Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bielema & Co were involved....Morris & Co are committed

Started by twistitup, February 11, 2018, 08:44:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

clutch

I don't know if he will be successful yet, but I came away from the Arkansas Football Coaches Association meetings this past weekend with a very positive outlook on Coach Morris and staff. Whenever he says he has an open door policy with the high school coaches in the state, I believe him now. We've heard that a lot before from other guys..... cough, cough, Malzahn at ASU. They usually didn't mean it though. Morris left a great impression with the high school coaches around the state last weekend though.

Bielema and staff were pretty well liked at the convention, and I always thought they were pretty open, but Morris and staff took it to a whole new level. Usually the Razorback staff comes in and does their thing late Friday night and answers any questions anyone may have afterwards, takes pictures, etc..., then leaves and you don't see them again. Coach Morris and staff were out talking to anyone who would listen first thing Friday morning. They sat in on other speakers, made themselves available in the lobby area, and answered any questions that anyone had all day long Friday. They gave very good presentations Friday night, answered all questions, took pictures, and offered cutups of practice and game clips. They put out an open invitation to any coach to come in at any time and sit through practice, meetings, film sessions. They were social around town during meals, shaking hands, taking pictures and talking. They were around all day Saturday as well. I've never seen that out of a staff at the convention before. Usually they are gone after their Friday night presentations.

The biggest difference I noticed out of them though was that they didn't just sit back and wait on coaches to come up to them. They initiated conversation. They didn't care if it was a 7a coach or a 2a coach. They sought out everyone and tried to speak with every coach they could. That was impressive to me. They made big strides in putting that fence around the state that they talk about. The best way to keep players in state is to get in good with the coaches. Coaches will push hard for a school if they have faith in the staff. You walked away from conversations with every coach on their staff thinking that they would be guys that would take care of your players if you were to send them that way. I was very impressed. I think they are off to a good start.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: Steef on February 11, 2018, 07:25:47 pm
Guys...he's gone.

I understand malice towards Nutt. He went out of his way to screw us over.

I understand malice towards Bobby. He betrayed us for cheap sex.

But Bret is only guilty of failure.
I agree with this except for the cheap sex.  In hind site, that was some expensive sex.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

jabber71

Quote from: twistitup on February 11, 2018, 12:32:54 pm
I doubt we post a pic of CMM and say "he was terrible, now let's go back to the hard drinking blowhard... THAT was the right fit. " I can confidently say that won't happen. Sure there will be ups and downs - I expect that.

I look forward to seeing what's going to happen the next 5 years and to seeing if he can keep a staff together - that is what has killed us with CBB - nobody wanted to work for the guy

To be honest I think Bret "hard drinking blowhard" Bielema aptly represents a large portion of most college football fan bases on any given weekend, but that did not mean he would be successful, but it helped with his popularity. He would be a great guy to have a beer with at the airport bar, but I would not want to see him put on his captains hat and fly me home...
You can't always convince someone you are right, but you can always convince them you think you're right!

GuvHog

Quote from: clutch on February 12, 2018, 04:49:46 pm
I don't know if he will be successful yet, but I came away from the Arkansas Football Coaches Association meetings this past weekend with a very positive outlook on Coach Morris and staff. Whenever he says he has an open door policy with the high school coaches in the state, I believe him now. We've heard that a lot before from other guys..... cough, cough, Malzahn at ASU. They usually didn't mean it though. Morris left a great impression with the high school coaches around the state last weekend though.

Bielema and staff were pretty well liked at the convention, and I always thought they were pretty open, but Morris and staff took it to a whole new level. Usually the Razorback staff comes in and does their thing late Friday night and answers any questions anyone may have afterwards, takes pictures, etc..., then leaves and you don't see them again. Coach Morris and staff were out talking to anyone who would listen first thing Friday morning. They sat in on other speakers, made themselves available in the lobby area, and answered any questions that anyone had all day long Friday. They gave very good presentations Friday night, answered all questions, took pictures, and offered cutups of practice and game clips. They put out an open invitation to any coach to come in at any time and sit through practice, meetings, film sessions. They were social around town during meals, shaking hands, taking pictures and talking. They were around all day Saturday as well. I've never seen that out of a staff at the convention before. Usually they are gone after their Friday night presentations.

The biggest difference I noticed out of them though was that they didn't just sit back and wait on coaches to come up to them. They initiated conversation. They didn't care if it was a 7a coach or a 2a coach. They sought out everyone and tried to speak with every coach they could. That was impressive to me. They made big strides in putting that fence around the state that they talk about. The best way to keep players in state is to get in good with the coaches. Coaches will push hard for a school if they have faith in the staff. You walked away from conversations with every coach on their staff thinking that they would be guys that would take care of your players if you were to send them that way. I was very impressed. I think they are off to a good start.

Thanks for the info, that's very exciting to read!
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Tejano Jawg

A couple big differences—

Morris & Co. is a cohesive unit, Bielema and Co. not so much (however, may indeed have been good coaches individually.)

And, Morris & Co. have experienced bad times, so they know how to build. Bielema never saw the cellar until he got to Arkansas. That was a tough adjustment.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

twistitup

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on February 12, 2018, 04:45:45 pm
class representative of the program.

?

If acting like a drunk frat boy is classy....he was top notch. Everyone was very impressed with the farting, burping, unshaven flipflop appearance - classy no doubt.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

liljo

Quote from: clutch on February 12, 2018, 04:49:46 pm

Great post ! Thank you for sharing this.
Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

Steef

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on February 12, 2018, 04:50:53 pm
I agree with this except for the cheap sex.  In hind site, that was some expensive sex.

LOL

I thought of that after I posted it.

twistitup

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on February 12, 2018, 04:57:34 pm

Morris & Co. is a cohesive unit, Bielema and Co. not so much (however, may indeed have been good coaches individually.)

And, Morris & Co. have experienced bad times, so they know how to build. Bielema never saw the cellar until he got to Arkansas. That was a tough adjustment.

Great points. Morris having experience building a program will come in handy - he's been down, he's seen the bottom and knows how to crawl back. CBB was given a successful program and a babysitter to help keep it going - I bet he felt naked here at AR....No Alvarez, No depth, No redshirt program to grab kids from, No coaching staff (everybody bailed)

Having a solid, cohesive coaching staff will pay dividends for our football program.

hoghearted

Quote from: factchecker on February 11, 2018, 07:37:49 pm
I don't agree with you often but this is a key point.

I tried to buy the line about "recruits love his laid back attitude" but it was hard seeing our million dollar coach always wearing flip flops and shorts when recruits visited.

He looked slothful, and didn't project a good image. I know everybody liked his 'laid back' attitude, but it looked more like lazy to me. 
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: twistitup on February 11, 2018, 08:44:48 am
Committed vs Involved

There is a big difference between the two...

No rumors of off the job shenanigans

No You Tube dreams taking away from the task at hand

No Flip Flop and Shorts...instead it's business

No trips to FL for fun but labeled as 'recruiting'....instead it's business

No loud mouth promises - instead Morris is results driven

Less Bluster - More Bust Arse
No "bad taste in their mouths". No "chip on their shoulder". Just going to play football to best of their ability at all times. Don't need to have a phrase to describe their disappointment due to their poor play, as Bielema's teams did.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Oklahawg

A bit of a reach.

You won't see Nick Saban being hyper-charismatic but he is a damn good coach. Or Bob Stoops. Or Les Miles. Jimbo Fisher.

The rah-rah stuff wears me out when it comes from other coaches. Because Morris is ours my tolerance level will be higher. No style is perfect. Morris will be prone to some of the same weak moments that Nutt had - you can't always be "up."
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

twistitup

Quote from: Oklahawg on February 14, 2018, 01:18:48 pm
A bit of a reach.

You won't see Nick Saban being hyper-charismatic but he is a damn good coach. Or Bob Stoops. Or Les Miles. Jimbo Fisher.

The rah-rah stuff wears me out when it comes from other coaches. Because Morris is ours my tolerance level will be higher. No style is perfect. Morris will be prone to some of the same weak moments that Nutt had - you can't always be "up."

He's a high energy guy...it's his wiring.  The guys you named are older - energy possibly on the decline due to age. It's like Chavis - he will be a good coach and recruiter but I don't think he will have the energy of Morris - life does that to a person.

You need some of everything on every staff - I think we have a good blend. Time will tell~

Mo_Better_Hogs

As mentioned above, the one advantage CM had over other coaching candidates was that he lived through bad situations. Not just the good. He had to develop patience that others may not have been force to do. Bielema's situation was consistently good. His lowest points were usually the last games of the season--the Rose Bowl losses.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: twistitup on February 14, 2018, 01:28:13 pm
He's a high energy guy...it's his wiring.  The guys you named are older - energy possibly on the decline due to age. It's like Chavis - he will be a good coach and recruiter but I don't think he will have the energy of Morris - life does that to a person.

You need some of everything on every staff - I think we have a good blend. Time will tell~

I think it is Red Bull, not wiring.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Oklahawg

Quote from: twistitup on February 14, 2018, 01:28:13 pm

Fair rebuttal.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

OLEJACKETFAN

I have a Friend from Wisconsin and he claims Bielema was always at the Bar at night! But they didn't care because he won lots of games! I hear some of yall talk about FlipFlops & Shorts. Not sure if yall are joking or what. BUT I can tell you one thing CM is TOTALLY opposite from that!! There wont be any FlipFlops or Bars!!  This man is High Energy and driven!!

rude1

Quote from: ricepig on February 12, 2018, 09:35:22 am
So he should have been running off players who were in good academic shape, but weren't playing?
YES!!!! I am sorry but this is big time college football, if you aren't cutting it on the field, you need to be found a soft landing spot some where else no matter your test scores. Unless you are trying to become the next Vandy in the conference you have to trim the fat of unproductive players. Keeping kids around who aren't productive on the field because they are #uncommon is a good way to get yourself fired and run the program into the ground.

ricepig

Quote from: rude1 on February 14, 2018, 07:44:55 pm
YES!!!! I am sorry but this is big time college football, if you aren't cutting it on the field, you need to be found a soft landing spot some where else no matter your test scores. Unless you are trying to become the next Vandy in the conference you have to trim the fat of unproductive players. Keeping kids around who aren't productive on the field because they are #uncommon is a good way to get yourself fired and run the program into the ground.

So the kid pays for your mistake in evaluation? You can't force them to leave, so it's a moot point anyway.

LZH

Crowe - never mind

Ford - I think FB got on his nerves and he wasn't really excited to get back into coaching.

Nutt - Could whip your ass as long as you guessed wrong on a play or unless he had the hosses.

Petrino - Probably the most disappointing of all. Great coach, big a**hole.

JLS - Poor bastard had a public meltdown.

Bielema - Probably a good guy and a fair coach. But we absolutely couldn't afford to keep getting worse.

Morris - ???

Hog Fan from Camden

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on February 12, 2018, 04:57:34 pm

Insightful comments!

From Tusk Till Dawn

I'm hopeful the new staff puts it all together cause we are due.  Im cautiously optimistic.  As for CBB, I honestly feel Like he would have probably won 8 this year with the schedule.  And I think the money didnt want to risk having a Les Miles situation.   Either way, ready to turn the page.

rtr

A bit of a reach.

Tell the kid getting chewed on by Nick Saban he is not hyper.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

GuvHog

Quote from: LZH on February 14, 2018, 08:23:31 pm
Crowe - never mind

Ford - I think FB got on his nerves and he wasn't really excited to get back into coaching.

Nutt - Could whip your ass as long as you guessed wrong on a play or unless he had the hosses.

Bielema - Probably a good guy and a fair coach. But we absolutely couldn't afford to keep getting worse.

Morris - ???

When the U of A hired Petrino, they didn't care about his personality. He wasn't hired to kiss babies and be "Mr. Personality", He was hired to win and that's what he did. Sometimes to get a really good head coach, one has to take the bad with the good.

Personality wise, Nick Saban is a Class "A" Jerk. Do you think that bothers the Alabama faithful?? No, not the least bit. They care about WINNING.

bphi11ips

Quote from: LZH on February 14, 2018, 08:23:31 pm
Crowe - never mind

Morris - ???

Lucky 7?
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

clutch

A bit of a reach.

I agree except for Les Miles. He's a pretty upbeat guy. I would classify him in that "players coach" category.

Tigaman

Quote from: zeke_in_kc on February 15, 2018, 07:14:44 pm
Nick Saban doesn't destroy multiple programs or organizations.  Bobby has killed three.

Get over it Guv, I was right about the snake from jump.  That said, I was wrong on Bielema.  I thought he'd be significantly more successful.

What 3 programs has he killed? He's only been head coach of three teams. Two of those teams (Arkansas and Louisville) were preseason top 25 when he left. The Atlanta Falcons were only to be horrible that year no matter who was head coach because of Micheal Vick. The coach that replaced him at Western Kentucky went 30-10 and is currently the head coach at Purdue.

GuvHog

Quote from: zeke_in_kc on February 15, 2018, 07:14:44 pm
Nick Saban doesn't destroy multiple programs or organizations.  Bobby has killed three.

Get over it Guv, I was right about the snake from jump.  That said, I was wrong on Bielema.  I thought he'd be significantly more successful.

No, Bobby didn't kill the program. Jeff Long and Smiley did that.

Bielema could have been successful if he had let go of his antiquated big 10 offense and went to a form of the spread.

GuvHog

Quote from: Tigaman on February 15, 2018, 08:03:07 pm
What 3 programs has he killed? He's only been head coach of three teams. Two of those teams (Arkansas and Louisville) were preseason top 25 when he left. The Atlanta Falcons were only to be horrible that year no matter who was head coach because of Micheal Vick. The coach that replaced him at Western Kentucky went 30-10 and is currently the head coach at Purdue.

Louisville won 8 regular season games this year. I would've taken that in a heartbeat.

Hog N Bama

Quote from: clutch on February 15, 2018, 07:27:11 pm
I agree except for Les Miles. He's a pretty upbeat guy. I would classify him in that "players coach" category.
Les Miles is about as upbeat/exciting as a tree stump

It is all about opinions and we all have those.  I didn't want Bret the minute I learned he was the new coach.  I thought we might win mostly 8 per season, sometimes just 6 and maybe once every 10 years 10 wins.  I never dreamed he would be as laid back, off handed as he was.  The Guy looked like on the sideline that he wasn't susposed to be there.  Its as if his best Buddy called him Saturday morning and said he had a Tummy ache and wondered if Bret would fill in for him as the HC because the game needed to go on and he had no one else to ask.  Point is, after enduring Bret for 5 years, I cannot think of anything that I SAW him offer that I liked.  Maybe he was a force in keeping the Kids out of trouble and I am not so sure of that.  I haven't seen anything that I believe he did very well unless it was that.  I hope the recruiting was OK because our current team is depending on that.  It bothers me to hear that locations close to our team were not, in my opinion, properly recruited looking for players, therefore, I now worry that his recruiting was substandard too.  And if it is, you would admit that would be par for the course.

Morris seems to be starting out working hard, giving effort, being sincere and really wanting success and he portrays that to others it seems.  I never felt that way about Bret.

clutch

Quote from: Hog N Bama on February 15, 2018, 08:39:32 pm
Les Miles is about as upbeat/exciting as a tree stump

You ever been around the guy? He's energetic and entertaining. Maybe I was just saw him at good times, but I always came away with the impression that he was an energetic guy. Funny as **LL too.

twistitup

Quote from: clutch on February 16, 2018, 01:55:55 pm
You ever been around the guy? He's energetic and entertaining. Maybe I was just saw him at good times, but I always came away with the impression that he was an energetic guy. Funny as **LL too.

Is he putting on an act when interviewed - or is that really how he is all the time? He's hard to follow when I listen to him speak....

Science Fiction Greg

I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

rude1

Quote from: ricepig on February 14, 2018, 07:51:11 pm
So the kid pays for your mistake in evaluation? You can't force them to leave, so it's a moot point anyway.
Just curious, do you really believe that? I am not saying you throw them out the door and their bags after them, but everyone knows, including the kids, that if the coach wants you gone it is better to cooperate and let him find you a place transfer to.

clutch

Quote from: twistitup on February 16, 2018, 03:34:10 pm
Is he putting on an act when interviewed - or is that really how he is all the time? He's hard to follow when I listen to him speak....

Who knows. I've been around him 2-3 times, and he was a fun guy to talk to. I don't know what he is like when he is around familiar people, but from everything I've heard he is who he is most of the time. So if I had to guess I'd say it's not really an act, but he could have just had me fooled.

ricepig

Quote from: rude1 on February 16, 2018, 05:03:05 pm
Just curious, do you really believe that? I am not saying you throw them out the door and their bags after them, but everyone knows, including the kids, that if the coach wants you gone it is better to cooperate and let him find you a place transfer to.

Sure do, I guess it depends on how much school you have left. If I'm going to graduate in DEC 18 or May 19 and have used my redshirt year and will have two years to play, then yeah, I'm sticking. I'm already buried in the depth chart, so I'll finish school and then grad transfer.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

A bit of a reach.

Morris doesn't seem like a "Rah-Rah" type of guy. He appears to be a "Every Second counts" type of guy who wants every hour in the 24 hour day to be utilized at getting better. He let's us do the "Rah-Rah" stuff, and milks it while he can, but he's all about work and getting better in that locker room and on the practice field...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Hawgphat

One Old Fart's Opinion:

CCM & Co. exhibit every indication of being 100% committed to the task at hand.  They seem to be doing and saying all the right things, making laudable efforts to resurrect our football program to the fullest extent humanly possible.

They also appear to possess the intrinsic knowledge, experience and dedication essential to the accomplishment of the task before them.  If they should prove to be unable to miraculously turn the program around to - say - a nine win season in this upcoming initial outing, I won't interpret that potential (probable?) first season result as an utter failure on the part of this new staff to accomplish what they were hired to accomplish.  Not even a single one of the coaching cadre - including CCM - can go out onto the game field and play even a single down of football personally; they MUST imperatively operate vicariously through the efforts of the available player personnel, - - and ultimately will succeed or falter at the outset of this new regime program on the merits of the quality of play exhibited by the players.

redhogchilipepper

Don't bash Brett to hard. He did leave with one good statement about his little girl always Being a Razorback.

housecat

Bielema is not our current coach...we can't talk about that or I guess any former coach ?

twistitup

Quote from: housecat on February 24, 2018, 04:03:13 pm
Bielema is not our current coach...we can't talk about that or I guess any former coach ?

Yes we can, as long as it's done in the right way

Hawgphat

It is totally unnecessary to "bash" departed head coaches and staffs; but is presumably the prerogative of fans to exercise the option to do so to the extent and in the manner they so choose.  As long as obviously under performing staff members are handed their "walking papers", I don't particularly care what they sing or whistle as they are walking.  As long as they walk somewhere else, that's sufficient gratification for me. 

twistitup

Quote from: Hawgphat on February 24, 2018, 04:29:36 pm
It is totally unnecessary to "bash" departed head coaches and staffs; but is presumably the prerogative of fans to exercise the option to do so to the extent and in the manner they so choose.  As long as obviously under performing staff members are handed their "walking papers", I don't particularly care what they sing or whistle as they are walking.  As long as they walk somewhere else, that's sufficient gratification for me. 

I like to talk a shiite while they are leaving -- especially with the millions he left with, I wish it were just walking papers.

Hawgphat

Quote from: twistitup on February 24, 2018, 04:36:26 pm
I like to talk a shiite while they are leaving -- especially with the millions he left with, I wish it were just walking papers.

I don't fault Bielema for his sweet-deal, Golden Parachute contract buyout; I fault those responsible for framing and offering that lavishly-generous, lengthy contract.  That contractual agreement smacked of naivety bordering on insanity.

CFB_Fanatic

This is true OP. Morris is ALL IN!! He's the Savior of the program and he's here for the long haul! As proof, I heard he went and picked out his retirement home this past week, and next week they are supposed to get his measurements for his future statue to be erected in front of the North End Zone! He aint going nowhere! WOOOO PIG!

Inhogswetrust

February 25, 2018, 07:43:43 am #96 Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 09:53:17 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: GuvHog on February 15, 2018, 06:31:11 am
When the U of A hired Petrino, they didn't care about his personality. He wasn't hired to kiss babies and be "Mr. Personality", He was hired to win and that's what he did. Sometimes to get a really good head coach, one has to take the bad with the good.

Personality wise, Nick Saban is a Class "A" Jerk. Do you think that bothers the Alabama faithful?? No, not the least bit. They care about WINNING.

I've seen videos of Saban when he wasn't doing something related to work. His personality is not as a jerk. He is super intense and focused at work. He isn't a jerk away from it.

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 25, 2018, 07:43:43 am
I've seen videos of Saban when he wasn't doing something related to work. His personality is not as a jerk. He is super intense and focused at work. He isn't a jerk.

Well, unless it was a hidden camera, everything is about work for Nick, it's part of the "process".

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on February 25, 2018, 07:50:38 am
Well, unless it was a hidden camera, everything is about work for Nick, it's part of the "process".

Surely you aren't being facetious.

The "process" is the key to virtually anything worth doing.  Saban isn't the first successful coach to emphasize it.  "Give me the want to, and I'll give you the how to."  The how to is a way of life.  "The process" is what separates the men in the arena from the thousands watching them perform. 

I've never gotten the sense that Saban is a jerk.  Find a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life.  If everything is about work for Nick, it may be because he loves his job. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 25, 2018, 09:17:57 am
Surely you aren't being facetious.

The "process" is the key to virtually anything worth doing.  Saban isn't the first successful coach to emphasize it.  "Give me the want to, and I'll give you the how to."  The how to is a way of life.  "The process" is what separates the men in the arena from the thousands watching them perform. 

I've never gotten the sense that Saban is a jerk.  Find a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life.  If everything is about work for Nick, it may be because he loves his job. 

He is the proverbial workaholic. That being said when away from work he isn't a jerk. The most intense workaholic I've ever known was my Aunt. She was not one you wanted to work for or be around at work. She was a very sweet lady away from work.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi