Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CBB Buyout 11.8M

Started by BigK_HogHeaven, December 01, 2017, 03:20:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on December 02, 2017, 07:14:46 am
Sure, but his salary is guaranteed by the RF. Anybody working for the UofA, ASU, UCA, who makes more than the line item amount allowed by the state, is paid additional funds from a private source.

You really think you had to tell me that?

Mellon Collie

Quote from: HogBreath on December 02, 2017, 04:51:43 am
Bobby won big...Bert lost big....perhaps you can see how those are not alike?

And Long never should never have been allowed to handle Jessica gate, he obviously lacked the skill needed for such.  He was way out of his league and screwed the pooch from can to can't.

Mr. Long was a pretender.

LZH

lasthog

Quote from: Shoat on December 01, 2017, 05:04:43 pm
Jeff Long should be flogged in the Fayetteville City Square, live on tv.

Just put a camera in his basement.

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on December 02, 2017, 07:21:52 am
You really think you had to tell me that?

You really think you had to ask the question?

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on December 02, 2017, 07:48:54 am
You really think you had to ask the question?

Apparently. That guy has been blowing the JL/BB horn for months just to stir the pot. He went after someone so I threw that out there. Besides, if an AD gets out of hand isn't The University of Arkansas who he answers to? The RF may pay his salary, but he works for (on paper, anyway) the university.

hawgon

I don't know how and why they paid him $11.8 million unless there was some additional contract with the Foundation.  The contract is pretty clear.  It should have been around $6 million.

jkstock04

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on December 01, 2017, 07:50:27 pm
This was a hoot to read.  CBB robbed us huh?  Pretty sure he negotiated a contract, and was not the one that broke it.  Have a look at the sec west coach's salaries, Out of the 7 he was the second lowest paid.  Are you going to be griping if we get Malzahn as I'm sure his salary will prob be around 6 mil per year with an enormous buyout too.  The kiddies at Christmas was the cherry on top (I'm sure you were being sincere but seriously all these coaches are only getting richer)
That's fine. But the adamant 'I'll do anything I can for the University of Arkansas from this point forward" and "he's such a nice guy" mantra is all a bunch of horse ****.

Looks to me it's obvious in his mind he did all he could for the football program and nobody else could've done better.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

hogcards

Quote from: hawgon on December 02, 2017, 08:11:57 am
I don't know how and why they paid him $11.8 million unless there was some additional contract with the Foundation.  The contract is pretty clear.  It should have been around $6 million.

Yea, this is clearly a false report.  That is unless, the prior reports and the actual posting of his contract were completely fabricated.
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: jkstock04 on December 02, 2017, 08:13:47 am
That's fine. But the adamant 'I'll do anything I can for the University of Arkansas from this point forward" and "he's such a nice guy" mantra is all a bunch of horse ****.

Looks to me it's obvious in his mind he did all he could for the football program and nobody else could've done better.
I believe the first part about helping out.  Do you honestly think from what we've seen of CBB that if the new HC gave him a call he wouldnt take it?  Ex.  Hey coach B, Im evaluating your staff, what can you tell me about Lunney?  Now is he going to mow the fields on his snapper for free, not likely.

My point is its football sometimes it works out sometimes it doesn't.  These contracts are out of this world, it's just easier to feel good about it if you are winning.  Nobody is getting robbed no matter how out of touch with the real world it is.  I have a family member that works for the state, I can assure you they will never see percentage raises like that of JCP and 99% of us will never be millionaires like these coaches. 

hoglady

Quote from: HogBreath on December 02, 2017, 04:51:43 am
Bobby won big...Bert lost big....perhaps you can see how those are not alike?

And Long never should never have been allowed to handle Jessica gate, he obviously lacked the skill needed for such.  He was way out of his league and screwed the pooch from can to can't.

What I didn't understand on the Petrino fiasco.
It seems accepted knowledge that Long offered Petrino stipulations for him to keep his job and he balked - then changed his mind too late.
Jeff Long was the boss - why didn't he just say here's what's going to happen - fines, suspension, whatever.
If Petrino didn't like it - then he could quit.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hogcards

Long and Bielema presided over the worst era for college football in the state if Arkansas.   That's a fact, so regardless of these morons buyouts, be happy they're both gone. 
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

hawgon

If you actually read it appears that the athletic department is on the hook for the $5.9 covered in the contract and the Foundation DID have an additional personal services contract that they would not release to the press because they are a private organization.

Why would they do that?  My guess is either it was a really poorly written document over at the Foundation that had contradictory language in it that didn't adequately reference and incorporate the employment agreement or they flat out guaranteed him the $15 million dollar amount.  Why would they do that?  Well, the first instance would be a mistake.  The second would have been an intentional end around around FOIA requirements and the BOT because they knew people would have balked at a buyout that high.

Who knows.  It seems nothing is straightforward these days.

Mellon Collie

Justagp

Hogwild

Quote from: ricepig on December 02, 2017, 07:14:46 am
Sure, but his salary is guaranteed by the RF. Anybody working for the UofA, ASU, UCA, who makes more than the line item amount allowed by the state, is paid additional funds from a private source.

yes, that's how it is in most state run schools across the country. In CBB case I believe I read that the athletic department is on the hook for less than $6M, the rest RF/private funds.

ramonday

EastexHawg

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on December 02, 2017, 12:12:25 am
But you wanted to keep BP who lied to his wife, his boss, and the entire State of Arkansas.  Also, every coach's contract is reviewed and approved by the RF which is paid by private donations. They wanted BB and Long fired and they new what it would cost. So, they had a choice to make. What I don't understand is the misplaced hate for JL and BB and not the RF. They honored their contract.

Try reading for comprehension.  My point is that a few weeks ago when Long's supporters, including possibly the athletic department itself, were trying to generate support for Kermit the Program Destroyer the story was circulated that no, Bielema's buyout wasn't the astronomical number that was being reported.  It was right there in the contract that Long negotiated that it was actually less than $6 million.

All the Long detractors who had been complaining about a big buyout were malcontents who had no idea what they were talking about.

That was obviously all a lie and a PR campaign to calm the masses.  How can anyone look at what is happening now and not realize that?

hog.goblin

Well something was finally passed in the wee hours of Saturday morning.  I'll guess we'll find out what's in it.

This was not:

The Senate rejected an amendment offered by Senators Marco Rubio of Florida and Mike Lee of Utah, both Republicans, that would have increased the child tax credit for low-income families and pay for it by nudging up the corporate tax rate.

This was:

Ms. Collins secured was adding in a $10,000 property tax deduction into the Senate bill. Ms. Collins tweeted that she was "delighted" with the move.

ricepig

Quote from: Hogwild on December 02, 2017, 10:49:11 am

yes, that's how it is in most state run schools across the country. In CBB case I believe I read that the athletic department is on the hook for less than $6M, the rest RF/private funds.

The RF is on the hook for all of it, they are the third party guarantee listed in every Arkansas coach's contract.

Wooderson

I don't know why colleges don't write the contracts in a manner that would allow them to reassign highly paid employees.  Guarantee most coaches would find employment quick if that were the case.  Bret would be a great director of player development at the UofA.  Bet he would tire quickly of a normal job and being managed.  Would get that itch to coach again real quick.
Give me liberty, or give me death!

Iwastherein1969

I'm sure the GOBN knew exactly what the buyout was going to be and apparently it didn't faze them one iota.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

HawgWyld

Quote from: lasthog on December 02, 2017, 07:33:27 am
Just put a camera in his basement.

+1 just because that's darned funny...

LZH

I still can't believe that no one caught my Pretenders gag....think, you middle-aged bastards!

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: EastexHawg on December 02, 2017, 11:05:16 am
Try reading for comprehension.  My point is that a few weeks ago when Long's supporters, including possibly the athletic department itself, were trying to generate support for Kermit the Program Destroyer the story was circulated that no, Bielema's buyout wasn't the astronomical number that was being reported.  It was right there in the contract that Long negotiated that it was actually less than $6 million.

All the Long detractors who had been complaining about a big buyout were malcontents who had no idea what they were talking about.

That was obviously all a lie and a PR campaign to calm the masses.  How can anyone look at what is happening now and not realize that?
Did Long ever say what the buyout was? If not, he never lied about the amount. Also, did anyone from the athletic department say what it was? Nope.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

Melancholy_Pigg

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on December 03, 2017, 01:25:58 pm
Did Long ever say what the buyout was? If not, he never lied about the amount. Also, did anyone from the athletic department say what it was? Nope.

The whole thing is a lie insofar as the foundation won't reveal the actual buyout amount.

The end result is that we really have no idea what the buyout is going to be before it occurs because the contract controlling the amounts over the state allowable is private through the foundation and legally unobtainable through a FOIA.   

Legal and ethical (Integrity) are 2 separate and distinct things in this situation.  The foundation should not hide the contract from the public even if legally they are entitled to do so. 

The buyout was $15 mil.  Then it was $4.9 you dummies look at the contract.  Bielema, wonderful human being that he is of course,  took the position he was owed $15.8 by virtue of the secret contract that us dummies didn't know about.

This should eliminate any future threads on any buyout speculation.  We simply won't know until it is paid and has to be disclosed.

This is an arrangement ripe for abuse.

What is Jeff Long's buyout?  Does he have a super secret contract as well?

See my point?   

Really pushing people here with these shenanigans.  There is apparently not much oversight to this other than trusting someone's Integrity.  That does not work in the real world.

That bunch did a number on us.  I am confounded we're still prattling on with this great guy and Integrity talk.  Looks like they worked the system to rob us blind.

wildhogman

Quote from: Melancholy_Pigg on December 10, 2017, 02:10:53 am
The whole thing is a lie insofar as the foundation won't reveal the actual buyout amount.

The end result is that we really have no idea what the buyout is going to be before it occurs because the contract controlling the amounts over the state allowable is private through the foundation and legally unobtainable through a FOIA.   

Legal and ethical (Integrity) are 2 separate and distinct things in this situation.  The foundation should not hide the contract from the public even if legally they are entitled to do so. 

The buyout was $15 mil.  Then it was $4.9 you dummies look at the contract.  Bielema, wonderful human being that he is of course,  took the position he was owed $15.8 by virtue of the secret contract that us dummies didn't know about.

This should eliminate any future threads on any buyout speculation.  We simply won't know until it is paid and has to be disclosed.

This is an arrangement ripe for abuse.

What is Jeff Long's buyout?  Does he have a super secret contract as well?

See my point?   

Really pushing people here with these shenanigans.  There is apparently not much oversight to this other than trusting someone's Integrity.  That does not work in the real world.

That bunch did a number on us.  I am confounded we're still prattling on with this great guy and Integrity talk.  Looks like they worked the system to rob us blind.

I keep seeing the word "US" thrown out a lot. 20,000 plus members on HV. No wonder the  foundation is rich with all these people contributing millions to it.   Bottom line, if your not in that million plus contribution club, you don't sit on the BOT, you don't have Jerry Jones, Tyson, Stephens, or any of the GOB's on speed dial.  Then you are not one of the "US".
I am not one of them and have no dog in the fight. I'll just say this, if Long got that much and CBB did as well, oh well. The PTB, BOT, BOGN, or someone that represents them should have over seen the whole thing better. But I don't feel badly for them. Their fault not Longs or CBB or mine or your's.  Kind of like feeling badly for Mcdonalds when they got sued for serving coffee too hot and a lady was burned by it and sued.  If it takes losing millions to make you change your business practices, shame on you.
If this makes the RF rethink the oversight and contracts, then I suppose it was good. But I am not going to feel badly for, or sorry for either side in this equation.

jkstock04

Quote from: wildhogman on December 10, 2017, 07:51:06 am
I keep seeing the word "US" thrown out a lot. 20,000 plus members on HV. No wonder the  foundation is rich with all these people contributing millions to it.   Bottom line, if your not in that million plus contribution club, you don't sit on the BOT, you don't have Jerry Jones, Tyson, Stephens, or any of the GOB's on speed dial.  Then you are not one of the "US".
I am not one of them and have no dog in the fight. I'll just say this, if Long got that much and CBB did as well, oh well. The PTB, BOT, BOGN, or someone that represents them should have over seen the whole thing better. But I don't feel badly for them. Their fault not Longs or CBB or mine or your's.  Kind of like feeling badly for Mcdonalds when they got sued for serving coffee too hot and a lady was burned by it and sued.  If it takes losing millions to make you change your business practices, shame on you.
If this makes the RF rethink the oversight and contracts, then I suppose it was good. But I am not going to feel badly for, or sorry for either side in this equation.
This is a fair point and I agree with it. End of the day some rich guys had to write a check. If they thought Bret Bielema and Jeff Long were such an awesome investment in 2014...well, maybe they need to relook some strategies.

Still funny to me thinking about the integrity of the situation. If you wanna talk about integrity....if I were hired and turned out to be a complete failure, and 100% responsible for tanking said institutions status, I don't see myself making them pay me restitution money on the way out. Everyone wants to melt over Bielemas kind words...lol ya if all I got were pats on the back and 12 million bucks for being the worst coach since 1940 I imagine I could spare a few kind words on the way out too.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

GoHogzzGo

$11 mil in year 5?! Definitely makes me think less of Jeff Long. And I was a JL guy.

Also how did the media have his so wrong? First it was like $15mil then it was $5mil, now it is $11mil.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

ricepig

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on December 10, 2017, 08:32:02 am
$11 mil in year 5?! Definitely makes me think less of Jeff Long. And I was a JL guy.

Also how did the media have his so wrong? First it was like $15mil then it was $5mil, now it is $11mil.

The media didn't have access to the RF personal services contract, we don't know the language in it.

Melancholy_Pigg

Quick question - is there a super secret Razorback Foundation contract with Jeff Long?

Also - just for clarification - do our little meaningless Razorback Foundation donations NOT go to the coaches buyout?  What about the buyout of his staff?

It seems like one of the comments above implies that only $1 million dollar + donor money goes to Bielema buyout (and maybe a super secret Jeff Long buyout as well?).

I don't think enough attention is being paid to this issue - this is very troubling.  It now appears that the SNAFU that we wound up in wasn't really a SNAFU at all.  It is the logical outcome of how this system is set-up.

hawgon

Is almost as if one contract was done knowing that it would be subject to public scrutiny and another, the controlling one, was done knowing it wouldn't be subject to said scrutiny. 

ricepig

Quote from: Melancholy_Pigg on December 10, 2017, 04:32:04 pm
Quick question - is there a super secret Razorback Foundation contract with Jeff Long?

Also - just for clarification - do our little meaningless Razorback Foundation donations NOT go to the coaches buyout?  What about the buyout of his staff?

It seems like one of the comments above implies that only $1 million dollar + donor money goes to Bielema buyout (and maybe a super secret Jeff Long buyout as well?).

I don't think enough attention is being paid to this issue - this is very troubling.  It now appears that the SNAFU that we wound up in wasn't really a SNAFU at all.  It is the logical outcome of how this system is set-up.

RF funds are used for salaries above the state line item maximum, and for buyouts. Long had a personal service contract with the RF as well.

rhames

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on December 10, 2017, 08:32:02 am

Hate him or not, Bo always said it was around 12MM
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.