Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bret & Jen (I hope they read this)

Started by Steef, September 17, 2017, 11:20:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Steef

There's a lot of anger towards our coaching staff in the fanbase right now. And whether or not you think it's deserved, it has taken... and for the most part always been... nasty.

Whatever you think of Bret Bielema's coaching, this guy is a decent man. He may not have built our team into a powerhouse, but he's treated the players right, he's treated the fans right, and he's treated the State right.

In general, the University and State have reciprocated. He's been dealt with professionally and fairly.

But a lot of the fanbase is classless.
Observing his weight... has nothing to do with football. It's just mean and small.
Comments about his attire... have nothing to do with football. Ditto.
Snide misuse of his name... has nothing to do with football. And stupid. There's far more intelligent (and less lemming-like) ways to insult someone.
And yes, we all know he's well paid.

Unsavory remarks about his wife... well, you get it. Yes, she's pretty. Get over it.

Meantime, Jen started her time here as a new but classy Head Cheerleader, until the fanbase leered her down. She has never been ANYTHING towards us... but a Lady.

It needs to be said: The Bielema's... have been FAR classier... than the fans they've served.

Unless something really wonderful occurs, they will no doubt be looking for a new venue soon. And their memories of Hog fans will be just another embarrassment for us.

It sure looks like Atlanta belongs to Nick for as long as he wants it. It also looks like Bret won't be challenging that any time soon. But he doesn't deserve the personal attacks he's endured.

Stay classy, Hogville.

NorCalRazorback

I for one am critical as heck about Brets coaching.   I don't think he knows how to get it done in the SEC.   That said, I do agree with everything you said here.   He is a good guy (as far as I can tell) and I know he cares a lot about winning (who doesn't), and he has kept us clean from impropriety.   It's very real and hard for people to understand this point - ITS ALL ABOUT WINS AND LOSSES.   Great guy and agree with all you said about he and his wife, and I hope the best for them... I just want to see a change in style and the bottom line.
"...and Decori Birmingham has caught it in the back of the end zone to tie it at 20 all with 9 seconds left..." 

Miracle on Markham '02
Arkansas 21 LSU 20

jst01

You are right. My complaints have never gone beyond the production or lack of on the field. The social media lifestyle in today's world and the anonymous way people get to express themselves has really made things ugly, not only in sports.

rhames

While j agree with not getting personal how has the fanbase "lerred"  Jen down?

I'm pretty sure she has been absent because of the new born.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Steef on September 17, 2017, 11:20:51 am
Stay classy, Hogville.

Might as well try for world peace while you're at it.  ;)
Hogs up! Covid down!

hobhog

The players are hearing the hate and meanness too apparently. Some have said they are off Twitter and social media due to clown's comments and nastiness.

Sad.

lakecityhog

Steef, If I found out that BB was spending ANY time on Hogville I would probably explode!
He should be spending his time working on our weak spots. Same for the players and assistant coaches!

I do agree with you and got railroaded because I said that some of our posts make us look like ignorant hillbillies! If you want to complain about style, un-prepared play or anything along those lines that should be fair game. Personal insults and such is plain childish!

snoblind

Yeah, too bad management doesn't something about it.   

Something telling about our fan base...  I went to high school with the mother in-law of a certain coach who is getting named in many of the coaching threads.  Her comment when I told her about him being mentioned?  "oh great, we will have to go into hiding if they come here." 

LR_Matt

He and Mike Anderson are great guys.... they don't win much though.

Steef

If all you guys can say is some version of...

"He's not winning football games"...

There's literally dozens of threads to do that in. Go post in one of them.

Steef

Quote from: snoblind on September 17, 2017, 11:39:40 am

If we delete/move every post that attacks Bret, there wouldn't be much left in MMQB right now.

GunnerHawg70

There's a lot of anger towards our coaching staff in the fanbase right now. And whether or not you think it's deserved, it has taken... and for the most part always been... nasty.

Whatever you think of Bret Bielema's coaching, this guy is a decent man. He may not have built our team into a powerhouse, but he's treated the players right, he's treated the fans right, and he's treated the State right.

In general, the University and State have reciprocated. He's been dealt with professionally and fairly.

Observing his weight... has nothing to do with football. It's just mean and small.
Snide misuse of his name... has nothing to do with football. And stupid. There's far more intelligent (and less lemming-like) ways to insult someone.

Unsavory remarks about his wife... well, you get it. Yes, she's pretty. Get over it.

Meantime, Jen started her time here as a new but classy Head Cheerleader, until the fanbase leered her down. She has never been ANYTHING towards us... but a Lady.

It needs to be said: The Bielema's... have been FAR classier... than the fans they've served.

Unless something really wonderful occurs, they will no doubt be looking for a new venue soon. And their memories of Hog fans will be just another embarrassment for us.

It sure looks like Atlanta belongs to Nick for as long as he wants it. It also looks like Bret won't be challenging that any time soon. But he doesn't deserve the personal attacks he's endured.

Stay classy, Hogville.

Great post but sir you have wasted very great writing to fall on deaf ears because I just read some replies and new posts...people are still keyboard shaming like it's a paying job...shame

GunnerHawg70

Steef

Quote from: Steef on September 17, 2017, 11:44:10 am

codeHog

comes with the profession......even down to the peewee level.

Don't need to be tacky to say the coach can not get it done but how the coach acts can have something to do with the fans reaction.
If he is standing there drawing millions of dollars and showing little signs of stopping  our program from crashing and burning....then folks are going to scream and complain.

Steef

Quote from: codeHog on September 17, 2017, 11:55:28 am
comes with the profession......even down to the peewee level.

Don't need to be tacky to say the coach can not get it done but how the coach acts can have something to do with the fans reaction.
If he is standing there drawing millions of dollars and showing little signs of stopping  our program from crashing and burning....then folks are going to scream and complain.

There's a difference between 'scream and complain' about the job he's doing....and insulting him personally.

Something Hogville never learns.

rude1

Welcome to the real world, this is standard mode of operation all around college football. I always find it unfair that Hog fans are labeled as "over the top", when if you just visit other sites when things aren't going as hoped and you will see that our fans is no worse than any other fan base in college football, fans want to see wins and when that doesn't happen some will deal with it much more harshly than others.

snoblind

Quote from: Steef on September 17, 2017, 11:45:16 am
If we delete/move every post that attacks Bret, there wouldn't be much left in MMQB right now.

:)  Wouldn't bother me.  At least it would be readable.

Nothing wrong with being upset or being critical.  Not being able to make one's point without the insults says more about the poster than the coach or the problem.

I came to the conclusion that it isn't working some time back.

hobhog

Quote from: lakecityhog on September 17, 2017, 11:38:05 am
Steef, If I found out that BB was spending ANY time on Hogville I would probably explode!
He should be spending his time working on our weak spots. Same for the players and assistant coaches!

I do agree with you and got railroaded because I said that some of our posts make us look like ignorant hillbillies! If you want to complain about style, un-prepared play or anything along those lines that should be fair game. Personal insults and such is plain childish!

He's not on Hogville and could care less. But the emails/tweets and childlike name calling is sad reflection of today's world we are in.

Steef

Quote from: rude1 on September 17, 2017, 12:00:02 pm
Welcome to the real world, this is standard mode of operation all around college football. I always find it unfair that Hog fans are labeled as "over the top", when if you just visit other sites when things aren't going as hoped and you will see that our fans is no worse than any other fan base in college football, fans want to see wins and when that doesn't happen some will deal with it much more harshly than others.

You're right. Most fanbases are pretty much the same. Some message boards are worse than others. Some better.

But people are people.

Thing is... I don't post or frequent those other boards. I pretty much live here. So Hogville is what I comment about.

Steef

Quote from: snoblind on September 17, 2017, 12:01:26 pm
:)  Wouldn't bother me.  At least it would be readable.

Simple math.

Only a few mods. Thousands of posts.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Steef on September 17, 2017, 11:57:19 am
There's a difference between 'scream and complain' about the job he's doing....and insulting him personally.

Something Hogville never learns.

May not be exclusive to our fan base to go after wives, kids, dead children but we do it.  When a family inserts themselves such as the Nutts did then it opens it up a little more.  The way we have gone scorched earth though on other failing coaches and their families has been atrocious and unnecessary.  It's just business and should remain that way.  Some just can't help themselves because they build a personal affection for certain coaches and hatred for others.  They believe the ends justify all of their actions and comments. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Steef

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on September 17, 2017, 12:06:13 pm
May not be exclusive to our fan base to go after wives, kids, dead children but we do it.  When a family inserts themselves such as the Nutts did then it opens it up a little more.  The way we have gone scorched earth though on other failing coaches and their families has been atrocious and unnecessary.  It's just business and should remain that way.  Some just can't help themselves because they build a personal affection for certain coaches and hatred for others.  They believe the ends justify all of their actions and comments.

Good post.

Hoggie17

That's good that he has those characteristics, but they don't win ball games and that's what he was hired to do.

Steef

Quote from: Hoggie17 on September 17, 2017, 12:11:21 pm
That's good that he has those characteristics, but they don't win ball games and that's what he was hired to do.

Birminghog

Quote from: lakecityhog on September 17, 2017, 11:38:05 am

Thank you, Lake & Steef, for trying to bring some much-needed decorum to MMQB. I have considered doing so, but you have done a much better job than would I. Someone in another thread mentioned EI. One of,the things that makes EI so enjoyable is that a lid is kept on the vitriol, and the posters seem to respect that. I hope your counsel doesn't fall on deaf ears & that MMQB can become such a place.

Not that it makes it any better or that misery loves company, but I have lived in Alabama through some of Bama's & Auburn's down years, and while I am not a part of a board of either of those teams, I quit listening to local sports call-in radio because of the ignorance of much of the calls.

We're better than this. Let's care deeply, let's be disappointed when we don't suceed, let's even be angry when it is warranted, but let's keep our commentary to the point.

rickfahr

I think this is the PERFECT thread to say this: I have no issue with Bielema or his wife as people. I don't know him personally, so I don't know what's in his heart, but he has kept the program clean, and that's a good thing.

But, and this is the biggest but to me -- winning football games is what I want him to do, and he's not done it and isn't doing it now. So, I'm ready for him to go be a great person somewhere else.

And, you might notice one difference with my posts -- I put my name on them. I don't hide behind an online moniker.

forrest city joe

Quote from: LR_Matt on September 17, 2017, 11:41:58 am
He and Mike Anderson are great guys.... they don't win much though.
Wrong.Mike Anderson wins a lot. i agree that both are good men. and i agree that there is no need for name calling.

Steef

Quote from: rickfahr on September 17, 2017, 12:25:05 pm
I think this is the PERFECT thread to say this: I have no issue with Bielema or his wife as people. I don't know him personally, so I don't know what's in his heart, but he has kept the program clean, and that's a good thing.

But, and this is the biggest but to me -- winning football games is what I want him to do, and he's not done it and isn't doing it now. So, I'm ready for him to go be a great person somewhere else.

And, you might notice one difference with my posts -- I put my name on them. I don't hide behind an online moniker.

LOL

So... you quote me about not discussing 'winning football games'... in order to excuse yourself for talking about 'not winning football games'.

Here's a little bit of wisdom....everyone here already KNOWS...we're not winning a lot of football games.

But it's nice I guess, that you've attached your name to the beating of that horse.

007 License To Squeal

Why don't you just send them a letter?  Actually, you wanted US to read your post.
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

Steef

Guys,

I have absolutely NO problem removing posts in this thread.

I just removed one that called Bret a name. In a thread about not calling him names.

Some of you are just UNBELIEVABLY tacky.

Steef

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on September 17, 2017, 12:31:11 pm
Why don't you just send them a letter?  Actually, you wanted US to read your post.

Both.

Ya got me.

edit.... I don't actually have their address. Although I probably could get it. Or at least, give the letter to someone who could forward it.

Dont' know them personally.

3kgthog

The majority of the fanbase treat the Bielemas better than they treat their own neighbor. Hogville, radio callers, and social media nitwits aren't the majority. That's a fact.

You can't have this thread without it being about winning football games. That's why the anger that you are complaining about exists. It's the only reason. If we were 2-0 right now and had finished last season, you'd have nothing to say and no moral crusade to go on. Why? Because we'd be winning football games and the fans you're upset with would be Kool and the Gang.

KennyForAD

Stay classy, Hogville.

He gets paid over 3 million dollars a year.  He'd be the first to tell you that the things you complain of are just the nature of the business.  OU fans slammed Switzer, winningest coach ever, after two 3 loss seasons.  Hog fans are awesome and continue to wildly support our team, when most fan bases would have quit years ago.  Hog fans have suffered ridiculous nonsense for decades.  You are WRONG.  Dead wrong.  Hog fans are awesome.   3.5 million a year and sadly in year five he has plainly failed.  He knows he failed.  Just how it is.

waphill

My dad was a HS football coach for 40+ years. He always said as a coach you lose a number of fans every year, and you NEVER get them back. Obviously some coaches lose them faster than others. BB has lost a chunk of the fan base that he'll never get back.

Dr. Starcs

Oh good grief. Steef, I have to disagree with you here. The leader of the free world makes $1 a year and gets called way worse than overweight or sloppy.

I doubt anyone here would mind name calling if they were making what CBB makes a year.

And for the record, I've never made personal attacks at him or his wife and never will.

The fans are the ones getting screwed in all this. Pouring millions of dollars into a mediocre product. Although I can't take up for them too much. Hitting the u of a in their wallets would being to start a change.

007 License To Squeal

Winning cures all ills in football....
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

Steef

Quote from: 3kgthog on September 17, 2017, 12:34:19 pm
The majority of the fanbase treat the Bielemas better than they treat their own neighbor. Hogville, radio callers, and social media nitwits aren't the majority. That's a fact.

You can't have this thread without it being about winning football games. That's why the anger that you are complaining about exists. It's the only reason. If we were 2-0 right now and had finished last season, you'd have nothing to say and no moral crusade to go on. Why? Because we'd be winning football games and the fans you're upset with would be Kool and the Gang.

I'm going to leave this one, because of the bolded part.

Because it's not true. You might THINK it's true, but you're wrong.

Our fanbase has been calling him B E R T and B U R T. Since he got here. They've been dissing him about his weight since he got here. They've commented about his clothing and his 'hot wife' since he got here.

Even in his third year (his best) when he was obviously making progress.

So much, that Lanny had Doug put in filters to catch a lot of it.

The nastiness was never JUST about winning. It's about fighting for the right to be nasty.

It's already been mentioned in this thread, but name calling is a dumb way to insult someone. You might as well wear a sign that says, "I'm truly stupid!"

It's also just incredibly repetitive. Do you really think ANYONE on this board DOESN'T know that we're not winning right now?

Don't bother to answer. Either you're already aware of that truth... or you're wearing your sign.

Hogdomer

Quote from: snoblind on September 17, 2017, 11:39:40 am

Something telling about our fan base...  I went to high school with the mother in-law of a certain coach who is getting named in many of the coaching threads.  Her comment when I told her about him being mentioned?  "oh great, we will have to go into hiding if they come here." 

Tell her Mike will hear the same or maybe much worse at any big school.  It's not unique to us and he will be making 4 million a year!

Steef

Quote from: KennyForAD on September 17, 2017, 12:35:04 pm
He gets paid over 3 million dollars a year.

We know.

Quote from: KennyForAD on September 17, 2017, 12:35:04 pm

He'd be the first to tell you that the things you complain of are just the nature of the business. 

Never said you couldn't or shouldn't. Obviously, you missed the point of my OP.

Although I did say you shouldn't in THIS thread, because there's plenty of other threads (including the new one you just started) that already do that.

Steef

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on September 17, 2017, 12:41:16 pm
Oh good grief. Steef, I have to disagree with you here. The leader of the free world makes $1 a year and gets called way worse than overweight or sloppy.

I doubt anyone here would mind name calling if they were making what CBB makes a year.

And for the record, I've never made personal attacks at him or his wife and never will.

The fans are the ones getting screwed in all this. Pouring millions of dollars into a mediocre product. Although I can't take up for them too much. Hitting the u of a in their wallets would being to start a change.

You're fighting for the right of tacky people to be tacky.

AirWarren

Stay classy, Hogville.

May be the best post ever on hogville.

*applause.

Steef

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on September 17, 2017, 12:42:07 pm
Winning cures all ills in football....

I've been a mod here for years. I've seen enough to know, this is not true.

Steef

Quote from: waphill on September 17, 2017, 12:39:47 pm
My dad was a HS football coach for 40+ years. He always said as a coach you lose a number of fans every year, and you NEVER get them back. Obviously some coaches lose them faster than others. BB has lost a chunk of the fan base that he'll never get back.

I'm certain this IS true. I'm certain he knows that.

It just isn't necessary to call him names in the process. Which...this fanbase has been doing since he arrived.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: FineAsSwine on September 17, 2017, 11:29:50 am
Might as well try for world peace while you're at it.  ;)

The fact that this is only 'The First" post of what is sure to become a slow roasting of this thread  by immature posters saddens me and makes me ashamed of my fellow Hog fans...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Quote from: hobhog on September 17, 2017, 11:31:47 am
The players are hearing the hate and meanness too apparently. Some have said they are off Twitter and social media due to clown's comments and nastiness.

Sad.

Weak on the field and weak off it too.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: Steef on September 17, 2017, 12:47:37 pm
You're fighting for the right of tacky people to be tacky.

People should be able to say what they want (within reason) on a message board. Bring back the ignore button for those of us who don't wanna read them. As I said, I'm not going to participate in it, but why should anyone care what anyone else says?  As long as it isn't a threat or something like that. Is it tacky? Absolutely. But there's also plenty of people not offended in the least at it. Just my thoughts. Everybody's offended by everything these days I supppse.

PonderinHog

Hogdomer

Quote from: Steef on September 17, 2017, 12:48:12 pm
I've been a mod here for years. I've seen enough to know, this is not true.

When has it not worked?

Athog

Stay classy, Hogville.

+1. Many could benefit from your suggestion. Thank
You for saying it!  Go Hogs Beat Texas A&M !! We the fans
Support You!!