Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

To "Hail" With Caesar, Burn Rome To The Ground

Started by The NewEra, October 17, 2017, 09:34:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The NewEra

I get it!  Seemingly 90% of the fan base, myself included, believe Bielema needs to go.  It's what happens next that appears to be a real crap shoot.  A person would have to be in total denial to say the actual foundation of the program isn't much better off now than when he came here.  So what is really lacking?  I believe it's primarily two positions.  The head coach with an understanding of what it takes to be successful in this division and a plan to get us there.  Second would be the one position that's holding this team back and that's a world class offensive line coach.

I've seen all sorts of names floated around on who should be the next coach.  The real stickler comes when you throw in all of the variables: 
A track record of success in comparable programs; Desire to come to Arkansas; SEC Level Experience, Desire to coach in the SEC West against Saban's machine; Ability to recruit to Arkansas; Someone who understands Arkansas, the culture and it's uniqueness; Ability to install an up tempo, spread offense; Field a defense that is aggressive, can stop the run, play fast, hit hard and cover; They need to be able to recruit well and at the very least from Texas, Louisiana and mine the state of Arkansas.  Lastly, someone who motivates the players and inspires them to play at peak performance at all times.

Based on all of the prerequisites I've laid out and even if you only agree with around 80% of them, what I've seen as potential candidates make me believe any hire is at best a 50/50 shot to work out.  When you throw in all of the coaching changes, change in culture, style of play and gaining buy-in from the players it's probably at least 4-5 years for success, assuming it's the miracle worker we dream of.  To me, that's a scary thought and it's akin to burning Rome because you hate Caesar.

Let's look at what we have on the staff right now. 

Defensively we have a former head coach who has experience in the SEC.  He's in the first year of implementing a new 3-4 defense and if you're honest, this defense is much better than last years, and getting better each week.  I believe our head coach has meddled too much on both sides of the ball, but if left alone to continue building this defense out the way he wants I believe Paul Rhodes will have this group playing real well by next year.  He's a great recruiter, his players love him and love to play for him.  The only thing I would ask of him is to bring more pressure. I like the job the rest of the defensive coaches have been doing also.  Paul knows what it's like to compete in the SEC and he now has had two full years to acclimate himself to Arkansas and our traditions and uniqueness. 

Offensively, we have another former head coach who now has three years in the SEC.  We've seen what Enos offense can do when he has an offensive line to work with.  We've also seen how he can develop quarterbacks and likes to throw the ball around when he has the receivers and is left alone to do it.  Enos kids like playing for him and he's also a very good recruiter.  We have a good group of TE's, WR's, RB's and the QB situation behind Kelley looks sound.  What he doesn't have is a good offensive line coach.  It could and has been argued that if we were just playing our best five the offensive line would be at least decent.  I would argue that all of Arkansas offensive problems this year have been because of the mishandling of the offensive line position by both Anderson and Bielema.  That deficiency has also had some negative affect on the defense, but Rhodes has managed to keep his players focused on their side of the ball to the most part.  I believe Enos could and would install a potent offensive scheme, given the freedom and liberty to do so without meddling from the head coach and given an offensive line that was decent.

I think we have a lot more talent on this team than people are willing to recognize.  Certainly we need to upgrade each class, but no new coach is going to change what we already have on the team.  Properly utilizing the talent we do have is paramount. 

Special Teams:  Never in the history of Razorback Football do I remember us having a five year stretch of such poor special teams performance.  This is a position where I think we need to hire a special teams guru who will make this unit a weapon for us instead of a liability across the board.

Now, I've outlined my case so let me summarize.  With the exception of Bielema and Anderson I think we have great talent at all coaching positions.  We have the SEC experience both coaching and recruiting on this staff already and a staff that understands what it means to coach at Arkansas, both the positives and the challenges.  If we retain this staff we retain the positive culture and other foundation positives that have been built over the past five years.  Not all in Razorback Football is bad right now.  The leadership at the very top is the problem.  Let's not burn Rome to the ground to rid ourselves of Caesar. 

Radical Ideas: 
Co-Head coaches?  Now wouldn't that set the sports world spinning?
Promote one of the guys we have to head coach.  I'm sure Hogville would come unglued with that move.
Bring in someone (with strong ties to Arkansas) like a Tubberville to assume the head coach responsibilities, but free up the coordinators to do what they do best.

Obviously, I don't have any real good answers to the head coach issue, but I do feel this strongly.  If we get rid of the staff we do have in it's entirety we are probably doing the program more harm than good, at least over the next 4-5 years, and I've seen nothing in today's (I want it now) society that leads me to believe a new coach will be given more than three years before half of the fan base is screaming for their heads once again if they struggle to rebuild at a rapid pace.  Any new coach coming in without experience at Arkansas is going to have a two year learning curve at the least.

O.K., Hogville, light me up  :)

NoogaHog

I agree with most of this. I like both of our coordinators and I think that if they want, they will both be head coaches again. However, as was discussed on another thread (or twenty), I don't know of any way to get rid of the head coach and the Oline coach and keep the rest of the staff intact.

If we brought a new coach in, he would bring his own staff.

Also, I don't know these men and their interactions and egos. If you promote one of the coordinators, does the other one stick around? I really don't know, but unless they were really close, I would think not.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

Hogwild

I think we have a lot more talent on this team than people are willing to recognize.

I'm not sure if that is true.  Before this season when all of the national experts were saying this was a 5 or 6 win team, everyone on here disagreed.  We have all the talent to win 8 or 9 games, I kept reading.

But on the field South Carolina, TCU, A&M, all seemed to be faster and more physical then our team.  I think of that quote "we are what our record says were are."

The NewEra

Quote from: NoogaHog on October 17, 2017, 10:42:43 am
I agree with most of this. I like both of our coordinators and I think that if they want, they will both be head coaches again. However, as was discussed on another thread (or twenty), I don't know of any way to get rid of the head coach and the Oline coach and keep the rest of the staff intact.

If we brought a new coach in, he would bring his own staff.

Also, I don't know these men and their interactions and egos. If you promote one of the coordinators, does the other one stick around? I really don't know, but unless they were really close, I would think not.

You make great points.

Quote from: Hogwild on October 17, 2017, 10:59:50 am
I'm not sure if that is true.  Before this season when all of the national experts were saying this was a 5 or 6 win team, everyone on here disagreed.  We have all the talent to win 8 or 9 games, I kept reading.

But on the field South Carolina, TCU, A&M, all seemed to be faster and more physical then our team.  I think of that quote "we are what our record says were are."

I've lost any faith in Bielema to play the best players.  Most coaches in this league will play freshmen and allow them to learn and grow.  Bielema is quite hesitant to play freshmen in most cases.  Then you have T.J. Hammonds for example who ran twice against SC, for 10 and 12 yards and that's it.  They talk all the time about getting him more carries and it doesn't happen.  I think there are other gamers on the team not getting the opportunity.  Another example is Wallace just playing last week for the first time this year.  I believe there are others with talent and not playing.

hoglady

Pretty simple to me - Bottom line is Bret Bielema needs to be fired.

Whoever gets hired to replace him needs to hire his own guys.
I'm not concerned with what happens to Bielema's assistant coaches.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

The NewEra

Quote from: hoglady on October 17, 2017, 11:28:57 am

My concerns are not taking another step backward and maintaining some semblance of continuity. 

Hogwild

Quote from: The NewEra on October 17, 2017, 11:20:57 am
You make great points.

I've lost any faith in Bielema to play the best players.  Most coaches in this league will play freshmen and allow them to learn and grow.  Bielema is quite hesitant to play freshmen in most cases.  Then you have T.J. Hammonds for example who ran twice against SC, for 10 and 12 yards and that's it.  They talk all the time about getting him more carries and it doesn't happen.  I think there are other gamers on the team not getting the opportunity.  Another example is Wallace just playing last week for the first time this year.  I believe there are others with talent and not playing.

To back up your point, read in the paper on Sunday, that LSU played 27 freshman against #10 Auburn, and won the game.

Michael D Huff AIA

My question is this:  Does an incoming new coach HAVE to have ties to the region or does he need to "understand the area"?  I ask this because Leach has turned around the Washington State program.  Is he from there?  Wasn't he coaching in Texas prior?  Urban Meyer went from Utah to Florida to Ohio State.  He's had success everywhere he's been regardless of geography.  James Franklin at Penn State has Vanderbilt and the Penn State as his head coaching stops.  Not a lot of regional similarity there either.

My point is that a good hire brings two things in this order: 1) good exposure 2) recruits.  Players want to go where the buzz is, so the right high profile hire will generate that.  Recruits will follow.  Players want to go to a place where they will get national exposure (TV), win championships, and/or get drafted.

The only way to get this exposure I speak of is to get a proven, D1 coach to leave wherever and come to Fayetteville.  No up and coming assistant is going to give us what we need.  That takes facilities, which we have, and dollars, which we have.  Remember, Dabo Swinney coaches at a National Championship winning program at Clemson in a town where the college enrollment is larger than the town it resides in.  Coaches will go where the opportunity is best.

It's going to take a James Franklin, Mike Leach, Jeff Brohm, or Mike Gundy (or someone like these guys) to hit the home run that I'm talking about.

The NewEra

Quote from: Michael D Huff AIA on October 17, 2017, 11:53:02 am
My question is this:  Does an incoming new coach HAVE to have ties to the region or does he need to "understand the area"?  I ask this because Leach has turned around the Washington State program.  Is he from there?  Wasn't he coaching in Texas prior?  Urban Meyer went from Utah to Florida to Ohio State.  He's had success everywhere he's been regardless of geography.  James Franklin at Penn State has Vanderbilt and the Penn State as his head coaching stops.  Not a lot of regional similarity there either.

My point is that a good hire brings two things in this order: 1) good exposure 2) recruits.  Players want to go where the buzz is, so the right high profile hire will generate that.  Recruits will follow.  Players want to go to a place where they will get national exposure (TV), win championships, and/or get drafted.

The only way to get this exposure I speak of is to get a proven, D1 coach to leave wherever and come to Fayetteville.  No up and coming assistant is going to give us what we need.  That takes facilities, which we have, and dollars, which we have.  Remember, Dabo Swinney coaches at a National Championship winning program at Clemson in a town where the college enrollment is larger than the town it resides in.  Coaches will go where the opportunity is best.

It's going to take a James Franklin, Mike Leach, Jeff Brohm, or Mike Gundy (or someone like these guys) to hit the home run that I'm talking about.

I think it's paramount the new coach at a minimum understand the area.  Some might argue they must have ties to the area and it would be hard to to argue against them.

The last part of your post I really agree with.  If we bring in a new coach and expect great success it needs to be someone of stature.  Of the ones you mentioned above, I would love to see James Franklin.  He has just the type of successful record I would look for.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

The NewEra

Seebs

Last time I remember the call to keep the assistants intact was during the Jonnelle hiring because that staff was so dandy.

Let the new coach erase the blackboard, clap out the erasers, wash down the blackboard, then pull down the friggin blackboard, shatter it and buy a new blackboard.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

CPO Hog

I agree with your coordinator comments.

After watching the BAMA game plan, I'm wondering if CBB finally realized "his" plan isn't going to work and out of desperation he's letting the coordinators have full control. OR, if he was directed to give the game to the coordinators???

A new look and 5 or 6 more wins and CBB keeps his job.

The NewEra

Quote from: Seebs on October 17, 2017, 12:46:52 pm
Last time I remember the call to keep the assistants intact was during the Jonnelle hiring because that staff was so dandy.

Let the new coach erase the blackboard, clap out the erasers, wash down the blackboard, then pull down the friggin blackboard, shatter it and buy a new blackboard.

In my opinion, the only way that will work here is they hire a big time name with one hell of a resume' of success.  I hope they will be willing to spend the money to do just that.  It won't just cost big money for the coach, but the assistants will need to be the best money can buy too.  If the administration is willing to fund this thing like it's a major business then we have hope.  Being last or mid tier in the SEC West won't get us there.

The NewEra

Quote from: CPO Hog on October 17, 2017, 12:53:55 pm

After watching the BAMA game plan, I'm wondering if CBB finally realized "his" plan isn't going to work and out of desperation he's letting the coordinators have full control. OR, if he was directed to give the game to the coordinators???

Six games never meant more to Bielema's career than the six coming up.  They may define his entire coaching career.

Auburn, @Ole Miss, Coastal Carolina, @LSU, Mississippi State then Missouri. 

LJHOG

Sure loses = Auburn, LSU and Miss St.  50/50 games = Ole Miss and Missouri.  Probable win = Coastal Carolina.
Good bye Bret.  On to the next guy we fire.  After 30 years I can finally accept we are in over our heads being in the SEC.

East Clintwood

Quote from: The NewEra on October 17, 2017, 11:47:40 am
My concerns are not taking another step backward and maintaining some semblance of continuity. 

I don't want continuity with what we have now.  What we have now isn't working and you don't want to bring any of that over to the new staff.

Clean slate.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

island hog

I think the question is if a new coach were to come to UA and bring Enos as OC and Rhoads as DC, would you be cool with that.  If so, it might make sense to consider some way to keep them in the fold.  I know that I like the style of each and Rhoads is a fantastic recruiter to boot. 

CPO Hog

Quote from: island hog on October 17, 2017, 01:32:30 pm
I think the question is if a new coach were to come to UA and bring Enos as OC and Rhoads as DC, would you be cool with that.  If so, it might make sense to consider some way to keep them in the fold.  I know that I like the style of each and Rhoads is a fantastic recruiter to boot.
I would be cool if CBB is given a dead headset the rest of the year and see what these coordinators can dial up. The new HC may be hiding right under our nose.

The NewEra

Quote from: island hog on October 17, 2017, 01:32:30 pm

You're hitting on one of the points my OP was attempting to make.  If a new coach came in here and announced he was bringing in two former head coaches as coordinators that were well known for their skills on their side of the ball, fans would be overjoyed.  Hogville likes to lump them into the box of people that have to go because they don't like the head coach.  These guys are good at their positions and good fits here at Arkansas with experience in the SEC West.  I hate to see us loose that, but we probably will.  I think the flaws both are showing have been a direct result of what they have been told to do by a head coach that doesn't get it.

Danny J

Quote from: The NewEra on October 17, 2017, 11:47:40 am
Simple...hire a guy who runs a spread offense and plays aggressive on D. That is our only chance with most of the players that we produce locally/regionally. We have some good young talent. Find the right coach and we could win 7-8 games next year.

Danny J

Quote from: CPO Hog on October 17, 2017, 12:53:55 pm

Until the Bama game there had been some subtle changes to game plans but certainly no 2 minute offense and blitzing what seemed like half the time so I would guess he turned his coordinators loose for the part. If he is smart, which is debatable, he would keep that game plan going forward

hoghearted

Quote from: hoglady on October 17, 2017, 11:28:57 am

short and sweet
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

island hog

but they're not just Bielema's assistants... they are our assistants.  It's very doubtful and wouldn't be realistic to add a HC and have him keep both positions as is so it would have to be a situation where one of them is named HC and the other stays on or is asst HC (if there's such a thing ).  For this to happen however, it would need to begin sometime during the latter part of this season...

The NewEra

Quote from: island hog on October 17, 2017, 02:38:58 pm
but they're not just Bielema's assistants... they are our assistants.  It's very doubtful and wouldn't be realistic to add a HC and have him keep both positions as is so it would have to be a situation where one of them is named HC and the other stays on or is asst HC (if there's such a thing ).  For this to happen however, it would need to begin sometime during the latter part of this season...

If Bielema continues to lose I suspect he'll still get to finish out the season if for no other reason than the buyout changes January 1st.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Hogwild on October 17, 2017, 10:59:50 am

I think player development started slipping after Chaney left. Don't think Pittman's heart was in it after that issue. Then we brought in someone that should probably be coaching at a ULM or ULL level and it sunk last year. We are in death throws this year. It's not just putting players in the right places, they have to be prepared for the defensive looks they'll get in the upcoming games. Anderson doesn't have enough collegiate experience to prepare the linemen properly IMO. Too many rules and not enough quality depth. Working with guys in the NFL is an entirely different animal than working with a kid right out of high school.

I just don't think that Anderson is cut out for it yet. He could end up being an All-World OL Coach at anther school in the next 5 years. It's just not working at this point in his career.

It's one thing to known your assignment and get steamrolled by a superior athlete, it's something entirely different when you block the wrong guy completely and get pancaked too.

There's just so much wrong right now, it'll be hard to fix without starting all over.

This is my non-signature signature.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Michael D Huff AIA on October 17, 2017, 11:53:02 am

you are in luck...
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang