Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This season will mark 40 years since the 1977 season

Started by Ben, April 30, 2017, 03:42:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mo_Better_Hogs

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on May 08, 2017, 09:05:05 am
I had that 45, of the Orange Bowl song by Lefty Floyd.

I share everyone's great memories of that season, how strong that team was (if you recall, the previous year we were a ho-hum 5-5-1), all those wins, another sickening Texas loss with the help from the refs, concluding with the upset of OU. That was my freshman year of high school.

As good as our offense was, with Ron Calcagni, Ben Cowins, Steve Little, this may be the first Hog team where I knew everything about every guy on defense, including tackles Jimmy Walker and Dan Hampton. I played defensive back, so I was really into our amazing secondary—Sampson, Martin, Lusby and Shoup (3 All-SWC, 1 Academic All-American). We never gave up long plays.

Something else, the Spring before this season, Lou Holtz came to Bentonville to speak at our athletic banquet. There are 2 odd things about this—one, I would have been in 8th grade, so I'm not sure why I would have been to the varsity banquet (unless it was just to hear Holtz). And two, why the heck would he come to Bentonville??...it's not like it was the thriving metropolis it is now. No one knew much about Holtz then, but with his comedy schtick and magic tricks, he blew everyone away.

I was feeling a little blue today, so I'm bumping this thread. I was in 8th grade in '77, and was that game ever the topic when we all got back to school a few days later.

I also remember that great defense, which had to be one of the best we ever had. Maybe THE best. In addition to those guys you mentioned TJ, there was Orange Bowl MVP Reggie Freeman and ABC-TV Defensive Player of the Year Larry Jackson.