Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UCA coach would like Arkansas DI schools to play each other

Started by hawgyMcHawg, October 23, 2007, 09:47:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgWyld

Quote from: Mark Lericos on October 23, 2007, 11:57:01 am

I remember getting ripped apart for suggesting Arkansas stop playing Sun Belt cupcakes (other than Troy thank you very much) out of state and play the in-state ones. It makes sense.

Oh well....
Same here. I've said for years that an annual Arkansas/ASU game in Little Rock would be an absolute hoot.

Justme

Quote from: PolishPigPower on October 23, 2007, 10:17:16 am
Quote from: BigDeal on October 23, 2007, 10:15:04 am
I'm all for an UA - AState game. UCA hasn't earned it notches in the NCAA ranks yet.

But UT-Chattanooga certainly has...  Keep the $$$ in-state, guys.  What's it gonna hurt?
I agree.  Keep the money in state.  Makes no difference.

ckhawgu

I would love to see the UofA step up and do something good for the State, fans, and local economy by playing these instate schools. Maybe they could play an alternating schedule where ASU was one year and the UCA was the next years game. However, I just think they are absolutely to high minded on the hill to see the excitement and good it would bring into the state.

Ironhawg

HatfieldHog

Why does this discussion have to always come up?

There is no reason for the U of A to play the lessers instate.

The U of A only stands to lose from anything that happens unless it's 70-10.

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

elkhog

Let them play.  Keep the money in state, help out the smaller schools.
GO HOGS!!!

bearcathog

October 23, 2007, 08:51:41 pm #56 Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 08:53:19 pm by bearcathog
UCA is playing Kentucky in Basketball @ Rupp.
"Never Trust a Bunny" Wolf to Twitchy

ark30inf

Quote from: HatfieldHog on October 23, 2007, 07:30:19 pm

See ya

Thats crazy, first of all, thats $500,000 bucks or so that does not go to North Texas or Chattanooga...thats $500,000 less that taxpayers of Arkansas have to pay to subsidize athletic programs at UCA and ASU.  That helps UA more than it does for that money to go to Texas or Tennessee.  This is not a zero-sum game and Arkansas doesn't have lots of extra $300,000 or $500,000 bucks just to throw outside its borders when not necessary to do so.  All these schools get money out of the same tax pool.  Thats what makes the UA has nothing to gain argument non-logical. 

uams1989

For the record, BAMA has not played a smaller instate school in modern history.  They even stopped playing Alabama Polytechnic Institute (Auburn) for 30 years until the legislature made them start playing in the 1950's.

What benefit does the state school, such as Arkansas, gain from playing the smaller schools?  There is no benefit for the large program.  None.  In a state like Arkansas where there is no other "large" competition, why would you want to force fans of ASU or UCA to have to begin pulling against Arkansas.  The way it is now, everyone can pull for their smaller school and be an Arkansas fan.

Though it is fun and exciting to have an instate rival, such as Auburn for Alabama, but even in Alabama where there are usually far more blue-chippers than in the state of Arkansas, Auburn typically has to recruit heavily in Georgia and Florida.  Auburn has played Troy, Samford, and UAB in the past, but not in the last 10 years. 

When a blue-chipper chooses to go to UCA or ASU over UA, people will rethink wanting to "help these small instate schools out."
"They got a name for the winners in the world...
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide..."

THAWG

Whenever this subject comes up, I think of what Mississippi could have if it had the Mississippi University Golden Rebel Dogs instead of hat it's got.  Now loyalties and recruiting bases (in a rich state for recruiting) are divided three ways.  A couple of weeks ago, Ole Miss had 62,000 for Alabama, Miss. State had 55,000 for Tenn, and Southern Miss had 40,000 for whoever they played.  Put all that together, and Mississippi, if it had what we have (a one-school state) could easily fill a 90,000 seat stadium every week.

The only reason ASU and UCA want to play us is to get some of what we got.  I think we  are right to protect what we got.

By the way, Miss. is comparable in size to Ark.  So. Carolina has a million more people.

bearcathog

Quote from: RazorbackDem on October 23, 2007, 12:32:33 pm
Quote from: PolishPigPower on October 23, 2007, 10:17:16 am
Quote from: BigDeal on October 23, 2007, 10:15:04 am
I'm all for an UA - AState game. UCA hasn't earned it notches in the NCAA ranks yet.

But UT-Chattanooga certainly has...  Keep the $$$ in-state, guys.  What's it gonna hurt?

My blood boils every time I hear this argument.  We pay UT-Chatt.  Texas pays ASU.  "Keeping the $$$ in-state" also would result in LOSING revenue from other states paying ASU, UAPB, UCA.  Now, saying that keeping the game here would generate more interest in the fans, more would pay to see it, and the city in which the game is hosted would gain economically is a different argument altogether.  Shame you're not making it. 

Quote from: hogfan064 on October 23, 2007, 11:39:24 am
Quote from: HoopSlap on October 23, 2007, 11:35:10 am
So how many notches did South Florida have when we played them?  And by all means, I'd rather play a new D1 team than the UT-Chatts of the world. 

No need to be scared.  Texas plays against all of the little brothers there.  It is just funny that we can play North Texas, UTC, FIU but not ASU.

Why?

Every SEC school plays small instate schools.  THere's no reason we shouldn't play ASU, UCA, or UAPB.

Also not true.  Someone did this analysis on the Arkansas Times Blog yesterday when discussing this same topic.

Alabama scheduled no lesser in-state school
Auburn didn't either
LSU scheduled Tulane and La. Tech
Ole Miss scheduled no lesser in-state school (unless you count Miss. St.)
MSU scheduled no lesser in-state school (unless you count Ole Miss)
Florida plays Florida Atlantic
Georgia scheduled no lesser in-state school
Kentucky scheduled Eastern Kentucky
S. Carolina scheduled South Carolina State
Tenn. scheduled no lesser in-state school (they have to play Vandy)
Vandy scheduled no lesser in-state school

So, only 4 out of 12 schools voluntarily played a lesser in-state school.  Your analysis fails.

Now, as opposed as I am to playing ASU (well, not so much opposed to the idea, but opposed to the boneheaded arguments people make in favor of it), I would fully support a compromise where UA and ASU play every year in LR, and there are no more home games in WMS (I'm tired of peeing in a trough).  When it took 5 hours to get from LR to Fayetteville, it made sense.  Now...not so much.  Drive the extra 2.5 hours, get a hotel room, and enjoy your weekend.

AS for lesser schools, SEC has played D-1AA many times and in the last five years.

I am only considering D-1AA(FBS Schools)

Kentucky-E. Kentucky, Kent St, Murray St, (in-State) and Texas State

Vanderbilt-Tennessee St, Chattanooga(in State), Furman,Richmond(twice), E. Kentucky

Tennessee-no FBS, but played Middle Tennessee(Sun Belt)

Florida-Florida A&M(in state)W. Carolina, W. Kentucky

South Carolina-Wofford, S. Carolina St., (in state)
Georgia-Ga. Southern(in state),W. Carolina, W. Kentucky,Northwestern St,

Ole Miss-The Citadel, Northwestern St.

Miss. St.-Jacksonville St-2, Maine, Murray St., Gardner-Webb(where is it?)

Auburn-W. Carolina, W. Kentucky, Citadel, Tenn. Tech

Arkansas-Missouri St-2(UCA beat them twice in the last 5 years), Chattanooga

Alabama-N. Illinois, W.Carolina-2

LSU-Citadel, W.Illinois, Appalachian St. 

5 of 12 played in-state, FBS schools plus several of those schools are out of state. Yet, closer than UCA or StAte is to Fayetteville.  Plus StAte is FCS.

bearcathog

Quote from: ark30inf on October 23, 2007, 09:04:11 pm

See ya

Thats crazy, first of all, thats $500,000 bucks or so that does not go to North Texas or Chattanooga...thats $500,000 less that taxpayers of Arkansas have to pay to subsidize athletic programs at UCA and ASU.  That helps UA more than it does for that money to go to Texas or Tennessee.  This is not a zero-sum game and Arkansas doesn't have lots of extra $300,000 or $500,000 bucks just to throw outside its borders when not necessary to do so.  All these schools get money out of the same tax pool.  Thats what makes the UA has nothing to gain argument non-logical. 
Plus, U of A, could pay half of that and spend the money on a new HC. LOL.

no one

Quote from: chiefsfan on October 23, 2007, 12:46:43 pm
Quote from: no one on October 23, 2007, 12:21:13 pm
I don't think it is a good idea.  Arkansas is too small to have fans start having to decide which Arkansas team to root for.  Right now people are hog fans and possible fans of ASU or whatever.  We need a solid, one state fan base.  That is one of the FEW things that set Arkansas apart. 

not really, Minnesota has a united fan base.   Of course they have only 1 D1 school in the state anyway.   The difference is that in sports other then football, there are 5 D1 schools in the state.   4 of them play each other on a decent basis.   1 of them refuses to acknowledge the other 4 exist

I don't try to make arguments for arkansas playing ASU or UCA, because after looking at the schedule this year it makes too much logical sense

ASU or UCA will fill up Razorback or War Memorial or wherever stadium you play them.   Fans would be excited about the game, because its something new that this state hasnt seen before.   And most of all, ASU or UCA come a whole lot cheaper then the likes of North Texas Florida International or Tennessee Chatanooga

If Arkansas is worried about losing recruits to a Sun Belt School, or a 1AA transitional school, then they have many more problems then most of us would ever think
Quote from: War Warthog on October 23, 2007, 12:58:04 pm
Quote from: no one on October 23, 2007, 12:21:13 pm
I don't think it is a good idea.  Arkansas is too small to have fans start having to decide which arkansas team to root for.  Right now people are hog fans and possible fans of ASU or whatever.  We need a solid, one state fan base.  That is one of the FEW things that set Arkansas apart. 

I think DMW has split the fan base all by himself.

I wouldn't be worried about losing recruits.  I was talking more of the Mississippi analogy that another poster had.  Minnesota probably has a larger population, thus having large fan bases.  It would only take close games to have an ASU/UA fan change to just an ASU fan.  There were other discussions of money, as rabid as Razorback fans are, the money will be lost on products bought with Razorbacks on them. 

Completely agree about DMW.  I wouldn't want a split of a split. 

Jphog

I think we should play in state schools.  UA-ASU should play in Little Rock, ASU gets no pay out except money they get from their ticket sales.  I would rather see that than a UT Chat, North Texas or FIU game

Veritas Arkansas

Quote from: ark30inf on October 23, 2007, 09:04:11 pm

See ya

YES IT IS A ZERO SUM GAME!  I don't know how much more obvious this is!

We pay N. Texas 500k to beat them (Arkansas - 500k)
Texas pays ASU 500K to beat them  (ASU + 500k)

If Arkansas paid ASU 500K to beat them (Arkansas - 500k, ASU + 500k), then there is NO MONETARY GAIN AT ALL TO THE STATE OF ARKANSAS!  You simply have it coming from a different source.  I really have NO IDEA why people have such a hard time comprehending this idea!!!  Unless ASU decides to play us at a discount, which they really couldn't afford to do, there is no truth to the "keep the money in-state" concept.  I have no idea so many people don't get this.

And no, not all this money is from the same "tax pool."  Most of what the athletic program is funded with is the Razorback Foundation, which does not receive any tax income directly.
Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 02, 2017, 03:02:35 pm
I like to refer to myself as a bigot.  I have every right to be.

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on October 06, 2017, 01:23:52 pm
White Nationalists aren't any more evil than homosexuals.

ark30inf

Quote from: Jphog on October 23, 2007, 10:06:53 pm
I think we should play in state schools.  UA-ASU should play in Little Rock, ASU gets no pay out except money they get from their ticket sales.  I would rather see that than a UT Chat, North Texas or FIU game

I'm a UA and ASU fan, but I don't think it needs to be in LR and I don't think UA should treat ASU any differently as far as payout as they would a North Texas or Troy.  It should be a UA home game.  The only time it should be considered elsewhere  in the state is if elsewhere has stadium that holds more than Razorback Stadium.

Jphog

Quote from: ark30inf on October 23, 2007, 10:10:22 pm
Quote from: Jphog on October 23, 2007, 10:06:53 pm

I'm a UA and ASU fan, but I don't think it needs to be in LR and I don't think UA should treat ASU any differently as far as payout as they would a North Texas or Troy.  It should be a UA home game.  The only time it should be considered elsewhere  in the state is if elsewhere has stadium that holds more than Razorback Stadium.

I don't agree ASU would get no pay out just a kick in the back side and a ticket back to J'boro

Duffer

Quote from: Tripod1 on October 23, 2007, 11:39:44 am
  All I have heard is how terrible and weak our schedule is yet those same people will not concede to us getting away from the directional schools and playing a natural rival here in our state.  99 out of 100 times the Hogs will win so there is nothing to fear.

"natural rival" is pushing it.  for there to be a rivalry, there would be a 50/50 split in the series.  Playing ASU or *gasp* DII UCA would be a rent-a-win, not a rivalry.  At least we'd make our Jonesboro neighbors happy for a few years until the yearly 60-7 beatings got old.

Quote from: ark30inf on October 23, 2007, 10:10:22 pm

it could be played in LR... and ASU would get credit for it being a "home game"... but you can bank on them only taking home the typical North Texas/Troy money after the game... and their 60-7 beat-down.

bearcathog

Quote from: Duffer on October 23, 2007, 10:16:27 pm
Quote from: Tripod1 on October 23, 2007, 11:39:44 am
  All I have heard is how terrible and weak our schedule is yet those same people will not concede to us getting away from the directional schools and playing a natural rival here in our state.  99 out of 100 times the Hogs will win so there is nothing to fear.

"natural rival" is pushing it.  for there to be a rivalry, there would be a 50/50 split in the series.  Playing ASU or *gasp* DII UCA would be a rent-a-win, not a rivalry.  At least we'd make our Jonesboro neighbors happy for a few years until the yearly 60-7 beatings got old.

UCA is D-1(FCS).  Same as Chattanooga. Missouri State(formally SEMO), whom Arkansas has played in the last 3 years.  (BTW UCA beat Missouri State in 2006, too)

Personally, I think UA or any FBS(formally D-1A) team should never play an FCS team,(formally D-1AA), and should only schedule FBS teams.

UA play StAte, definitely.

UCA playing UA or StAte, only if UCA moves up to (FBS).

hdandfbout

I would rather see Arkansas play UCA, Ark State, or Arkansas Tech instead of Troy and the other Sunbelt teams.  Arkansas used to play Tulsa.  I have season tickets to the UofA games and I am not going to the Florida International or any other sunbelt games.