Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jeff Long appointed to NCAA Oversight Committie

Started by rhog1, May 24, 2017, 10:29:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

rhog1

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

BorderPatrol

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 24, 2017, 01:40:37 pm
Great news for the Hogs ....or not.

Please explain either statement, if you don't mind.

bp

phadedhawg

I'm not surprised.  Jeff Long is well regarded in the other 49 states lol

LZH

Quote from: phadedhawg on May 24, 2017, 01:42:46 pm
I'm not surprised.  Jeff Long is well regarded in the other 49 states lol

Florida is too close to call....recount.

LRRandy

This is fun, isn't it.

phadedhawg

Quote from: LZH on May 24, 2017, 01:48:39 pm
Florida is too close to call....recount.

oh no....they didn't use those butterfly ballots again did they!?!?!?!?

Cinco de Hogo

Appointed to oversee the money?  Ya that's it!

Wildhog

Good for Jeff.  He sure has done well for himself here.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

DeltaBoy

Quote from: BorderPatrol on May 24, 2017, 01:41:35 pm

bp

It remains to be seen if it helps the Hogs or hurts them.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

oldman1015

Arkansas, the left lane state.

gchamblee

Damn carpetbagger has found one more way to distract himself from getting us more wins /s

PorkRinds

Quote from: Wildhog on May 24, 2017, 02:58:19 pm
Good for Jeff.  He sure has done well for himself here.

He has done well for the school and athletic department as well.

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 24, 2017, 03:59:55 pm
He has done well for the school and athletic department as well.

I was nearly positive it'd be Rice that responded to that. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: Wildhog on May 24, 2017, 04:07:15 pm
Theres 3 or 4 of them they take shifts ;)

ricepig

Well, you'd have been wrong as usual.

PorkRinds

Besides the hiring of John L. Smith I think most everything he's done has been a net positive. One could argue that hiring Petrino was a mistake, but you probably arent one of those, so I won't bother.  ;)

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 24, 2017, 04:28:30 pm
Besides the hiring of John L. Smith I think most everything he's done has been a net positive. One could argue that hiring Petrino was a mistake, but you probably arent one of those, so I won't bother.  ;)

I don't get too worked up about Long.  I'll be curious to see how he reacts to another mediocre season, though. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

GuvHog

Congratulations to Jeff Long!

I'll be nice and leave it at that.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

phadedhawg

Quote from: Wildhog on May 24, 2017, 04:33:38 pm
I don't get too worked up about Long.  I'll be curious to see how he reacts to another mediocre season, though. 

Jeff Long seems like a nice guy and I can see why the athletes respond well to him. 

I do wonder if he's tough enough to make another hard choice in the event this year's football is subpar.  After the local reaction he got for dismissing Petrino I wouldn't blame him if he's a bit gun shy now.  However you can't ignore problems or they will come back to bite you. 

ricepig

What's your win number on mediocre?

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

And if it's 8-4 then we need to win the bowl game.  CBB needs to get to 9 wins this year, IMO.  It's year five.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Wildhog on May 24, 2017, 04:49:20 pm
And if it's 8-4 then we need to win the bowl game.  CBB needs to get to 9 wins this year, IMO.  It's year five.
especially considering he should have won 9 with the last two of those teams.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

hoghearted

Quote from: phadedhawg on May 24, 2017, 04:39:20 pm
Jeff Long seems like a nice guy and I can see why the athletes respond well to him. 

I do wonder if he's tough enough to make another hard choice in the event this year's football is subpar.  After the local reaction he got for dismissing Petrino I wouldn't blame him if he's a bit gun shy now.  However you can't ignore problems or they will come back to bite you. 

I'd say he was well-supported in his decision, outside of Hogville.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

WilsonHog

Good. Positive recognition for Jeff Long is, by definition, positive recognition for the University of Arkansas.

ThisTeetsTaken

***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: phadedhawg on May 24, 2017, 01:53:48 pm
oh no....they didn't use those butterfly ballots again did they!?!?!?!?
Nope but I understand some had "hanging chads". ;) :) :D ;D 8)

Bubba's Bruisers

Petrino made sense at the time just like BB made sense.  I don't see BP as a failed hire at all...it ended under odd circumstances that weren't FB performance related.  Both were home run hires given the circumstances. 

JLS goes without saying, though, but it's the MA hiring that irked me.  However, I'm becoming cautiously optimistic about him. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

PorkSoda

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 24, 2017, 01:40:37 pm
Great news for the Hogs ....or not.

Quote from: BorderPatrol on May 24, 2017, 01:41:35 pm

bp

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 24, 2017, 03:19:16 pm
It remains to be seen if it helps the Hogs or hurts them.
did you really just explain yourself by restating the same thing a different way?
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

greenEGnHAWGS

What?! All he's doing is marketing himself instead of the Hogs! What a money-grabber! Aaaaaagh!

sarcasm/off

Happy for him. I'm glad we have such a well-respected AD.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

Torqued pork

May 25, 2017, 03:41:46 am #31 Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 04:30:12 am by Torqued pork
I fear should he take a job that better fits his enormous stature the SEC money would be cut off and the outdated hope of being occasionally relevant could be rekindled. It would be horrible.

UAfanatic

Respect for the AD is tangentially respect for the program.

In the same way seeing those reach out to the community segments with our players or coaches is good for the hog image.

As far as bad, only that it's news that doesn't have to do with anything on the field..

It won't reflect badly to recruits or their parents, it shouldn't reflect badly to the fanbase, except for the people that
have an axe to grind already..
that it's selfish for him to care about the governing organization enough to be involved and spend time at it.
same with Bielema and the rules committee..
at the very least, they will be very knowledgeable with no surprises..

as an inverse tangent :
Reminds me of the Mad Hatter the first few years when he thought LSU could still win the west because he didn't read the rules.

EastexHawg

The same way he has reacted to mediocre sports programs throughout his career, both here and at Pitt...and there have been a lot of them.

"Yeah, we lost, but how much money do we have in the bank?"

TNhawgfan

When we win 7 games this season, long will praise BB for his team's GPA. May even give him an extension
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

Poker_hog

You're happy with Bert's contract?  It is extremely one sided in favor of Bert and not the university.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

PorkRinds

Quote from: Poker_hog on May 25, 2017, 08:38:11 am
You're happy with Bret's contract?  It is extremely one sided in favor of Bret and not the university.

I'm not a contract expert so I'll leave that to ththe experts.  I do think it was going to take a guarantee similar to that contract to get any big name successful coach here to take over the dumpster fire our program was at the time. In the end I think CBB has been good for us, even if he ends up moving on. He brought stability and got our players on the right track, lowered attrition, and made the program healthier.  If the wins don't start coming he will be gone but the program will be in a much healthier place.  So all in all, no, I'm not too worried about his contract. I think it took that kind of contract to get a known quantity to come here at the time.

LZH

I know this is a big deal to some, but did anyone even have a clue that Dan Mullen was on this committee? Does any average Joe really notice?

BigE_23

Quote from: TNhawgfan on May 25, 2017, 08:36:34 am
When we win 7 games this season, long will praise BB for his team's GPA. May even give him an extension

THIS + another one-sided enormous buyout, and we're stuck in mediocrity forever.

hogsanity

Quote from: EastexHawg on May 25, 2017, 08:36:24 am
The same way he has reacted to mediocre sports programs throughout his career, both here and at Pitt...and there have been a lot of them.

"Yeah, we lost, but how much money do we have in the bank?"

That's the role of the AD, to make sure the athletic department as a whole is well funded & running within the rules. It is the job of the coaches to win games, and at some point if they do not win enough in a certain amount of time ( like Jimmy Dykes ) they get fired.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on May 25, 2017, 08:56:32 am
I know this is a big deal to some, but did anyone even have a clue that Dan Mullen was on this committee? Does any average Joe really notice?

Yep, it's been mentioned several times in interviews with him, now I don't know if it's made any difference to him, the SEC, or college football.

gchamblee

It's funny watching fans get offended by the appointment of our staff to committees.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: gchamblee on May 25, 2017, 12:30:51 pm
It's funny watching fans get offended by the appointment of our staff to committees.

No. It's moronic considering Long has his house in order.

The facilities are once again elite. The programs are all healthy with the exception of women's BB --- which was identified and a fantastic hire was just made. Academic progress continues. The only thing questionable is CBB's performance and that call is still two years out.

Again, only a moron would find fault in this.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

GuvHog

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on May 25, 2017, 01:17:34 pm
No. It's moronic considering Long has his house in order.

The facilities are once again elite. The programs are all healthy with the exception of women's BB --- which was identified and a fantastic hire was just made. Academic progress continues. The only thing questionable is CBB's performance and that call is still two years out.

Again, only a moron would find fault in this.

I find no fault in it.....nor am I offended by it.

Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Calling All Hogs

I'm sure this is a great honor but it just seems a little less impressive since Dan Mullen is who had it before.  :)

PorkSoda

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on May 29, 2017, 02:47:18 pm
I'm sure this is a great honor but it just seems a little less impressive since Dan Mullen is who had it before.  :)
I figured it would have been hugh freeze or penn wagers
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: gchamblee on May 25, 2017, 12:30:51 pm

I'm not offended, I'm gonna start calling Mr Long Daddy and sending him Christmas cards!

ricepig

Calling All Hogs

Quote from: PorkSoda on May 29, 2017, 03:18:12 pm
I figured it would have been hugh freeze or penn wagers
Hugh is an expert at oversight.