Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

C/O 2019 Scholarships

Started by hoofer, November 14, 2017, 04:24:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hoofer

How many spots might we have available in 2019?

We obviously had a huge class in 2018. And the 2020 in-state class is LOADED. So what is our outlook for adding bodies to the 2019 class?

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: hoofer on November 14, 2017, 04:24:23 pm
How many spots might we have available in 2019?

We obviously had a huge class in 2018. And the 2020 in-state class is LOADED. So what is our outlook for adding bodies to the 2019 class?

No scholarships available in that class at the moment, but there is a realistic possibility that anywhere from 1-3 spots comes open by this time next year. Not going into specifics on that at this time. Justice Hill is c/o of '19 and is committed to the Hoop Hogs, may re-class and enroll mid-term of the '18-19 season, so something will have to give there to make room. Javon Franklin, Tim Ceaser, and Jahmius Ramsey are 3 more names in c/o '19 that Arkansas has big interest in.

navyhog24

We definitely will need another 2G to replace Khalil if he is unable to come back, so Ramsey would be great to have. Outside of him, I think we'll need another big in case Gafford is gone after next season.

Hawg Red

Must find a way to get Franklin on board.

The_Bionic_Pig

Scholarships are renewed on a yearly basis thus the "numbers working themselves out" quote.

Pay attention (without saying names) which player's Fresh-Juniors are getting very little PT and you'll have your answer.

My prediction: If Gafford doesn't bolt based on potential I can easily forsee (2) spots.  Justice will probably have the option of joining the Football team
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Razorod

Plus, we need Jones' and bailey's scholarships for the '20 class.

Both should continue to get better and contribute more and more each year. With six seniors leaving after this season, plenty of minutes next year.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

hogwood

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on November 15, 2017, 01:02:32 am
Hopefully Jones or Bailey don't leave. Like Jones ability to score and Bailey's tenacity. Both are continuing to get better. Not sure if Gabe would be forced out or not. Coach A seems to like him and always room for a defensive stopper that's long and athletic. I see a lot of improvement from him as well. Ideally, yes, Justice takes a football scholarship and frees one for basketball to use, but if we're being realistic, he probably won't play football. If Garland can't go, and it seems that decision will be made this year, that opens a spot for Franklin. I don't see Gafford leaving after this year. Time is the ultimate truth teller and he could blossom into something special, but I feel as though he'll play through at least SOPH year. Really pulling for Garland. Overall though, I hope Franklin makes it here and Justice enrolls in spring to RS and practice but not play, as I feel it would be a waste.

Would be shocked if either of them transfer or leave. Bailey could start for the next 3 years. Jones could start for 2 in a row.

Not sure how we'll fit everyone in but I think the 2019 class will be another impressive haul with perfect system fits that CMA & Co can get the most out of. Just like the last 3 classes (16-18).

NWAHog479

I am just speculating here, but if Garland redshirts and then for some reason he is able to play next year, wouldn't that have an impact on what Justice decides to do?

Hawg Red

Where is this thought of Justice Hill taking a football scholarship coming from? Do people realize the AD was just fired and the football coach is about to be fired?

Hawg Red

Quote from: NWAHog479 on November 15, 2017, 10:19:43 am
I am just speculating here, but if Garland redshirts and then for some reason he is able to play next year, wouldn't that have an impact on what Justice decides to do?

Yes, potentially. Unless he wants to walk on for a semester.

hogfan98

Wasn't there a really good guard that played with Gafford at El Dorado that went to Juco because of grades?  Is he still on the radar?  For some reason I had it in my head that he was D1 material if not for the grades issue.

navyhog24

Quote from: hogfan98 on November 15, 2017, 03:06:02 pm
Wasn't there a really good guard that played with Gafford at El Dorado that went to Juco because of grades?  Is he still on the radar?  For some reason I had it in my head that he was D1 material if not for the grades issue.

Czar Perry is at Northwestern State in Louisana which is a D1 school. He was a late qualifier. I wish we would have taken a shot at him over Jalen Harris.

Hawg Red

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4278312/czar-perry

Not off to a bad start at NW State. Still not a fan after the Kentucky dream school thing and his dad talking hella crap about Mike after he signed with NW State.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: navyhog24 on November 15, 2017, 03:11:00 pm
Czar Perry is at Northwestern State in Louisana which is a D1 school. He was a late qualifier. I wish we would have taken a shot at him over Jalen Harris.

I wanted to see him be a Hog and I don't know if that would have happened, even if he had qualified sooner. I know, when I saw him play in person, I was sure he would be a high D1 prospect.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on November 14, 2017, 05:31:00 pm

My prediction: If Gafford doesn't bolt based on potential I can easily forsee (2) spots.  Justice will probably have the option of joining the Football team

Really, easily?  I could come up with one, maybe .. this might be the one time when there's just no room... KG, 1? ,  DG... maybe someone from next years class after one year?

JayHog

Quote from: Hawg Red on November 15, 2017, 03:25:03 pm

Not off to a bad start at NW State. Still not a fan after the Kentucky dream school thing and his dad talking hella crap about Mike after he signed with NW State.

And when I watched him in the state championship game, he just comes off as a ball hog.  Doesn't look to pass to anyone else. Just jacks up a million shots a game with an average shooting %. We don't need him, IMO.

azhog10

Quote from: Hawg Red on November 15, 2017, 03:25:03 pm

Solid numbers on a really bad team. They lost by 15 to a D3 school.......

Hawg Red

Quote from: azhog10 on November 16, 2017, 07:43:48 am

Ouch. Did not realize that. Glad NWSU isn't on our schedule this year.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: azhog10 on November 16, 2017, 07:43:48 am

Lost to Texas 105-59

Lost to Le Tourneau 99-84

Lost to SMU 81-35 last night.

Really, really bad team.

niels_boar

Quote from: Razorod on November 15, 2017, 06:25:55 am
Plus, we need Jones' and bailey's scholarships for the '20 class.

Both should continue to get better and contribute more and more each year. With six seniors leaving after this season, plenty of minutes next year.

From what I've seen so far I'm expecting Jones to be our leading scorer next season.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

Pinto

Quote from: navyhog24 on November 15, 2017, 03:11:00 pm

I like Czar a lot and im from El Dorado but he isn't better than Jalen lol

Pumbaa

Quote from: niels_boar on November 16, 2017, 01:21:59 pm
From what I've seen so far I'm expecting Jones to be our leading scorer next season.

I truely expect Gafford to be here one more year. Fingers crossed anyways. And if he develops some stronger post moves on a more consistent basis, look out!

swinesation

I don't see any Fresh-Juniors who look likely to leave because of lack of talent. Maybe Gafford goes to the NBA. Maybe Garland is not able to play. But the lowest man on the totem pole is Gabe, and he seems to be a keeper - super athletic defensive asset with loads of potential.

The weakest player on the team, IMO, is Arlando Cook, and he's a senior.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: swinesation on November 21, 2017, 06:08:04 pm
I don't see any Fresh-Juniors who look likely to leave because of lack of talent. Maybe Gafford goes to the NBA. Maybe Garland is not able to play. But the lowest man on the totem pole is Gabe, and he seems to be a keeper - super athletic defensive asset with loads of potential.

The weakest player on the team, IMO, is Arlando Cook, and he's a senior.

That's my thoughts as well... though you have to over recruit and Mike's staff has recruiting woven in the fabric...