Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jeff Longs Biggest Regret While At Arkansas

Started by gchamblee, June 02, 2017, 08:01:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gchamblee

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 02, 2017, 09:37:52 am
This is where we are different. Having been "there" I do blame the coaching staff not only for the Auburn game, but the A&M game and the Missouri and Va Tech games. I like Bielema, but it is the responsibility of the staff to make sure the team is ready and to intervene if it appears that there is a lack of leadership on the team. There were a lot of other factors involved in the losses last year besides a bad defensive scheme and a stubborn DC, but all of that falls under the responsibility of the HC and his staff.

This season is a big deal for me. I think this is the year I will be determining whether CBB simply can't get his guys to play winning football on both sides of the ball, or if he has just had some serious bad luck while here. I really like the roster he has built, but if he can't get them to play winning football then what's the point? I am really hoping he has just had some seriously bad luck.

hogsanity

Quote from: Wildhog on June 02, 2017, 09:27:38 am
I'm not a huge fan of 8 win seasons, either.  I'm just trying to be fair.  Sanity asked for a quantity.

After all, averaging 8 wins means you have some years with more than 8 wins.  That needs to happen this season.

Funny how many went silent when some actual numbers got posted.

8 wins a year is good, not bad, not great. It is a problem if it is 8 wins year after year with no 9+ years. However, based on a 13 game season counting the bowl, 8 wins is a win % of .62 which is above what we have been as a program since entering the sec.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Wildhog

Quote from: hogsanity on June 02, 2017, 09:46:18 am

8 wins a year is good, not bad, not great. It is a problem if it is 8 wins year after year with no 9+ years. However, based on a 13 game season counting the bowl, 8 wins is a win % of .62 which is above what we have been as a program since entering the sec.

I'm gonna double check your numbers later, but I still think 8/year is reasonable.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

I think I was thinking of HDN's record.  He averaged 7.5 wins/year (4.2 conference wins/year)
1909/1964/1965/1977

hogsanity

Quote from: Wildhog on June 02, 2017, 09:47:16 am
I'm gonna double check your numbers later, but I still think 8/year is reasonable.

I think that is reasonable too.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

navyhog24

Quote from: gchamblee on June 02, 2017, 09:41:00 am
This season is a big deal for me. I think this is the year I will be determining whether CBB simply can't get his guys to play winning football on both sides of the ball, or if he has just had some serious bad luck while here. I really like the roster he has built, but if he can't get them to play winning football then what's the point? I am really hoping he has just had some seriously bad luck.

The past two seasons have already helped me determine he isn't the man for the job.

WilsonHog

It's really pretty simple, and not at all surprising, when you get past the emotion of it.

Being the cynic that I am, my belief is that many if not most college football fans (including some Razorback fans) could not give a damn about the players aside from what they can do for their team on Saturday afternoon or evening. Don't care if they stay out of trouble, don't care if they go to class, don't care if they graduate - unless that failure somehow decreases the player's chances of entertaining the fan.

I'm convinced that a portion of our fan base could not care less if we cheat - so long as it brings wins. I'm convinced that a portion of our fan base could not care less if our players can even read ("This ain't about no book! Go run this football and shut up, boy!") That is sad.

I listened to an interview Jeff Long gave a couple of days ago. He talked about how our graduation rate matters to him because the fact that our players graduate makes it more likely that their children will get a college degree as well.

It really boils down to distinguishing the motivations of some fans from those of university BOT's, presidents, chancellors, and athletic directors.

Bret may not be the coach to get it done at UA, but if he isn't I hope that Long's philosophy will not change when he hires Bret's successor.

LZH

Quote from: hogsanity on June 02, 2017, 09:08:18 am
Wake Forest and Northern Illinois went to a BCS bowl too. 50+ different teams played in BCS bowls during the bcs era. And were the hogs really looked at as a upper tier sec program while getting blown out by both bama and lsu, or were they seen as a program that was having a couple good seasons. 

BP's teams didn't have the defense to win games if the other team could hold our offense in check. But that doesn't mean that every other coach in the league had warm and fuzzy feelings when they played him. A lot of people around here have come up with reasons why he wasn't that good, but I would say that he is one of the last coaches you want to be staring across the field at. He may be a prick, but he damn sure can coach.

Inhogswetrust

June 02, 2017, 09:54:14 am #58 Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 10:10:01 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Wildhog on June 02, 2017, 08:53:47 am
100%

Beats the hell out of what we're doing now.

Only in win percentage. It is perhaps the most important for the coach but not the only thing. That's not even the ONLY thing an AD has to consider. An AD and the coach both know that at some point enough wins to satisfy fans must come about. However IF a college coach and thus his team is doing all the other stuff right and the wins just haven't been quite what some fans expect then the coach deserves a little extra time to get that win percentage raised. All you win at all costs fans need to only root for an NFL team.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

RazorWest

Quote from: hogsanity on June 02, 2017, 09:46:18 am

Lets be honest here.  We didn't go to 12 games till 2006.  That extra game is pretty much a gimmie. So I think you have to start from there right?
Since 2006 pre Bielama - average exactly 8 wins a year 2006 - 2012
Bielama years - average 6.25

Overall
Bielama Winning Pct - .487
JLS - .333
BP - .667
HN - .620

How do you justify those numbers?

The_Iceman

I wonder how Petrino would have done when his huge crop of instate talent all left, and he had to coach his last 3 terrible recruiting classes?

Wildhog

Quote from: The_Iceman on June 02, 2017, 10:02:33 am
I wonder how Petrino would have done when his huge crop of instate talent all left, and he had to coach his last 3 terrible recruiting classes?

Better than his successors, I'm sure.
1909/1964/1965/1977

bkjbearcat

Quote from: The_Iceman on June 02, 2017, 10:02:33 am

He might of coached them up. Like turning a 3* QB into a Heisman winner.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Wildhog on June 02, 2017, 10:02:55 am
Better than his successors, I'm sure.

Good thing we have such experts at coaching as you around....................no wait nevermind.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: WilsonHog on June 02, 2017, 09:51:07 am
It's really pretty simple, and not at all surprising, when you get past the emotion of it.

Being the cynic that I am, my belief is that many if not most college football fans (including some Razorback fans) could not give a damn about the players aside from what they can do for their team on Saturday afternoon or evening. Don't care if they stay out of trouble, don't care if they go to class, don't care if they graduate - unless that failure somehow decreases the player's chances of entertaining the fan.

I'm convinced that a portion of our fan base could not care less if we cheat - so long as it brings wins. I'm convinced that a portion of our fan base could not care less if our players can even read ("This ain't about no book! Go run this football and shut up, boy!") That is sad.

I listened to an interview Jeff Long gave a couple of days ago. He talked about how our graduation rate matters to him because the fact that our players graduate makes it more likely that their children will get a college degree as well.

It really boils down to distinguishing the motivations of some fans from those of university BOT's, presidents, chancellors, and athletic directors.

Long said it...values. Too many here have the wrong ones.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Wildhog on June 02, 2017, 09:27:38 am
I'm not a huge fan of 8 win seasons, either.  I'm just trying to be fair.  Sanity asked for a quantity.

After all, averaging 8 wins means you have some years with more than 8 wins.  That needs to happen this season.

If we win 8 and get over the second half collapses I'll be satisfied and hopeful for the future.  Anything less, barring a massive injury bug or something random that tanks the season, and I'll be willing to light the fire under CBB's seat.  Improvement or bust.

gchamblee

Quote from: RazorWest on June 02, 2017, 09:59:38 am
Lets be honest here.  We didn't go to 12 games till 2006.  That extra game is pretty much a gimmie. So I think you have to start from there right?

Overall
JLS - .333
BP - .667
HN - .620

Easy, to be honest. 2013 was going to be a loser for whoever took the job. It was a broken team filled with broken players that were recruited for a different type of ball. Freshmen don't do a lot of winning in the SEC. I know that you are using that first year in your numbers because you really want those numbers to be as bad as they are, however, you asked how to justify those numbers so I gave you an answer.

Wildhog

Quote from: gchamblee on June 02, 2017, 10:06:37 am
Easy, to be honest. 2013 was going to be a loser for whoever took the job. It was a broken team filled with broken players that were recruited for a different type of ball. Freshmen don't do a lot of winning in the SEC. I know that you are using that first year in your numbers because you really want those numbers to be as bad as they are, however, you asked how to justify those numbers so I gave you an answer.

BP took over a dumpster fire in 2008, and that season gets factored in, as well.
1909/1964/1965/1977

hogsanity

Your belief is true, and many posts here bear it out.

gchamblee

Quote from: Wildhog on June 02, 2017, 10:08:00 am
BP took over a dumpster fire in 2008, and that season gets factored in, as well.

BP is a very talented coach and his style of offense is designed to counter a talent deficit. CBBs style of football is not what you would use to counter a talent deficit, it is designed to play against talent with developed talent and go toe to toe. 2 completely different approaches to the game in my opinion.

Inhogswetrust

Bret may not be the coach to get it done at UA, but if he isn't I hope that Long's philosophy will not change when he hires Bret's successor.

Great post Wilson! Some fans should not be rooting for college teams at all if they don't understand things like you touched on.

hogsanity

Quote from: RazorWest on June 02, 2017, 09:59:38 am

Overall
JLS - .333
BP - .667
HN - .620

I just used the numbers for each season, regardless of # of games. As for the assertion that the extra ooc game is a gimme, go back and look at the ooc schedules before and after adding the 12th game. The ooc schedules have been tougher since going to the 12th game.

hawgon

If Jeff Long thinks what we are doing now is competing, then we are in trouble.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: gchamblee on June 02, 2017, 10:11:06 am
BP is a very talented coach and his style of offense is designed to counter a talent deficit. CBBs style of football is not what you would use to counter a talent deficit, it is designed to play against talent with developed talent and go toe to toe. 2 completely different approaches to the game in my opinion.

Then why did he not do so well against obviously more talented teams ..................................

hogsanity

Quote from: The ColonelHog on June 02, 2017, 10:10:40 am
No, it's the opposite.  BP gave the program relevance in a short amount of time.  I'm convinced that the love for BB has ZERO to do with his mediocre performance on the field and more about his tiny dogs, trophy wife, and bloviating mouth.  Sorry, I'd rather take the winning!  Defined, BCS bowl and top five finish!

so the Hogs have had 0 " winning " seasons since joining the sec then. If winning is defined as going to a BCS bowl and finishing in the top 5 since those 2 things did not happen in the same season.

gchamblee

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 02, 2017, 10:14:07 am
Then why did he not do so well against obviously more talented teams ..................................

Because those more talented teams didn't have Robb Smith as their DC.

RazorWest

Quote from: hogsanity on June 02, 2017, 10:12:44 am
I just used the numbers for each season, regardless of # of games. As for the assertion that the extra ooc game is a gimme, go back and look at the ooc schedules before and after adding the 12th game. The ooc schedules have been tougher since going to the 12th game.

You're reaching

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

rhames

I'm not a Jeff long hater but I think it's kind of silly for him to say he regrets hiring Robert
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

hogsanity

Quote from: RazorWest on June 02, 2017, 10:17:03 am
You're reaching

really? Go look at the ooc schedules from seasons with 11 games and those with 12. I do not remember the Hogs playing tough ooc games very often when they only had 3.

RazorWest

Quote from: gchamblee on June 02, 2017, 10:06:37 am

?? I've got JLS numbers in the pre-Bielama and BPs first year so I think the numbers are a fair representation.  The point is not to show Bielama is a bad coach, the point is to show that Arkansas is not a crappy program that typically only wins 6 games a year like some on here like to proclaim

hogsanity

Quote from: rhames on June 02, 2017, 10:17:28 am
I'm not a Jeff long hater but I think it's kind of silly for him to say he regrets hiring Robert

Why, if he truly thinks it was ultimately harmful to the program.

bkjbearcat

No, it's the opposite.  BP gave the program relevance in a short amount of time.  I'm convinced that the love for BB has ZERO to do with his mediocre performance on the field and more about his tiny dogs, trophy wife, and bloviating mouth.  Sorry, I'd rather take the winning!  Defined, BCS bowl and top five finish!

Maybe the next HC will be a loud mouth like Morton Downey Jr and have a wife who looks like Gal Gadot.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

hogsanity

Quote from: RazorWest on June 02, 2017, 10:19:45 am
?? I've got JLS numbers in the pre-Bielama and BPs first year so I think the numbers are a fair representation.  The point is not to show Bielama is a bad coach, the point is to show that Arkansas is not a crappy program that typically only wins 6 games a year like some on here like to proclaim

since joining the sec they have averaged 6.68 wins per seasons, a win % of .55 over 25 seasons.

seasonhog

Quote from: Wildhog on June 02, 2017, 08:26:14 am
I hate that he regrets winning all those games.  Hopefully all this mediocrity will help him recover from it.

Yes; He has corrected that......at the expense of the TRUE hog fans.....winning is not why we play the game.........in Long mind.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 02, 2017, 10:12:32 am
Great post Wilson! Some fans should not be rooting for college teams at all if they don't understand things like you touched on.

Good point. I must admit that I have the exact same mindset that I charge them with having - but about my favorite NFL team or MLB team. Last time I checked, the Razorbacks made up of amateur athletes on a team associated with a university.

hogsanity

Quote from: seasonhog on June 02, 2017, 10:22:00 am

Yes; He has corrected that......at the expense of the TRUE hog fans.....winning is not why we play the game.........in Long mind.

ah yes, now we are going to throw out the "true fans" label. Many lifetime hog fans thought he was exactly right to fire BP.

rhames

Quote from: hogsanity on June 02, 2017, 10:20:06 am
Why, if he truly thinks it was ultimately harmful to the program.

Because what's the point? He can say he regrets how the tenure ended but to say that he regreted the hire all in all is silly. Those seasons gave him the ability to improve all Arkansas athletics.

Do you think a lot of what happened between 2008 and 2012 would have gotten approved or even conceived if Will Muschamp was our coach?

You think long would even be here still? Or viewed as one of the top ADs in the nation?

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

rhog1

Very well said. I have never understood the hate that Jeff Long gets on here from some.

hogsanity

Quote from: rhames on June 02, 2017, 10:24:45 am

Because what's the point? He can say he regrets how the tenure ended but to say that he regreted the hire all in all is silly. Those seasons gave him the ability to improve all Arkansas athletics.

Do you think a lot of what happened between 2008 and 2012 would have gotten approved or even conceived if Will Muschamp was our coach?

You think long would even be here still? Or viewed as one of the top ADs in the nation?

Depends on what Will Muschamp did as the coach. Maybe he wins as much or more, stays longer, and builds a perennial 10 game winner, since we're now dealing in a hypothetical. Or maybe he is a colossal failure and somehow the Hogs land Urban Meyer to replace him.

But, then hand the program was dealt was that BP was the coach, and at the height of his success he did the program over by putting himself above it.

Hawgar The Horrible

Bloviating? Reread what you just typed.

You are nothing more than a spectator. You will take whatever the program produces...or not. It doesn't matter how many insults you hurl. Its still all hat and no cattle.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

seasonhog

Quote from: LZH on June 02, 2017, 09:51:17 am
BP's teams didn't have the defense to win games if the other team could hold our offense in check. But that doesn't mean that every other coach in the league had warm and fuzzy feelings when they played him. A lot of people around here have come up with reasons why he wasn't that good, but I would say that he is one of the last coaches you want to be staring across the field at. He may be a prick, but he damn sure can coach.

BP, knew his defense needing help.....& he was ready to correct that......he who is without sin...throw the first stone.....I guess Long is without sin......

rhames

Quote from: hogsanity on June 02, 2017, 10:28:08 am
Depends on what Will Muschamp did as the coach. Maybe he wins as much or more, stays longer, and builds a perennial 10 game winner, since we're now dealing in a hypothetical. Or maybe he is a colossal failure and somehow the Hogs land Urban Meyer to replace him.

But, then hand the program was dealt was that BP was the coach, and at the height of his success he did the program over by putting himself above it.

I don't disagree with what you're saying other than  the Urban part, but Long is kind of giving the people who hate him a little ammunition here. The ones who claim he just fired Robert to look good.

I just think there was a better way to answer it

I also bet, oh yeah I know it is another hypothetical, long wouldn't hire Muschamp over Petrino even if he knew how it would end.

rhames

Quote from: The ColonelHog on June 02, 2017, 10:37:34 am
Do you really think anyone on here would even be mentioning BP if BB could even go 4-4 in the SEC and deliver something more than 7-6.  I have no idea what anyone's values are but we are on a college FB message board discussing a top 25 (in value) program that is a cellar dweller in the conference!  What kind of values does it take to accept mediocrity?  BB's track record at UA is dismal at best.  And as far as JL talking all this GPA stuff, why are there 8 other member institutions with better in the classroom results?  STOP IT!

BB did go 5-3 in the sec

RazorWest

Quote from: hogsanity on June 02, 2017, 10:21:06 am
since joining the sec they have averaged 6.68 wins per seasons, a win % of .55 over 25 seasons.

hogs have been in the sec for 24 years.  The first 13 they played 11 game seasons.  The last 11 they played 12.  You can't just ignore that to fit your 6.68 win theory. I gave you the numbers earlier and they didn't fit your argument.  As far as win Percentage, I gave that to you by coach as well, but you didn't like that either. 

hawgon

Statements like this will eventually get Long fired.  He apparently thinks he has stumbled upon a place where people don't care about winning.

PearlHarbor

My biggest regret was hiring Jeff Long.
Worst AD on the planet.

seasonhog

Quote from: hawgon on June 02, 2017, 10:56:12 am
Statements like this will eventually get Long fired.  He apparently thinks he has stumbled upon a place where people don't care about winning.

They are way to many who don't care about winning.......or they would be a lot more pushback....

hawgon

Quote from: seasonhog on June 02, 2017, 11:01:44 am
They are way to many who don't care about winning.......or they would be a lot more pushback....

Just wait until after this year.

hogsanity

Quote from: RazorWest on June 02, 2017, 10:51:02 am
hogs have been in the sec for 24 years.  The first 13 they played 11 game seasons.  The last 11 they played 12.  You can't just ignore that to fit your 6.68 win theory. I gave you the numbers earlier and they didn't fit your argument.  As far as win Percentage, I gave that to you by coach as well, but you didn't like that either. 

1992 was the 1st season, 2016 was the 25th. They have played 306 total games since joining the sec and won 167. It does not matter how many games they played per season, they have averaged 6.68 win per season since joining the sec. You want to split it out by coach, fine, but the overall totals for the program do not change.