Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Letting them play

Started by hogfan870, March 15, 2018, 10:16:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogfan870

Watching various games today and tonight, it sure seems like the refs in general have been letting teams play, without calling ticky tack fouls - and honestly sometimes not even blowing the whistle at some pretty obvious significant fouls.

Now that I say this, it would be our luck to get a crew that decides to call a super tight game, but I am encouraged by the officiating I have seen so far. If our game gets called like the ones I have been watching, I think it favors us.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

sowmonella

it's the big anticipation foul late in the game in a critical situation I worry about. If they let our guards be aggressive it will be a big help.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

azhog10

Did you watch the SFA vs TTU game? Def didn't let them play. It's crazy, I'm watching one game and refs are letting them play no teams in the bonus. I turn the channel and I see nearly 30 free throws in one half and teams in the double bonus with 5 mins to go.

Crazy it doesn't look like the same game.

hogfan870

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 15, 2018, 10:19:35 pm
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=658823.0

True

Clearly I did not read enough of the board before I started this topic.  In my defense, I am watching games and scrolling the board at the same time.

hogfan870

Quote from: azhog10 on March 15, 2018, 10:20:34 pm
Did you watch the SFA vs TTU game? Def didn't let them play. It's crazy, I'm watching one game and refs are letting them play no teams in the bonus. I turn the channel and I see nearly 30 free throws in one half and teams in the double bonus with 5 mins to go.

Crazy it doesn't look like the same game.

I did not watch that one, but I am flipping and watching pretty much all 4 on and off right now, and they seem to be letting them play in all of them.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogfan870 on March 15, 2018, 10:25:09 pm
Clearly I did not read enough of the board before I started this topic.  In my defense, I am watching games and scrolling the board at the same time.

Well the subject line wasn't clear too in your defense.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

azhog10

Quote from: hogfan870 on March 15, 2018, 10:26:41 pm
I did not watch that one, but I am flipping and watching pretty much all 4 on and off right now, and they seem to be letting them play in all of them.
For the most part I've agreed. I think I've seen two that were officiated tight. The rest haven't looked like SEC play at all. Lol.

hawgwild child

:PThe seton hall and nc state game was hard to watch. Over 50 fouls. But for the majority I've noticed, its officiated well for our style.  I've seen numerous games were fouls are only piling up towards the end of games.  This should be good for us I hope, especially with how good butler is at fts

Breems

Quote from: azhog10 on March 15, 2018, 10:49:41 pm
For the most part I’ve agreed. I think I’ve seen two that were officiated tight. The rest haven’t looked like SEC play at all. Lol.

Were those 2 UK/Davidson and VT/Bama?
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Breems on March 15, 2018, 11:31:24 pm
For a while there seemed to be 2 different sets of rules in the Bama game in the 2nd half. It was a pretty physical game, but it seemed Bama was getting called and VT wasn't.

azhog10

Quote from: Breems on March 15, 2018, 11:31:24 pm
TTU and SFA had nearly 50 fouls and over 50 free throws. NCSU vs SHU was over 50 fouls and over 60 free throws. Davidson and Kentucky didn't have as many, only 42 fouls but Kentucky shot a lot of free throws compared to Davidson. Bama vs VT was again fouls and free throws in the 40's. Not too bad. In comparison Miami vs Loyola was a 2 point game and had 27 fouls and 22 free throws or something to that affect. To me you had two maybe three games where the foul count was extremely high. Free throws won't tell the true story because at times one team can foul on the floor, while others are getting fouled shooting. Basketball is the hardest game to get consistent officiating. Saw a lot of anticipation calls out there.

Atlhogfan1

UK, Bama, TT, SFA all shoot a high % relative to other teams of FTs to FGs.  UK is just hard to guard because of their length and talent.  Bama is style. 

Didn't see SH but some analysis of their game I heard their plan was obviously to take it at NC St and play "Big East" basketball.  May be why their game had so many FTs. 

hogsanity

Quote from: azhog10 on March 16, 2018, 08:47:32 am
TTU and SFA had nearly 50 fouls and over 50 free throws. NCSU vs SHU was over 50 fouls and over 60 free throws. Davidson and Kentucky didn't have as many, only 42 fouls but Kentucky shot a lot of free throws compared to Davidson. Bama vs VT was again fouls and free throws in the 40's. Not too bad. In comparison Miami vs Loyola was a 2 point game and had 27 fouls and 22 free throws or something to that affect. To me you had two maybe three games where the foul count was extremely high. Free throws won't tell the true story because at times one team can foul on the floor, while others are getting fouled shooting. Basketball is the hardest game to get consistent officiating. Saw a lot of anticipation calls out there.

TT/SFA could not stop fouling and I mean FOULING. There were some hard fouls in that game. Bama committed 6 fouls in the 1st 3 mins of the 2nd half and they were all obvious calls. Meanwhile KS/PN had like 7 fouls total in the 1st half.

I agree with your statement about it being hard to be consistent. Yesterday 16 games and I believe 8 crews calling those 16 games ( I believe each crew called 2 games at each site ). That's 24 different humans with 24 different ideas on what is and is not a foul.   
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE