Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NASDAQ Investor Validity, Special for RicePig

Started by BigBrandonAllenFan, November 30, 2016, 09:05:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on March 10, 2017, 02:34:41 pm
Good stuff.  Thanks V8.  ;D
Here's another idea I just went into this morning. It's called the Direrxion Daily Gold Miners 3x Bull Index Fund (NUGT). It's an ETF that leverages 3 times the movement of an index of various gold mining stocks that make up the portfolio. Obviously with the leverage your potential movement in price are going to be magnified either up or down. That's why having a firm limit price to buy AND to protect any potential downside (a "stop" price) needs to be understood going in. For example, I bought this morning at $7.546 (I had a strict buy limit of no more than $7.55) and a "sell stop" (downside protection) of $6.23. The shares closed this afternoon at $8.01, up 59c (7.95%) for the day. Assuming I can manage a 15-20% return over the next few weeks I will "take it to the bank" with no questions asked. I most certainly WON'T be greedy.

Not saying this is something you could or should try, however, it does show there are opportunities above and beyond just trying to move in and out of no load funds and having to hold for a certain period to avoid penalties. Plenty of ways to "skin the old cat" as they say.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on March 10, 2017, 01:06:49 pm
I am doubling this FSAGX investment from 3% to 6% of portfolio today, and again, in doing so I am buying back half of my current loss.  I'm currently down 3.8% on FSAGX and it appears gold may be bottoming at 1200.00  I hope so, but if gold continues to slide I can double to 12% to catch up if need be.

Fidelity Select Gold rebounded 3.03% today.  Go figure.

My first buy was at 20.20, my double up at 20.03.

With the price of gold nearly flat today, I figured FSAGX would stay flat too.  Oh well, not complaining.  Good to get the gain back on my initial buy.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on March 10, 2017, 06:10:46 pm
Here's another idea I just went into this morning. It's called the Direrxion Daily Gold Miners 3x Bull Index Fund (NUGT). It's an ETF that leverages 3 times the movement of an index of various gold mining stocks that make up the portfolio. Obviously with the leverage your potential movement in price are going to be magnified either up or down. That's why having a firm limit price to buy AND to protect any potential downside (a "stop" price) needs to be understood going in. For example, I bought this morning at $7.546 (I had a strict buy limit of no more than $7.55) and a "sell stop" (downside protection) of $6.23. The shares closed this afternoon at $8.01, up 59c (7.95%) for the day. Assuming I can manage a 15-20% return over the next few weeks I will "take it to the bank" with no questions asked. I most certainly WON'T be greedy.

Not saying this is something you could or should try, however, it does show there are opportunities above and beyond just trying to move in and out of no load funds and having to hold for a certain period to avoid penalties. Plenty of ways to "skin the old cat" as they say.

I like your style, V8.  We have similar concepts.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on January 02, 2017, 05:24:49 pm
Ok RP... 

I just put in a buy for FPHAX (Fidelity Select Pharmaceuticals) for 25% of my portfolio.  The buy will not finalize until close of market tomorrow, Tuesday 1/3/17.  I will get tomorrow's closing price as my buying cost. 

Take a look at the one and three year graphs (below) and you will see why I'm jumping in.  The price of last Friday's close for FPHAX was $17.04 per share.  I figure I'll get the buy at or very near that mark, maybe a half percent more or less.  Futures are down for tomorrow's opening, so I'm hoping for a little less.

Anyone wanting to make a dime, there you go.  I'll post my exact sell date  by noon of the sale day if anyone wants to follow suit..  I think I can get an easy 10% in 30 to 45 days.

I've posted a multitude of buys up in here, all good winners as proven by exacts in post.  This one will be no different.

"George only here to help".  George of Jungle

http://www.google.com/finance?q=MUTF:FPHAX&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiN5b6JxaTRAhVP9mMKHTojDkIQowEIFDAA

Selling this fund FPHAX (Fidelity Select Pharmaceuticals) today which was an investment of 25% of my portfolio.  I bought three funds the day I bought this one and this is the last to be sold of those three.  I'm up near very 6% and by my read of the graph I am near a maximum short term take.  I was up 6 % on FPHAX last week and it fell back 2%.  The fund has now regained that 2% drop and I'm selling.. 10 weeks is long enough for me.  Cashing the profit. 

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on March 10, 2017, 06:55:54 pm
Fidelity Select Gold rebounded 3.03% today.  Go figure.

My first buy was at 20.20, my double up at 20.03.

With the price of gold nearly flat today, I figured FSAGX would stay flat too.  Oh well, not complaining.  Good to get the gain back on my initial buy.

I got a 6.95% single day increase yesterday in this fund (FSAGX). Bam. Gold jumped after the prime rate was increased 1/4%.

https://www.google.com/#q=fsagx&*

As I've said before, FSAGX is Fidelity's most volatile mutual fund of all. I owned this same fund four different times in 2015 and one day back then I had a 12% single day advance.  I also got hooked into it one of those times for 5 months, losing about 15% and then came the patient wait to recover.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on March 10, 2017, 06:10:46 pm

Just to give you an update on this. I decided to close out the position today at a price of $9.243. I figured a 22.5% net gain in less than a week was nothing to overlook. I honestly expect both gold and silver to remain extremely volatile over the next several weeks. However, as we get into April it appears both to be in a general uptrend.

woodrow hog call

Reading you guys posts got me to looking at my Fidelity account a little closer, so I rolled a couple of weak performing accounts into (HACAX) Harbor Cap Appr Inst, that is 55% of my portfolio now.

It has better returns than any of the others I was in, showing 10.15% YTD. Then I get some warning notifications like they think I was doing something wrong, all I did was roll two different funds into this one, and then change my future contributions to it as well.

Is that just a normal form message they send out or do I need to change something about how my account is set up?

Our records indicate that your recent exchange activity in the funds indicated below in the Plan account referenced above
raises concerns related to our efforts to identify and address excessive short-term trading in certain plan funds.
Fund Name
AF EUROPAC GROWTH R6
WA CORE PLS BOND IS
The purpose of this letter is to remind you of the excessive trading policy regarding certain funds held within your account and
to serve as a warning on the above-referenced trading activity within your account. We value you as a customer and we want
to help you transact business in your account in accordance with the funds' excessive trading policy. We understand that not
everyone who receives this letter has the intent of being an excessive trader.
Short-term and other frequent trading by shareholders can adversely affect a fund's performance by disrupting the portfolio
manager's investment strategy, by increasing expenses (such as trading commissions), or allowing some investors to
capitalize on stale pricing at the fund's expense. To help protect the interests of fund investors in collectively seeking
long-term returns on their investments and in accordance with the terms described in the fund prospectus or other governing
document, the above funds prohibit excessive trading and limit exchanges. For this purpose, we review round trip
transactions (as defined below) in plan accounts holding funds that are subject to excessive trading policies .
A "round trip" is generally defined as an exchange purchase that an investor directs into a fund, followed by an exchange sale
within 30 days. Round trips can result in restrictions being placed on an investor's ability to trade .
Our records indicate that you recently completed a "round trip" in the funds referenced above. Although, as
of the date of this letter, this activity will not currently restrict your ability to make an exchange purchase into the above
referenced funds, if we find any additional round trip exchanges within 90 days from the day that you performed the exchange
sales out of the above referenced funds during your prior round trips, your ability to exchange into these funds in your Plan
account will be suspended for the periods described below.
Fund Name Suspension Period
AF EUROPAC GROWTH R6 85 DAYS
WA CORE PLS BOND IS 85 DAYS
Following the suspensions, any subsequent round trip exchange of the above funds within the monitoring periods described
below will result in another suspension for a period described below.
Fund Name Monitoring Period Suspension Period
AF EUROPAC GROWTH R6 12 MONTHS 85 DAYS
WA CORE PLS BOND IS 12 MONTHS 85 DAYS
In addition, if you make 4 or more round trip exchanges within the same funds or other applicable funds across all
other plan investment options governed by the same excessive trading policy during a 12-month period, your trading authority
will be restricted as described below. This would occur, for example, if you made two round trips in a fund mentioned above
and two round trips in another plan fund with the same excessive trading policy during the period in question.

"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: woodrow hog call on March 16, 2017, 05:16:31 pm
Reading you guys posts got me to looking at my Fidelity account a little closer, so I rolled a couple of weak performing accounts into (HACAX) Harbor Cap Appr Inst, that is 55% of my portfolio now.

It has better returns than any of the others I was in, showing 10.15% YTD. Then I get some warning notifications like they think I was doing something wrong, all I did was roll two different funds into this one, and then change my future contributions to it as well.

Is that just a normal form message they send out or do I need to change something about how my account is set up?

Our records indicate that your recent exchange activity in the funds indicated below in the Plan account referenced above
raises concerns related to our efforts to identify and address excessive short-term trading in certain plan funds.
Fund Name
AF EUROPAC GROWTH R6
WA CORE PLS BOND IS
The purpose of this letter is to remind you of the excessive trading policy regarding certain funds held within your account and
to serve as a warning on the above-referenced trading activity within your account. We value you as a customer and we want
to help you transact business in your account in accordance with the funds' excessive trading policy. We understand that not
Short-term and other frequent trading by shareholders can adversely affect a fund's performance by disrupting the portfolio
manager's investment strategy, by increasing expenses (such as trading commissions), or allowing some investors to
capitalize on stale pricing at the fund's expense. To help protect the interests of fund investors in collectively seeking
long-term returns on their investments and in accordance with the terms described in the fund prospectus or other governing
document, the above funds prohibit excessive trading and limit exchanges. For this purpose, we review round trip
transactions (as defined below) in plan accounts holding funds that are subject to excessive trading policies .
A "round trip" is generally defined as an exchange purchase that an investor directs into a fund, followed by an exchange sale
within 30 days. Round trips can result in restrictions being placed on an investor's ability to trade .
Our records indicate that you recently completed a "round trip" in the funds referenced above. Although, as
of the date of this letter, this activity will not currently restrict your ability to make an exchange purchase into the above
referenced funds, if we find any additional round trip exchanges within 90 days from the day that you performed the exchange
sales out of the above referenced funds during your prior round trips, your ability to exchange into these funds in your Plan
Following the suspensions, any subsequent round trip exchange of the above funds within the monitoring periods described
In addition, if you make 4 or more round trip exchanges within the same funds or other applicable funds across all
other plan investment options governed by the same excessive trading policy during a 12-month period, your trading authority
will be restricted as described below. This would occur, for example, if you made two round trips in a fund mentioned above
and two round trips in another plan fund with the same excessive trading policy during the period in question.
I don't personally invest in any Fidelity funds and so I'm not totally clear as to their particular rules/regulations. However, in reading this over and having been in the investment business for over 35 years I would say that the fund company is obviously trying to slow down some of the "round trippers" that sometimes have a habit of trying to time and trade the various funds as an person might an individual equity. Let's face it: while you may be able to exchange at any time, in some cases 30 days without penalty, the actual purpose of ANY fund, load or no-load, is to give the client exposure for LONGER periods of time. Whether or not that's six months, one year, or longer, the fund is structured to make it's "bets" on the longer trends of the market(s) and/or market sector(s) in which the fund has its investments.   Open ended mutual funds (such as your Fidelity holdings), unlike exchange traded funds (ETFs), individual stocks/bonds, etc. typically do NOT hold much/any cash in reserve for holder redemptions. Therefore, when an individual investor redeems (cashes in) his/her shares the fund either has to take cash being held in reserve OR actually liquidate holdings held by the fund to meet the sale(s). IF the fund is forced to sell actual investments then that may or may not be in the best interest of the other shareholders (what happens if the fund is forced to sell securities that are going up and likely to climb higher). In addition, every trade that's executed by the fund entails a cost to the fund; it's the cost of doing business, even if the  fund investor isn't charged individually. Therefore, the cost(s) associated with trading through the redemption of shares is in reality assessed against the total value of the entire fund. More redemptions/sales generate more fund costs/expenses. In that respect EVERYONE loses.

I sincerely apologize for the long, tedious explanation. However, I hope it explains much of what the Fidelity folks are trying to communicate.

Several final thoughts. I totally understand the attraction of trying to "time the markets" and to have some "fun money" devoted to garnering some short term gains. Heck, I do it with a very SMALL portion (less than 10%) of my own investment portfolio. However, for my SERIOUS money I tend to stick with longer term more "slow poke" forms of investments. I learned long ago that while I may "hit" on some short term trades, the odds are in the end stacked against me. In reality trading is another form or gambling-you not only have to be right about your investment BUT your timing also has to be "spot on".
Miss either one (or both) of those factors and you very well likely are "screwed". In the end, for your serious investment monies such as retirement, diversify your investment holdings based on your age, liquidity needs, risk tolerance, general  current and future financial obligations/goals. Monitor your holdings and their performance over TIME (not days or necessarily several weeks) and reassess once a year or more often if your situation warrants it. In the meantime sit back and enjoy your family, life, and of course, the Hogs. Let the gamblers blow themselves up by constantly trying to time the markets.

Good luck!!

ricepig

Dang, I thought you were going to post a picture in that bottom 7" not used for anything. Anyway, you "buy" stocks.

woodrow hog call

Vantage, thank you very much for your answer and explanation.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: ricepig on March 16, 2017, 07:09:44 pm
Dang, I thought you were going to post a picture in that bottom 7" not used for anything. Anyway, you "buy" stocks.
Yeah, not sure what the heck happened at the bottom of the post with all that space. ???

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on March 16, 2017, 03:57:29 pm
Just to give you an update on this. I decided to close out the position today at a price of $9.243. I figured a 22.5% net gain in less than a week was nothing to overlook. I honestly expect both gold and silver to remain extremely volatile over the next several weeks. However, as we get into April it appears both to be in a general uptrend.

He11 no it wasn't nothing to overlook.  Good play, V8.   ;)

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on March 16, 2017, 06:40:51 pm
I don't personally invest in any Fidelity funds and so I'm not totally clear as to their particular rules/regulations. However, in reading this over and having been in the investment business for over 35 years I would say that the fund company is obviously trying to slow down some of the "round trippers" that sometimes have a habit of trying to time and trade the various funds as an person might an individual equity. Let's face it: while you may be able to exchange at any time, in some cases 30 days without penalty, the actual purpose of ANY fund, load or no-load, is to give the client exposure for LONGER periods of time. Whether or not that's six months, one year, or longer, the fund is structured to make it's "bets" on the longer trends of the market(s) and/or market sector(s) in which the fund has its investments.   Open ended mutual funds (such as your Fidelity holdings), unlike exchange traded funds (ETFs), individual stocks/bonds, etc. typically do NOT hold much/any cash in reserve for holder redemptions. Therefore, when an individual investor redeems (cashes in) his/her shares the fund either has to take cash being held in reserve OR actually liquidate holdings held by the fund to meet the sale(s). IF the fund is forced to sell actual investments then that may or may not be in the best interest of the other shareholders (what happens if the fund is forced to sell securities that are going up and likely to climb higher). In addition, every trade that's executed by the fund entails a cost to the fund; it's the cost of doing business, even if the  fund investor isn't charged individually. Therefore, the cost(s) associated with trading through the redemption of shares is in reality assessed against the total value of the entire fund. More redemptions/sales generate more fund costs/expenses. In that respect EVERYONE loses.

I sincerely apologize for the long, tedious explanation. However, I hope it explains much of what the Fidelity folks are trying to communicate.

Several final thoughts. I totally understand the attraction of trying to "time the markets" and to have some "fun money" devoted to garnering some short term gains. Heck, I do it with a very SMALL portion (less than 10%) of my own investment portfolio. However, for my SERIOUS money I tend to stick with longer term more "slow poke" forms of investments. I learned long ago that while I may "hit" on some short term trades, the odds are in the end stacked against me. In reality trading is another form or gambling-you not only have to be right about your investment BUT your timing also has to be "spot on".
Miss either one (or both) of those factors and you very well likely are "screwed". In the end, for your serious investment monies such as retirement, diversify your investment holdings based on your age, liquidity needs, risk tolerance, general  current and future financial obligations/goals. Monitor your holdings and their performance over TIME (not days or necessarily several weeks) and reassess once a year or more often if your situation warrants it. In the meantime sit back and enjoy your family, life, and of course, the Hogs. Let the gamblers blow themselves up by constantly trying to time the markets.

Good luck!!

Good stuff, V8.

BigBrandonAllenFan

March 17, 2017, 10:57:50 am #113 Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 11:12:45 am by BigBrandonAllenFan
Quote from: woodrow hog call on March 16, 2017, 05:16:31 pm

Fund Name
AF EUROPAC GROWTH R6
WA CORE PLS BOND IS

I was given this same obligato and in the year 2016 Fidelity restricted me to one day of trading per quarter for a year.  What I had done unaware, as I bought and sold funds (indeed timing the market as V8 referred to) I would sell and every time I was placing the money into a low risk bond fund, then I would repurchase out of that same bond fund.  Unbeknownst to me, that constituted excessive trading for a single fund (even though there was no early redemption fee on the bond fund).  For that I was restricted.

I know now that Fidelity's 10 or 12 Cash Reserve Funds have no restrictions on movement, and though the interest on your cash reserve is the smallest of small, you are safe to trade in and out of Fidelity funds to Cash Reserve without danger of restriction.  The way the Fidelity rep explained  my case to me, I had bought and sold out of the same bond fund more than 4 times in one quarter, and that constituted excessive trading, it wasn't anything to do with the 60 buys and sells of other widely varied funds, it was simply banking in and out of a single bond fund more than allowed.  If you're gonna trade Fidelity funds regularly, selling back into cash reserve is the safest way to not get restricted, and not lose a single dime in the process.

You may want to call and have a rep explain exactly where a possible infraction lies.  That's what I did, but for me I had already been restricted when I called.  And they didn't budge on reversing it.  But I did understand where the infraction was committed after talking with the rep.

woodrow hog call

Thanks for that answer as well. The thing I think that made me look like I was "round tripping" was that I had not been contributing to the plan for a while, so it was just sitting there with no activity.

Then earlier this year I started my contributing again, so in Feburary there was a purchase, because of my pay check deductions and then in March I was selling some of those that I had just purchased and then purchasing more of the HACAX.

So it may have appeared that I was trying to do some short term trading, but my intent was just to get more eggs in my best basket and let it ride.

Again thanks to all of you for your information in this forum, its very helpful to me. :razorback: :razorback:

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: woodrow hog call on March 17, 2017, 12:02:03 pm
Thanks for that answer as well. The thing I think that made me look like I was "round tripping" was that I had not been contributing to the plan for a while, so it was just sitting there with no activity.

Then earlier this year I started my contributing again, so in Feburary there was a purchase, because of my pay check deductions and then in March I was selling some of those that I had just purchased and then purchasing more of the HACAX.

So it may have appeared that I was trying to do some short term trading, but my intent was just to get more eggs in my best basket and let it ride.

Again thanks to all of you for your information in this forum, its very helpful to me. :razorback: :razorback:
From my standpoint you're more than welcome. Now the fee for my advice will (only) be 50% of your retirement account balance.  I like to work cheap ;) 8) :P

ricepig

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on March 17, 2017, 06:21:43 pm
From my standpoint you're more than welcome. Now the fee for my advice will (only) be 50% of your retirement account balance.  I like to work cheap ;) 8) :P

I assume you'll eat 50% of the losses, too?

Vantage 8 dude

March 17, 2017, 11:14:55 pm #117 Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 12:34:57 pm by Vantage 8 dude
Quote from: ricepig on March 17, 2017, 08:03:34 pm
I assume you'll eat 50% of the losses, too?
Nah, got to have SOME compensation for my brilliant advice.  ;) 8) Besides, by NASD rules I'm not permitted to share in any losses....if there ever any, not likely, to begin with. ;) 8) :P

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on March 17, 2017, 06:21:43 pm

That qualifies you for about 50 bucks.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on March 20, 2017, 03:08:59 pm
Well in that case your retirement account is only worth "c-note". You definitely need to get to work, and fast!!

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on March 20, 2017, 03:08:59 pm
Just as an aside: consulted my "crystal ball" and came up with a potential base-building trade on energy as we go into April and early May. By then we should see a substantial breakout on the upside and a number of stocks in that sector making significant gains over the several months into mid summer.

Obviously the sector has gotten "hammered" of late; in fact, year-to-date it has actually been the worst performing sector of the market. Even more so than more interest rate sensitive sectors such as utilities and REITs. As a result, most folks have avoided the sector like the plague.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on March 20, 2017, 03:38:29 pm
Just as an aside: consulted my "crystal ball" and came up with a potential base-building trade on energy as we go into April and early May. By then we should see a substantial breakout on the upside and a number of stocks in that sector making significant gains over the several months into mid summer.

Obviously the sector has gotten "hammered" of late; in fact, year-to-date it has actually been the worst performing sector of the market. Even more so than more interest rate sensitive sectors such as utilities and REITs. As a result, most folks have avoided the sector like the plague.

I seriously think energy stocks are bottomed out.  I'm only 6% of my portfolio in energy stocks, and I just wish I had the guts to go 50%.  I am only 18% invested total right now after selling the 25% in Fidelity Select Pharmaceuticals.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on March 21, 2017, 10:29:13 am
I seriously think energy stocks are bottomed out.  I'm only 6% of my portfolio in energy stocks, and I just wish I had the guts to go 50%.  I am only 18% invested total right now after selling the 25% in Fidelity Select Pharmaceuticals.
Obviously I'm "butting in" here; however, no matter how much you might like a sector and/or how strongly you might believe in your "gut", don't EVER devote any where close to that much of your monies into a concentrated position(s). While you might win big, you could potentially lose even bigger. Then again, I suspect you're already very much aware of that possibility.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on March 21, 2017, 10:29:13 am
Energy is by far the most OVERSOLD and most underperforming sector year to date. Overall the sector is down around 12%; interestingly the Consumer Discretionary area has been one of the strongest. However, the outperformance of that latter sector, most exposed to wage issues and consumer spending, may have seen much of its run resulting in a trend reversal. One other thing, and not surprising considering the huge differential in performance between these two sectors, active money managers are most underweight energy and most overexposed to the consumer trade.

For what it's worth, the Bank of America energy analyst sees a potential "pop" back in oil prices to as much as $70/barrel before the end of the summer. While it seems unlikely that such a recovery would likely last for months on end, it does seem that the severely oversold state of "black gold" could be soon reversed.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on January 13, 2017, 10:36:26 am
I am buying these Fidelity bonds today, investing 2 1/2% of portfolio into each. 

1.  FGBFX  (bond)

2.  FIBAX  (bond)

3.  FINUX  (bond) SOLD 3/27/17

I sold the FINUX today.  I was up 3 1/2% in about ten weeks.  I'll take that on a bond.  Got two dividends along the way too which pushed the profit closer to 4%.

As for the other two, one is up 2.2% and the other up 0.3%.  Got a couple of dividends on them also so far.

I guess I'm a chicken, because I have 83% of my portfolio back in cash reserve.  The Fidelity Select Gold I recently bought like two weeks ago is up about 7%.  I wish I'd put 25% of port in and doubled to 50% instead of my chicken @ss 3% buy and a double for a chicken terd 6%. 

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on February 03, 2017, 12:23:35 pm
Just put in a modest buy for today with 4% of portfolio for FHKCX - Fidelity China Region.  It has a 90 day early redemption fee of 1 1/2%.

I just put in a sale for this fund for tomorrow. I am up 7.75%.  I have to pay a 1 1/2% early redemtion fee but that still leaves me with 6 1/4% profit in 6 weeks.  I'll take it.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on February 03, 2017, 09:06:27 am
Key Page
FGBFX - Fidelity Global Bond Fund.....................2.5% of portfloio....$8.68 per share.
Currently held

I just put in a sell for this fund for tomorrow too.  I am up a measely 2 1/2% since January, but with a bond fund that is fine.  It is low risk, low return, but adds to the profit line.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on March 28, 2017, 05:28:16 pm
I just put in a sell for this fund for tomorrow too.  I am up a measely 2 1/2% since January, but with a bond fund that is fine.  It is low risk, low return, but adds to the profit line.

Vantage 8 dude

"You can't score runs if your not at the plate taking some swings at the ball. Some pitches will be balls, some will be strikes; however, you ain't ever going to win a game by merely sitting in the dugout." Just a little truism and wisdom we can all heed.

BigBrandonAllenFan

I'm buying a modest 3 1/2% of portfolio in FNORX (Fidelity Nordic) today.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on March 29, 2017, 04:06:55 pm
"You can't score runs if your not at the plate taking some swings at the ball. Some pitches will be balls, some will be strikes; however, you ain't ever going to win a game by merely sitting in the dugout." Just a little truism and wisdom we can all heed.

That's a fact.  No guts no glory. 

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on March 31, 2017, 08:27:06 am
That's a fact.  No guts no glory.
Yep, and yet ANOTHER bit of wisdom for all of us to remember: "It's a total fool's game to try timing the market. If you can it is pure dumb luck; and you won't do so consistently".

Vantage 8 dude

My "sources" are telling me that the metals are about to break to new highs (likely toward the end of the month into May). However, they're also suggesting the better way to play this possible move higher are to buy some the INDIVIDUAL MINING STOCKS, especially some the "junior" mining stocks (does not mean someone like ABX or GG, which are two of the larger companies). These smaller companies, based anywhere from the U.S., Canada, South Africa or even Australia, are on a case-by-case basis are often more leveraged to the price of the commodity. It's also interesting to note that some of these companies have really struggled with financing and replenishing their deposits. This makes some of them vulnerable to potential buyouts from some of the larger producers.

The best "bang for the buck" will likely be the individual companies (have the names of several) and/or an ETF such as GDXJ or SLV. Obviously this pretty much excludes your traditional "no load" funds, even if they're available in your 401K or whatever. One more "word to the wise": The natural day-to-day volatility of such often make them "stomach churners"  so they're most certainly NOT for the "faint of heart". As such, one must also be ready to move in and out of these positions without regard to required holdings periods/deferred charges, etc.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on March 10, 2017, 01:06:49 pm
I am doubling this FSAGX investment from 3% to 6% of portfolio today, and again, in doing so I am buying back half of my current loss.  I'm currently down 3.8% on FSAGX and it appears gold may be bottoming at 1200.00  I hope so, but if gold continues to slide I can double to 12% to catch up if need be.
I am selling 100 percent of FSAGX today. Up 10.2 percent in total investment in 5 weeks since purchase. Gold price appears to have topped out.

sold!

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on March 10, 2017, 01:24:38 am
FSENX was up 0.4% for the day on my double up.  All in all, after my double, I now sit 1.65% down on total FSENX investment.  I like that a lot better than 3.7% down. 

The 3/7 buy was at 44.20 ps.  The 3/9 double up buy at 42.73 ps.  My average cost ps is 43.46, better known to me as my new break even point.  I can get that .73 cents back in one decent day.

I doubled up this double up again today on FSENX (Fidelity Select Energy).  The fund dropped today to 41.65.  Again, buying back half of my 4% down on present investment, my average cost per share is now 42.55.  I usually wait until down 5% or more to double, but I can't see oil going much lower.  If it does, I'll double again.  I actually think a rebound or at least a steady comes next week.  I may be wrong.

I'm still only 12% of portfolio in on FSENX so doubling once more if necessary is well within scope..  I actually like getting into these double-double situations.  This is exactly why I usually start modestly with a buy then advance as needed.  When the rebound comes the turn usually comes swiftly and profits are good.  Like I said, I won't hesitate to double again if the opportunity presents itself.

BigBrandonAllenFan

May 04, 2017, 03:19:27 pm #135 Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 03:41:58 pm by BigBrandonAllenFan
Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on April 21, 2017, 05:43:04 pm
I doubled up this double up again today on FSENX (Fidelity Select Energy).  The fund dropped today to 41.65.  Again, buying back half of my 4% down on present investment, my average cost per share is now 42.55.  I usually wait until down 5% or more to double, but I can't see oil going much lower.  If it does, I'll double again.  I actually think a rebound or at least a steady comes next week.  I may be wrong.

I'm still only 12% of portfolio in on FSENX so doubling once more if necessary is well within scope..  I actually like getting into these double-double situations.  This is exactly why I usually start modestly with a buy then advance as needed.  When the rebound comes the turn usually comes swiftly and profits are good.  Like I said, I won't hesitate to double again if the opportunity presents itself.

I half-doubled today on FSENX (Fidelity Select Energy).  I was in for 12% of portfolio and am now in 18%. https://www.google.com/#q=fsenx

Also, just bought 6% of portfolio in FSESX (Fidelity select Energy Services).

Crude oil is down 5% today to 45.48 per bbl.  If it keeps falling, I'll keep buying.

On another note, the Fid Sel Gold that I had bought and sold for appx 10% profit in 33 days as posted above, is now back down below my purchase price then.  I grabbed that clip and ran.  If gold dips below 1200.00 per ounce I'll buy it again.  And sell it again...For like the 15th time in the last 3 years.

Also on page one top, the FSESX I bought a week before the election and sold 5 weeks later for a 23% profit is the same FSESX I bought today.  It has dropped back in the range of that Nov 2016 buy..  I'm on it again. https://www.google.com/#q=fsesx  Playing the dips game.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on March 31, 2017, 08:26:30 am
I'm buying a modest 3 1/2% of portfolio in FNORX (Fidelity Nordic) today.

I sold this on May 1st for an 8 1/2% gain in 31 days.  I had to pay a 1 1/2% early redemption fee which gave me 7% net profit.  I wish I would have held a few more days.  It is up another 2 1/2% since I sold on May 1.

https://www.google.com/#q=fnorx

BigBrandonAllenFan

May 05, 2017, 06:53:35 pm #137 Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 07:36:40 pm by BigBrandonAllenFan
Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on May 04, 2017, 03:19:27 pm
I half-doubled today on FSENX (Fidelity Select Energy).  I was in for 12% of portfolio and am now in 18%. https://www.google.com/#q=fsenx

Also, just bought 6% of portfolio in FSESX (Fidelity select Energy Services).

Crude oil is down 5% today to 45.48 per bbl.  If it keeps falling, I'll keep buying.

On another note, the Fid Sel Gold that I had bought and sold for appx 10% profit in 33 days as posted above, is now back down below my purchase price then.  I grabbed that clip and ran.  If gold dips below 1200.00 per ounce I'll buy it again.  And sell it again...For like the 15th time in the last 3 years.

Also on page one top, the FSESX I bought a week before the election and sold 5 weeks later for a 23% profit is the same FSESX I bought today.  It has dropped back in the range of that Nov 2016 buy..  I'm on it again. https://www.google.com/#q=fsesx  Playing the dips game.

As it stands now, I hit the oil dips perfect yesterday.  Today on the first day after purchase I gained 2.8% and 2.4% on the two buys (FSESX and FSENX), as crude oil rebounded well today.

https://www.google.com/#q=fsesx
https://www.google.com/#q=fsenx

Now after 4 separate FSENX buys that began on March 7th, (buying back losses) I am now down 1.2% on the total investment.  I think I can cash 8 to 10% by mid June.  I hope. 

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on May 04, 2017, 03:19:27 pm
I half-doubled today on FSENX (Fidelity Select Energy).  I was in for 12% of portfolio and am now in 18%. https://www.google.com/#

I just doubled my total investment on FSENX from 18 percent of portfolio to 36 percent. I was down 8 percent on the already invested portion. Now only down 4 percent buying back half my loss with the double up today. When the upswing comes I should do well.

HawgWild

BigBrandonAllenFan

June 23, 2017, 09:24:31 am #140 Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 10:27:58 am by BigBrandonAllenFan
Quote from: HawgWild on June 20, 2017, 05:25:24 pm
So, you picked up some more FSENX?

Yes.  I doubled up.  Not any different than Warren Buffet's recent move with Apple.  Simply buy back half your losses by doubling.  Trick is never start on a stock heavy.  At least I don't.  I started in FSENX with 6% of portfolio.  I doubled, then I half-doubled, then I doubled again for a total of 38% of portfolio now in FSENX.

I also doubled up yesterday on FSESX (Fid Sel Energy SERVICES).  I was in for appx 6 %, doubled to appx 12%.  I was down 10% on my original purchase from about a month ago.  Now down only 5% on total purchase.

I love getting the double opportunities.  If I liked a stock at 10 dollars per share, I like it even more at 9 dollars per share.

FSENX and FSESX are the only two stocks I currently own.  I still have 50% of portfolio in cash reserve, with 38% FSENX and 12% FSESX.  I'll double again on FSENX if it keeps dropping far enough.  Energy isn't going anywhere.  I'll hang on it for a solid profit as long as needed.

A couple of years ago I doubled up 4 separate times on an original purchase of FSAGX (Gold) as it kept falling and I came out smelling like a rose about 8 months later.

HawgWild

Looks like you're 50% invested in one sector. Good luck.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on June 23, 2017, 09:24:31 am
Yes.  I doubled up.  Not any different than Warren Buffet's recent move with Apple.  Simply buy back half your losses by doubling.  Trick is never start on a stock heavy.  At least I don't.  I started in FSENX with 6% of portfolio.  I doubled, then I half-doubled, then I doubled again for a total of 38% of portfolio now in FSENX.

I also doubled up yesterday on FSESX (Fid Sel Energy SERVICES).  I was in for appx 6 %, doubled to appx 12%.  I was down 10% on my original purchase from about a month ago.  Now down only 5% on total purchase.

I love getting the double opportunities.  If I liked a stock at 10 dollars per share, I like it even more at 9 dollars per share.

FSENX and FSESX are the only two stocks I currently own.  I still have 50% of portfolio in cash reserve, with 38% FSENX and 12% FSESX.  I'll double again on FSENX if it keeps dropping far enough.  Energy isn't going anywhere.  I'll hang on it for a solid profit as long as needed.

A couple of years ago I doubled up 4 separate times on an original purchase of FSAGX (Gold) as it kept falling and I came out smelling like a rose about 8 months later.
If I may be so bold as to suggest: gold will remain very choppy and volatile throughout the rest of the summer and into early fall. Likely to have some significant rallies/declines during that period. However, I DO have an idea to work within this sector: take a look at several of the ETFs that invest in the junior gold miners (this area looks to be the potentially strongest). Rather than the larger GLD or IAU funds consider GDXJ and/or JNUG. As I just mentioned, the smaller gold mining stocks could/should react more positively to any rebound and recovery in the metal over the next several months. Good luck.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on June 23, 2017, 09:24:31 am

Appears that crude oil is attempting to bottom. This low $50 area has been the major support for the year; and while it's possible the price could have an "under cut" low, I would think no worse than $48-$49 would do it on the down side. Having said that, absent some sort of unexpected geo-political crisis involving the Middle East, it's also unlikely that crude would see a spike back into the upper $50s to around $60 anytime this year.

What we might have to see in order for energy prices to move higher on a sustained basis is for some of the excess inventory to be worked off. The only way that's probably going to happen is for either demand to soar, not very likely, or for some of the marginal shale producers (primarily responsible for the huge glut we're experiencing) to close their doors and reduce supply.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: HawgWild on June 23, 2017, 11:17:28 am
Looks like you're 50% invested in one sector. Good luck.

Yes I am.  Thank you.  I may need some luck.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on June 23, 2017, 12:28:21 pm
Appears that crude oil is attempting to bottom. This low $50 area has been the major support for the year; and while it's possible the price could have an "under cut" low, I would think no worse than $48-$49 would do it on the down side. Having said that, absent some sort of unexpected geo-political crisis involving the Middle East, it's also unlikely that crude would see a spike back into the upper $50s to around $60 anytime this year.

What we might have to see in order for energy prices to move higher on a sustained basis is for some of the excess inventory to be worked off. The only way that's probably going to happen is for either demand to soar, not very likely, or for some of the marginal shale producers (primarily responsible for the huge glut we're experiencing) to close their doors and reduce supply.

I think you are likely right on with this analysis, V8.

I had looked for oil to go up a little this summer, but it went the other way so far.  That's OK.  A rebound is usually a given in the oil market.  Just a matter of patience.

ricepig

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on June 24, 2017, 10:16:36 am
I think you are likely right on with this analysis, V8.

I had looked for oil to go up a little this summer, but it went the other way so far.  That's OK.  A rebound is usually a given in the oil market.  Just a matter of patience.

As I used to say when trading a commodity position, I've never been wrong, I've just run out of money to keep it, lol.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: ricepig on June 24, 2017, 12:35:45 pm
As I used to say when trading a commodity position, I've never been wrong, I've just run out of money to keep it, lol.
Obviously you were also the guy who also come up with the brilliant deduction that one never takes a lose until he sells for less than what he paid for an investment; then again, of course we also have the flip side of that.  ;) :) :D ;D 8) :P

Can you start publishing an financial/investment letter ??? Better yet, can you start a hedge fund so we can all benefit from this ??? 8)

ricepig

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on June 24, 2017, 05:22:52 pm
Obviously you were also the guy who also come up with the brilliant deduction that one never takes a lose until he sells for less than what he paid for an investment; then again, of course we also have the flip side of that.  ;) :) :D ;D 8) :P

Can you start publishing an financial/investment letter ??? Better yet, can you start a hedge fund so we can all benefit from this ??? 8)

You bet, Bernie, Charles, and myself will be running this fund, you'll soon get a prospectus from Ricepig Capital Fund, minimum investment of $1M.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: ricepig on June 25, 2017, 12:26:41 pm
You bet, Bernie, Charles, and myself will be running this fund, you'll soon get a prospectus from Ricepig Capital Fund, minimum investment of $1M.
With Bernie on board I HAVE to ask: how much, if any, of the monies entrusted by "suckers"..err.. investors will actually going into investments? I mean with Bern, who apparently didn't actually make a trade for investors for something like 40-45 years, it's most certainly NOT an insignificant question. BTW we'll watching your car purchases, home buys, and other such expenditures ;) 8) :P