouldn't be in the business of welfare and shouldn't be asked to prop up the ASU program, then we read the press release where Frank Broyles explained the multi-game Little Rock deal with ULM as being a way to help ULM retain I-A status.

We've heard nothing to gain playing a school that recruits the same area, then watch the new AD schedule Tulsa who recruits the hell out of Arkansas with possibility that Tulsa, might just have a team capable of winning and an offensive coordinator better known among fans in the state than our head coach.

We've heard ASU needed to get better to be worthy to play Arkansas and watch Arkansas in one season schedule a team that had lost three in a row to ASU and two more that had lost two in a row to ASU.

LSU and Ohio State used to follow the same policy as Arkansas and both have abandoned it (I had the good fortune of watching both play in person back in January, they seem to have survived).

Me personally? I don't give a rip. The UA leaders involved in all that except for the Tulsa game are all gone. The new leadership on the academic side has been rather cooperative on matters like state funding of academics, taking a much broader view. I like the heck out of your hoops coach, think your football coach is one of the better minds in the game and haven't made up my mind about your AD, other than to be grateful I'm not paying for season tickets in major sports at UA since he arrived.

We live in a new economy in college athletics. No longer does the NCAA control TV and share the money. NCAA basketball is eat what you kill on revenue. UA gets as much from the SEC as ASU spends on its entire athletic program and that's before UA collects one donor dollar, sells a ticket, or sells a sponsorship.

In the new economy, ASU and UA could play 20 times, ASU could win 20 and at the end of that time, UA still has the bigger fan base, the more attractive schedule, more money in the bank, more access to bowls, and more access to meaningful TV. In other words, playing don't mean crap.

With the stakes so low, the barrier to playing is gone but then there isn't much reason for me to care if we ever do.

Yeah some folks are still PO'd over the history, but its up to you to determine whether it shakes your confidence and makes you angry or you laugh it off.

Mr. Prozac

Quote from: Arkstfan on August 31, 2008, 07:22:07 pm
{SIGH}

The past history of Arkansas-Arkansas State is ugly and it goes far beyond sports. ASU would still be ASC if the UA leadership had gotten its way. When the Delta Commission said there needs to a doctoral program in educational leadership and ASU was the school in the region best suited to have it, the UA leadership first tried to stop it and once they saw it was going to happen they changed gears and wanted the program to be a UA degree program administered by UA but taught on the ASU campus. Heck the main reason ASU is in FBS football today is because UA supporters in the legislature imposed severe clamps on sports funding by state schools (killed almost all the juco programs) and ASU had to move up in order to chase money games.

We listened to Frank Broyles tell the Arkansas General Assembly that it was UA policy to never play I-AA schools because UA needed to play a national schedule when ASU was I-AA. On ASU's first day in I-A, Arkansas played a I-AA (karma was a **** that afternoon).

We heard the argument that UA shouldn't be in the business of welfare and shouldn't be asked to prop up the ASU program, then we read the press release where Frank Broyles explained the multi-game Little Rock deal with ULM as being a way to help ULM retain I-A status.

We've heard nothing to gain playing a school that recruits the same area, then watch the new AD schedule Tulsa who recruits the hell out of Arkansas with possibility that Tulsa, might just have a team capable of winning and an offensive coordinator better known among fans in the state than our head coach.

We've heard ASU needed to get better to be worthy to play Arkansas and watch Arkansas in one season schedule a team that had lost three in a row to ASU and two more that had lost two in a row to ASU.

LSU and Ohio State used to follow the same policy as Arkansas and both have abandoned it (I had the good fortune of watching both play in person back in January, they seem to have survived).

Me personally? I don't give a rip. The UA leaders involved in all that except for the Tulsa game are all gone. The new leadership on the academic side has been rather cooperative on matters like state funding of academics, taking a much broader view. I like the heck out of your hoops coach, think your football coach is one of the better minds in the game and haven't made up my mind about your AD, other than to be grateful I'm not paying for season tickets in major sports at UA since he arrived.

We live in a new economy in college athletics. No longer does the NCAA control TV and share the money. NCAA basketball is eat what you kill on revenue. UA gets as much from the SEC as ASU spends on its entire athletic program and that's before UA collects one donor dollar, sells a ticket, or sells a sponsorship.

In the new economy, ASU and UA could play 20 times, ASU could win 20 and at the end of that time, UA still has the bigger fan base, the more attractive schedule, more money in the bank, more access to bowls, and more access to meaningful TV. In other words, playing don't mean crap.

With the stakes so low, the barrier to playing is gone but then there isn't much reason for me to care if we ever do.

Yeah some folks are still PO'd over the history, but its up to you to determine whether it shakes your confidence and makes you angry or you laugh it off.
Good post. I'm a Hog fan and only casually follow A State, although I wish them well. Personally, I have thought for years that the Hogs should play A State, and I've always thought is was hard-headed not to do so.

hogdogcrazy

Quote from: Adram on August 31, 2008, 02:01:30 pm
most ASU fans are Hog fans, but when the former hog administration and current hog fans just turn their noses you and talk crap about you, I can't blame ASU fans for feeling jilted.

Another who thinks we owe A State a living?  Piss on em'  They spit on us out of jealousy every chance they get so I can't have any love for them.
Smites are Badges of Honor around this place.

Arkstfan

Quote from: hogdogcrazy on August 31, 2008, 08:09:18 pm
Another who thinks we owe A State a living?  Piss on em'  They spit on us out of jealousy every chance they get so I can't have any love for them.

Jealous? You can go find numerous posts I've made about the brilliance of Frank Broyles on a number of issues.

I work with a ton of Hog fans and bear them no ill will whatsoever.

UA doesn't owe ASU a living. What does owe ASU and the state of Arkansas is a policy of non-interference which it hasn't done until the current administration.

Arkansas Student

That was a very interesting post Arkstfan. I didn't know about all of that history, and you presented it well. Thanks for putting it up. Seriously, no sarcasm intended.
"Go-Hogs-Go-Hogs-Halt-Kick-Swtich-WHOOP-Boom!" no longer truly exists.

chiefsfan

Quote from: hogdogcrazy on August 31, 2008, 08:09:18 pm

Dont hate what you cant understand.   Arkansas has tried its darned hardest to keep ASU from doing anything good in the past.   There are alot of people who will never forgive them for that.   

We arent looking for handouts here folks.  We have no problem playing the likes of Texas A&M  and Alabama  or next year and Nebraska and Iowa.       We're just trying to understand the logic given behind why the UA wont consider playing us, when in reality we would come cheaper, and offer much more RPI and SOS help then a team like UL Monroe, or FIU, or North Texas...etc.

Arkstfan mentioned it earlier.  the excuse given isnt logical anymore.   Especially when UA goes off and schedules Tulsa, who is alot more of a threat to arkansas recruiting then ASU will be.   And thats not even mentioning the "road game" with ULM next week
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

HomerHawg

What a great win for ASU...

I for one hope to see a UA - ASU match-up in the future

budcampbellfan

That ASU v UA thing in the minds of ASU fans has been going on for 50 years.
"THE 'ARKANSAW RAZA'BACKS' ARE ON THE AIR!" - The late Bud Campbell at the beginning of each radio broadcast game.

AudiA4

Quote from: HoginHouston on August 31, 2008, 10:35:06 am
So assuming all of this is true, then why are you so hot and bothered by their win...or even what they say?!

Congrats Red Wolves!

Man_O_Pork

{SIGH}

We listened to Frank Broyles tell the Arkansas General Assembly that it was UA policy to never play I-AA schools because UA needed to play a national schedule when ASU was I-AA. On ASU's first day in I-A, Arkansas played a I-AA (karma was a **** that afternoon).

Good post.  As someone who's from NEA, and who went to ASU for two years before transferring to UA, I have something of a soft spot for Ark. State.  I'm a Hogs fan, but I like to celebrate A-State wins when they have them -- especially when it's over a Texas team.

I agree that UA, in this modern day, doesn't have much to lose by playing ASU.  I think it'd be great for the state, and it could be a good solution at keeping at least one game a year at War Memorial.

DeltaBoy

Congrads to A-State and yes they could beat UA . Don't let your Hog Pride blind you to the fact that this A-State team took the Texas Longhorns to the wall last year in Austin and beat A&M on Kyle field voted by SI as one of the top 10 toughest places to win at as a road team.  My Lord we almost lost to Leathernecks last night.

It was a Great Win for ASU.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Maverick Razorback

{SIGH}

good post

Rooka

Im a HOG fan and an ASU student. Great win for the Red Wolves indeed. Go HOGS! and GO stAte!

Table Rocker

texags.com

remember the billy gillespie fiasco and all the stuff they talked? payback time.

spiritof92

Great win for stAte.  Beating Texas S&M would be big for the Wolves, but to do it down there...wow!  My hat goes off to coach Roberts and the Red Wolves players.

HogCzar1

First, congratulations to ASU for their win. Next, the reason UA does not play ASU, or any other team in-state has nothing at all to do with whether or not "they are good enough". The earlier poster referred to everything UA has done "to hold ASU down". Even if that is true (and I do not think many of the statements are valid), the UA should have no valid reason to help ASU "advance" at the expense of UA. ASU elects to try and participate at a D-1 level at the expense of other parts of the institution due to the fact they are not financially able to support it enough privately. In addition, they seem to feel that they are the only 2nd school in Arkansas, which is not the case. Again, congratulations to them for the win. But, for ASU, this would be a good time to try and encourage their own supporters and alumni to open up their checkbooks, rather than crying yet again because the UA wont agree to pay them what they think they deserve.

rihog

Who cares, play don't play does it really matter to anyone, really?
Our biggest strength is that we don't have any weaknesses;
Our biggest weakness is that we don't have any strengths. -J. Frank Broyles

Brownie Tuggle

Congrats to the Tire & Wheel school over in Jonesboro on a major victory over BIG 12 Stud Texas A & M!!! Good luck Red Wolves!!!

LongviewHog

I agree, the ASU fans seem to want to kick the UA fans every time they have a little success. I wish they would play every year! It would be just like playing ULM, or Tulsa, or WILL. They would be about like La Tech is to LSU. They dont hurt LSU recruiting. Hell, lets play em!!!!!

aswefightforever

i have a few friends of mine from high school that go to stAte.  when me and my buddy were at DW for the razorback game...telling me that they were up on A&M with 2 minutes left...and they had the ball.  i was in shock.  every chance those guys get...they talk down about the hogs.  i don't understand it.  i can sit here and cheer for their team and be happy for them.  a few minutes after they told me that i got another text saying "we're down in college station having a good time.  what's the deal with the game on the hill?"  if i hear something along these lines, "we just beat texas A&M...and you can barely beat a D-II school?!"  i may lose my cool.

i don't understand why it even has to be a big deal, you know?  i'm not a red wolf fan...but, i'm happy for my friends and i'm happy for that program.  why the resentment towards us?  no matter what happens...the arkansas razorbacks are the team of the state of arkansas.
yuh.

Westcoasthog

Arkansas and Arkansas State should play each other every year - other state
schools play each other -  Mississippi  and Mississippi State. Oregon and Oregon
State - why should Arkansas help Louisiana Monroe to 1A status - the State of Arkansas needs to keep the money in the State of Arkansas.   A great victory for Arkansas State and for Coach Steve Roberts in their victory
over Texas  A&M 18 - 14!

Razorback Homer

September 01, 2008, 05:01:27 am #34 Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 05:09:14 am by Razorback Homer
Ole Miss and Mississippi State are in the same conference.

Oregon and Oregon State are in the same conference.

At least site instances of states that have teams playing each other that are in different conferences, like Ole Miss/Miss State playing Southern Miss - ooops!  Guess what?  Neither play Southern anymore for many of the same reasons that are given for not playing ASU.

Why help ULM?  Northern La produces a lot of D1 players, and even though the previous staff didn't do a good job of recruiting them, Arkansas gets additional exposure in their press by playing ULM.

As far as keeping the money in state, Arkansas is sending money out of state to ULM, but ASU is bringing money back into state by playing TAMU.  If ASU is getting the same amount from TAMU as Arkansas is paying ULM, it is a zero sum gain for the state.  However, ASU is bringing back more money from TAMU than Arkansas is paying ULM, so it actually works out better for the state.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

Philip Seaton

{SIGH}

Not trying to flame, because I'd love to see all state teams play. But why Texas Southern for ASU? Why not UCA or UAPB? And the same thing for Arkansas? Why Western Illinois? Why not UCA or UAPB? It's a circle that should be broken. It would be great for all of the teams in the state and football in the state. I could care less, but would love to see the state teams play each other.

pigture perfect

September 01, 2008, 06:16:40 am #36 Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 06:26:23 am by pigture perfect
Quote from: KJL on August 31, 2008, 02:46:18 pm
Anyone read those Aggie boards?
Not since I found out they liked their gay porn. MAybe they will send it to Asu now. ;D

Oh. by the way congrats ASU. What a great win.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

aaaactionvp

I told them that their program will always be someones homecoming game.  They are punks.

Arkstfan

A few points.
1. If you think Arkansas needs to play ULM to get exposure in North Louisiana you know absolutely nothing about North Louisiana. Every television station in the Monroe to Shreveport corridor covers UA well because there are so many Hog fans in their market, plus it is SEC country, when is the last time a Little Rock or Fayetteville station failed to give good coverage to an SEC school? When ASU and UA played in the NIT it was carried live on television in North Louisiana. Arguing for playing ULM to get North Louisiana exposure is like arguing for playing ASU to get Northeast Arkansas exposure.

YOU ARE IN THE SOUTHEASTERN CONFERENCE. YOU GET NATIONAL EXPOSURE NO MATTER WHO YOU PLAY IN NON-CONFERENCE. Hard for some of you to believe, but the SEC is sort of a big deal in college athletics.

2. ASU vs. Texas Southern. Up until the first of the year, ASU was scheduled to play Western Kentucky. WKU is transitioning to FBS football in the Sun Belt and we scheduled them at the request of the conference. Western sought permission to drop the game and they were obligated to find a replacement Texas Southern is who they drug up. WKU dropped the game because Kentucky offered to play them. Apparently the folks at Kentucky have gathered from their Louisville experience that playing in-state isn't so bad. However the point begs the question. If ASU should play UCA and UAPB, why isn't Arkansas playing UCA or UAPB in lieu of Western Illinois? The very first game by any team bearing the name Red Wolves was a soccer game vs. UCA, last Friday ASU and UAPB played soccer. That's more games in-state in the last week than Arkansas has played in the past decade.

A story about the damage that in-state games does.

If you were a high school senior or junior and you watched Tennessee lose in Memphis to the Tigers:
1. If you signed with Memphis. You never played on a winning team.
2. If you signed with Tennessee. You got a national championship ring.

astate

September 01, 2008, 09:59:37 pm #39 Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 10:02:26 pm by astate
Good Post Artstfan.   I used to be one of those ASU fans obsessed with UA not wanting to play ASU.  Not anymore.  It really only benefits ASU within the state of Arkansas to beat UA.  No one outside of the state gives a crap.  ASU needs to continue to seek to play good quality non conference teams.  They can eventually get to the point where they are a capable team on a national level.  The UA, unfortunately, is treading water.  They are still reliving the Frank Broyles national championship from the 60s.  The fact is the UA is a middle tier football program.  One poll this year had them ranked in preseason at over 50. There is no question that the UA is the best team in Arkansas (woo hoo!) but on a national level they are just living in the past.  In case you haven't noticed there is a huge difference in the top two or three teams in Division 1-A and everyone else is an also ran.  Neither the UA nor ASU is likely to have a top 5 football team any time in the near future regardless of how many 1-AA or Sun-belt teams they play ( more to the point BECAUSE they play 1-AA and Sunbelt teams.

SwinedMelon

"Bar-keep, another go around again. One for me and whats-his-name, my new best friend!"

Texman

Hawghiggs

Quote from: Texman on September 01, 2008, 10:43:39 pm
Are you a t-shirt fan or a real graduate?
T-shirt fans helped build the UofA. So don't be a jacka$$

aaaactionvp

so you think if you didn't graduate from the university, you aren't a real fan?  Thats the dumbest thing i have ever heard.  The majority of fans you see in the stands at any campus on any saturday are non-university graduates.

aaaactionvp

I didn't graduate from the university and i am a die hard fan.  Sorry if thats beneath your high social status, but if you have a problem with non-university grads, you can bl*w me.

aaaactionvp

I'm sorry to keep posting here, but this pisses me off.  I'm not a UA grad, but i am a US military veteran, which IMO is just as important, if not more so. 

aaaactionvp

Quote from: theProdigy on September 01, 2008, 11:38:40 pm
Did you go to one of the service academies or just enroll?
i was enlisted.  i volunteered.

aaaactionvp

no, thankfully.  I was in during the early to mid 90's.  I was in when the OKC bombing took place.  I was in alaska at the time.  Sorry to rant.  that guys attitude just made me mad.  This university, as well as the country was built on the sweat of the "non-educated" working man.

PowderedToastMan

UA and stAte should play at WMS every year.  That way, UA keeps their LR game.  They can split the gate receipts, or alternate years of taking the gate receipts.  UA can get a guaranteed opponent for alot less than they are paying anybody else to play.
WOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE!!!

Albert Einswine

Quote from: MuleriderFan on September 02, 2008, 07:24:20 am
UA and stAte should play at WMS every year.  That way, UA keeps their LR game.  They can split the gate receipts, or alternate years of taking the gate receipts.  UA can get a guaranteed opponent for alot less than they are paying anybody else to play.

Like welfare much?
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker