Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Matt Corral flipped to Ole Miss? what the hell

Started by Hogwild, December 15, 2017, 10:08:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogwild

Matt Corral has thrown for over 10,000 yards & 100+ touchdowns.  He is the 3rd rated pocket passer in the nation, and  a top 10 overall recruit for the state of California. Corral has offers from Alabama, Michigan, Georgia, USC and UCLA. Had been committed to Florida, but with the coaching change he just flipped his commitment to Ole Miss and will report after the Army All-American game.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ole-miss-lands-huge-commitment-after-flipping-qb-matt-corral-from-florida/

What was the kid thinking?

Quote"I figured I wouldn't miss a beat if I went there from California. It's like home. The offense they run, it may not be what I've said in the past, but talking to people I trust and those I believe in, I know this won't be a bad decision for me. That offense will help me show off my talents on the biggest stage. Plus, and to top it all off, this is the SEC West."

California is just so similar to Mississippi.

Tusks

Looks like they're back in business.  Obviously unmarked bills this time.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

The NewEra

It's possible the Ole Miss boosters didn't get the message from the NCAA.

greenEGnHAWGS

Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

twistitup

Quote from: The NewEra on December 15, 2017, 10:10:25 am

New boosters
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

oldhog63

I was surprised by that too. Maybe a chance to play early and often. No telling what he was promised.

Tusks

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

LRHawg

The_Iceman

What do they have to lose? I guess the death penalty could be next for them.

Sho Nuff

That slap on the wrist was weak so they continue with business as usual.

Wildhog

As I've said, Ole Miss got a slap on the wrist, and they'll be back in no time. 

There are zero reasons that we shouldn't be cheating our asses off on the recruiting trail. 
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

farmhawg

Quote from: tusked on December 15, 2017, 10:10:04 am
Thats why they stayed internal.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

oldhog63

Quote from: tusked on December 15, 2017, 10:16:05 am
Don't be naive.  They paid to get him there.
You are probably right. If so, considering what they just went through, doing that is beyond stupid.

Grunt

The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

Pork Ranger

Quote from: Wildhog on December 15, 2017, 10:21:31 am
As I've said, Ole Miss got a slap on the wrist, and they'll be back in no time. 

There are zero reasons that we shouldn't be cheating our asses off on the recruiting trail.

Probably right. The FBI probe has been quiet for a little while. I was really hoping that would deter some of the corruption in collegiate athletics...

Torqued pork

The old family oriented line. Where have we heard that before?

FraggleHog

A few thoughts on this:

1. The NCAA has already dropped the hammer so maybe the boosters feel it can't get much worse if the do decide to continue paying players. (Although I do feel it can get much worse)

or

2. Mullen's system is much more effective with a dual threat QB which doesn't really fit well for a pro-style pocket passer. Maybe the kid simply wants to go somewhere he can truly show off his talent to NFL scouts, start immediately and enter the NFL draft as soon as possible.
Calling the Hogs from DFW

WPS007

sickboy

Quote from: Pork Ranger on December 15, 2017, 10:25:59 am
Probably right. The FBI probe has been quiet for a little while. I was really hoping that would deter some of the corruption in collegiate athletics...

It's still ongoing. It's not going away. Those types of investigations can take years and years.

Boarcephus

Quote from: The NewEra on December 15, 2017, 10:10:25 am

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'd thought that the NCAA was going to try and make an example out of Ole Miss and name the boosters who committed the violations.  In doing so this might deter boosters at other programs from doing likewise in the future.  Am I right or wrong on this??? 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

elksnort

Quote from: tusked on December 15, 2017, 10:10:04 am
Was thinking the same thing.

go hogues

Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

rljjr

Quote from: FraggleHog on December 15, 2017, 10:28:27 am
A few thoughts on this:

1. The NCAA has already dropped the hammer so maybe the boosters feel it can't get much worse if the do decide to continue paying players. (Although I do feel it can get much worse)

or

2. Mullen's system is much more effective with a dual threat QB which doesn't really fit well for a pro-style pocket passer. Maybe the kid simply wants to go somewhere he can truly show off his talent to NFL scouts, start immediately and enter the NFL draft as soon as possible.

But they have Te'Amu or however you spell it. No guarantee he doesn't sit number 2 for a year or two.

Grunt

Quote from: sickboy on December 15, 2017, 10:33:38 am
It’s still ongoing. It’s not going away. Those types of investigations can take years and years.
...and waste billions of dollars.
The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

Hogwild

Quote from: rljjr on December 15, 2017, 10:47:51 am
But they have Te'Amu or however you spell it. No guarantee he doesn't sit number 2 for a year or two.

He was a JR transfer and will be a senior next season.  So Corral won't even start next year unless their is an injury.

Calling All Hogs

NCAA sanctions are just a cost of doing business for Ole Miss.

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

The NewEra

Quote from: Boarcephus on December 15, 2017, 10:41:44 am
Correct me if I'm wrong but I'd thought that the NCAA was going to try and make an example out of Ole Miss and name the boosters who committed the violations.  In doing so this might deter boosters at other programs from doing likewise in the future.  Am I right or wrong on this???

Sorry, but I can't answer whether or not they named the boosters publicly.

Wildhog

They were *supposed* to disassociate themselves from the boosters, but I don't think they were named publicly.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Dark Helmet Hog

searkhogfan

With all the transfers.  They've made a lot of room under their salary cap..

Mjs84

Very suspicious indeed.  His bs statement makes it even more likely that Ole miss is up their dirty old tricks again.  The one team old Bert could beat!

DeltaBoy

It will be like that  10 Auburn team a decade ago .
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hoggish1

No, none of these are the reasons.  The kid just loves the allure and history of col. reb...

Mjs84

Quote from: searkhogfan on December 15, 2017, 11:16:51 am
With all the transfers.  They've made a lot of room under their salary cap..

I'm reading this and laughing, but the whole country should know by now, this isn't just a joke, it's the absolute truth!  Some teams just have ZERO integrity. It won't be LONG until they get slapped on the wrist again.

Piggfoot

Mullins will be looking hard at this.  While I'm thinking about it, why is Mullins involved in other play for pay players ie Scam Newton. I'm beginning to think Mullins is not as clean as some may think.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: tusked on December 15, 2017, 10:16:05 am
Don't be naive.  They paid to get him there.
in his interview he didnt even try to really hide it.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

bkjbearcat

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 15, 2017, 10:19:58 am
What do they have to lose? I guess the death penalty could be next for them.

That's never going to happen.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

bkjbearcat

B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

LRHawg

Quote from: Piggfoot on December 15, 2017, 11:33:23 am
Mullins will be looking hard at this.  While I'm thinking about it, why is Mullins involved in other play for pay players ie Scam Newton. I'm beginning to think Mullins is not as clean as some may think.

MSU is just if not more dirty than Ole Miss, they just didn't have a high-profile recruit come out on NFL Draft Day and straight up state he was paid to come there. Left the NCAA no choice but to slap their wrist 3 years later.

MFG

UF doesnt want Matt, theres big character issues. He showed up to his USC official visit drunk. Corral also isnt the running between the tackles type QB Mullen would want.

hog of steele

Quote from: LRHawg on December 15, 2017, 12:05:17 pm
MSU is just if not more dirty than Ole Miss, they just didn't have a high-profile recruit come out on NFL Draft Day and straight up state he was paid to come there. Left the NCAA no choice but to slap their wrist 3 years later.

This was literally my favorite thing that ever happened on a draft day.

HamGrowsOnTrees

Quote from: Hogwild on December 15, 2017, 10:08:33 am
Matt Corral has thrown for over 10,000 yards & 100+ touchdowns.  He is the 3rd rated pocket passer in the nation, and  a top 10 overall recruit for the state of California. Corral has offers from Alabama, Michigan, Georgia, USC and UCLA. Had been committed to Florida, but with the coaching change he just flipped his commitment to Ole Miss and will report after the Army All-American game.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ole-miss-lands-huge-commitment-after-flipping-qb-matt-corral-from-florida/

What was the kid thinking?

California is just so similar to Mississippi.

I missed it... Didnt realize the boosters and bagmen were fired at Ole Miss too.

cardinalandwhite

You go, Ole Miss! Way to get right back on that horse!
"Wise people think all they say; fools say all they think." - Anonymous

BigSexyHog

I would keep handing out bags as well if nothing bad happened.   
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

Been10Hog

Shea Patterson needs to spill the beans on them. He's transferring. Number one dual threat recruit out of Texas then IMG academy in Florida chose Oxford, MS. BS

WaltKowalski

Honestly these guys should get a pay check of some sort. It can go to a payee or whatever but they are going to play for money. At least we can teach them how to file taxes before they graduate.

rude1

Clearly they have figured out where the train got off the track and have closed all the leaks to get back in business stronger than ever!!!!

HogHomer

Quote from: WaltKowalski on December 15, 2017, 04:11:40 pm
Honestly these guys should get a pay check of some sort. It can go to a payee or whatever but they are going to play for money. It least we can teach them how to file taxes before they graduate.
Full tuition paid, food paid for, housing check every month. State of the art work out facilities and the University's best tutors. They are paid. If they are willing to get rid of all of that so they can get a paycheck then I'd be all for it. They would have to learn how to budget and everything else most college kids have to learn.