Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UNC defense

Started by labb, November 25, 2017, 10:33:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

labb

have not seen anything about it but UNC's defense against us was about as good as you will see.

King Kong

They had an excellent game plan for Macon.

Breems

Very good and lengthy halfcourt D.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

hawg66

I thought that was the game changer. The Hogs hadn't seen anything like that this season and they didn't respond to it. I'm betting they'll work hard on getting better movement. They  likely won't see a better team defense this year.

b-ball coach

UNC pressure and help were done correctly and hogs couldn't score in the 1/2 court. Finding a positive in the pile of things to improve on; we only had 9 turnovers. Not strong enough to score other than Barcord, but we didn't hand the ball over against one of the better man 1/2 court pressure teams in the country.

bigred223

Hall did a nice job driving to the hoop in his limited minutes. Perhaps he should get more opportunities in the near future. I think we have to focus on getting the ball inside to Gafford against teams with this kind of length and have him kick out to open shooters. Obviously foul trouble was an issue, but this should have been the game plan. We made it very easy for them in the first half by dribbling around the top of the key and jacking up jumpers.

The Hogfather

Yeah, their 6th, 7th, and 8th men made their defense impenetrable.  Not sure why they had on different uniforms.

gogamer

We fell quickly into their trap.  Once they figured out how to defend us we slowed down, started walking into the front court and stopped sharing the ball with quick decisions.  No instead Beard would cross the half court line ..... stand their and assess the situation, then drive in thru the trees with a half baked plan.  Or he might even stand there until the ref finally blows the whistle and says "that's just too long to stand in one place there son." 

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: labb on November 25, 2017, 10:33:24 am
have not seen anything about it but UNC's defense against us was about as good as you will see.

Yea there defense was smothering.  Making threes would've softened it up though I'm sure.

hawgball40

Our team really needs to work on passing. thats the biggest thing IMO, we aren't fast enough with our passes to get open looks. Then again, that could have been caused by fatigue.

niels_boar

Their defense was very good, but

1) Our three top scorers all missed major chunks of the game.

2)  Let us body up all over the court and have the opponent only shoot 8 FTAs and our defense would be stingier, too.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

The_Iceman

Coach Williams is an excellent defensive coach.

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: niels_boar on November 25, 2017, 01:15:40 pm

2)  Let us body up all over the court and have the opponent only shoot 8 FTAs and our defense would be stingier, too.
I agree with this. Our defense was actually better in the beginning but It seemed as though the refs kind let UNC play a little more aggressive but was a little whistle happy with us. That's why Gafford didn't play aggressive yesterday. They called him for every attempt at defense.

ShadowHawg

This. If you have the game on dvr, watch it again look for what is happening off the ball. UNC was allowed to shove our cutters off their angles making it difficult to get open.

Doing that by moving your feet is perfectly legal but shoving and grabbing are not. It allowed them to get up in the passing lanes much easier than they could otherwise.

alohawg

No doubt, these teams were playing under different rules at the same time. As someone rightly pointed out in the game thread, unc was allowed to play free with reckless abandon without concern for foul calls on defense, while Ark was being getting quick whistles,  refs anticipating and anxious to blow the whistle. Even on out of bounds calls, every damn time a ball went out off a mixed crowd, all refs in unisense, as if choreographed, Carolina ball!
Did the hogs play their best, nope, but it wouldn't have mattered, the fix was in. No way were these aholes gonna allow a fairly called game, too risky.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: b-ball coach on November 25, 2017, 11:10:48 am
UNC pressure and help were done correctly and hogs couldn't score in the 1/2 court. Finding a positive in the pile of things to improve on; we only had 9 turnovers. Not strong enough to score other than Barcord, but we didn't hand the ball over against one of the better man 1/2 court pressure teams in the country.
Ditto this
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

Kevin McPherson

November 25, 2017, 02:10:37 pm #16 Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 02:26:38 pm by Kevin McPherson

This.

Like you and others said, UNC's D was very good, and I'll add that Hog guards' tendancies lately to trust their own 1-on-1 ability has stifled the motion, and that played into the strengths of an already good defensive team and made them look great. Give UNC credit, but I could see this coming after watching Macon, Barford, and even Beard have so much 1-on-1 success against teams like Bucknell and OU = they're SGs, not instinctive facilitator types and certainly not PG-esque ballhandlers.

Arkansas is at its best when it moves the ball, runs O thru the bigs (although that didn't work well yesterday, either), and opens lanes and leverage as a result to drive the ball, pull-up, or off-set for a clean look at 3 ... none of that happened against UNC. One thing I like about CJ Jones being on the floor is that he is an efficient catch-&-shoot guy with range, and we saw that pay off down the stretch to aide that run. If Arkansas will move the ball first, it requires a lot less effort to get good looks for a guy like Jones, and that makes Arkansas's offense that much tougher to defend.

One game early in the season, and I think that test benefits the Hogs down the road as it helps identify issues and opportunities.

niels_boar

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on November 25, 2017, 02:10:37 pm
This.

Like you and others said, UNC's D was very good, and I'll add that Hog guards' tendancies lately to trust their own 1-on-1 ability has stifled the motion, and that played into the strengths of an already good defensive team and made them look great. Give UNC credit, but I could see this coming after watching Macon, Barford, and even Beard have so much 1-on-1 success against teams like Bucknell and OU = they're SGs, not instinctive facilitator types and certainly not PG-esque ballhandlers.

Arkansas is at its best when it moves the ball, runs O thru the bigs (although that didn't work well yesterday, either), and opens lanes and leverage as a result to drive the ball, pull-up, or off-set for a clean look at 3 ... none of that happened against UNC. One thing I like about CJ Jones being on the floor is that he is an efficient catch-&-shoot guy with range, and we saw that pay off down the stretch to aide that run. If Arkansas will move the ball first, it requires a lot less effort to get good looks for a guy like Jones, and that makes Arkansas's offense that much tougher to defend.

One game early in the season, and I think that test benefits the Hogs down the road as it helps identify issues and opportunities.

Our guards did dribble too much on the perimeter.  I noticed on one possession Adrio Bailey drove the baseline and made a nice pass out to the perimeter.  The subsequent swing pass created a wide open look that we knocked down.  Nice hockey assist for Adrio. We needed more of that.  Learning experience.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 25, 2017, 11:35:17 am
Yeah, their 6th, 7th, and 8th men made their defense impenetrable.  Not sure why they had on different uniforms.
beautiful post
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

ChicoHog

Quote from: Breems on November 25, 2017, 10:50:44 am
Very good and lengthy halfcourt D.
I loved it.  They were stifling without fouling.  I would love to see us play that kind of D but we probably don't have the athletic ability of UNC.  That was the difference in the game last year when we could not get a quality shot off. 

ChicoHog

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on November 25, 2017, 02:10:37 pm
This.

Absolutely.  Good post.  We are talented but not talented enough to beat a very talented UNC team with their athletic ability and great defense.  I still think we are pretty good but UNC is next level good. 
If we had a point guard like Trae (forgot his last name) from OU who can really penetrate and dish the ball then we could possibly break down a tough man to man defense. 

hawgball40

Quote from: ChicoHog on November 26, 2017, 05:06:38 pm
Absolutely.  Good post.  We are talented but not talented enough to beat a very talented UNC team with their athletic ability and great defense.  I still think we are pretty good but UNC is next level good. 
If we had a point guard like Trae (forgot his last name) from OU who can really penetrate and dish the ball then we could possibly break down a tough man to man defense.
You mean a guy like New Mexico St transfer Jalen Harris? I can't wait to watch him feed Big Dan next season.

ChicoHog

Quote from: hawgball40 on November 26, 2017, 05:12:09 pm
You mean a guy like New Mexico St transfer Jalen Harris? I can't wait to watch him feed Big Dan next season.
I have not seen him play.  Is a he quick as a rabbit PG?  Great peripheral vision? 

Rome26

We got good looks but couldn't capitalize on enough of them. CJ had at least 3 open three pointers that would have given us major momentum had he made them. It seemed like every time we missed those UNC went on a run.

ChicoHog

Quote from: Rome26 on November 26, 2017, 05:32:34 pm
We got good looks but couldn't capitalize on enough of them. CJ had at least 3 open three pointers that would have given us major momentum had he made them. It seemed like every time we missed those UNC went on a run.
Yes he missed quite a few three's.  Good shots but just did not make them. 

incHOGnito

Quote from: hawg66 on November 25, 2017, 10:56:35 am
I thought that was the game changer. The Hogs hadn't seen anything like that this season and they didn't respond to it. I'm betting they'll work hard on getting better movement. They  likely won't see a better team defense this year.

Florida will be similar.