Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Education Contingency on Athletic Ability

Started by widespreadsooie, July 22, 2017, 11:22:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

widespreadsooie

This is an impulsive thought while watching Last Chance U. You'll understand more of what I'm thinking if you're familiar with series. Anyways, in short, there is career type talent all over the team. A high % of their feature players are faced with an ultimatum of passing classes, they couldn't care less about, or not optimizing their talent. It had me thinking that is very unfair. Do you think there's an education contingency on optimizing a football players' talent and ultimately a path to high success? If so, what are your thoughts about it?

Wildhog

Quote from: widespreadsooie on July 22, 2017, 11:22:44 pm
This is an impulsive thought while watching Last Chance U. You'll understand more of what I'm thinking if you're familiar with series. Anyways, in short, there is career type talent all over the team. A high % of their feature players are faced with an ultimatum of passing classes, they couldn't care less about, or not optimizing their talent. It had me thinking that is very unfair. Do you think there's an education contingency on optimizing a football players' talent and ultimately a path to high success? If so, what are your thoughts about it?

Technically there is no education contingent.   You just have to be three years removed from high school.

I don't think that's right, though.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

widespreadsooie

Very true. You just don't come across many NFL players who don't associate with a college though.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: widespreadsooie on July 22, 2017, 11:34:46 pm
Very true. You just don't come across many NFL players who don't associate with a college though.

99.9% wouldn't play for an NFL team until year 3-4 anyway and still need to develop technique and refine their position.
This is my non-signature signature.

Wildhog

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on July 23, 2017, 07:51:35 am
99.9% wouldn't play for an NFL team until year 3-4 anyway and still need to develop technique and refine their position.

I agree.  Just don't think there should be a rule.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on July 23, 2017, 07:51:35 am
Same with NBA and MLB. Difference is those leagues have development "sub leagues"
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

bennyl08

Quote from: widespreadsooie on July 22, 2017, 11:22:44 pm

Not exactly sure what you are actually saying here.

Should a school who is giving loads of money to these players require them to actually, you know, school?

Yes, absolutely yes.

Even in JUCO, they are still attending a school with at least the pretense of trying to get an education and often with a scholarship to play there as well though perhaps less common with the scholarships than a 4 year institution.

If somebody wants to make a developmental league for these players so that academics aren't required, by all means. Plenty have tried and failed because fans enjoy the tradition that is linked with sports and college. So, you'll have to either convince those sports teams to separate from the universities, something that will have a lot of support of people wanting college players to get paid and college people not wanting to have the universities paying so much money for sports, but will face heavy opposition from fans of university sports and the university admin. Or, build your own league that is able to attract players that want to be making a paycheck now or can't/don't want to qualify academically.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

PorkSoda

Quote from: Wildhog on July 22, 2017, 11:30:40 pm
Technically there is no education contingent.   You just have to be three years removed from high school.

I don't think that's right, though.
I think it has to do with physical development.  they don't want 18 yo twigs in the NFL.  most people are at least approaching physical maturity by 22

I think the real issue here is that our culture is anti intellectual.

its not that kids can't pass classes, its that they grew up thinking its not cool or whatever.

learning the work ethic to pass college classes and actually learn something about the world that we live in is not harmful to the player.

Heck, if I was a potential NFL player, I would be all over the business/finance classes to learn how to make the money earned in the NFL into even more money.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

theFlyingHog

There has been a change happening since football began. It started as just an athletic event, some excercise for those who sought it. They were going to college anyway. Now we have shifted to most athletes who would in no way be able to get into college otherwise. It's all about winning and money so you find the best athlete regardless of classroom ability. There are still window dressings to make people feel better about it, of course. I hope someone can find stats on the percentage of what fields athletes today are receiving degrees in. I do know it is becoming the exception for a D1 football player to receive a degree in something with any real world value. Actually this is more widespread than just athletes as colleges create more fields to increase the student body numbers. I'd wager if you go back 50 years and see what fields of study were offered many of them were of high value. Much more so than today

Dumb ole famrboy

College athletes in a sense are being required to obtained two bachelor degrees - one in their field of study and another in the actual sport in which they are participating.