Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mizzou basketball and transfers

Started by exit19, March 10, 2012, 07:00:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BR

MU is playing a total different style this year that the kids love to play. Saw them last year 5 times, saw them this year 7 times.. These kids are shooters, not "D" players. That is why they struggled in Mike's system... If they have a cold night they can lose to any one, if they are hitting shots like they did this week. They have a chance to do something. They also will have trouble against a team that has a great big man...  Next year they will struggle losing 6 of the top 8 players..  Can't wait till we play them.. Next year the Hogs should beat them...
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

99toLife

Quote from: Joetown Parrothead on March 11, 2012, 12:58:19 pm
MU is playing a total different style this year that the kids love to play. Saw them last year 5 times, saw them this year 7 times.. These kids are shooters, not "D" players. That is why they struggled in Mike's system... If they have a cold night they can lose to any one, if they are hitting shots like they did this week. They have a chance to do something. They also will have trouble against a team that has a great big man...  Next year they will struggle losing 6 of the top 8 players..  Can't wait till we play them.. Next year the Hogs should beat them...

Agree with 95% of this..If they go cold against a bigger team they will lose in the NCAAT...

HogFoo

Quote from: BobbyFischer on March 11, 2012, 10:57:18 am
I haven't been on this board for long but one thing is becoming very clear on how Hog fans look at basketball. It's very clear that, not all, but a lot of people live on what happened 18 years ago and what might happen 3 or 4 years from now and refuse to live in the present. This, I find fascinating.
The present is we just saw the same scenario happen with ole miss taking nuttsack from us. Ed Ogre left a big stash of talent for Nuttsack to run into the dirt.  he did.  And did nothing once he got his own players installed.

Same thing here.  Cept mike left Haith all the talent on your present team that you guys are having success with.  Had mike stayed at mizzou Otto porter would have came instead of going to georgetown and you guys would really have something going on. But mike left because he wanted to come home to coach at the university he helped win a title with.

You say we hog fans are trying to live off things that happened in the past. Wrong.  Thats not it.  Mike has a track record of winning at UAB.  He won at Mizzou and brought you the team you are winning with now.  ANd in his first year at arkansas with a depleted bench, he won nearly as many games as either of his predacessors did.  No, we aren't living in the past.  We are looking forward to the future because we know what this style of defense has did for us in the past.  We did win a title with this style and had been to many final fours.

Remind me again , what has mizzou did?  how many titles have you won?  how many final fours have you made?   

We will see in the years to come who has the better coach.  Just as we will see in all sports when u want to compare them between our two schools.  I don't think you guys are going to like the comparison 5yrs from now.  We have tradition in all sports.  You guys don't.  Tradition is based off of the past as well as present.  We will see how things work out though.  Go Hogs.  :razorback:
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

HawgAdvocate

Mizzou is now known as Transfer U.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

SemperFi

Not sure what the draw is playing for Frank Haith. Unless the guy has Bill Clinton smoozing abilities I simply cannot understand why any player worth his salt would choose Mizzou while he is Head Coach.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

The_Iceman

Why do so many guys transfer to Mizzou?

chiefhawg

The hook is Tim Fuller.
1.He is an ace recruiter and has worked for some solid D-1 coaches.
2. Coached Chris Paul at the high school level.
3. Has solid AAU contacts.
4. Worked at Nike promotions.

littlerockhawg

Quote from: chiefhawg on July 01, 2013, 03:46:31 pm
The hook is Tim Fuller.
1.He is an ace recruiter and has worked for some solid D-1 coaches.
2. Coached Chris Paul at the high school level.
3. Has solid AAU contacts.
4. Worked at Nike promotions.

This. They also just got a commitment from Chris Sandifer, a 2014 4 star shooting guard out of California, 88th ranked player in the country.  Haith can't coach but he has put together a great roster for them.

mizzouman

I hate the fact that we are accepting all these transfers.  It does have a lot to do with Coach Fuller and his previous relationships recruiting these kids before he got to Mizzou.  So, hopefully the transfer will be limited in the future. 

But, the transfers coming in are big time guys.  We'll have 8 guys 6'8 or taller with 4 of them over 6'10 and all can play.  Lots of physically grown men on that team in the next few years..

Sawyer

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on July 01, 2013, 10:27:14 am
Mizzou is now known as Transfer U.

Anderson's best team relied on two transfers in the starting lineup.

Haith took four transfers in his first year at Mizzou because the roster was bare after the seniors left. Options were limited at the time. Since then he's taken three in two years. The same number as Arkansas in the same timeframe. It's becoming the norm in college basketball. Too many players transfer to just ignore it as a source of talent.

Most coaches don't play 13 guys regularly. Even Anderson doesn't go that deep most nights. Would you rather have those last couple spots sit empty (or filled by guys who can't play) or bring in quality transfers who sit a year? How many athletic 6-10 high school players are available right now? How many have a national championship ring? If nothing else, a guy like Price offers a damn good practice body, five fouls and championship experience (what it was like to be on that the of team, not that he contributed on the court). Most teams would take that in a second.

jbcarol

The Eyes on the Tigers:

Mizzou hoops: Savvy roster management or transfer overload?

By Monday afternoon, the Missouri basketball team has gone almost a whole day without adding another transfer.

I kid. Sort of.

When Frank Haith arrived at Mizzou a little more two years ago, he inherited a talented, ready-made roster, which included sophomores Kadeem Green and Phil Pressey, junior Mike Dixon and seniors Laurence Bowers, Marcus Denmon, Kim English, Steve Moore, Matt Pressey and Ricardo Ratliffe. Ricky Kreklow, another sophomore-to-be, transferred to Cal shortly after Haith arrived.

That left Haith with just nine scholarship players — the NCAA maximum is 13 for men's basketball —and nine became seven when Bowers suffered a serious knee injury and Green left the team...

Ultimately, Haith's recruiting philosophy will be measured in wins and losses.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/eye-on-the-tigers/mizzou-hoops-savvy-roster-management-or-transfer-overload/article_aa5fa25a-efc3-59f1-9593-59a9e648a20e.html

Zach Price is Mizzou's seventh D1 transfer for Haith. The process of obtaining the other six is detailed in the link.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

It's Official

QuoteMissouri Basketball Head Coach Frank Haith announced that Zach Price has signed a financial aid agreement to attend the University of Missouri and will play for the men's basketball program.

A 6-foot-10, 250-pound forward from Cleveland, Ohio, Price will sit out the 2013-14 season (per NCAA transfer rules) and will be classified as a redshirt junior for the 2014-15 campaign.

"We are really excited to welcome Zach into our basketball family," Head Coach Frank Haith said. "Obviously Zach has great size and this redshirt season will be critical for him as he works to develop his body and improve his low-post skill. We've had a very good track record developing our post players over the last two years and that played a big role in him deciding to come to Mizzou. We like to play from the inside out and I believe Zach has the ability to be a very good low-post scorer and defender in the Southeastern Conference."

Price began his career at the University of Louisville and made seven starts last season, averaging 7.7 minutes per game.

jbcarol

Zach Price ‏@theJPrice 8 Jul
God forgives and I don't

outlawhogeywells

Seems like they have had more than there fair share of palyers that transfer in and it also seems like most of those get to play immediately.

The_Iceman

Their top 3 $corer$ are tran$fer$ from other $chool$. I'm not $ure how Haith and Mi$$ouri do it. Wi$h I knew.

mizzouman

This has been talked about before.  When CMA left, he left some good seniors but after that, the cupboard was very, very bare.  We basically had a full year with a recruit.  So to fill the gaps, we had to bring in some transfers. 

Also, who are these transfers that are immediately available?

mhuff

Mizzouman, these transfers had to be eligible immediately to play. Dollars would not have affected their eligibility. It would have affected their transferring. I think one of their hot shot players had to sit out a year. However, after UM how can anyone think that Haith was above paying players? In my book he will never live that down ,and I am ashamed that Missouri hired him.

Hawg Red

Have to credit Haith and staff for being crafty recruiters of quality transfers. Great way to retool while you build your brand at a new coaching stop. Going to take Haith a little longer to build up his prep talent due to losing so many guys after that first year.

That said, I'm still laughing about his tough guy outburst last year. And I'm laughing even harder at Mike's reaction. Priceless.

twistitup

If Haith gets let go due to NCAA troubles....maybe we get some of the MO talent here in Fville.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Hawg Red

Quote from: twistitup on December 16, 2013, 12:32:16 pm
If Haith gets let go due to NCAA troubles....maybe we get some of the MO talent here in Fville.

If he gets let go?

That's all done. He got suspended. It's over. He's safe.

99toLife

Quote from: twistitup on December 16, 2013, 12:32:16 pm
I doubt that is going to happen, he is under tight rule at Missouri.

immahog

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 16, 2013, 12:18:37 pm
Their top 3 $corer$ are tran$fer$ from other $chool$. I'm not $ure how Haith and Mi$$ouri do it. Wi$h I knew.

+1
No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

mizzouman

Quote from: mhuff on December 16, 2013, 12:28:35 pm
Mizzouman, these transfers had to be eligible immediately to play. Dollars would not have affected their eligibility. It would have affected their transferring. I think one of their hot shot players had to sit out a year. However, after UM how can anyone think that Haith was above paying players? In my book he will never live that down ,and I am ashamed that Missouri hired him.
Of all the transfers Haith and Mizzou has had, only 1 became immediately eligible.  That was Oriakhi because UCONN could not go to the NCAAT during his senior year.  The rules state if this is the case and a player transfers, he can become immediately eligible.  Other than that, all had to sit out the required time.  So, I don't know who you are referring to.

Also, to say Mizzou is paying players is a pretty big accusation.  If you have proof, please bring if forward. 

HappyFan

Quote from: mizzouman on December 16, 2013, 12:56:02 pm
Of all the transfers Haith and Mizzou has had, only 1 became immediately eligible.  That was Oriakhi because UCONN could not go to the NCAAT during his senior year.  The rules state if this is the case and a player transfers, he can become immediately eligible.  Other than that, all had to sit out the required time.  So, I don't know who you are referring to.

Also, to say Mizzou is paying players is a pretty big accusation.  If you have proof, please bring if forward. 

That is why it is an accusation proof is not required, if proof was given it would be a conviction.   :razorback:

outlawhogeywells

Wasn't jabarri brown not eligible without sitting out.  I looked up his stats and he shows stats with ore in 2011-2012 and stats at MO for 2012-2013

99toLife

Quote from: outlawhogeywells on December 16, 2013, 01:41:12 pm
Wasn't jabarri brown not eligible without sitting out.  I looked up his stats and he shows stats with ore in 2011-2012 and stats at MO for 2012-2013
Going from memory, He played a couple of games at Ore in 2011 and then quit, transferred to Missouri and sat out the 2012 part of the season and was eligible starting in 2013.  He played ZERO college games in the year 2012.  Someone correct me if this is not accurate.

mhuff

Quote from: 99toLife on December 16, 2013, 01:50:13 pm
Going from memory, He played a couple of games at Ore in 2011 and then quit, transferred to Missouri and sat out the 2012 part of the season and was eligible starting in 2013.  He played ZERO college games in the year 2012.  Someone correct me if this is not accurate.

mhuff

Quote from: mizzouman on December 16, 2013, 12:56:02 pm

Something about not changing spots. Just saying that when a school hires a coach that is tainted. That school becomes tainted by association. I say the same thing about KY. Nothing against you Missouman, and that is my opinion. Everyone has the right to that. I was born in Mo. but I have never seen a BB game there. Sure I like to see them do well if they are not playing the Hogs, but I am ashamed of them for hiring Haith. And you can say nothing was proven..... expect someone else to believe that. Do you in all honesty think him innocent?

mizzouman

Quote from: HappyFan on December 16, 2013, 01:21:34 pm
That is why it is an accusation proof is not required, if proof was given it would be a conviction.   :razorback:
Uh, what?  Do you go around accusing people without evidence? 

mizzouman

Quote from: outlawhogeywells on December 16, 2013, 01:41:12 pm
He was a midterm transfer.  He sat out an entire year.

mizzouman

Correct.  He transfered and sat out the second semester and the first semester at Missouri.  So, he basically sat out an entire year. 

outlawhogeywells

Thanks for the clearing up his status. 

rzrbackramsfan

I think haith gets good player buried in the depth chart at good schools, offers them a starting spot and to play the whole game, then gets good players at small universities and offer them an upgrade in team and to play the whole game. 

What you get is a pretty talented starting five and that's it.  No continuity or depth.  Arkansas is going  to destroyyy them. 

tusksincolorado

Quote from: mizzouman on December 16, 2013, 02:01:58 pm
Uh, what?  Do you go around accusing people without evidence? 

Welcome to the SEC!
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

MIZZOU MSG

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on December 16, 2013, 09:27:01 pm

What you get is a pretty talented starting five and that's it.  No continuity or depth.  Arkansas is going  to destroyyy them.

LOL, NOT!

mizzouman

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on December 16, 2013, 09:27:01 pm
I think haith gets good player buried in the depth chart at good schools, offers them a starting spot and to play the whole game, then gets good players at small universities and offer them an upgrade in team and to play the whole game. 

This is not the case.  The transfer who have contributed for Haith are:

Alex Oriakhi – UCONN transfer and very high recruited player
Jabari Brown – Just didn't fit at Oregon.  Started the 6 games or so he played in for Oregon.  I believe a 5 star kid
Keion Bell – Leading scoring at Pepperdine. 
Earnest Ross – Decent player at Auburn, I believe he started
Jordan Clarkson – Leading scorer at Tulsa and good friend of Phil Pressey. 

These aren't players who were buried on someone's depth chart. 

As far as destroying Mizzou, you might, but you might not.  We'll know more about Mizzou after the Illinois game.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: mizzouman on December 17, 2013, 07:40:08 am
This is not the case.  The transfer who have contributed for Haith are:

Alex Oriakhi – UCONN transfer and very high recruited player
Jabari Brown – Just didn't fit at Oregon.  Started the 6 games or so he played in for Oregon.  I believe a 5 star kid
Keion Bell – Leading scoring at Pepperdine. 
Earnest Ross – Decent player at Auburn, I believe he started
Jordan Clarkson – Leading scorer at Tulsa and good friend of Phil Pressey. 

These aren't players who were buried on someone's depth chart. 

As far as destroying Mizzou, you might, but you might not.  We'll know more about Mizzou after the Illinois game.

The only guy that doesn't fit that description is brown because I said or players who want to upgrade programs and still get to play the whole game.  You don't have any transfers that are role players do you?

mizzouman

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on December 17, 2013, 08:26:14 am
The only guy that doesn't fit that description is brown because I said or players who want to upgrade programs and still get to play the whole game.  You don't have any transfers that are role players do you?
The entire context of your post inferred that the transfers at Mizzou are players that were not starters at their previous schools only to come to Mizzou to be starters because they can.  Players that transferred to Mizzou are pretty good players, starters on their previous team with the exception of Oriakhi.

Anyway, transfer were a necessity with Haith when he took the job.

Biggus Piggus

The only curious thing is how Haith recruits transfers.
[CENSORED]!

nextlevel

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 17, 2013, 12:13:40 pm

That and how Mizzou would force out his only good xs and os coach after knowing his results at Miami.

Haith is a good recruiter, poor coach.
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

mizzouman

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 17, 2013, 12:13:40 pm
For Oriakhi and Clarkson, Phil Pressey hand delivered these guys.
Brown and Bell, I believe, were coached by former Mizzou player Johnnie Parker, but could be wrong on this.  I do know that they both know Parker very well.
Ross has ties to Haith through previous recruiting efforts.

Fayettechill14

Makes sense. It's what Fred Gulley did.

mizzouman

Forgot, two more transfers sitting the pine this year in Zach Price (Louisville) and Deuce Bello (Baylor).

dgfclt

Quote from: mhuff on December 16, 2013, 12:28:35 pm

Orhiaki was the only transfer allowed to play without sitting a year I believe.  CMA was in for a world of hurt if he had stayed as the recruiting had fallen off the charts.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Hawg Red on December 16, 2013, 12:29:05 pm
Have to credit Haith and staff for being crafty recruiters of quality transfers. Great way to retool while you build your brand at a new coaching stop. Going to take Haith a little longer to build up his prep talent due to losing so many guys after that first year.

That said, I'm still laughing about his tough guy outburst last year. And I'm laughing even harder at Mike's reaction. Priceless.
transfers suck as a way of building a team...once you start into that process it keeps your recruting numbers screwed up...AU is and used to doing the same thing and they can never develop young talent
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

nextlevel

Quote from: dgfclt on December 17, 2013, 03:30:12 pm
Orhiaki was the only transfer allowed to play without sitting a year I believe.  CMA was in for a world of hurt if he had stayed as the recruiting had fallen off the charts.

You see most teams fall off after reaching their program's ceiling. Florida was in a the NIT after the back to back NCs.

The elite8 is Mizzou's ceiling.
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

Hawg Red

December 17, 2013, 04:15:33 pm #97 Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 05:57:06 pm by Hawg Red
Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on December 17, 2013, 03:40:08 pm
transfers suck as a way of building a team...once you start into that process it keeps your recruting numbers screwed up...AU is and used to doing the same thing and they can never develop young talent

I didn't say anything about building a team with transfers. I said "retool." He's filling in gaps with transfers while he gets it going with prep players. I think it's worked out fairly well for them so far. It doesn't work out for a lot of coaches, which is why I gave credit to Haith. Logically, it stands to reason that bringing in players with college experience would be beneficial. Just have to find the right guys and make it work. Fred Hoiberg does the same thing and he's got ISU rocking right now.

Agree to disagree.

99toLife

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on December 17, 2013, 03:40:08 pm
You can't have 9-10 freshman on your team either, Transfers is the only way you can get a program back to a flow of new players every year in the future. 

mizzouman

Quote from: dgfclt on December 17, 2013, 03:30:12 pm
There was NO recruiting the last year CMA was there.