Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Indians dream of battling 'big brother'

Started by ThunderHawg, August 24, 2007, 03:14:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim

Quote from: NMMIHog on August 24, 2007, 08:07:06 pm
I have always thought it would be cool for them to play in LR every year to kick of the season.

"I'll agree..."

Kicking Wing

Quote from: NEAHawgfan on August 24, 2007, 07:35:22 pm
I live about 25 miles from their campus. They're ridiculous. You should check out their message board sometime. Tribalgrounds.....I think. I used to occassionally post there just to get them all fired up, but they always come back with really lame and immature arguments that rarely hold any clout, and even more rarely ever make complete sense. It's basically a "wannabe" program with a bunch of kids who really play hard. It's not the players that are clueless, it's the athletic department and the fans. A friend of mine at work put it best when he said they're so worried about catching up to the Hogs that they can't see that UCA is about to catch them. If we played ASU, we'd beat them by 40 at least. If they played UCA, it would be a great game. I'll sum it up for you.....they're still boasting about beating the Hogs.....in GIRL'S BASKETBALL!!!!!!!!!!
I am not surprised to see many people on here have a common sense approach as to why there is no reason to avoid scheduling ASU.  ASU isn't seeking the game and even though they would take it, they wouldn't expect any different deal than FIU, Troy or UNT gets.  Of course ASU players would rather play UA than another BCS school and as David Bazzel said, UA players would rather play ASU than ULM.  It's petty to not play.  It won't "rake in money" or otherwise enhance ASU's prestige to play and lose to UA and if ASU were to beat UA then UA has problems way beyond playing ASU.

As to UCA, ASU has played them in FB and plays them in several sports now that they are D1.  Dean Lee has also mandated that if ASU schedules a D1AA team, they must first offer it to UCA.  In fact, as soon as UCA gets established in D1AA there will be a game between the two.  Count on it.  As for being equals, even UCA fans know that's not the case.  ASU would likely beat UCA by the same margin as UA would beat ASU.  Relying on a game from 12 years ago is like saying the Indians would be an equal to the hogs because they took them to overtime 20 years ago.  A LOT has changed.  The Roberts era has easily eclipsed the Joe Hollis era at ASU.

While we're on UCA, UA might as well schedule them as well since they are playing UT-Chatanooga.

One last thing, if ASU and UCA are equals, why is everyone predicting a close game against Troy when ASU beat them at their place last year?

FayettenamVeteran

Quote from: Albert Einswine on August 24, 2007, 03:25:23 pm
Those poor kids just don't understand.  It's not a rivalry just because one side wants it to be.

Arkansas is just another game for Texas and LSU.  The teams Arkansas has an "alledged" rivalry with.  Well, Texas has won at a 2 to 1 clip over Arkansas historically and LSU drills the Hogs more often than that.  

IronHog

Quote from: Kicking Wing on August 24, 2007, 08:23:06 pm
I live about 25 miles from their campus. They're ridiculous. You should check out their message board sometime. Tribalgrounds.....I think. I used to occassionally post there just to get them all fired up, but they always come back with really lame and immature arguments that rarely hold any clout, and even more rarely ever make complete sense. It's basically a "wannabe" program with a bunch of kids who really play hard. It's not the players that are clueless, it's the athletic department and the fans. A friend of mine at work put it best when he said they're so worried about catching up to the Hogs that they can't see that UCA is about to catch them. If we played ASU, we'd beat them by 40 at least. If they played UCA, it would be a great game. I'll sum it up for you.....they're still boasting about beating the Hogs.....in GIRL'S BASKETBALL!!!!!!!!!!
I am not surprised to see many people on here have a common sense approach as to why there is no reason to avoid scheduling ASU.  ASU isn't seeking the game and even though they would take it, they wouldn't expect any different deal than FIU, Troy or UNT gets.  Of course ASU players would rather play UA than another BCS school and as David Bazzel said, UA players would rather play ASU than ULM.  It's petty to not play.  It won't "rake in money" or otherwise enhance ASU's prestige to play and lose to UA and if ASU were to beat UA then UA has problems way beyond playing ASU.

As to UCA, ASU has played them in FB and plays them in several sports now that they are D1.  Dean Lee has also mandated that if ASU schedules a D1AA team, they must first offer it to UCA.  In fact, as soon as UCA gets established in D1AA there will be a game between the two.  Count on it.  As for being equals, even UCA fans know that's not the case.  ASU would likely beat UCA by the same margin as UA would beat ASU.  Relying on a game from 12 years ago is like saying the Indians would be an equal to the hogs because they took them to overtime 20 years ago.  A LOT has changed.  The Roberts era has easily eclipsed the Joe Hollis era at ASU.

While we're on UCA, UA might as well schedule them as well since they are playing UT-Chatanooga.

One last thing, if ASU and UCA are equals, why is everyone predicting a close game against Troy when ASU beat them at their place last year?

ASU wanted no part of UCA last year before their starting QB got hurt.  Would UCA win?  Probably not.  However, UCA had enough play makers like Ford and Farooz to make it a game no problem.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

IronHog

Quote from: FayettenamVeteran on August 24, 2007, 08:30:39 pm
Those poor kids just don't understand.  It's not a rivalry just because one side wants it to be.

Arkansas is just another game for Texas and LSU.  The teams Arkansas has an "alledged" rivalry with.  Well, Texas has won at a 2 to 1 clip over Arkansas historically and LSU drills the Hogs more often than that.  

Yea, but Arkansas' physical play vs. Texas every year went a long way to Texas not winning a NC for 40 years.

Texas' biggest game in history is the 69 shootout vs.  Arkansas or the USC game a couple of years ago.  There is a reason it happened that way.

Kicking Wing

August 24, 2007, 08:47:10 pm #55 Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 08:49:11 pm by Kicking Wing
Quote from: IronHog on August 24, 2007, 08:34:18 pm

ASU wanted no part of UCA last year before their starting QB got hurt.  Would UCA win?  Probably not.  However, UCA had enough play makers like Ford and Farooz to make it a game no problem.
ASU would have beat UCA by 3 TDs last year.  The year before when UCA had those guys they lost to UT-Martin and ASU beat them 56-7.  I will agree that every so often there would be games that were close when ASU slipped a little and UCA was up.  The same could be said for ASU vs. UA when UA has a "Citadel" type year and ASU has a good performance.  ASU would rarely win and when they did, it would have about as much impact as Memphis beating Tenn. or La. Tech beating Alabama a few years back.  Both Memphis and La. Tech were 2 win teams last year.

FayettenamVeteran

Quote from: IronHog on August 24, 2007, 08:37:54 pm

Yea, but Arkansas' physical play vs. Texas every year went a long way to Texas not winning a NC for 40 years.

Texas' biggest game in history is the 69 shootout vs.  Arkansas or the USC game a couple of years ago.  There is a reason it happened that way.

Arkansas may have kept Texas from a couple of NC's....however is it better to be the bride's maid or bride?  

Texas' biggest win in the modern era is the USC NC win, followed by their win in the Big 12 Championship game the year James Brown on 4th and short hit a streaking tight end for a big gain.  I think Nebraska?  

Comparing Arkansas football to Texas football is blasphemy to the Longhorns and portrays Hog fans as having penUs envy.  Texas > Arkansas > Arkansas State = black coffee s h i t while reading the paper at 6:00 in the morning.  

IronHog

Quote from: Kicking Wing on August 24, 2007, 08:47:10 pm

ASU would have beat UCA by 3 TDs last year.  The year before when UCA had those guys they lost to UT-Martin and ASU beat them 56-7.  I will agree that every so often there would be games that were close when ASU slipped a little and UCA was up.  The same could be said for ASU vs. UA when UA has a "Citadel" type year and ASU has a good performance.  ASU would rarely win and when they did, it would have about as much impact as Memphis beating Tenn. or La. Tech beating Alabama a few years back.  Both Memphis and La. Tech were 2 win teams last year.

Well if you are going to play that game Arkansas beat Auburn who stomped a mudhole in ASU.  Therefore Arkansas would have beat ASU by say 50 or so, not the 3 touchdown mark you gave ASU over UCA.

Midlevel sunbelt teams do not have much of a talent advantage over top 1AA teams like UCA was last year as they draw much talent from D1 transfers.  Add in UCA's superior multi-set offense and superior play makers and yes it would be a game.

IronHog

Quote from: FayettenamVeteran on August 24, 2007, 08:54:35 pm
Quote from: IronHog on August 24, 2007, 08:37:54 pm

Arkansas may have kept Texas from a couple of NC's....however is it better to be the bride's maid or bride?  

Texas' biggest win in the modern era is the USC NC win, followed by their win in the Big 12 Championship game the year James Brown on 4th and short hit a streaking tight end for a big gain.  I think Nebraska?  

Comparing Arkansas football to Texas football is blasphemy to the Longhorns and portrays Hog fans as having penUs envy.  Texas > Arkansas > Arkansas State = black coffee s h i t while reading the paper at 6:00 in the morning.  

We have stunk so bad the past 20 years because the Razorback's purpose in the Universe was to stop the rest of the country from having to suffer watching Texas win a NC.

JFB freaking messed up the balance of nature when he move the UofA to the SEC

j/k

Dugann

By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

4thdownnutt

reading  some of the engins comments ,this why we must raise the educational standards in Arkansas.  The engins want d1 ball they can't handle d1 ball.  They have no business playing d1 ball.  They better worry about texass

94 Hawg

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
~ Will Rogers

Westcoasthog

Arkansas and Arkansas State could definitely become a rivalry. If I am not mistaken every other state plays their state schools. Mr. Albert Einswine you are wrong ABOUT RIVALRIES! Bring on Arkansas State!  Texas is playing them this year. Every other school in the SEC is playing them!  Why not Arkansas - who wants to see these nothing games between North Texas, Tennessee Chattanooga, Troy, Florida International. Bring on Arkansas State! 

4thdownnutt

you're are mistaken - ever heard of nebraska, minnisoda or how about missouri,  hawaii need I say more? no wait don't answer that.

Kicking Wing

Quote from: IronHog on August 24, 2007, 08:59:39 pm

Well if you are going to play that game Arkansas beat Auburn who stomped a mudhole in ASU.  Therefore Arkansas would have beat ASU by say 50 or so, not the 3 touchdown mark you gave ASU over UCA.

Midlevel sunbelt teams do not have much of a talent advantage over top 1AA teams like UCA was last year as they draw much talent from D1 transfers.  Add in UCA's superior multi-set offense and superior play makers and yes it would be a game.

Genius, I wasn't saying ASU would beat them by the same margin or I would have said ASU would beat UCA by 50.  I was taking into account all that "D1" talent UCA had by giving them a 3 TD margin.  First of all, the Sun Belt was 5-0 against D1AA last year and while a top 5 D1AAA team could hang with a lot of Sun Belt teams, UCA was not a top level D1AA team.  They had a good first season, but they beat 4 D2 schools and 3 D1aa teams with losing records.

As for "superior" playmakers, I will put Reggie Arnold, Corey Leonard, Oren O'Neal, Preston Brown, Tyrell Johnson, Khayaam Burns and Koby McKinnon against anyone on any D1AA team.

JadedHog

A-state doesn't belong in D-1.............go back down indians

IronHog

Quote from: Kicking Wing on August 25, 2007, 10:20:30 am

Genius, I wasn't saying ASU would beat them by the same margin or I would have said ASU would beat UCA by 50.  I was taking into account all that "D1" talent UCA had by giving them a 3 TD margin.  First of all, the Sun Belt was 5-0 against D1AA last year and while a top 5 D1AAA team could hang with a lot of Sun Belt teams, UCA was not a top level D1AA team.  They had a good first season, but they beat 4 D2 schools and 3 D1aa teams with losing records.

As for "superior" playmakers, I will put Reggie Arnold, Corey Leonard, Oren O'Neal, Preston Brown, Tyrell Johnson, Khayaam Burns and Koby McKinnon against anyone on any D1AA team.

Quote:
"ASU would likely beat UCA by the same margin as UA would beat ASU"

you said it, not me

T-hawg

Quote from: Adram on August 24, 2007, 04:31:49 pm
     as a fan of both teams, i do find it pathetic that UA will not play ASU.  What makes UA superior to the other top teams of other states?  the "we have something to lose" argument shows why the razorbacks will never be a championship team.  i've haven't heard of many championship teams shying away from such a small team b/c of "what if we lose?". that's quite the winning mindset. and for ppl saying it wouldn't be a rivalry, it would be b/c of all the effort UA has put forth not to play ASU.

A school who will not step up to someone like ASU b/c they are worried about the chance of losing will never be a championship team. 

I applaud your comments.

By the way, how many recruits did the Citadel get when they beat us??
I'ts Diamond Hog time YALL!

Time for some crawfish and tailgating!

RedRock

Arkansas State should stop worrying about Arkansas not playing them.  They have bigger issues to worry about.  Texas, Tennessee, and naming a mascot.

Hogginitall

Quote from: junkyardhog on August 24, 2007, 04:18:05 pm
i understand the we have nothing to gain argument ,but the player was right everone else does it.

Why do you believe we us the nothing to gain execuse and these guys don't?

tulsa / ok
texas/rice
lsu/tulane
miami/fla. int.
co/co st.
uk/eastern k
IL/W. IL
michigan/eastern michigan
UF/Fla Atlantic

None of those matchups involve the only two D-1A schools in their respective states.  That's why it's different.

GrantMerrill

The ASU football games have not been carried by an actual Jonesboro radio station since 2002. The flagship station was one in Wynne that you couldn't even hear in the stadium. When you are a D-1 university, and the radio stations in your town won't even broadcast your games... you've got problems.

They are actually going to put the games on KFIN this year... and the only reason that has happened is because the luckily for them, the Clear Channel stations there were purchased by an ASU alum...

I don't really have anything against ASU, and it is not their desire to play us that bothers me. It is their sense of entitlement that gets me on a rant. They are lucky they are even in the Sun Belt.

Kicking Wing

Quote from: GrantMerrill on August 25, 2007, 12:41:23 pm
The ASU football games have not been carried by an actual Jonesboro radio station since 2002. The flagship station was one in Wynne that you couldn't even hear in the stadium. When you are a D-1 university, and the radio stations in your town won't even broadcast your games... you've got problems.

They are actually going to put the games on KFIN this year... and the only reason that has happened is because the luckily for them, the Clear Channel stations there were purchased by an ASU alum...

I don't really have anything against ASU, and it is not their desire to play us that bothers me. It is their sense of entitlement that gets me on a rant. They are lucky they are even in the Sun Belt.

Entitlement???  What the heck are you talking about?  Nobody is asking for any favorable treatment.  All anyone is saying is that if you are going to play Sun Belt teams and D1AA teams, at least pick a game that would be entertaining.  It's a football game for crying out loud.  Stop making excuses.

IronHog

Projected scores for last year:

UA 57  ASU 7
UCA 21  ASU 20

NWA 1
Conway 1
NEA  0

;D

Kicking Wing

Quote from: IronHog on August 25, 2007, 10:35:06 am

Quote:

you said it, not me
Yeah, what's your point?  I never said ASU would beat UA.  I imagine it would be a 3 TD margin.

Kicking Wing

Quote from: IronHog on August 25, 2007, 01:07:04 pm
Projected scores for last year:

UA 57  ASU 7
UCA 21  ASU 20

NWA 1
Conway 1
NEA  0

;D
Whose projection?  Yours or some other crackhead? :)

IronHog

Quote from: Kicking Wing on August 25, 2007, 01:09:03 pm

Quote:

you said it, not me
Yeah, what's your point?  I never said ASU would beat UA.  I imagine it would be a 3 TD margin.

1st quarter maybe.

I do with Johnson was a safety for UofA this year.

Kicking Wing

Quote from: IronHog on August 25, 2007, 01:11:53 pm

Quote:

you said it, not me

1st quarter maybe.

Johnson is awesome.

We'll see if you are up by 3 TDs after the first quarter against Troy.

David Brent

Quote from: Kicking Wing on August 25, 2007, 01:02:54 pm
Entitlement???  What the heck are you talking about?  Nobody is asking for any favorable treatment.  All anyone is saying is that if you are going to play Sun Belt teams and D1AA teams, at least pick a game that would be entertaining.  It's a football game for crying out loud.  Stop making excuses.

I think that's the key.  I'm all for playing ASU as long as we don't have to agree to a 50/50 split or home and home to do it.  I don't know if that would be the case or not, but if so, we may as well keep playing the Sun Belt teams we play now.

I don't think it will cause the UA to lose any in-state recruits and I don't think the extra in-state exposure for ASU will somehow half the fanbase.  I don't buy those arguments.

To me the only way the UA could be hurt by a series with ASU is if the had to give up home games and revenue to do it.  Like I said, that may not even be an issue, I have no idea.  But that's the only reason I would ever have a problem with it.

IronHog

Quote from: Kicking Wing on August 25, 2007, 01:13:27 pm
Quote from: IronHog on August 25, 2007, 01:11:53 pm

Quote:

you said it, not me

1st quarter maybe.

Johnson is awesome.

We'll see if you are up by 3 TDs after the first quarter against Troy.

Not as worried about Troy as I am Nutt.

Bracey and Johnson should have been the all-Rison starting safeties for UofA.

phadedhawg

I would love to see this game become a reality...

I wouldn't even mind seeing Ark St become a school that could compete.

Remember "divided fan base...division" those things...it would be nice to give people some options...

Plus Ark's population is growing and will continue to grow...

Also UofA has been shifting towards a more "NW Ark centered" team in recent years...

The time is right to play this game and drop those sad teams from Lousiana from our schedule.

My opinion that is...

WP razorback

August 25, 2007, 02:01:03 pm #80 Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 02:03:03 pm by WP razorback
I do not see why we do not go ahead and play in-state schools.  The arguments of it will divide the state and "we have nothing to gain and everything to lose" do not have any validity anymore, in my opinion (for what that's worth).

We have successfully accomplished these things without playing Arkansas State or University of Central Arkansas (now D-1 AA) => 

1) We have divided ourselves over this past year or so (see Mustain, Damian Williams, Gus Malzahn, Nutt (huggers/darksiders)). 

2)We are losing prize recruits to other schools, recently Southern California and Auburn (Kodi Burns, Lee Ziemba, Broderick Green, and Joe Adams).  As of today, we do not have to lose to in-state schools to lose prize recruits.

3)Lastly, we continue to play Sun Belt schools running the risk of losing to them.

It no longer makes any sense to me why we do not play Arkansas State.  If I am missing the argument as to why we do not play, please point this out to me.

Go Hogs Go!  Beat Troy!

Dugann

divided fan base hell Frank and HDN has already done that...they seem to have broken what they fought so hard not.

This said U of A will never be replaced in the hearts of most Arkansas folks but I do think they are searching for a close second.  UCA will now come in to play for Central Arkansas and ASU for East.  Tulsa/OSU even IMO for some of us in the West.  Heck I always cheer for every Arkansas school but the wedge grows more there could be some serious breakage. 

At least by U of A playing ASU and UCA look at the $ that stays in state and recruiting?  I think it would be great for that and rebuild the fence that no longer is around the state IMO.
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

4thdownnutt

me thinks kikinwing is a broken wing. money that stays in the state what about the money they don't get from out of state? do you understand  basic economics?  when you have more money coming to you than would be available from an in state team then its more profitable.  get-it?