Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pick your DC

Started by Pork Twain, December 08, 2017, 10:20:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

He said it was going to be a top DC, so...

Gene Chizik
10 (10.4%)
John Chavis
6 (6.3%)
Brent Venables
55 (57.3%)
Vance Bedford
0 (0%)
Bo Pelini
3 (3.1%)
Todd Graham
1 (1%)
Alex Grinch
5 (5.2%)
Pete Golden
2 (2.1%)
Marion Hobby
3 (3.1%)
Jim Leavitt
4 (4.2%)
Frito Pie
7 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 95

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HogNTX on December 10, 2017, 08:55:43 am
A qualitative measure of best could be the Broyles award winners which would match Wally's last tweet as a hint. I'm thinking we may be talking to Bud Because that would definitely shock everyone!

Bud Foster has been at Va Tech since 1987 (30 years) when came there with Frank Beamer from Murray State. He was the DC from 1995-2015 and beginning in 2016 he is not only the DC but the AHC as well. I would think that if he had aspirations to become a HC he could have made his move before this and if he wanted to move on from Va Tech he has certainly had his offers. In 2015 he said he wouldn't leave Va Tech because he was too invested in the school. In 2016 he pledged to stay and work with Fuentes because he felt bigger things were on the horizon for them. Including various incentives, 3 years ago (2014) Foster made 1.369 million. What he is making now that the AHC title has been added isn't clear, but he has plenty of money and since he doesn't appear to have any desire to be a HC or DC anywhere other than Va Tech, I'd say he is a long shot and even more so than Venables.
Go Hogs Go!

HotlantaHog

Surprised Kevin Steele is not on the list. Was at Clemson 2009-2011 -- would have overlapped with Morris for a year at Clemson. He's since been DC at LSU and now at Auburn.

His success at Clemson was limited by the available talent, which was getting better and has continued to get better under Venables -- the Auburn defenses have looked great, as we know.

I don't think Venables has any likelihood of moving. Steele on the other hand could have mixed feelings about either Auburn or Malzahn -- as we all know, Malzahn was close to getting fired last year. If Steele is good friends with Morris (and I have no information, but it wouldn't be a reach to suggest they could be), this would make a lot of sense.

Steele has coached at Alabama under Saban and in the past at Oklahoma State, Baylor and Florida State ... No idea where he focused re recruiting, but obviously Oklahoma, Texas and Florida would be target areas for Arkansas (presumably Alabama less so.) Also coached under Dabo at Clemson, so knows the culture that Morris presumably is trying to build.