Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Maui Invitational & Legends Classic

Started by Cotton, November 21, 2017, 10:00:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Cotton

November 21, 2017, 10:00:34 am Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 08:06:40 am by Cotton
Getting the basketball itch bad and was watching some of the Maui Invitational last night.

#6 Wichita St was down 18 in the second half to Cal and came back to win. Full court press was fun to watch.

Texas A&M was playing Okie Lite and the announcers said about 3 times how the Aggies are possibly the best team in the SEC this year. They definitely had some guys that could shoot and rebound on the defensive glass. Don't know if I'm ready to say they're better than Kentucky but probably my biggest fear as an opponent since we play them twice in less than a month.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Cotton on November 21, 2017, 10:00:34 am
Getting the basketball itch bad and was watching some of the Maui Invitational last night.

#6 Wichita St was down 18 in the second half to Cal and came back to win. Full court press was fun to watch.

Texas A&M was playing Okie Lite and the announcers said about 3 times how the Aggies are possibly the best team in the SEC this year. They definitely had some guys that could shoot and rebound on the defensive glass. Don't know if I'm ready to say they're better than Kentucky but probably my biggest fear as an opponent since we play them twice in less than a month.

Cal was very shaky with their ball-handling and panicked when pressed. So many bad passes on consecutive possessions. Wichita was very aggressive in attacking the basket in their half court offense. Very solid team.

aTm is better than KY right now and would be my pick for conference champs. Florida is better than KY as well, IMO, and I see it as a two team race right now between Florida and aTm, with Arkansas, Bama and KY fighting it out for third place.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Hawg Red

Kentucky looks awful. No way around it. I'm sure they will improve as the year goes on, but this is not a particularly dangerous UK team. I would feel comfortable placing 3-4 SEC teams above Kentucky right now. I think people are thinking UK is good because they hung around with Kansas, who is also overrated this year. That game was brutal. Not the Kentucky or Kansas we're used to.

HoopS

Load up on Knox. Double team him and make somebody else beat you.

The_Iceman

Texas a&m is winning off of the recruiting classes from 2-3 years ago. Who are the sponsored by? Oh yeah, Adidas.

And who was an assistant coach during that time? Oh yeah, Rick Stansbury.

Bunch of effin CHEATERS!!!

BannerMountainMan

Besides their two big men and Gilder they aren't much
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

HoopS

FineAsSwine

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 21, 2017, 10:45:23 am
Texas a&m is winning off of the recruiting classes from 2-3 years ago. Who are the sponsored by? Oh yeah, Adidas.

Hogs up! Covid down!

hogwood

Now they have 0 commitments for 2018. Stinky.

hogfan98

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on November 21, 2017, 10:53:49 am

Don't need much more than that.

Hawg Red

"Besides their two senior guards and Gafford, they aren't much" could easily be said about Arkansas, no? Think about how silly it sounds to subtract a team's best players and then judge them.

Little Lady Back

This!
#NolanRichardsonCourt

davehog

How did the kid from Arkansas on the Wichita St. team look?  I saw the box score and it looks like he got some production out of his minutes but other than that I don't know anything else. 

Wonder if he could have been a contributor here or not?

Hawg Red

Quote from: davehog on November 21, 2017, 11:53:16 am
How did the kid from Arkansas on the Wichita St. team look?  I saw the box score and it looks like he got some production out of his minutes but other than that I don't know anything else. 

Sure, he could have contributed. But I don't know that he was any better of an option than C.J. Jones as a player and is definitely less of a system fit.

FineAsSwine

Jimmy Whitt and Nick Babb are both looking like players with NBA futures this season.  Either one of them would have a bigger impact here this season than the kid you are talking about.
Hogs up! Covid down!

ShadowHawg

Florida has some serious issues on defense. I haven't seen A&M yet but we are the best defensive team I have seen from the SEC.

So far I have seen Mizzou, Bama, Florida, Kentucky, Georgia, Auburn, South Carolina, and Vandy.

Cotton

Quote from: FineAsSwine on November 21, 2017, 10:12:37 am
Cal was very shaky with their ball-handling and panicked when pressed. So many bad passes on consecutive possessions. Wichita was very aggressive in attacking the basket in their half court offense. Very solid team.

aTm is better than KY right now and would be my pick for conference champs. Florida is better than KY as well, IMO, and I see it as a two team race right now between Florida and aTm, with Arkansas, Bama and KY fighting it out for third place.
Yeah they threw the ball into the corner like 5 times down the stretch. Couldn't handle the pressure. It was fun to watch though. Shows the mark of a good team to come back like that when things weren't going well early.

TAMU definitely looked solid. We always find a way to play good against Florida but I feel like we lay an egg against TAMU once a year.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Cotton

Didn't shine, but worked decently in the system. They play good team ball over there.

I'm sure he could've helped us off the bench but I'd rather have kids fired up to be Hogs.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

hawginbigd1

Imo the eyeball test and on paper aTm is the best in the conference and its not close

SouthTulsaHog

TAMU definitely looked solid. We always find a way to play good against Florida but I feel like we lay an egg against TAMU once a year.
[/quote]

When was the last time we beat Florida?? I feel like in recent memory we haven't been able to figure them out. We haven't won at Florida since '95

Atlhogfan1

Watched a little LSU - Michigan last night.  LSU looks improved and competitive for how low they were picked in the SEC. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 21, 2017, 12:30:20 pm
Watched a little LSU - Michigan last night.  LSU looks improved and competitive for how low they were picked in the SEC.

Well, I guess this is another example of the rising tide lifting all boats. The SEC is gonna be tough this year where even a loss to a last place team isn't an RPI buster.
Hogs up! Covid down!

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Cotton on November 21, 2017, 12:23:23 pm

We would have a better chance to sweep all three games against KY and TAMU if we had two games against KY this year and one game against TAMU in the Bud. TAMU is a good threat to sweep us this year though and that's another reason I see getting a win against KY at home as so important to our overall success in conference.

Hogs up! Covid down!

lynbug

Don't know about that but.....the few times I've watched a few minutes of TAM this year Davis makes me think of King Kong for some reason :D :D

Cotton

Quote from: SouthTulsaHog on November 21, 2017, 12:28:14 pm

When was the last time we beat Florida?? I feel like in recent memory we haven't been able to figure them out. We haven't won at Florida since '95
Last time we beat them was 2012-13 when they were ranked #2.
2013-14 Lost by 2 in OT vs. #10 Florida
2014-15 Lost by 1 @ Florida
2015-16 Lost by 4 @ Florida
2016-17 Lost by 13 @ #12 Florida

Other than last season those are really close games.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Cotton

Quote from: FineAsSwine on November 21, 2017, 01:08:47 pm
We would have a better chance to sweep all three games against KY and TAMU if we had two games against KY this year and one game against TAMU in the Bud. TAMU is a good threat to sweep us this year though and that's another reason I see getting a win against KY at home as so important to our overall success in conference.
Very possible if TAMU turns out to be better than UK this year.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: FineAsSwine on November 21, 2017, 10:12:37 am

I'm not sold on aTm being the champs.  There post play is superior, but they don't have great ball handlers. I think Florida is the best team in the conference. We will finish 2nd and will be 3rd.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on November 21, 2017, 03:26:11 pm
I'm not sold on aTm being the champs.  There post play is superior, but they don't have great ball handlers. I think Florida is the best team in the conference. We will finish 2nd and will be 3rd.
Their 3 new guards appear to be vastly better at handling the ball than last year, Hogg looks improved also.

Cotton

A&M looked solid again last night against Penn St and won the Legends Classic. Definitely got that game circled on my schedule. Hope we can at least split with them.

Notre Dame and Wichita St are playing for the final in Maui tonight. Should be a fun game to watch for a neutral.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

The_Iceman

Quote from: FineAsSwine on November 21, 2017, 12:12:52 pm
Jimmy Whitt and Nick Babb are both looking like players with NBA futures this season.  Either one of them would have a bigger impact here this season than the kid you are talking about.

Whitt and Babb both benefited from a redshirt year to grow and mature. Whitt looks completely different physically. Imagine them both with the Hogs right now:

Babb: 15.6ppg, 7.6rebs, 6.2asts

Whitt: 7.5ppg, 5.8rebs, 6.5asts

I remember people making fun of me when I supported Babb and said losing him would be a big loss. Sad those two are on the court for us right now. What a backcourt that would be.

BannerMountainMan

"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

gmarv

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 22, 2017, 08:14:49 am
Whitt and Babb both benefited from a redshirt year to grow and mature. Whitt looks completely different physically. Imagine them both with the Hogs right now:

I remember people making fun of me when I supported Babb and said losing him would be a big loss. Sad those two are on the court for us right now. What a backcourt that would be.
Would we of went after Barford and Macon if we had kept both of them,how much different would we be if say we had whitt and Babbs instead of Macon and Barford ?

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: gmarv on November 22, 2017, 09:18:29 am
Would we of went after Barford and Macon if we had kept both of them,how much different would we be if say we had whitt and Babbs instead of Macon and Barford ?
not even close to where we are now

The_Iceman

Quote from: gmarv on November 22, 2017, 09:18:29 am

Macon? For sure. Barford? Probably. They guy we probably wouldn't have right now is CJ Jones.

mhuff

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 22, 2017, 08:14:49 am

I supported Babb because he was the only one that would stay in front of his man and stop them from driving the lanes to the basket. The rest were  playing bullfighter defense. Ole