Ridgerunners
65 (13.5%)
Ridgeraiders
24 (5%)
Thunderbirds
52 (10.8%)

Total Members Voted: 454

mosehawg

Jonesboro (AP) - The panel picking a new mascot name for Arkansas State University has narrowed its list to a dozen finalists.

The university is retiring its Indians nickname and mascot to conform to NCAA guidelines.

The Mascot Steering Committee is made up of chairmen of the nine subcommittees that have reviewed nicknames suggested by the public. The steering group chose from 42 names that were recommended by the subcommittees.

They are: A's, Blackwolves, Redwolves, Diamonds, Express, Mallards, Mustangs, Red Dragons, Red Storm, Ridgerunners, Ridgeraiders and Thunderbirds.

The committee will meet December 3rd to review the list.
"I don't take no anesthetic. Did Lincoln ask for any girlie gas when they blowed his head off?"

HeathWimp

Who gives a crap.

My moron ex-boss was a proud ASU alum.  He couldn't make a subject and verb agree if you held a gun to his head, and I think that he was probably pretty typical of ASU.  Joke of a school.

-1 to ASU.
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

fort_hog

How about the ASU Mouthbreathers.

mosehawg

ASU is not that bad...I mean they are already used to being the step child...I mean our Illustrious Governor is an ASU alum...we maybe that was a bad pick...Larry Lacewell...Cleo Lemon...maybe you are right
"I don't take no anesthetic. Did Lincoln ask for any girlie gas when they blowed his head off?"

tennhogfan

Mallards in the lead!!!

I can hear it now........

"Let me hear you CHATTER those mallards"

DIGGUH DOOGUH DIGGUH DOOGUH DIGGUH DOOGAH

Then the "WAIL" calls.

DIGGUH DOOGUH DIGGUH DOOGUH DIGGUH DOOGAH

Then the "C'MON DOWN" call,

AND THE MALLARDS RUN OUT ON THE FIELD!!!!

Frank and Swine

fort_hog

they could nickname the stadium...."The Duck Blind"

mosehawg

I just can't quit you...Frank to Houston...aka Brokeback MTN...How bout the Hershey HWY Express

Barman91

Quote from: HeathWimp on November 14, 2007, 08:03:34 pm
  Joke of a school.

Is making a subject and verb agree harder than writing a sentence that is a fragment?  Just sayin...

Ex-Trumpet

They should just shut everybody up and change to "Redskins."
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

SiriusHog™

how about the ASU Mullets

or the ASU Copenhagens

"ladies and gentlemen, please welcome YOUR Arkansas State Siiiiiissterrkiiiiisserrrrrs!"

8)

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Barman91 on November 14, 2007, 08:13:45 pm
  Joke of a school.

Is making a subject and verb agree harder than writing a sentence that is a fragment?  Just sayin...

;D
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

mosehawg

Quote from: SiriusHog™ on November 14, 2007, 08:14:52 pm
how about the ASU Mullets

or the ASU Copenhagens

"ladies and gentlemen, please welcome YOUR Arkansas State Siiiiiissterrkiiiiisserrrrrs!"

8)

+1 THAT WAS AWESOME!

Mallardman69

hey I bet they could have beaten Arkansas in football this year

I voted Mallards, I can take my duck call to all the games

RebelliousHog

I'm not an AState hater, but personally they all suck.
Redwolves? Blackwolves? Why not just........Wolves.
A's? As in  Oakland?
Express sounds like a soccor team.
Diamonds is well........non inspiring.
Mallards? A duck? That gets shot a lot? No thanks.
Mustangs? Taken already by SMUT
Red Dragons? Red Storm? Sounds like characters in XMen.
Ridgerunners and Ridgeraiders makes them sound like a bunch of gap-toothed moonshiners.
Thunderbirds. That one almost sounds ok. Air Force drill team. Bird of Indian legend (tie in to old name). Gotta go with TBirds   
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

BradyHolzhauer

I have no problem with ASU.  I'll root for any in-state team.  Now, I'm no diehard fan by any means, I only follow the Razorbacks with any passion, but I sure don't root against them.

tennhogfan

Sirius-

I'm not an ASU fan, but being from Jonesboro, that hurt. I assure you I saw more of that once I left home!!

HeathWimp

Joke of a school.

Good catch.  + 1 to you.  Personally, sentence fragments don't bother me nearly as much as the subject/verb thing.  I got so sick of memos that started off "We have went over this before" or "I seen such and such."

Just for the record:

"ASU is a joke of a school."
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: HeathWimp on November 14, 2007, 08:17:59 pm
  Joke of a school.

Good catch.  + 1 to you.  Personally, sentence fragments don't bother me nearly as much as the subject/verb thing.  I got so sick of memos that started off "We have went over this before" or "I seen such and such."

Just for the record:

"ASU is a joke of a school."

I take it you don't approve of Keef?

SiriusHog™

Quote from: tennhogfan on November 14, 2007, 08:17:05 pm
Sirius-

I'm not an ASU fan, but being from Jonesboro, that hurt. I assure you I saw more of that once I left home!!

just making jokes my man.. i really have nothing against ASU...all 3 of my sisters graduated from there... if you dont believe me, just call the Pizza Hut in Marion and ask them.. ;)

I am MrAZIFFELL

My uncle is head of the group & won't listen to me...
I want them to be the "ENGINES"...

lockmaster

November 14, 2007, 08:24:18 pm #21 Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 08:41:47 pm by locknuts_up
Cardinals.Cardinals.Cardinals.Cardinals.Cardinals.Cardinals.Cardinals.Cardinals.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: HenduHog on November 14, 2007, 08:17:02 pm
A's? As in  Oakland?
Ridgerunners and Ridgeraiders makes them sound like a bunch of gap-toothed moonshiners.
Thunderbirds. That one almost sounds ok. Air Force drill team. Bird of Indian legend (tie in to old name). Gotta go with TBirds  

What's wrong with friggin' Indians?!?!?! 

Offensive?  BS

I'm Irish!  Notre Dame should change their name...I'm offended!!  Fighting Irish?  Sounds like a bunch of drunken sots that get in bar-room skirmishes!  Have you ever heard such nonsense?!?!?!

hogbud

WRITE IN VOTE...........
The Ivory Billed Woodpeckers because there was lots of early excitement followed by total disappointment.

Mallardman69

how about this

ASU, the team with no name

;D

razorrog1

How 'bout the Arkansas State Red Headed Step Children?

tennhogfan

Quote from: SiriusHog™ on November 14, 2007, 08:22:21 pm
Quote from: tennhogfan on November 14, 2007, 08:17:05 pm
Sirius-

just making jokes my man.. i really have nothing against ASU...all 3 of my sisters graduated from there... if you dont believe me, just call the Pizza Hut in Marion and ask them.. ;)

+1 Now that is funny no matter who you are!!

THHAWG

Leaning towards Redwolves.

SiriusHog™

how about the Arkansas State:

they could be a symbol.. like Prince..

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: SiriusHog™ on November 14, 2007, 08:35:53 pm

"The Team Formerly Known as Indians"

Mallardman69

if they would just hire Houston Nutt think of all the possiblities with both Nutts there

razorrog1

They could join the 7A (or maybe 6A) and remain the Indians.

Dr Swineglove

Quote from: hogbud on November 14, 2007, 08:25:10 pm
WRITE IN VOTE...........
The Ivory Billed Woodpeckers because there was lots of early excitement followed by total disappointment.

Good one!  +1
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

Lanlord

ArmLancestrong

Red Dragon and Red Storm may still offend Native Americans

capehog

I grew up in Jonesboro and over the years have heard all the yearly struggles of the now defunct Indians. The old man ran shine back in the day so I vote for the ridgerunners.  Of course the obvious name is the ASU Skeeters.
Quote from: Fatty McGee on October 26, 2010, 03:19:41 pm
I think we should beat anyone who has ideas that we disagree with and dares to make the public.  You're right on here.
Quote from: Overtheroadtruckdriver on April 28, 2010, 05:34:48 pm
Everyone and their dog on here turned in to dr. Phil. That's my favorite part. Everybody had advice. If I ever need advice, which is doubtful, hogville will be the last place I come for it.

Watching the rockets launch from the beach is way cool. Time for a new NASA to continue the mission. Crying shame we have a president that hates America. You people get what you deserve  #obamasfault

razorrog1

As a white male, I would totally not be offended with the:

Arkansas State Fighting Whities!!

Who's with me??!!!!

DEVIL DOG HOG

Offensive?  BS

I'm Irish!  Notre Dame should change their name...I'm offended!!  Fighting Irish?  Sounds like a bunch of drunken sots that get in bar-room skirmishes!  Have you ever heard such nonsense?!?!?!
[/quote]

They are playing like a bunch of drunken sots.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

Donny2665

How about the Indians?  Oh yeah some morons think that is offensive, just like sitting Indian style, is now a gay sounding Cris Cross apple sauce, who were these morons?
This life's hard, but it's harder if you're stupid.~George V.Higgins

Ignorance is a voluntary misfortune!~Nicolas Ling

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.~Mark Twain

hog.goblin

November 14, 2007, 08:49:20 pm #39 Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 08:50:53 pm by hog.goblin
Other:

ASU Ivory-Billed Woodpeckers

Sorry Hogbud...didn't read the whole thread.  You beat me to it.  +1

HoggySTruman

I say  thunderbirds because it has an "indian" connotation.  Oh yeah, screw the NCAA for this stupid rule.

East Clintwood

Change it to the ASU Politicly Correct
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: DEVIL DOG HOG on November 14, 2007, 08:44:27 pm

Offensive?  BS

They are playing like a bunch of drunken sots.
[/quote]

It's a beautiful thing!!

RebelliousHog

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 14, 2007, 08:24:26 pm
Quote from: HenduHog on November 14, 2007, 08:17:02 pm
A's? As in  Oakland?

Offensive?  BS

Get no argument from me. I'm a good bit Cherokee Indian. References to Indians never bothered me. I'm part Irish,too. But I don't claim it.

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 14, 2007, 08:37:13 pm
Quote from: SiriusHog™ on November 14, 2007, 08:35:53 pm

"The Team Formerly Known as Indians"

I LIKE IT!!!
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

hawgdog2005

razorrog1

Quote from: East Clintwood on November 14, 2007, 08:49:59 pm
Change it to the ASU Politicly Correct
How about changing to whatever name he or she is comfortable with?  If you want to call them the Woodpeckers, who am I to be so insensitive about your feelings and call them something else.  It has to be a choice he or she can live with, and we must respect each others different points of view.
Peace be upon you. 

EL' MAHOG

I love the Copenhageners, come on say it 1 time, its catchy!
I guess it finally rained, its down to 85, I bet the fish are bitin' down by the riverside

lockmaster

Woodpeckers?......woodies for short ...or the peckers?

bigyellowdog

How about something really unique such as the interior decorators, flight attendants, or floral designers?