Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Portis or Gafford

Started by HAM ELLIOT, November 19, 2017, 09:28:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HAM ELLIOT

Who do you think is the best of the two at this stage of their career?

Temprees

Quote from: HAM ELLIOT on November 19, 2017, 09:28:21 pm
Who do you think is the best of the two at this stage of their career?
Gafford!!!!!  But, I see Gafford's game as a 5, and Portis' as a 4.

mhuff

Quote from: Temprees on November 19, 2017, 09:31:16 pm
Gafford!!!!!  But, I see Gafford's game as a 5, and Portis' as a 4.

BannerMountainMan

Gafford down low, Portis is better anywhere else by far
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

incHOGnito

Gafford has the ability to completely take over a game without scoring s point. That was not Bobby's game. Gafford very well could be a lottery pick by the end of the season. He is a generational-type player for most programs not named Kentucky or Duke.

hawgdavis

Quote from: incHOGnito on November 19, 2017, 09:50:31 pm
Gafford has the ability to completely take over a game without scoring s point. That was not Bobby's game. Gafford very well could be a lottery pick by the end of the season. He is a generational-type player for most programs not named Kentucky or Duke.

Hope he sticks around for a couple years but if he is a lottery pick he has to go and I would think he does. Lottery pick money is a life and generational changer.

sage_dragoon

been awhile since I've seen a big man (bobby included) go for the dunk like gafford.
XBox360 - SageDragoon79

old_school_hawg

"I tried being reasonable. I didn't like it."-Clint Eastwood

"Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Smithian

The expectation level for Gafford is getting way above where it reasonably should be.

HogFoo

At this point in career.  Gafford is pretty far ahead.  He is a beast.  I knew the kid was good, but I had no idea he was gonna be a beast.  He plays angry.  He reminds me of Kenyan Martin when he played at Cincy, I still think had Martin not broke his leg that year in the tourney, they would have played for a title.  But he played very angry dunk ball on everyone and swatted everything away.  That's who Gafford reminds me of only taller, quicker, better hops!  The added weight Gafford put on over summer was exactly what he needed.  I only hope that Henderson and Joe put on the same kind of weight before they play their first game too.  But  in today game it doesn't matter as much.  But, my goodness it sure gives Gafford some added confidence.    If gafford could develop any kind of midrange shot, he could be a top 5 pick, hell, maybe even the #1, but he'd have to be here probably 2yrs.  If he continues to improve and just be an absolute beast like he was against fresno, he's definitely gonna be a lotto pick.  But he'll have to play beastly against the "name" schools tho.  And I think he will. HIS motor doesn't stop. 

Yes, I'd love to get 2yrs outta Gafford.  I was predicting more next season being a final four team.  But, man alive this team is pretty good.  If Thomas and cook and Lord willing, garland is able to come in soon and play, our depth will be deep!  It'll definitely remind me of how deep our NC team was.  I heard Thomas had looked like a totally different player during summer so I'm anxious to see him..    also, garland was supposed to be the better of the two between Hall and himself I thought.  So, it would be totally awesome if he was able to play, and I was expecting Cook to have that 2nd yr comeback strong story after being kind of mediocre last season.  I figured he'd be leaps and bounds better.  It'll be just great having Thomas and Cook, but if Garland can get cleared, I'll say it, this team is gonna make a deep run into the big dance!  Watch and see!  Good times are here baby!   

I want to see Gafford destroy some Okie homo squad and I want to see him just play dunkball on any and everyone UNC has.  Portis wasn't able to beat UNC, but I believe Gafford will!  Can't wait!
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

Hogs49ers

Quote from: HogFoo on November 19, 2017, 11:05:32 pm
also, garland was supposed to be the better of the two between Hall and himself I thought.  So, it would be totally awesome if he was able to play, and I was expecting

Yes Garland was a higher rated player than Hall, but I honestly do not think he would get that much playing time this year anyhow.  We needed Hall to contribute more right away at that position he plays than Garland IMO.  Do not get me wrong, I would love to have Garland out there and I have high expectations for when he does play.
SCREW Vandy!

Rawker

GAFFORD.  GAFFORD.  GAFFORD.  Look, I'm not going to say he's more valuable than BigO at this stage, but from what I've seen so far, we have never....EVER....had a player like Gafford at this point.  Portis and Kingsley both could have possibly dreamed of playing defense and getting down the floor as fast as Gafford, but would only dream of it.  Small guards would often knock Portis off the block as a FR, as a matter of fact.  Portis as a FR was nowhere near Gafford defensively, and Gafford has already shown most of the basic technical post moves that, when Portis and Kingsley played, you wondered why they couldn't find a way to use more of those when the opportunity presented itself.  They rarely did and preferred to step back for jumpers instead, which was thankfully often successful, but insufficient.  Before you go defending Kingsley on his blocking ability, which - don't get me wrong - I appreciated, go back and notice that many of his blocks were made after he had lumbered down court and just arrived on the scene defensively, and an opponent had gone up for a shot after some development, meaning that Kingsley was blocking shots from BEHIND the player.  Gafford is down the court before EVERYBODY, not just the bigs.  He often beats the guards down there, and he blocks shots from his established low post position.  Mind you, I'm not some long-time Gafford fan boy.  Like everyone, I was just hoping he would contribute.  I'm going on the first 3 games.....and I say we've never had anyone like him.  I will add that if he keeps this up, he's one and done.   

BadHog

To the OP - have you been watching these games? I know Friday night was not televised but Gafford put on a dunk show. I was at the game and he was lighting it up.
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

Rawker

Quote from: BadHog on November 19, 2017, 11:47:22 pm
To the OP - have you been watching these games? I know Friday night was not televised but Gafford put on a dunk show. I was at the game and he was lighting it up.

Agreed.  I know I wrote some long version of this, but shouldn't have had to.  There's no comparison.

Temprees

Keep in mind that the OP referred to the best of the two "at this stage" of their career.  So we are talking about 3 games in.  Again, it's Gafford by a lot.

hview

In all my years I've never seen a big man play on the level he has in his first 3 games as a Freshman. I have no reason, but to expect the same intensity he's shown to continue in future games.  If we get past the battle with OK, and that's going to be a tall hill to climb, it's going to be a war against NC. I have no doubt Gafford will play great, but he just needs to stay out of foul trouble. Teams are going to realize quickly that they need to get him off the court if they want to win. He's a beast, surrounded by a talented group of players.

gmarv

I hope we can (selfishly) keep Gafford for two years but if he is a lottery pick this year.It is gonna be a h#@lluva year for us.

The_Bionic_Pig

November 20, 2017, 07:58:09 am #17 Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 08:19:56 am by The_Bionic_Pig
Portis could stretch the floor and take you off the dribble hit a step back fall away jumper as a 6'10 Freshmen.

He would have STARTED at Kentucky!!!

I would say Gafford is a more polished Willie Cauley-Stein at this point.

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

The_Iceman

At this point? Gafford has played 3 games.

LRrazorback

I think gafford is on pace to be the give the greatest contribution as a freshman since probably Joe Johnson, who was a huge contributor during his half season

FineAsSwine

Considering just the first three games, it's Gafford all day everyday.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Temprees

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on November 20, 2017, 07:58:09 am
Portis could stretch the floor and take you off the dribble hit a step back fall away jumper as a 6'10 Freshmen.

We are talking about 3 games in. Not the whole freshman season.

Who is our Coach?

Portis was much more skilled than Gafford at this point in their careers.  Gafford is just far more athletic.

Grumpypenguin

Gafford can rebound which gives him the edge

daprospecta

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on November 20, 2017, 07:58:09 am

I love Gafford's game but I was at the game Portis's freshman year against Alabama. He had more points than the entire team and completely took over the game.  Gafford is a legit 5 and he can certainly change a game but Portis could hurt you from all over the court. With that being said, I believe Gafford has a higher ceiling at his position. 

daprospecta

Quote from: Who is our Coach? on November 20, 2017, 11:01:13 am
Portis was much more skilled than Gafford at this point in their careers.  Gafford is just far more athletic.
This pretty much sums it up. People forget how many times Portis would get a rebound and take it coast to coast and dunk. Portis could shoot, dribble and play defense(when he wanted to).

phadedhawg

Gafford hasn't played anyone who can make him change his game.  We will see how he responds.

HogBreath

Quote from: sage_dragoon on November 19, 2017, 10:22:46 pm
been awhile since I've seen a big man (bobby included) go for the dunk like gafford.

Yep, Gafford much more explosive and athletic.  Now make no mistake, Portis was and is a great player, but we've never had a guy like Gafford.  Most teams haven't either.  He's that good.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Dirty

Quote from: LRrazorback on November 20, 2017, 08:44:41 am
I think gafford is on pace to be the give the greatest contribution as a freshman since probably Joe Johnson, who was a huge contributor during his half season

Did Joe play the first half of his freshmen year?

phadedhawg

If he keeps it up we will have him for one season. 

daprospecta

Quote from: Dirty on November 20, 2017, 11:40:22 am
Did Joe play the first half of his freshmen year?
Second half because I don't think he qualified.

010HogFan

Quote from: Smithian on November 19, 2017, 10:58:42 pm
The expectation level for Gafford is getting way above where it reasonably should be.

not really. he is a freak so I expect freak things.

FineAsSwine

The knock on him before the season was that he wouldn't contribute much, in terms of scoring, until he developed his game on offense. Just wait until he learns how to score, he may end up going off for 40-15-10 one night.
Hogs up! Covid down!

sickboy

Concur.

Smithian

Quote from: phadedhawg on November 20, 2017, 11:31:20 am
Gafford hasn't played anyone who can make him change his game.  We will see how he responds.
Exactly. He's a freshman. Let's see how responds to getting bullied a few times versus Oklahoma and other top teams. If he plays like an alpha male versus the PK80 field then I'll be ready to declare him better than Portis.

Until then I'll say he has the look of a really good freshman but tearing up Fresno State is not the same as being a lottery pick.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Smithian on November 20, 2017, 12:23:55 pm
Exactly. He's a freshman. Let's see how responds to getting bullied a few times versus Oklahoma and other top teams. If he plays like an alpha male versus the PK80 field then I'll be ready to declare him better than Portis.

Until then I'll say he has the look of a really good freshman but tearing up Fresno State is not the same as being a lottery pick.

True but I think most people have been qualifying their lottery pick Expectations by saying that this is possible if he keeps playing at this level against all levels of competition.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Temprees

Quote from: daprospecta on November 20, 2017, 11:06:19 am
I love Gafford's game but I was at the game Portis's freshman year against Alabama. He had more points than the entire team and completely took over the game.  Gafford is a legit 5 and he can certainly change a game but Portis could hurt you from all over the court. With that being said, I believe Gafford has a higher ceiling at his position. 
You do realize that we didn't play Alabama within the first 3 games of Portis' freshman year.

Kevin McPherson

Two different kinds of players coming into the program under much different circumstances, so comparisons not really apples to apples ...

* Portis started every game of his career, was All SEC 2nd team as a freshman, then SEC POY and 2nd-team AA in his sophomore/final season as a Hog, late 1st-round NBA draft pick. He came in on a team with less-than-SEC-caliber veteran leftovers plus newcomers and unknowns in a program trying to rise from the ashes of Pel, so he was counted on very early to be the man. He was a face-up 4 who improved his back-to-the-basket game as a sophomore; hard worker who was determined to improve; ran the floor well (based more on desire/hustle, not so much athletic gifts); was not a leaper or a banger, but was a good rebounder nonetheless; average defender; one of the best offensive players in college basketball, not just the SEC.

* Gafford is an interior player (a 5) with freaskish athletic gifts who hasn't started a game yet (only 3 games in) but at minimum will have a starter-esque, meaningful role on a team w/6 seniors who have been a huge part of making Arkansas the 2nd-most successful SEC program next to Kentucky over the past 3 seasons; Dan plays with an edge/attitude; better defender but not as good offensively as Portis, although that is more about skill and not necessarily production (the point being, Gafford can score in volume, too, because of how active he is around the basket combined with his combo of size/length/athleticism); Gafford will eventually project as a higher draft choice, and though that does not necessarily mean he'll be a better pro, long term his ceiling is higher.

SouthTulsaHog

I feel like Gafford could be this year's Robert Williams (from A&M).

Both of them were top-50 recruits coming out of high school, but weren't really on the NBA draft scouts radar. Williams used good early season performances to get noticed and ultimately would've been a first round pick if he had chosen to leave last year. I feel like Gafford can work his way up similarly. Especially at the PK80 tournament. The better our team performs the more exposure we will be sure to get. Hopefully Gafford, like Williams, if in that spot chosen to return for his second season as well.

I know there is a long way to go before we get to that point.

WPS

cableguy

Quote from: Smithian on November 19, 2017, 10:58:42 pm
Right. They must not had watch any other basketball games. He is no where near a lottery pick at this point.

cableguy

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on November 20, 2017, 01:28:19 pm
Two different kinds of players coming into the program under much different circumstances, so comparisons not really apples to apples ...

* Portis started every game of his career, was All SEC 2nd team as a freshman, then SEC POY and 2nd-team AA in his sophomore/final season as a Hog, late 1st-round NBA draft pick. He came in on a team with less-than-SEC-caliber veteran leftovers plus newcomers and unknowns in a program trying to rise from the ashes of Pel, so he was counted on very early to be the man. He was a face-up 4 who improved his back-to-the-basket game as a sophomore; hard worker who was determined to improve; ran the floor well (based more on desire/hustle, not so much athletic gifts); was not a leaper or a banger, but was a good rebounder nonetheless; average defender; one of the best offensive players in college basketball, not just the SEC.

* Gafford is an interior player (a 5) with freaskish athletic gifts who hasn't started a game yet (only 3 games in) but at minimum will have a starter-esque, meaningful role on a team w/6 seniors who have been a huge part of making Arkansas the 2nd-most successful SEC program next to Kentucky over the past 3 seasons; Dan plays with an edge/attitude; better defender but not as good offensively as Portis, although that is more about skill and not necessarily production (the point being, Gafford can score in volume, too, because of how active he is around the basket combined with his combo of size/length/athleticism); Gafford will eventually project as a higher draft choice, and though that does not necessarily mean he'll be a better pro, long term his ceiling is higher.

I 100% agree with the assessment of both players. Let me see how Gafford performs against players his on size before making him the 8th Wonder of the World. 

HouSwine

Gafford played with a Todd Day length and attitude making Sidney Moncrief looking dunks.
Granted it was against a weak opponent.

razorback1829

Quote from: cableguy on November 20, 2017, 04:07:09 pm
I 100% agree with the assessment of both players. Let me see how Gafford performs against players his on size before making him the 8th Wonder of the World.

I think he'll probably jump just as high, run and play harder than any big man we play. I expect that to continue. He still is a althletic freak of nature who will only get better.

PorkRinds

I could buy that.

Hogs49ers

Quote from: cableguy on November 20, 2017, 04:07:09 pm

I get a little confused when people keep saying this about how they will wait and see how he performs against SEC teams or players his size - the guy he went up against that played for Fresno State was an extremely solid player who has great size and athleticism as well in my opinion.  I do agree he will have some tough, off games like any true freshman and that we should not just go ahead and crown him the greatest Razorback of all time.
SCREW Vandy!

cableguy

Quote from: razorback1829 on November 20, 2017, 04:55:54 pm
I think he'll probably jump just as high, run and play harder than any big man we play. I expect that to continue. He still is a althletic freak of nature.

I watch the Kentucky, Kansas Michigan State and Duke games and those teams have players with similar abilities and height. If Gafford averages 12 points and 8 boards, I will be ecstatic with that. I don't won't fans feeling like he should be get a double double each game.

navyhog24

I'd like to see how he does against Tyler Davis and Robert Williams from aTm. He will get to go agiainst plenty of quality big men in this conference.

By the way, how is Gafford's right cross?

hoglady

Gafford has more natural athletic ability.

Hopefully he will work as hard as Portis did and still does.
Sky is the limit for Gafford if he works hard to improve his game.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

HAM ELLIOT

Quote from: BadHog on November 19, 2017, 11:47:22 pm
So far, Ive had to work during every game so far. I did manage to watch some on my phone as best as I could.   However, this post wasnt meant for my opinion, I wanted to know what everyone else thought.

AugustaHog

Quote from: navyhog24 on November 20, 2017, 05:43:03 pm
I'd like to see how he does against Tyler Davis and Robert Williams from aTm. He will get to go agiainst plenty of quality big men in this conference.

By the way, how is Gafford's right cross?
This will be his true test.  TAMU has some very good bigs.  If he holds his own in that game, it will open some scouts' eyes for sure.